• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

BruceLeeRoy said:
Too each his own I mean some people dont like ice cream and cookies which boggles my mind but there you go.
some people can't eat sugar or is just watching their weight. I on the other hand just can't play boring games without going asleep.

Basch

patsu said:
:lol

I am like that for women fashion. No one, not even my mom, would accept my gifts when I buy them stuff like handbags. They would get passed around the family and eventually ended up in the store room. Never to see the living daylight.

I recommend to my friends anything that interests them. I know, a paradox. :lol What now?

Dragon

Banned
topsyturvy said:
yea, i'm not understanding the love for this game at all. My interest in it was killed by its repetitiveness.

:lol :lol :lol

I'm getting that feeling too :lol

I don't think you're getting paid, but looking at your posts. Wow.

What chapter did you get to?

Kittonwy said:
Production value aside, I think it's easy to take for granted some of the things that Uncharted does gameplay-wise when it's something one doesn't notice, the button placement, how smooth aiming and movement is, how responsive everything is, how they could have had the smoothest fucking animations but they chose to place responsiveness ahead of animations, how smart the AI is but how it's never frustrating to fight against them. Everything from the camera to controls to just how the levels are set up and paced is indicative of how much fucking work Naughty Dog put in. It takes someone playing a clunky game to realize just how fucking awesome this game is, it makes 99% of the games out there fucking unplayable.
Indifferent2.gif

I know absolutely what you mean I am so mad I played Uncharted before Mass Effect and Cod4 cause even though I am having a blast with COD4 its hard not to be finicky from a visual standpoint where I would have been way more impressed if I had played it before UDF. Also when watching that Dark Sector Video I couldnt have been more bored everything looks hella clunky and lacks a smooth transition and polish that UDF has I obviously haven't played it yet just going off of what it looks like. Oh and it absolutely ruined AC for me.

topsyturvy said:
some people can't eat sugar or is just watching their weight. I on the other hand just can't play boring games without going asleep.

Now be honest you have the Fast and the Furious on both DVD and now on BluRay right right. :D

Basch

BeeDog said:
EDIT: nevermind, quoted the wrong guy. I'm pissed that pure negative topics find their way here, questioning the praise, but never in other games which are 'equally' good as this game.

Kind of like G***********. We had a 90.0% for a total of a day. Now? 89.9%. Oh, Microsoft. :lol

Basch

BruceLeeRoy said:
I know absolutely what you mean I am so mad I played Uncharted before Mass Effect and Cod4 cause even though I am having a blast with COD4 its hard not to be finicky from a visual standpoint where I would have been way more impressed if I had played it before UC. Also when watching that Dark Sector Video I couldnt have been more bored everything looks hella clunky and lacks a smooth transition and polish that UC has I obviously haven't played it yet just going off of what it looks like. Oh and it absolutely ruined AC for me.

Quit using UC! It confuses me. I guess Umbrella Chronicles is that good, huh? :lol Use UDF. Makes much more sense.

TheBranca18 said:
I don't think you're getting paid, but looking at your posts. Wow.

What chapter did you get to?

Chapter 22

ummm, Trust me, i think i played the game. If I dislike a movie you like, would you have ask if I've seen the movie? Thats pretty childish.

Basch said:
Quit using UC! It confuses me. I guess Umbrella Chronicles is that good, huh? :lol Use UDF. Makes much more sense.

HAHA You know whats sad I looked at my own post and was like Umbrella Chronicles WTF was I talking about.

topsyturvy said:
Chapter 22

ummm, Trust me, i think i played the game.

Im sorry you didnt like it man, your in the minority but dont feel bad there always have to be a couple Dashboard Confessional Fans in these threads.

BeeDog

topsyturvy said:
yea, i'm not understanding the love for this game at all. My interest in it was killed by its repetitiveness.

Don't blame everyone else having fun with this game for your crappy taste. :p Realize this, there are people that like this game, the same reason people like games like AC and whatnot.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
What do you think are the reasons this game isnt selling so well? Has Sony forgotten how to market a game? Rachet had a similar curve it seems.

Low sales in the UK and as expected low sales in Japan. Hopefully it does better in the states but going by amazon, its not very popular. So whats the missing ingredient? Hype? Advertisement? Late advertisement? Unreal Tourney seems to be falling under these same issue. Word of mouth may be the only drivers that will make these game very successful in the long run.

BeeDog said:
Don't blame everyone else having fun with this game for your crappy taste. :p Realize this, there are people that like this game, the same reason people like games like AC and whatnot.

See thats really what it is. I love when people come in here thinking "You know what I didnt like this game and I have a body of evidence that is going to show everyone why!" But to all those individuals realize one thing when seriously 90 percent of the people give extremely positive reviews you are the odd man out your the one that doesnt get it. We get if fine man we just feel bad for people that are so wound up in their lives they cant enjoy anything anymore.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
BruceLeeRoy said:
See thats really what it is. I love when people come in here thinking "You know what I didnt like this game and I have a body of evidence that is going to show everyone why!" But to all those sad individuals realize one thing when seriously 90 percent of the people give extremely positive reviews you are the odd man out your the one that doesnt get it. We get if fine man we just feel bad for people that are so wound up in their lives they cant enjoy anything anymore.
Its like the old saying goes. "If you think everyone is crazy, then the crazy one is you"

Basch

PistolGrip said:
What do you think are the reasons this game isnt selling so well? Has Sony forgotten how to market a game? Rachet had a similar curve it seems.

Low sales in the UK and as expected low sales in Japan. Hopefully it does better in the states but going by amazon, its not very popular. So whats the missing ingredient? Hype? Advertisement? Late advertisement? Unreal Tourney seems to be falling under these same issue. Word of mouth may be the only drivers that will make these game very successful in the long run.

Brainwashing? Seriously, Halo did it. My friends are obsessed with the Xbox and 360. I don't know why. I don't ask. But they are very serious whenever it is mentioned. :lol

patsu

topsyturvy said:

Well... I know people who think LOTR the movie trilogy are boring. So to each his/her own. You don't have to be paid to enjoy and talk about games you know.

Uncharted is really well made by any measure. I think it is one of the most impressive games I have seen and what amazes me most is the exceptional quality throughout the game (Although that GT:p trailer is getting ridiculous).

PistolGrip said:

Man really?
Thats upsetting.
I think Sony has done a bad job with cross promotion for its big titles. They are so atrociously bad at public awareness. Even just with the PS3 itself remember when it launched I didnt even know how the XMB properly worked or if the games were automatically online or anything. They are so quiet all the damn time it drives me crazy.
You got to get the game in front of the average people. Msoft does such a better job I remember when Gears of War was coming out they had:

1.Excellent Commercial(Playing on every major station 3 weeks before the game came out)
2.Tons of well covered Media Events that involved people outside the game industry getting a chance to play it.
3.Cross media promotion like crazy: It was all over blockbuster and walmart before it came out. Huge banners and cutouts.

The only thing Sony seems to be doing is the Commercial part but thats it. Their overall public awareness is atrocious remember when the PS3 launched up until I actually picked it up I wasn't a 100% sure how the online worked or how the Cross Media bar played a part in it. They are so fricken quite its ridiculous.

patsu said:
Well... I know people who think LOTR the movie trilogy are boring. So to each his/her own. You don't have to be paid to enjoy and talk about games you know.

Patsu I was 2 seconds away from making that comparison instead of the ice cream but sad to say I know more than a few people that dont like the almighty LOTR!

antiloop

PistolGrip said:
What do you think are the reasons this game isnt selling so well?

PS3 owners don't buy games, or so I have heard. Seems to be true for the majority. Although they compensate with Blu-ray movies. :)

TheBranca18 said:
How did you finish the game if you fall asleep when you try to play it?
MOST of the puzzles are really boring dude and could take a very long time to understand them and execute. (yea i know, but that 4 religion statues really got to me.) It gets very repetitive going from combat to puzzles in and out throughout the game. You know when its coming too, so the element of surprise isn't there. The game did have some good parts to it, like the jetski, but other elements of the games could've use some tuning. (driving, some of the combats and so forth) All and all the game is mildly solid.

Beedog said:

So i have crappy taste? What happen to people having their own taste? On top of that your going the assassins creed route? C'mon, you gotta understand that all media is love/hate. Your saying that because i don't like the game, everyone else might like it. Doesn't that go the other way too? Just because this thread shows mostly positive reviews for the game doesn't mean that the majority actually likes the game.

And for your other complaint before, That goes for bioshock, halo 3 and cod 4, there is alot of people that dislike those games too for one reason or another.

Penny Arcade talks about Uncharted today:

Assuming you haven't already defeated the game, Uncharted will very likely charm the shit out of you. The writing and characterization are as good as you're likely to see in or out of this medium. They execute the pulp hero, deliver on the perfect sidekick, and knock the salty mentor into Goddamn orbit. Flawless. I played the game in large part to see these incredibly drawn characters interact with one another. My concerns with the game may be entirely my own: I had invented a game that I thought Uncharted was going to be, and when it deviated from this imaginary template I was displeased. From demo content I had played, I'd established the Prince of Persia/Gears of War motif fairly early on, and that's not really fair. For one, there's considerably more combat than that equation would suggest - to the extent that we're even retaining the Prince/Gears form, Gears should probably be first. And the platforming isn't even remotely like the Prince, which relies on increasingly complex chains of manual precision. Uncharted very rarely asks anything like that from the player. Most platforming sequences don't really involve puzzles, and timed responses (outside of the occasional instant-death quicktime event) aren't really part of its grammar. They're almost like interactive cutscenes, in a way: beautiful in their presentation, they connect combat arenas and evoke its deep pulp adventure roots.

topsyturvy said:
MOST of the puzzles are really boring dude and could take a very long time to understand them and execute. (yea i know, but that 4 religion statues really got to me.) It gets very repetitive going from combat to puzzles in and out throughout the game. You know when its coming too, so the element of surprise isn't there. The game did have some good parts to it like the jetski, but other elements of the games could've use some tuning. (driving and some of the combats and so forth) All and all the game is mildly solid.

WTF

Basch

BruceLeeRoy said:
Man really?
Thats upsetting.
I think Sony has done a bad job with cross promotion for its big titles. They are so atrociously bad at public awareness. Even just with the PS3 itself remember when it launched I didnt even know how the XMB properly worked or if the games were automatically online or anything. They are so quiet all the damn time it drives me crazy.
You got to get the game in front of the average people.

Sony did do that. That is why you didn't hear about online, XMB, and stuff like that. :D Trust me, they are missing the brainwashing. :lol

BruceLeeRoy said:
1.Excellent Commercial(Playing on every major station 3 weeks before the game came out)

You know I heard that and I wanted to see one, but I was so unlucky. I never saw it once.

BruceLeeRoy said:
2.Tons of well covered Media Events that involved people outside the game industry getting a chance to play it.

I actually think this is what is sorely missing. I really do think E3 needs to expand if anything. This is one of the first ways I heard about Gears.

BruceLeeRoy said:
3.Cross media promotion like crazy: It was all over blockbuster and walmart before it came out. Huge banners and cutouts.

Well, I guess that would help too. What is wrong with you Sony? Start brainwashing and everything listed above. :D

BeeDog

topsyturvy said:
So your logic is that since i don't like this game, i have crappy taste? On top of that your going the assassins cread route? C'mon, you gotta understand that all media is love/hate. Your saying that because i don't like the game, everyone else might like it. Doesn't that go the other way?

No, what I'm saying is that you should note the smiley next to the first statement. It's obvious a lot of people really like the game in this topic, and then you state "I can't understand why people like this game, wha wha wha". A lot of opinions have already been aired in this topic where they actually explain why they like/don't like it. Your problem was that you made it sound like your opinion is the only one that's correct, which it certainly isn't. And your last sentence doesn't make sense anyhow.

Basch said:
Sony did do that. That is why you didn't hear about online, XMB, and stuff like that. :D Trust me, they are missing the brainwashing. :lol

You know I heard that and I wanted to see one, but I was so unlucky I never saw it once.

I actually think this is what is sorely missing. I really do think E3 needs to expand if anything. This is one of the first ways I heard about Gears.

Well, I guess that would help too. What is wrong with you Sony? Start brainwashing and everything listed above. :D
The only thing Sony seems to be doing is the Commercial part but thats it.

Sony needs to hire us Basch I am all about the hypnosis.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
BruceLeeRoy said:
Man really?
Thats upsetting.
You got to get the game in front of the average people. Msoft does such a better job I remember when Gears of War was coming out they had:

The only thing Sony seems to be doing is the Commercial part but thats it.
Definitely agree. Another huge mistake Sony makes is not hyping the games enough before their release. MS hyped up Grand Theft Auto like crazy even though its a third party title and the release date was so far away.

Perhaps this is due the massive amount of influence Microsoft has in the states. They can literately generate hype out of any game. The amount of seperate blogs they have and media places they can really spread the word fast.

Sony desperately needs a Major Nelson for example. A sort of mouthpiece that goes gaga over every first party title and indirectly pokes fun at the competition. They need to understand that TV specials on MTV are more influencial than any commercial they can come up with. Start your marketing early. Hype is like a snowball falling of a mountain, if you begin the snowball right before it lands, it will tiny. So hype way before release. Just look at what Square does with Final Fantasy!

BruceLeeRoy said:
it took me along time to figure that out?? sorry i guess. I also enjoyed the jetskiing part, so what.

BeeDog said:
No, what I'm saying is that you should note the smiley next to the first statement. It's obvious a lot of people really like the game in this topic, and then you state "I can't understand why people like this game, wha wha wha". A lot of opinions have already been aired in this topic where they actually explain why they like/don't like it. Your problem was that you made it sound like your opinion is the only one that's correct, which it certainly isn't. And your last sentence doesn't make sense anyhow.
I updated that post, so you can look back. and i'm pretty sure that i could careless about anyone else opinions but my own. Lets just agree to disagree.

topsyturvy said:
it took me along time to figure that out?? sorry i guess. I also enjoyed the jetskiing part, so what.

Your comments are just totally different than I would have expected.

PistolGrip said:
Definitely agree. Another huge mistake Sony makes is not hyping the games enough before their release. MS hyped up Grand Theft Auto like crazy even though its a third party title and the release date was so far away.

Perhaps this is due the massive amount of influence Microsoft has in the states. They can literately generate hype out of any game. The amount of seperate blogs they have and media places they can really spread the word fast.

Sony desperately needs a Major Nelson for example. A sort of mouthpiece that goes gaga over every first party title and indirectly pokes fun at the competition. They need to understand that TV specials on MTV are more influencial than any commercial they can come up with. Start your marketing early. Hype is like a snowball falling of a mountain, if you begin the snowball right before it lands, it will tiny. So hype way before release. Just look at what Square does with Final Fantasy!

Yeah they really really need a Major Nelson type individual. Just someone that everyone can relate to threespeech is a good start but they need someone thats more public.

They could have promoted this game like crazy if they had just been doing a damn thing about it.
Think about all the huge adventure shows on Television: SURVIVOR, AMAZING RACE. Not to mention the new INDIANA JONES Movie. They could have done like a special 10 min preview before a episode of survivor or the amazing race talking about the crazy environments you survive in and how the team made it.

Or

Had a big ass media day even where Harrison ford plays it and Spielberg and they get some love from Behr Grills or whatever and the survivorman guy I mean fricken come on Sony its a perfectly marketable game its Teen has a great story and amazing graphics get on the fing ball.

The Chef

PistolGrip said:

I hope they get their act together. Every one of my friends had NO clue that Unreal Tournament 3 came out yesterday for a perfect example.
Sony is starting to have some great ads. Like the 60 second, absolutely incredible, Ratchet & Clank commercial. I have yet to see any R&C commercials or tv ads what so ever.
The new PS3 ad campaign with the morphing PS3. I saw the 30 second one of those once about a month ago but thats it.

They have some great ads but wtf is the point if no one sees them?

The Chef

topsyturvy said:
meh, I'm a sucker for water effects.

The water was so incredible, as was just about everything else.
But common man. You dislike the game but love the jetski parts? :lol

I think a game like Wave Race 64 would be more of you kinda game. Holy hell that game was awesome

Master Z

I thought that the combat was getting a little repetative until I decided to mix things up. I was playing this like Gears and it became a little boring, but once I started looking for stealth kills and using melee alot more the combat became really fun.

Kittonwy

Banned
PistolGrip said:

They should hire me (not that I would take the job), I woulda been teh awesome. I woulda driven that Uncharted hype to phat proportions rawr. Sony should really concentrate on marketing their own AAA first-party titles though.
Indifferent2.gif

patsu

Hey, I like the jetski levels too because they break up the game and are so pretty to look at. The only part I hate is the last level. I wanted to go up to the screen and stab that guy to death. Fortunately, I prevailed after 1001 tries.

Kittonwy

Banned
Master Z said:
I thought that the combat was getting a little repetative until I decided to mix things up. I was playing this like Gears and it became a little boring, but once I started looking for stealth kills and using melee alot more the combat became really fun.

Stealth killz in Uncharted is teh awesome satisfying it's teh true.
gladtomeetya.gif

The Chef

patsu said:
Hey, I like the jetski levels too because they break up the level and are so pretty to look at. The only part I hate is the last level. I wanted to go up to the screen and stab that guy to death. Fortunately, I prevailed after 1001 tries.

hahah what difficulty were you on

GameGamer

My uncharted review:

Pros
- comfortable Indian Jones story
- great Skywalker Ranch sound
- wide open spaces that look good
- voice acting
- a nice gentle ride

Cons
- MASSIVE vertical tearing so many times I almost got headaches
- It's those Indiana Jones games! Except through Gears of Wars glasses. I think I liked the Indiana and gears games and stories much better.
- If you've seen one level, you've seen them all. I would have really liked more variety
- the gun play was not satisfying, and that was the main play type of the game. Maybe a little better spread of weapons

Overall, only good for a rent.

I look forward to Uncharted 2.

Madman

The Chef said:
I hope they get their act together. Every one of my friends had NO clue that Unreal Tournament 3 came out yesterday for a perfect example.
Sony is starting to have some great ads. Like the 60 second, absolutely incredible, Ratchet & Clank commercial. I have yet to see any R&C commercials or tv ads what so ever.
The new PS3 ad campaign with the morphing PS3. I saw the 30 second one of those once about a month ago but thats it.

They have some great ads but wtf is the point if no one sees them?
I've seen the ads plenty of times.

If people are questioning why games like Uncharted and Ratchet aren't getting a Halo or Gears type of marketing, the answer is very obvious. Money. I would be willing to bet Microsoft never made a profit off of Gears of War. The marketing campaign, which was incredibly extensive, probably cost way more then the game itself. Halo is a different story, but that's Halo.

Most of the problem with sales is pretty clear. HS got pretty poor reviews. Poor reviews=poor sales. Same with Motorstorm (although that has seemingly sold well). Ratchet got great reviews(for the most part), but given the crowd that makes up Ratchet's fanbase, I am surprised it sold as well as it did (especially considering it did 50% better then Deadlocked). Uncharted can't be said for sure. I would predict it does around 200k. UT3 around 100k. Both games have less then stellar commericals. This is also where plenty of issues were, since I think the only properly done commericals were: the Resistance commercial, the second Heavenly Sword commercial(although I only saw it once, which is a shame), the "bleeding" Playstation commerical, and the black onyx general commercials. I could go into detail what was wrong with most of the other ones, but it should be pretty clear as is(lack of gameplay, confusing/unecessary elements in commericals).

Sony is trying. They dumped their old ad agency (which is pretty amazing given the history of the ad agency and what they did for the image of the Playstation) and have been trying to push their games. Whether or not they will see fruits for their labor is though to say, but I think they are doing as good of a job as they can. They just need to stay the course and correct their mistakes. I think the new ad agency should help. Seeing the past commericals done by these people, they seem to make heavy use of the actual products in their commercials, which is exactly what Sony needs. Their games don't need CG or elaborate thinking. They look fucking amazing, and hopefully the new ad agency makes use of that.

I am just about to complete the game (95%) and I have to say that it is the best game I have played this year and *yes* I own Call of Duty4, Bioshock, Mass Effect and Halo3.

I know the game doesn't break any new ground in terms of play mechanics, but the way that the game excels in the tried and true, makes for one hell of an experience. The story really sucked me in, which is a surprise, since I didn't like the way it was introduced in the demo.

Game of the year (for me) doesn't have to be the most innovative (that may belong to Bioshock or Mass Effect), it just has to be the most fun. In that sense UNCHARTED is my GOTY.

jacket320

Matt Slagle, an AP Technology Writer, had his review of Uncharted named the "Video Game of the Week" by the Ft. Worth Star Telegram today. I didn't see this article posted in this thread... but this thread is its own organism now and I might have overlooked it. The article printed can be found on Yahoo at the link:

Think of "Uncharted: Drake's Fortune" as a movie where you're the star. You can't really decide the outcome, but the high production values and relentless action make it a memorable experience nonetheless.

Three and a half stars out of four.

Link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071204/ap_en_ot/games_drake_s_fortune

GameGamer said:
My uncharted review:

Pros
- voice acting
- a nice gentle ride

Cons
- It's those Indiana Jones games! Except through Gears of Wars glasses. I think I liked the Indiana and gears games and stories much better.
- If you've seen one level, you've seen them all. I would have really liked more variety
- the gun play was not satisfying, and that was the main play type of the game. Maybe a little better spread of weapons

Are you playing on a SDTV? Massive Vertical Tearing? I never saw anything like that. If you have seen one level you have seen them all, did you even play the game?
Underground ****, Crazy ass Submarine, Open Jungle with ruins, Huge Fortress, Murky Caverns, Old Bunkers, Car chases, Jet Skis. You are nuts man variety is not this games problem.
Did you even play this game?

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
GameGamer said:
My uncharted review:

Pros
- voice acting
- a nice gentle ride

Cons

so this screen tearing this must be a HD thing cuz i dont see it playing Uncharted on my Shit Definition TV

i saw some in God of War 2 though...

deepbrown

jacket320 said:
Matt Slagle, an AP Technology Writer, had his review of Uncharted named the "Video Game of the Week" by the Ft. Worth Star Telegram today. I didn't see this article posted in this thread... but this thread is its own organism now and I might have overlooked it. The article printed can be found on Yahoo at the link:

Think of "Uncharted: Drake's Fortune" as a movie where you're the star. You can't really decide the outcome, but the high production values and relentless action make it a memorable experience nonetheless.

Three and a half stars out of four.

Link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071204/ap_en_ot/games_drake_s_fortune
WHy they have to mess with us with 3.5/4! lol That's 8.75 if you didn't know.

deepbrown

~Devil Trigger~ said:
so this screen tearing this must be a HD thing cuz i dont see it playing Uncharted on my Shit Definition TV

i saw some in God of War 2 though...
There is no vertical tearing in Uncharted :)

Only some minimal horizantle tearing.

NOTE: Play Uncharted at 720p, not 1080i

Firewire

Banned
GameGamer said:
My uncharted review:

Pros
- voice acting
- a nice gentle ride

Cons

Jesus, will save your soul, maybe, probably not!

good story/ characters? come the fuck ON, folks. the dialogue was terrible. the sully/drake banter in the first three chapters made me turn off the sound. this was a third-rate clive cussler production equivalent. it's "sahara: the game".

deepbrown

Drinky Crow said:
good story/ characters? come the fuck ON, folks. the dialogue was terrible. the sully/drake banter in the first three chapters made me turn off the sound. this was a third-rate clive cussler production equivalent. it's "sahara: the game".
Ok. You're talking out of your ass. Go away and stop trolling.

Bajan32

I have been following this thread for ages but decided not to post till i played/beat this game.

Now that i have finished it i must say UDF is amongst the most quality/fun/beautiful games i have ever played. The presentation, the look, the feel, the characters, the action, everything i mean everything is so well polished.

If this is just the beginning of the quality of titles coming for my PS3, i must say i am very very excited. In the current slew of FPSs, and racing games, and random nonsense in the industry right now, If you own a PS3 and do not support/appreciate/enjoy this game...... pooh on you.... seriously.

imma end this before i start rambling but hot damn this game is pure polish.
Its been a long time since ive played an adventure game this damn good.

Don't have to take my word for it (obvious by the amount of love in this thread).. But if you own a PS3 this is a showcase masterpiece that you should own..

Top Bottom