• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Atrus

Gold Member
dalyr95 said:
Only one thing pissed me off:

Of all the places, they explored, why did they not look in the big fucking hole in the ground in the floor and they would of found the treasure!!

Sorry if anyone read it before

That's what the
Merc's did eventually. Drake on the other hand didn't have the manpower, explosives or time to go searching all over the place. He only had the diary to work from and so re-traced Sir Drake's steps for better or worse.

This is why Mercs are in areas Drake has to solve ancient puzzles to get to.

Heavenly sword had bad dialogue? I find it weird that two games that give the most cinematic experience I've ever had in a video game are being dissed for "bad" dialogue. Tell me, what game has "good" dialogue?

very few, but the more a game presumes to (poorly) ape cinema, the more it judged against the standards of that medium.

Basch

Byakuya769 said:
Heavenly sword had bad dialogue? I find it weird that two games that give the most cinematic experience I've ever had in a video game are being dissed for "bad" dialogue. Tell me, what game has "good" dialogue?

Pokemon? :lol

Basch

Atrus said:
That's what the Merc's did eventually. Drake on the other hand didn't have the manpower, explosives or time to go searching all over the place. He only had the diary to work from and so re-traced Sir Drake's steps for better or worse.

Thanks for marking it. :D

DrXym

Atrus said:
That's what the Merc's did eventually. Drake on the other hand didn't have the manpower, explosives or time to go searching all over the place. He only had the diary to work from and so re-traced Sir Drake's steps for better or worse.

A premise which is still pretty stupid because the mercs are often behind rusted, locked gates, or in otherwise unreachable places with no sign of how they could possibly be there.

nib95

Banned
Some shots off my set.

tv1.jpg

tv10.jpg

tv2.jpg

tv3.jpg

tv4.jpg

tv5.jpg

tv6.jpg

tv7.jpg

tv8.jpg

tv9.jpg

Best looking console game ever!!

Drinky Crow said:
very few, but the more a game presumes to (poorly) ape cinema, the more it judged against the standards of that medium.

Hahaha, right.. and how many movies do you watch a year that pass your test for good dialogue?

Basch

Drinky Crow said:

I was under the impression that the standard for most cinema features were poorly written. I don't know about you, but I do a lot of filtering of one poor movie after another. By the way, you need to take your medicine. Now! Uncharted is calling you home. :D

Atrus

Gold Member
Basch said:
Is it just me, or am I hitting a bad time for... SPOILERS! Come on, watch what you say people!

I don't think that spoils anything about the game. There are bad guys, Drake tries to find treasure, treasure invariably gets found.

I believe that'll be the plot of National Treasure 2, Indiana Jones 4, and whatnot.

KZObsessed

nib95 said:
Some shots off my set.

*groin grabbingly gorgeous screens*

Best looking console game ever!!

Agreed, it looks beautiful! You're making me want to play it for a third time, not that that's a bad thing.

Hey Nibz *waves*

uncharted's writing is poor even by the standards of POOR action cinema, then. its script and dialogue would be laughed out of theatres faster than you could say "national treasure 2"

nib95

Banned
FFObsessed said:
Agreed, it looks beautiful! You're making me want to play it for a third time, not that that's a bad thing.

Hey Nibz *waves*

Hey mate :D

Thought I'd bring some of my IGN screens over to the GAF :p

EDIT: Uh oh, drinky's back! :p

Atrus

Gold Member
DrXym said:
A premise which is still pretty stupid because the mercs are often behind rusted, locked gates, or in otherwise unreachable places with no sign of how they could possibly be there.

There's always an alternate entrance for the bad guys, just take a look around and there'll usually be open areas back to the surface.

The only continuity hole regard people getting places is with
Sully & Elena being asked to take the catacombs route to meet up with Drake, since the only route down that path involved free-climbing and leaping from ledges. It's the only instances where the characters have to go through a certain area but there is no alternate route whatsoever.

roxya

Drinky Crow said:
uncharted's writing is poor even by the standards of POOR action cinema, then. its script and dialogue would be laughed out of theatres faster than you could say "national treasure 2"

Do you think the things you say will become truth if you keep saying them?

Drinky Crow said:

Drinky I simply cant take you anymore man go get a life man. Good lord.

Basch

Dave1988 said:
What the Hell is this abomination? She butchered that song :/

"You got it all twisted." :D

I rather like the idea of the upbeat song. It sounds like a very passionate love letter. To each their own, I guess: I'm sure many would disagree if I said I did not like Pan's Labyrinth. :D

P.S. Listen to the song as if Uncharted is singing to you.

nib95

Banned
Geezer said:
A mod needs to make this happen.

He won't get banned. Apparently he's an ex mod with some connections with the other mods here at the GAF. He comes in here to stir rubbish just for a laugh.

Just ignore him.

Also, BruceLeeRoy, it's a Panasonic Plasma (TH42PX60) :D

nib95 said:
He won't get banned. Apparently he's an ex mod with some connections with the other mods here at the GAF. He comes in here to stir rubbish just for a laugh.

Just ignore him.

Also, BruceLeeRoy, it's a Panasonic Plasma (TH42PX60) :D

My good friend has one of those absolutely phenomenal image quality.

You know a game is incredible when you go through it 3 times and screenshots of the damn thing continually make your jaw just drop. So amazing.

nib95

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:
Great shots.

Do you have any more of that dark area that is candle lit? It looks beautiful.

I have about 80 shots, of all different locations throughout the game. Some are absolutely stunning. Just haven't had the time to resize and upload them all. As is they are stupidly large (5mp). The ones above aren't even the best.

nib95 said:
I have about 80 shots, of all different locations throughout the game. Some are absolutely stunning. Just haven't had the time to resize and upload them all. As is they are stupidly large (5mp). The ones above aren't even the best.

Man it would be great to get some more on here when you have time try to throw them up.

The Chef

Geezer said:
Drinky Troll
Castellanus
(Today, 10:34 PM)
Reply | Quote

A mod needs to make this happen.

Drinky Twat
Castellanus
(Today, 10:34 PM)
Reply | Quote

works also

nib95 said:

When I played through on my 1st time I stopped every few minutes to take a pic of my set as well. I had to force myself to stop taking pictures and just play the game.

roxya said:
Do you think the things you say will become truth if you keep saying them?

i'd love to see you argue otherwise. compared to most cinema, uncharted has terrible dialogue and characterization -- how is this disputable? it roughly compares -- plot points included -- to sahara, which was a terribly reviewed movie. throw in creepy bobblehead models and terrifying facial modeling certain to guarantee nightmares in even the remotest depths of the uncanny valley, and you have a fairly unwatchable exercise in wannabe cinema. thankfully, it's a game first, and a shitty action movie second.

The Chef

Opus Angelorum said:
This is the only thing stopping me from selling my PS3, I really should buy Uncharted.

Just give it a shot - if you wanted you could blaze through the game relatively quickly. Might as well while you still got you PS3

patsu

I don't know. I thought it's par for the course. The dialogue is as good/bad as other Hollywood production, save for a few brilliant ones.... unless you hate all Hollywood movies too.

Flo_Evans

Drinky Crow said:
i'd love to see you argue otherwise. compared to most cinema, uncharted has terrible dialogue and characterization -- how is this disputable? it roughly compares -- plot points included -- to sahara, which was a terribly reviewed movie. throw in creepy bobblehead models and terrifying facial modeling certain to guarantee nightmares in even the remotest depths of the uncanny valley, and you have a fairly unwatchable exercise in wannabe cinema. thankfully, it's a game first, and a shitty action movie second.

You are right of course, but I don't see why we should be comparing uncharted to film instead of other games?

Basch

Drinky Crow said:

:lol Wow! Just... :lol You should probably know that there is not one person that is taking you seriously? If there was to be anything that could be the furthest away from the truth, it would be this.

Thanks a lot, Flo_Evans, now I have to retract that statement. :lol

do you guys even WATCH decent movies? uncharted doesn't even try to be original; it makes the motions of mimicking inferior action movies like national treasure and sahara -- it doesn't even approximate raiders of the lost ark in its rare few good moments -- and even then, it comes off as painfully cliched and forced. it's like a collection of various cliches and themes cobbled from the body of pulp adventure movies thrown together without any of unifying direction or original contribution. it feels like it was written less to tell a story and more to desperately rig up all the characterizations and dialogue that typefy an adventure cinema, like third-rate fanservice for clive cussler/george lucas. it's terribly uncomfortable to watch, although for some of you, it seems to be xenosaga syndrome all over again: where novelty of theme within the media and genre trumps execution.

Flo_Evans said:
You are right of course, but I don't see why we should be comparing uncharted to film instead of other games?

because uncharted presumes to ape cinema by offering a number of cinematic components. do note that i'm discussing the cinematic qualities of uncharted's production, not the complete game experience. folks called the story/characters great, i lol'd heartily, tears were shed, and here i am!

Flo_Evans

Drinky Crow said:
do you guys even WATCH decent movies? uncharted doesn't even try to be original; it apes inferior action movies like national treasure and sahara -- it doesn't even approximate raiders of the lost ark in its rare few good momements -- and even then, it comes off as painfully cliched and forced. it's like a collection of various cliches and themes cobbled from the body of pulp adventure movies thrown together without any of unifying direction or original contribution. it feels like it was written less to tell a story and more to desperately rig up all the characterizations and dialogue that typefy an adventure cinema, like third-rate fanservice for clive cussler/george lucas. it's terribly uncomfortable to watch, although for some of you, it seems to be xenosaga syndrome all over again: where novelty of theme within the media and genre trumps execution.

have you finished it yet? I think you are not giving ND enough credit here. They know they are making a cliche action movie/game. You seem to be the only one that thinks they are going for high art, I took most of the dialog as tongue in cheek.

bridegur

do you guys even WATCH decent movies? uncharted doesn't even try to be original; it apes inferior action movies like national treasure and sahara -- it doesn't even approximate raiders of the lost ark in its rare few good momements -- and even then, it comes off as painfully cliched and forced. it's like a collection of various cliches and themes cobbled from the body of pulp adventure movies thrown together without any of unifying direction or original contribution. it feels like it was written less to tell a story and more to desperately rig up all the characterizations and dialogue that typefy an adventure cinema, like third-rate fanservice for clive cussler/george lucas. it's terribly uncomfortable to watch, although for some of you, it seems to be xenosaga syndrome all over again: where novelty of theme within the media and genre trumps execution.

I've only played the demo, but I actually agree with this. Fortunately, I've come to expect the absolute worst in dialogue and stories from games, so the feeling of embarrassment while playing them is nothing new. I'm going to pick this game up as soon as I get an HDTV, it would be a shame to play it through on my current TV.

Wollan

castellanus said:
Altocumulus castellanus (ACCAS) is named for its tower-like projections that billow upwards from the base of the cloud. The base of the cloud can form as low as 2,000 metres (6,500 feet), or as high as 6,000 metres (20,000 feet).

Castellanus clouds are evidence of mid-atmospheric instability and a high mid-altitude lapse rate. They may be a harbinger of bad weather and, if surface-based convection can connect to the mid-tropospheric unstable layer, continued development of castellanus clouds can produce cumulonimbus clouds and thunderstorms.
I think we saw one of these in Uncharted (the mushroom shaped one).

My god thats insane. Thanks a lot Nib.

Drinky Crow said:

METACRITIC REVIEW: 89%

Play Magazine
Naughty Dog use the PS3 to reinvigorate the adventure gaming experience, combining key elements that every gamer holds dear in a game that looks and feels like a blockbuster film. [Dec 2007, p.52]

Game Chronicles
I was totally captivated from the moment I inserted the disc, and the need to sleep was the only thing that kept me from finishing this game in a single session (I did it in two).

Cheat Code Central
From the adventure-filled gameplay to the pristine presentation, each of Uncharted's twenty chapters are polished to perfection and will leave you counting the days to the inevitable sequel. Despite packing a lengthy campaign, you'll hate to see it come to an end.

Worth Playing
It's easily one of the best single-player games on PlayStation 3, or any platform, this year.

Gamer 2.0
Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune really shines by borrowing elements of other games and making an experience all to its own that can be enjoyed greatly by those that give it a shot.

IGN
The final sum is far greater than the individual parts. Maybe you don't dig the combat or maybe the pop-in gets you down, but the overall package of an endearing story, outstanding score, great performances and fun gameplay should put this title on the top of your holiday wishlist.

Gaming Age
Production value exudes from every pore on Nathan's face; great graphics, audio, and gameplay are used with lethal detail to tell an over-the-top adventure story that draws inspiration from big budget adventure flicks. And it actually manages to pull off everything with enthusiasm, leaving you wanting more.

SAME REVIEWS TIMES X 200

Yeah were the ones in the minority.

Flo_Evans said:
have you finished it yet? I think you are not giving ND enough credit here. They know they are making a cliche action movie/game. You seem to be the only one that thinks they are going for high art, I took most of the dialog as tongue in cheek.

high art? wtf! since when was the adventure cinema genre high art? uncharted's dialogue and characterizations aren't even up to the MEDIAN standards of low art!

look, when you make me sit through cutscenes or interact with characters in a cinematic fashion, i expect that experience to match up favorably with cinema.

personally, i'd rather games abandon cinematic pretention altogether, but hey, i'm not a game producer. it's not my call to make.

Top Bottom