• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Tiduz

Eurogaime
DS3.jpg

Game will even be more awesome now :D, Time to do some treasure hunting ^_^

painey

the_id said:
There are some continuity issues in the story telling. They should hire the girl who did continuity checks for the Harry Potter books.

I noticed that after Drake removes his "necklace" and before Elena gives it back, he was wearing it in at least 1 cut scene

deepbrown

painey said:
I noticed that after Drake removes his "necklace" and before Elena gives it back, he was wearing it in at least 1 cut scene
The only weird thing I saw was that he ripped off his necklass...but the string was intact :p

quetz67

Banned
Yoboman said:
Uncharted is 90% at GR now, that should make some of you review addicts happy
it does...next stop 95%

about the ending:

I could have done with a supernatural twist, but I think it worked out well the way they did it. As in an action movie the second big plot point usually comes with a change in pace and this sure is one. I didnt think the gunplay was at any time boring, but this sudden adrenaline rush was very welcome (played on hard the first time through and the bunker fights were really intense, wow at the lighting and creating those bunker corridors).

The first time I read about spanish Zombies I thought about some slow RE type zombies in spanish armor, but even if that would have been nice, they wouldnt offer the strong motivation to prevent the Eldorado getting off the island. If not the fights before the great scene when you drop into the water close to the end really gives you that motivation.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I loved Uncharted. And the reason is because of the voice-acting. The gameplay is almost placeholder when you compare it to the quality of the voice-acting, but that is not saying the gameplay is bad. However, Uncharted would be average if it had the voice-acting and writing of 99.9% of all games on the market right now. When you consider that I do not regret spending $60 on Uncharted at all, I think it speaks volumes about the production values.

klee123

Yes the production values are insane, but personally I also had a crapload of fun with the gameplay. The game on hard makes the enemies so challenging and unlike other games *cough* COD4 *cough* you don't feel frustrated when you die.

The only thingg I would have liked is more platform segments and perhaps an online co-op mode. I also wouldn't mind if they add some melee weapons for the sequel.

linsivvi

cjtiger300 said:
This is the best game period this year. I haven't played a FPS that is better than Uncharted. The IGN interview puts it in perspective. Nolan North is a Veteran of voicing video games. Hell, you could say he is one of the most casted voice actors ever in video games. He said he has done nothing like this before. That is saying a lot. That is what makes this game special. Some of the early reviews on this game are a JOKE. Many said that Uncharted did nothing new. Hell, here is one of the best Voice actors around saying he has NEVER done a job like this. I would say that is new wouldn't you?

Just look around in GAF, most of the GOTY lists don't even include Uncharted. This is such a joke. :(

GottiDC said:
its nice to see people recongnize the game really well, the game is the best game to come out this year, that is not a fps.
congrate nd, for making a fantastic game

I was a little worried about this game not getting the sales it deserved but not anymore.
Its such a good game its going to continue to ramp up in sales I think just based on word of mouth.
I told my cousin to pick it up this weekend and he is strictly a sport / fps player and he finally did and played it
with some friends up to about chapter 5. They were so blown away 2 of them bought PS3's and the game.
I think its just going to continue to spread. As all the love for the other games that came out this season(Not talking about SMG) Uncharted is the one were still for the most part gushing over I think it will continue to just have solid sales for a long time.

I have almost finished COD4 and I am absolutely loving it but it is being overhyped to a crazy degree.
After play UC and seeing what a absolute complete package of a game your getting it really makes the
flaws of other games stand out. I rented AC and unfortunately just could get more than a hour or 2 in it
it just felt so clunky because of UC. It really at least in my mind is in a league of its own.

Fady K

Tiduz said:
DS3.jpg

Game will even be more awesome now :D, Time to do some treasure hunting ^_^

Wooo mine in a week! So whats the difference between getting it now or waiting for the US version if they'll work with the US games anyway?

Fady K

AltogetherAndrews said:
They mustn't have played the whole game. Fuck you ND, cut you and fuck you right in the wound for doing this to me.

Huh? Whats up Andrews? Don't spoil anything though cause im starting the game next week.

Sylar

Banned
I think if my Wii sale goes through, i'll be getting Uncharted as my first PS3 game :D. I heard it's awesome and reading this thread is making me giddy :(.

Fady K said:
Huh? Whats up Andrews? Don't spoil anything though cause im starting the game next week.

Eh, no can do. If I explained it further, it'd have to contain spoilers. Revisit the commentary after finishing the game and all will become clear. God damned suckbutt ND.

antiloop

I went to see a movie at the cinema today with a couple of friends. 1st time I saw a PS3 commercial there. (yay for SCEE)

Uncharted looks even more awesome on a big screen. My friends that aren't into gaming want a PS3 now. That commercial surprised me. :eek:

dalyr95

Fucking amazing, the game is a technical and artistic triumph, this deserves to sell gangbusters and get the recogintion it deserves

Kittonwy

Banned
cjtiger300 said:
This is the best game period this year. I haven't played a FPS that is better than Uncharted. The IGN interview puts it in perspective. Nolan North is a Veteran of voicing video games. Hell, you could say he is one of the most casted voice actors ever in video games. He said he has done nothing like this before. That is saying a lot. That is what makes this game special. Some of the early reviews on this game are a JOKE. Many said that Uncharted did nothing new. Hell, here is one of the best Voice actors around saying he has NEVER done a job like this. I would say that is new wouldn't you?

Production value aside, I think it's easy to take for granted some of the things that Uncharted does gameplay-wise when it's something one doesn't notice, the button placement, how smooth aiming and movement is, how responsive everything is, how they could have had the smoothest fucking animations but they chose to place responsiveness ahead of animations, how smart the AI is but how it's never frustrating to fight against them. Everything from the camera to controls to just how the levels are set up and paced is indicative of how much fucking work Naughty Dog put in. It takes someone playing a clunky game to realize just how fucking awesome this game is, it makes 99% of the games out there fucking unplayable.
Indifferent2.gif

Basch

AltogetherAndrews said:
It's a great game and a real shitty one too.

Maybe you could use some music. I subscribe you to ultimate Angela Aki. Have fun! :D

I think the song will comfort you. It has to do with what you are going through. Uncharted is calling you back.

Basch

Kittonwy said:
Production value aside, I think it's easy to take for granted some of the things that Uncharted does gameplay-wise when it's something one doesn't notice, the button placement, how smooth aiming and movement is, how responsive everything is, how they could have had the smoothest fucking animations but they chose to place responsiveness ahead of animations, how smart the AI is but how it's never frustrating to fight against them. Everything from the camera to controls to just how the levels are set up and paced is indicative of how much fucking work Naughty Dog put in. It takes someone playing a clunky game to realize just how fucking awesome this game is, it makes 99% of the games out there fucking unplayable.
Indifferent2.gif

I know what you mean. I had a similar situation with Resistance. My friends and I decided that we would play Halo 3 together. But after coming off Resistance, Halo was almost unplayable at first. I used to think Halo had one of the best FPS control layouts: it was just so natural. But then Resistance came into my life. Let me just say, I could only play Halo 3 for about a hour. I think I need to take it easy and go back into the campaign. After all, you know somethings wrong if you are poking at buttons to see what they do after quite a few matches. :lol

Kittonwy

Banned
Basch said:
I know what you mean. I had a similar situation with Resistance. My friends and I decided that we would play Halo 3 together. But after coming off Resistance, Halo was almost unplayable at first. I used to think Halo had one of the best FPS control layouts: it was just so natural. But then Resistance came into my life. Let me just say, I could only play Halo 3 for about a hour. I think I need to take it easy and go back into the campaign. After all, you know somethings wrong if you are poking at buttons to see what they do after quite a few matches. :lol

The way that they executed various gameplay aspects was just so damn smart, I'm not sure if I can ever play another 3D shooter the same way again.

Oh and Jaffe who's talking about Indiana Jones in your blog, PLAY UNCHARTED RAWR.
Indifferent2.gif

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
YES YES YES YES YES YES!

Can anyone tell why I'm so happy!?!?!?

This is my second and a half'th time through Uncharted and something just clicked. The game immediately became super fun. I don't know what the **** happened, but a huge chunk of that giant buyer's remorse from buying a PS3 has been obliterated.

Oh my God! I've played Ratchet countless times to "make" it fun, but it didn't work. But it worked with Uncharted! YES!

Before, Uncharted was like "eh" and now it's "aaah!"

Oh God I'm so happy. I hope this feeling lasts until next week. I plan on going through the game on Crushing and hopefully carrying on this new "super fun" feeling with me.

I just re-read my post. I sound like a damn child...Whatever, children are good at being happy!

Kittonwy

Banned
dirtmonkey37 said:
YES YES YES YES YES YES!

This is my second and a half'th time through Uncharted and something just clicked. The game immediately became super fun. I don't know what the **** happened, but a huge chunk of that giant buyer's remorse from buying a PS3 has been obliterated.

Oh my God! I've played Ratchet countless times to "make" it fun, but it didn't work. But it worked with Uncharted! YES!

Oh God I'm so happy. I hope this feeling lasts until next week. I plan on going through the game on Crushing and hopefully carrying on this new "super fun" feeling with me.

I just re-read my post. I sound like a damn child...Whatever, children are good at being happy!

I'm happy that you're happy.
gladtomeetya.gif

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Kittonwy said:
I'm happy that you're happy.
gladtomeetya.gif

Thank you!

I'm happy that you're happy that I'm happy! Jesus, there are not enough smilies on GAF to express how happy I am! AND I JUST WENT OUT AND BOUGHT THE NEW ISSUE OF WIRED!!!

Jesus, I am happy. Uncharted, I love you.

klee123

Crushing is a completely different beast in comparison to Hard, as I breezed through hard thinking that crushing wouldn't be that much harder, but damn was I wrong. The number of times I've died on crushing is more than the times I died on normal and hard combined.

dirtmonkey37 said:
YES YES YES YES YES YES!

I was happy after the first hour or so of the game.

So what happened with you? Did it just click all the sudden? Or did you notice some insane details that you were missing before?

Speaking of insane details...I just discovered how I can consistently knock the helmets off the tactical guys a couple days ago. So cool.

What I'm most happy about is, I've finished the game a number of times now, a few times on Crushing even, and I'M STILL GOING BACK FOR MORE. Usually, with these narrative-based, single-player games, I'll put the game down for a while after I finish it. I haven't been able to keep Uncharted out of my PS3 for more than a day or two since I bought it, regardless of how many times I've finished it. This is really rare behavior for me, and more akin to what I do when I click with a great music album than a video game.

Goldrusher

Finally got the game...
So much is outstanding, so I'll keep this short by only listing the game's shortcomings, which will hopefully be fixed with a patch or in the sequel(s):

- tearing, especially when moving the camera while looking towards a waterfall
- depth-of-field effects should be optional, unless when used in a cut scene
- treasures are nothing but a sparkle, no actual object in the game

Steroyd

Okay so I was stuck on the waterway section on crushed on chapter 5 for a LONG while, took a break to recharge my batteries then I was still getting pwnt. :mad:

So I said "fuck it" got a TMP and Shotgun then bull charged into the enemies with my shotgun hid behind cover and TMP'd their ass, I'm never leaving my shotgun again, not even for the grenade launchers.

Which I can now do because I got every medal for weapon usage.

Just got past the first 4 chapters on crushing, so far so good. Its a great difficulty curve, challenging not annoying. The blind fire has become my new best friend, now i can use it properly.

YYZ

Steroyd said:
Okay so I was stuck on the waterway section on crushed on chapter 5 for a LONG while, took a break to recharge my batteries then I was still getting pwnt. :mad:

So I said "fuck it" got a TMP and Shotgun then bull charged into the enemies with my shotgun hid behind cover and TMP'd their ass, I'm never leaving my shotgun again, not even for the grenade launchers.

Which I can now do because I got every medal for weapon usage.
err, I have to keep reposting this, lol.

http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/...action=view&current=Ch5_Water_Gunfight_v2.flv

TheBranca18 said:
Then why are you reading it?

Drinky Crow is actually a really good barometer on this site any game he doesnt like you can pretty much guarantee is going to be a fantastic game. I actually use him as my review scale so he says SMG is about a 7 Sweet that means the rest of mankind will love it!

Luckily the same goes for the games he really likes. If he comes in praising something then do whatever you can to stay away from it.

I knew this guy that was the same way but with movies whatever he recommended you avoided at all costs and whatever he hated you could bet would be awesome. For instance he would tell me Fast and Furious was the best movie he had seen and then later told me Batman Begins was mediocre. At least he is consistent.

patsu

:lol

I am like that for women fashion. No one, not even my mom, would accept my gifts when I buy them stuff like handbags. They would get passed around the family and eventually ended up in the store room. Never to see the living daylight.

patsu said:

I am like that for women fashion. No one, not even my mom, would accept my gifts when I buy them stuff like handbags. They would get passed around the family and eventually ended up in the store room. Never to see the living daylight.

:lol :lol Thats great man.

Drinky Crow said:
this thread has turned from mildly deluded creepy to a full-on jonestown kool-aid party
yea, i'm not understanding the love for this game at all. My interest in it was killed by its repetitiveness.

TheBranca18 said:
I wonder how many people paid by the various console companies post on internet forums.
:lol :lol :lol

I'm getting that feeling too :lol

topsyturvy said:
yea, i'm not understanding the love for this game at all. My interest in it was killed by its repetitiveness.

Too each his own I mean some people dont like ice cream and cookies which boggles my mind but there you go.

TheBranca18 said:
I wonder how many people paid by the various console companies post on internet forums.

Ha yeah with taste that bad you got to hope he is at least getting paid.

Basch said:
My joy in reading this thread has been killed in reading this repetitiveness. :D

Word to yo motha.

Basch

topsyturvy said:

My joy in reading this thread has been killed in reading this repetitiveness. :D

patsu said:

Um, OK????

BeeDog

EDIT: nevermind, quoted the wrong guy. I'm pissed that pure negative topics find their way here, questioning the praise, but never in other games which are 'equally' good as this game.

Top Bottom