• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Forsete

konrad77 said:
I know its off-topic. But I just read in a Swedish gaming magazine that Naughty Dog is (rumoured) leaving Sony. (They got inspired by Bungie to be indepedent and they wanted to create games for other plattforms than Sony's). The magazine is called GameReactor but its known for its Xboxfanboyism, but whats your take?

lol

Gamereactor having a scoop like this, not being reported anywhere else.. yeah.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Spend the last three years developing a PS3-specific engine. Then do games for other platforms. Makes perfect sense!

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
btw, there is an interesting multi-part interview with Wells going on at threespeech.

http://threespeech.com/blog/?p=767#more-767

some quotes

about powa said:
Currently the Uncharted engine isn’t even taking complete advantage of all the processors on the Cell chip. We’re essentially using about 1/3 of the power that’s being offered at this time. So if the Cell processor was improved in future iterations of the hardware, it would have no effect on the overall performance of Uncharted.

about screen-tearing said:
Screen tearing is something that occurs when your frame rate dips below 30Hz. When you drop frame rate you have a choice to either drop all the way to 20Hz, or allow the screen to tear and only have the frame rate drop to 28 or 29Hz. We felt that with the frequency that it occurs, that the latter choice had a smaller impact on most player’s experiences. In fact, the vast majority of people don’t even notice it. Now ideally, our frame rate would never drop below 30Hz, but with the amount of stuff we’re doing every frame in Uncharted, inevitably it will happen occasionally. However, it’s definitely something we will be able to improve on in future games as we make optimizations to our engine.

about HOME said:
Rather than each individual treasure, the Medals in Uncharted are more likely going to turn into Home trophies. We modelled the detail into the treasures just to increase the satisfaction in finding them. We also went to great lengths to make sure that they were authentic items that were from the right time period and location. We will have to come up with new 3D models to represent the trophies when the time comes.

wazoo

I was wondering if tearing happens on progressive TV ?? I thought it was a problem of loss of sync between even and odd line on interlaced TV ?

ascii42

wazoo said:
I was wondering if tearing happens on progressive TV ?? I thought it was a problem of loss of sync between even and odd line on interlaced TV ?
Well, that's part of it. But it can happen in progressive scan as well. Any time the frame rate doesn't match up with the TV's refresh rate, tearing will happen.

konrad77

Forsete said:
lol

Gamereactor having a scoop like this, not being reported anywhere else.. yeah.
Well they also said that Cory Barlog left Sony for a better offer at Microsoft. And they still claim Gears of War is the most impressive "next gen" title out there.. I know that they are a bunch of fanboys, but its always intresting to hear rumours like this.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Well, I just picked up Uncharted today at the local store (I had no idea the Japanese release was even out). I'm going to start playing it in a few minutes. I can't wait!

Defuser

thetrin said:
Well, I just picked up Uncharted today at the local store (I had no idea the Japanese release was even out). I'm going to start playing it in a few minutes. I can't wait!
Be sure to give us some good impressions!!!

tick221

I put this back in after not being able to connect to COD4 game(damn you IW, fix the servers ) and once again I'm blown away by how good this game looks.

I'm still early in the game, the part where Drake is traversing the waterfall after the plane gets shot down.Without a doubt the BEST graphics I've EVER seen in a game. The way the sun was bouncing off the water and the fact that you could see the river rock below the water at the edge of the falls.

The level of detail that went into this game amazes me, WOW, just WOW

Ganondorfo

So I've beaten this game a hour ago, these are my impressions

+ graphics: it really looks amazing: the enemies, jungle, water
+ music: the main theme reminded me of the last of the mohicans main theme, there were also other tracks that impressed me, mostly music that you can hear on the main menu
+script: amazing script for this kinda cliche adventure game, it has some amazing character moments, great dialogues, every character has an amazing personality (nate, elena, sullivan)
+gameplay, cover system is very good, the combo fighting system is also good when you are out of ammo
+plottwist: you know which on, it's at the end of the game,
it made the game not feel anymore as an adventure but more as a survival horror; bunker level

- it's not fun that you cannot take every weapon with you, you only have the option between a shotgun and a machine gun, you can't take both with you, that's a minor complaint from me
-the game is sometimes too frustrating, mostly when you need to fight against 10 enemies (laser guys, grenade launcher guys) or more, because they can kill you in one hit.
-game should have had more checkpoints

Conclusion: 9.3/10

Ganondorfo said:
+plottwist: you know which on, it's at the end of the game,
it made the game not feel anymore as an adventure but more as a survival horror; bunker level

i hated this level, the enemies looked like the ones from Stalker...

Kittonwy

Banned
TTP said:
btw, there is an interesting multi-part interview with Wells going on at threespeech.

some quotes

The treasures are so damn well-done, I wish they would include more detailed description for each of them in the next Uncharted game rawr.
IndifferentSanta.gif

quetz67

Banned
Ganondorfo said:
-the game is sometimes too frustrating, mostly when you need to fight against 10 enemies (laser guys, grenade launcher guys) or more, because they can kill you in one hit.
strange, I am usually a real weaksauce gamer, but there was only one fight I really had problems with (inside the fortess, that open fight in the water- played on hard btw.). All others offer so much cover, you just need to take your time

and I rarely saw a game with more or more fair checkpoints. two times I died of a fall and even respawned at the next checkpoint already.

This isnt really a secret per say but I found it interesting.

In the
fortress level after you clear all the baddies out where the tower is that has the 2 keys you need to get at the top. Normally you would run through the gate and begin in the task of traversing and pushing the tops of the columns down.
Well you can completely skip that if you are at the top level next to the tower you can run and jump across grabbing one of the ledges you need to wrap around the fortress and then get quick access to the tower.

Its nice that the game isnt reliant on the scripted sequences.
Also if your going for time this would shave a good amount off.

TTP said:

some quotes

Thats excellent thanks TTP.

konrad77 said:
I know its off-topic. But I just read in a Swedish gaming magazine that Naughty Dog is (rumoured) leaving Sony. (They got inspired by Bungie to be indepedent and they wanted to create games for other plattforms than Sony's). The magazine is called GameReactor but its known for its Xboxfanboyism, but whats your take?

I find this to be BS.
ND is treated like royalty with Sony they are free to do whatever franchises they want.
They have complete creative freedom and a blank check from Sony.
Totally different situation than Bungie found themselves in.

quetz67 said:
strange, I am usually a real weaksauce gamer, but there was only one fight I really had problems with (inside the fortess, that open fight in the water- played on hard btw.). All others offer so much cover, you just need to take your time

and I rarely saw a game with more or more fair checkpoints. two times I died of a fall and even respawned at the next checkpoint already.

That part in crushing can be a nightmare till you get the hang of the shotgun and grenade. :D

kbear

Currently the Uncharted engine isn’t even taking complete advantage of all the processors on the Cell chip. We’re essentially using about 1/3 of the power that’s being offered at this time. So if the Cell processor was improved in future iterations of the hardware, it would have no effect on the overall performance of Uncharted.
Holy crap.. PS3 is a monster

GeoramA

Started the game last night, now at chapter 10. This game is addicting as hell and the graphics are unbelieveable. The medals are so rewarding as well. I just unlocked the Naughty Dog Drake skin and put the code in for the baseball shirt skin. Three different outfits ftw!

rothbart

konrad77 said:

My take is that GameReactor wanted people talking about them. In other news, the PS3 is dropping the Cell processor in favor of a Motorola 68000 CPU. And all TV manufacturers are going back to standard def within the year. :lol

Dave1988

Got Uncharted today. Already on chapter 15. LOVING it so far. This will be probably my GotY and a game I will repeadetly return to evan after getting 100%. I have a question though:
are there any other combo inputs outside of square x5 and square, triangle, square?

Dave1988 said:
Got Uncharted today. Already on chapter 15. LOVING it so far. This will be probably my GotY and a game I will repeadetly return to evan after getting 100%. I have a question though:
are there any other combo inputs outside of square x5 and square, triangle, square?

Oh yeah man you can do all kinds of crazy stuff try mixing shooting your gun in with the combos.

Just finished the GOTY on Crushing! It was damn hard, but so worth it! I am sitting here with 970 points (Dynomite Expert is what I am missing) and about 35+ playing hours and I could start another play-through and still not be tired of this game. I just got Assassin's Creed from Gamefly, so I think I will play it some now. I hope Uncharted doesn't ruin it for me. Oh well, if it does, I will just play it again!

cjtiger300 said:
Just finished the GOTY on Crushing! It was damn hard, but so worth it! I am sitting here with 970 points (Dynomite Expert is what I am missing) and about 35+ playing hours and I could start another play-through and still not be tired of this game. I just got Assassin's Creed from Gamefly, so I think I will play it some now. I hope Uncharted doesn't ruin it for me. Oh well, if it does, I will just play it again!

Oh man I hope your experience is better than mine.
I rented AC played for about a hour once the initial wow this is a sweet city wore off I went back to Uncharted. Probably will try to finally beat COD4 once I am done.

Z3F

Banned
I still can't get the square, triangle, square combo after reading you guys' advice. What's most annoying is that the game doesn't give you many chances to practice. I think the unarmed combat would have been more fun if they had designed levels that focused on that aspect.

BruceLeeRoy said:
Oh man I hope your experience is better than mine.
I rented AC played for about a hour once the initial wow this is a sweet city wore off I went back to Uncharted. Probably will try to finally beat COD4 once I am done.

Yeah, I hope it is OK. I know it will not be a Uncharted, but I have been looking forward to AC for a long time now (since E3 2005). I will give it a shot. COD4 is what I played right before Uncharted. The SP is very short, but very intense. It is a superb FPS. The Multi player is a lot of fun too, although I prefer Warhawk to get my MP fix.

deepbrown

Z3F said:
I still can't get the square, triangle, square combo after reading you guys' advice. What's most annoying is that the game doesn't give you many chances to practice. I think the unarmed combat would have been more fun if they had designed levels that focused on that aspect.
Lol dude! It's easy! Timing...just do it slow. Square....triangle....square. I couldn't do the 5 square one cause i was doing it too slow. My favorite combo is blind shoot shoot and then knock them out by one punch, or sliding to knock out there feet.

I also like square r1 square to give them a bitch slap with my gun.

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
deepbrown said:
Lol dude! It's easy! Timing...just do it slow. Square....triangle....square. I couldn't do the 5 square one cause i was doing it too slow. My favorite combo is blind shoot shoot and then knock them out by one punch, or sliding to knock out there feet.

I also like square r1 square to give them a bitch slap with my gun.

Oh man i love the sliding one! This game is all kinds of greatness....and the idea that treasures in game are Treasures/Trophies in HOME is really really cool.

Kittonwy

Banned
cjtiger300 said:
Yeah, I hope it is OK. I know it will not be a Uncharted, but I have been looking forward to AC for a long time now (since E3 2005). I will give it a shot. COD4 is what I played right before Uncharted. The SP is very short, but very intense. It is a superb FPS. The Multi player is a lot of fun too, although I prefer Warhawk to get my MP fix.

Uncharted ruined COD4 for me, COD4 was just a step down in terms of enemy AI, freedom of character movement, and outdated game design given I had to physically step over a certain invisible barrier to stop enemies from spawning at certain places. I did like SP in COD4, it's just that there were a bunch of things that really got in the way of playability, headshots in Uncharted is just totally awesome, compounded by the fact that as a player I can do it so often, I'm not limited to a few sniper bullets, as long as I can aim quickly, I can score a headshot. And K&L was completely unplayable after I finished Uncharted on crushing.

deepbrown

"so i finished uncharted in only 6 and a half hours on normal... wtf??? i would give it 8/10 max... only the graphics and cutscenes were great, the fights were very frustrating, game itself very linear :("

"the difficulty was crazy sometimes, i just couldn't hide anywhere and 3-4 shots and i was dead... frustration pure. They should probably study GearsOfWar/Killswitch more, cause the cover system was not quite polished enough."

"ehm but the enemies were too tough, sharpshooters from hell!! when i jumped out of cover it was a certain death for me... and i don't know why they didn't used invincibility on the hero when you attacked someone with melee, cause why should i attack someone from upclose when i know, that the others standing around would kill me... i just played too many games, and therefor i see, that this game needed a few more polishes and finetuning."

So help him out will ya?

Kweh

I don't know if I'm being daft, but I'm stuck at
the plane wreck
- no idea where to go. I have had a drink :lol

Wollan

QA @ ThreeSpeech said:
Designing the 3D polygonal medals & rewards for Uncharted, was this done so you could use the same resource for trophies in Home? As in, the patch that will eventually add Home trophies to Uncharted won’t need to come included with heavy graphic files for the trophies?

Rather than each individual treasure, the Medals in Uncharted are more likely going to turn into Home trophies. We modelled the detail into the treasures just to increase the satisfaction in finding them. We also went to great lengths to make sure that they were authentic items that were from the right time period and location. We will have to come up with new 3D models to represent the trophies when the time comes.
That was my question actually. Nice.

Barnolde

Banned
Beat it last night, loved it, wished it had more platforming though. The production values were amazing; graphics, animations, sound, voices, everything, just amazing.

I'd probably give it a 9/10, only things I didn't like were the jetski parts, felt it broke up the pacing too much. I didn't mind the 'twist' at the end, since it was so late in the game and playing it hard was perfect. Some parts, like the last level were frustrating, but it was never cheap.

Ganondorfo said:
- it's not fun that you cannot take every weapon with you, you only have the option between a shotgun and a machine gun, you can't take both with you, that's a minor complaint from me
So basically, your only complaints are that the game is too hard for you...

Jtrizzy

can someone tell me what the secret medals are? I still haven't got the 5 consecutive head shots(yeah yeah fuck off), the one where you soften them up, and the hidden ones.

Top Bottom