• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Kittonwy said:
Cool. I hope they keep pushing the game out there. I'm looking forward to driving past a bustop and seeing an Uncharted ad.
Indifferent2.gif
That might be a bit too hopeful, but I did see a big Uncharted poster in a front display of local EB games - and that was the only poster there. To be honest, I don't think that's ever happened for any PS3 game, so I guess Sony is finally paying to advertise something there.

Kittonwy

Banned
Marconelly said:
That might be a bit too hopeful, but I did see a big Uncharted poster in a front display of local EB games - and that was the only poster there. To be honest, I don't think that's ever happened for any PS3 game, so I guess Sony is finally paying to advertise something there.

I used to see SOTC ads at the movies, I wonder if they will have movie ads for this game, I'm not sure why they don't leverage Sony Stores and have a demo station set up just running the game in Hi-def, I mean it's going to turn heads and it might sell more TVs AND PS3s.
Indifferent2.gif

Basch

Kittonwy said:
I used to see SOTC ads at the movies, I wonder if they will have movie ads for this game, I'm not sure why they don't leverage Sony Stores and have a demo station set up just running the game in Hi-def, I mean it's going to turn heads and it might sell more TVs AND PS3s.
Indifferent2.gif

I wish there were more video game ads before the movies. They deserve it. Not some Sprite and Walmart advertisement. What the hell are these doing in my movies anyways? :lol But I can tell you as of now, there is no preview for Uncharted before Beowulf. Considering the medium, it wouldn't have been a bad idea to put one there. :D

Kittonwy

Banned
Basch said:
I wish there were more video game ads before the movies. They deserve it. Not some Sprite and Walmart advertisement. What the hell are these doing in my movies? :lol But I can tell you as of now, there is no preview for Uncharted before Beowulf. Considering the medium, it wouldn't have been a bad idea to put one there. :D
If Uncharted had a wallmart commercial it would probably be some dude swinging from his tree house, popping through his tire swing going "pew pew pew!!!"
Indifferent2.gif

Basch

Kittonwy said:
If Uncharted had a wallmart commercial it would probably be some dude swinging from his tree house, popping through his tire swing going "pew pew pew!!!"
Indifferent2.gif

Followed by a commercial of the same kid breaking his neck because of hitting the car in the driveway.

Good news, I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geiko! :D

I'm only to Chapter 5,
scaling the outside of some fortress
, but I must say, holy shit is this game pretty. It might not be at that CoD4 level, but Uncharted is the only game I've played where I consistently mistake an interactive section for a cutscene. Routinely, I'll think I'm going to watch him climb something, etc. only to discover the game is waiting for me to do it. :D

gray_fox224

Captain Glanton said:
I'm only to Chapter 5,
scaling the outside of some fortress
, but I must say, holy shit is this game pretty. It might not be at that CoD4 level, but Uncharted is the only game I've played where I consistently mistake an interactive section for a cutscene. Routinely, I'll think I'm going to watch him climb something, etc. only to discover the game is waiting for me to do it. :D

Ditto. Before I bought the game, I was hearing so many Gaffers praising the graphics; suffice to say, I wholeheartedly agree.

Im on my third play through just beat crushing.

This is by far the best game I have played this year and in fact the best gaming experience I have had since SOTC. Its a true testament to how great this game plays that I want to go through it yet again on crushing and on mirror mode just because I find the gunplay so damn satisfying.

And this is by far absolutely no hands down dont care if you try to argue from a art perspective the best looking console game created. Third play-through and I still stop and gawk at the damn thing and go through the huge pain of the ass of taking some pictures with my horrible camera and the process of uploading them just to share the joy.

So yeah awesome.

8ffnot3.jpg

6yk21l4.jpg

8c3mnpz.jpg

6tpofww.jpg

7yg6tde.jpg

7wrwlq9.jpg

6nro4g2.jpg

8anareh.jpg

6tb0mxw.jpg

89q9kyr.jpg

6jkl440.jpg

86rh1so.jpg

72vm6j4.jpg

Basch

BruceLeeRoy said:

This is by far the best game I have played this year and in fact the best gaming experience I have had since SOTC. Its a true testament to how great this game plays that I want to go through it yet again on crushing and on mirror mode just because I find the gunplay so damn satisfying.

And this is by far absolutely no hands down dont care if you try to argue from a art perspective the best looking console game created. Third play-through and I still stop and gawk at the damn thing and go through the huge pain of the ass of taking some pictures with my horrible camera and the process of uploading them just to share the joy.

So yeah awesome.

Thanks! It truly is a joy to see. I can't believe I am still waiting to play this game. God, the wait is killing me.

Basch said:
Thanks! It truly is a joy to see. I can't believe I am still waiting to play this game. God, the wait is killing me.

Basch I thought you had it by now!
Thats a criminal offense but I cant wait for you to play it.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Those are very nice pictures indeed! Now I have a question the holster Drake has on his back in the demo it has jaggies even though I am playing at 720p is this the same in Full game?
It is something that bothered me every time I just stood too see the scenery.

Basch

BruceLeeRoy said:
Basch I thought you had it by now!
Thats a criminal offense but I cant wait for you to play it.

I do have it. But I put it away until I finish some other games. It also helps me keep my focus away from other games that are coming out around it. There is just so many good games coming out this year.

vpance

Any chance for some downloadable content? I guess they have to see how the sales are first though. A nice 3-4 hour sidestory plus time attack and gauntlet modes would be cool.

I hope they take it farther than that though, and do some episodic content.

Basch

vpance said:
Any chance for some downloadable content? I guess they have to see how the sales are first though. A nice 3-4 hour sidestory plus time attack and gauntlet modes would be cool.

I hope they take it farther than that though, and do some episodic content.

I don't think they have anything planned as of now, but there is a possibility. In fact, here is the official response...

Evan Wells comments on future PSN possibilities.

Also noticed that there is a comment about future Jak and Daxter games in there as well. Either they are being very secretive about the project or it is yet another kick in the ... :D to eager fans waiting for a sequel. Regardless, if they are wrapped up in their next project a month or two from now, I would say there will probably be no downloadable content.

Speevy

Banned
I just started a certain chapter, and I'm not sure why this game just became
Doom
, but it better quit in a big hurry.

Kittonwy

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:

So yeah awesome.

Yep I agree, it's simply fun to replay it through, probably one of only a handful of games where I don't feel burned out after finishing it and can just start a new game right away. Nice pics btw.
Indifferent2.gif

Oh and best water on consoles, period.
Indifferent2.gif

quetz67

Banned
The Wispy Scoundrel said:
I played the demo for the first time the other night and was pretty shocked at just how much combat there is. I figured it would be straight up platforming with small firefights tossed in every now and again, and it's actually quite disappointing to find out it's the other way round.
Looks fucking stunning though!
I hoped for a **** Raider Jump&Climb game too, but they way it turned out I am perfectly happy.

It wasnt as expected, its not constant climb&jump stuff thrown in, it is some half dozen climbing parts, which are huge, but pretty easy. They all feel quite satisfying with the dramatic camera angles. It is like climbing the cathedral in Acre, just that the settings are very different.

The firefights are even more satisfying than expected. I found the demo being pretty easy even on hard with many covers available (having some kind of doorway makes is super easy).

The full game varies the settings a lot (more open, you or the enemies on higher ground and lots more), which makes the fighting so fresh everytime.

Kittonwy said:
Yep I agree, it's simply fun to replay it through, probably one of only a handful of games where I don't feel burned out after finishing it and can just start a new game right away. Nice pics btw.
Indifferent2.gif

Indifferent2.gif

Damn water actually makes me thirsty.

Kittonwy said:
Indifferent2.gif

Indifferent2.gif

Best fucking ocean/coastal/mountains horizon shot, period. So gorgeous.

Gigglepoo

Just finished the game. Am I the only person to think this game has a ton of similarities with Robinson Crusoe? It seems like the main source of inspiration.

DarKaoZ

Banned
Dunno, this game is like SOTC and HS to me. It was amazing/epic on the first time you play the game, but then you play it again and it missing something. But then you wait around 2 months or so, then you pick it up again and start playing and the amazing feeling returns.

That is why I keep most of my games, you enjoy playing them again later on.

Steroyd

I've had this puppy pre-ordered since the 14th of November, just 5 more days to go ^_^ if play don't fuck this up. :mad:

Shuld be enough time to finish some of my backlog.

quetz67

Banned
Steroyd said:
I've had this puppy pre-ordered since the 14th of November, just 5 more days to go ^_^ if play don't fuck this up. :mad:

Shuld be enough time to finish some of my backlog.
import is your friend, faster and cheaper

_RT_

XonoX said:
220 pages is too many to go through, and i can't find any dedicated threads on the subject, but is this game freezing for anybody else ?

It happens at least once maybe more times per session for me.

The first jungle scene after the boat i froze three times before i found the ruins through the narrow passage.

Has only been a few lockups sice then but generally it is freezing more than Assasins Creed !

Happened to me once.
It was in a scene when I was being chased by
the creatures.

The Chef

On my second time through, this time on hard. I amazed how much better I am at the game now. Hard seems to be not so bad. I cant wait to play it on Crushing.

I dont know if anyone else does this but every time I am about to play I end up sitting at the title screen, turning up the volume and listening to the music.

any word on a soundtrack?

Basch

The Chef said:
On my second time through, this time on hard. I amazed how much better I am at the game now. Hard seems to be not so bad. I cant wait to play it on Crushing.

I dont know if anyone else does this but every time I am about to play I end up sitting at the title screen, turning up the volume and listening to the music.

Something about iTunes, I think. Unless that was just that remix, but I think it is the soundtrack.

I still have yet to get this game! I'm still busy with Call of Duty 4 and I'm low on funds this month to buy anything more. :|

Those pics that BruceLeeRoy posted are gorgeous! Makes it the more painful to wait!!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The Chef said:

I do the same all the time. You can get whole soundtrack on Itunes (just search for Uncharted), and it's in Itunes Plus, non-DRM format to boot.

Beat this over the weekended and the game was a total blast the whole way through. Even coming off just having beaten Mass Effect (awesome itself) I just absolutely love Uncharted. Its got such excellent pacing, a good story, amazing characters, and the game never felt tired, boring, or repetative. I will definetly always being holding onto this game. My only request in the sequel is to see more cool chase/runaway type scenarios like
the breaking bamboo segment at the begining or running/shooting from the creatures
and maybe a few more puzzles.

Pimpwerx

Looks like Crushing will have to wait until I'm done tinkering with my new lappy later this week. For the sequel, I'd just ask for some sort of online co-op...at least for some special mode. The AI is quite good, and I know I'd love to have another ace at my side during some of those Crushing fights. The pacing of the firefights in this game beg for an ally. We'll see how those shotty whores like getting outflanked themselves. :D

I'd ask for more weapons too, but there is already a nice selection. Perhaps some sort of remote mine/bomb device that'll offer a last-ditch retreat option. It would be great for setting flanker traps to buy a little bit more time. More sniper rifle spawn points would be nice...that or nade launcher spawns. Whatever the case, make the target reticule a bit easier to see for us sucker stuck on SDTV. What I would really like would be access to the fancier guns earlier. It seems like all the great guns got dumped on us in just a few chapters. It fits with the story, but still....

I'd like one of the reward modes to be the debug mode they showed in the "Making of..." videos. The debug mode that showed the line of sight for all the enemies in the scene. I'd like this as a reward b/c I could REALLY use this on Crushing. I already know they'll spot me, but seeing the color changes associated with the different AI awareness levels would be a great training tool for those of us hoping to actually master Crushing. Hell, it would be fantastic for a general tutorial mode, period. Not sure why they chose to leave it out of the finished game. Please make this a patched item.

Otherwise, I can't stop talking about this game. PEACE.

Pimpwerx said:
Looks like Crushing will have to wait until I'm done tinkering with my new lappy later this week. For the sequel, I'd just ask for some sort of online co-op...at least for some special mode. The AI is quite good, and I know I'd love to have another ace at my side during some of those Crushing fights. The pacing of the firefights in this game beg for an ally. We'll see how those shotty whores like getting outflanked themselves. :D

Oh man I completely agree with the online co-op my god that would be so kick ass.

Brashnir

Speevy said:
I just started a certain chapter, and I'm not sure why this game just became
Doom
, but it better quit in a big hurry.

It will quit in a bit of a hurry. Not because it stops, but because the game ends. The last hour or two of the game are a severe buzzkill.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Brashnir said:
It will quit in a bit of a hurry. Not because it stops, but because the game ends. The last hour or two of the game are a severe buzzkill.
The part he refers to ends well before the whole game ends. And buzzkill? It would be a buzzkill if the game didn't have something like that.

the_id

The last hour or two isn't a buzzkill. Its a complete turn 180 degree to gameplay! When that happens, it becomes 2x AFW!

Gigglepoo

No one else sees the parallels to Robinson Crusoe? Both main characters eschew a normal life in an attempt to strike it rich on deserted/uncivilized islands. Both find a footprint in the mud, foreshadowing something will happen in the future. Both encounter previously unexpected (and extremely similar) island inhabitants. I'm sure there are more, but it's been awhile since I read Robinson Crusoe. Seemed pretty obvious to me, though. And who doesn't enjoy shout outs to classic British literature?

Gigglepoo said:
No one else sees the parallels to Robinson Crusoe? Both main characters eschew a normal life in an attempt to strike it rich on deserted/uncivilized islands. Both find a footprint in the mud, foreshadowing something will happen in the future. Both encounter previously unexpected (and extremely similar) island inhabitants. I'm sure there are more, but it's been awhile since I read Robinson Crusoe. Seemed pretty obvious to me, though. And who doesn't enjoy shout outs to classic British literature?

Im sure I would totally see it I just never got into Robinson Crusoe so I couldn't say.

Ok, mine just froze up for the first time, it was during the
run towards the camera, creatures chasing, shooting over nates shoulder bit.

When it happened, my DS3 went crazy, wouldn't stop rumbling.

The Chef

BlindMonkey said:

Same thing happened to me. Reload and try it again - shouldn't happen more than once

also thanks Basch and Marconelly for the music help.
Especially you dark10x ;)

Brashnir

Marconelly said:
The part he refers to ends well before the whole game ends. And buzzkill? It would be a buzzkill if the game didn't have something like that.

Well before? There's one short level after the last of them, which is even worse for its own reasons. From the moment those things show up, the game goes into the crapper.

Gigglepoo

BruceLeeRoy said:
Im sure I would totally see it I just never got into Robinson Crusoe so I couldn't say.

You should check it out. :D

By the way, you may have seen various posts from me during my time on GAF saying "Sequels are bad! I only want new IPs!"

Uncharted has joined an extremely small group of games that I am eagerly awaiting a new entry. Honestly, this may be the best new IP I have played since, um, I don't know. It's been years. It seems like new IPs suffer from lack of focus. For instance, God of War and Pikmin weren't amazing, but their sequels took their ideas to the next level. They streamlined the experience, focusing on what makes the property fun and unique. Naughty Dog nailed that idea with their first Uncharted. This feels like a sequel, and I mean that in a good way. I cannot imagine what a new iteration would bring.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
BlindMonkey said:

yep, it froze up at the same spot for me. on normal, on Hard, not up to there yet on Crushing

Top Bottom