• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Casshern

Banned
andrewfee said:
Excellent, not only does my (fully charged the night before) Sixaxis battery run out, the game just crashed on me. :lol

(Chapter 17, running from the... undead?

Tearing isn't something you have to look for, in my opinion, it's immediately obvious and gives a lot of people headaches/sore eyes. I don't care how good your game looks, V-Sync should always be on.

What makes you think anyone gives a fuck about the impressions of a stupid troll given your awful post history? We don't. Your forced attempts to find problems with the game where they don't exist is fucking pathetic. You charged your controller yesterday and it's out of battery now? Were you playing all day non-stop or something? Bullshit.

And since the mods are unable to do their jobs lately with all the PS3 trolling (the stupid chart about which console is better for you trolling PS3 of course, the dozens of "PS3 is dead" posts and thread that noone got banned for them, the awful trolling in every PS3 thread like this one) maybe we should do it for them: Get the fuck out of this thread.

Grayman

I had that happen to me for the first time(second playthrough) just now. It almost seemed to be caused by reloading my six shooter when the game tries to give you the default pistol.

Re: tearing. I don't notice it, anywhere.

Play a PC game at very variable framerates above or below my refresh rate and i won't see it in some games. Vsync is also bad for most pc games i play anyways so i would put up with it if i saw it.

Grayman

Casshern said:
What makes you think anyone gives a fuck about the impressions of a stupid troll given your awful post history? We don't. Your forced attempts to find problems with the game where they don't exist is fucking pathetic. You charged your controller yesterday and it's out of battery now? Were you playing all day non-stop or something? Bullshit.

And since the mods are unable to do their jobs lately with all the PS3 trolling (the stupid chart about which console is better for you trolling PS3 of course, the dozens of "PS3 is dead" posts and thread that noone got banned for them, the awful trolling in every PS3 thread like this one) maybe we should do it for them: Get the fuck out of this thread.
There is an ignore button but it doesn't work good(you will still read andrews posts i bet)

Casshern

Banned
Grayman said:
There is an ignore button but it doesn't work good(you will still read andrews posts i bet)

There's also a quote button that is used a lot on morons like him because they're so absurd that people feel the need to reply to them. And the quotes pretty much negate the ignore button's function, don't you think?

bigswords

Marconelly said:
AC doesn't have what I'd call 'tight' jumping controls. I don't know if what that games has can be called jumping controls to begin with really, as it's all automated. Whatever they do I really hope they don't go that direction for Uncharted sequel. I'll take character that responds to my controls every time I want any day over better blended jumping animation.

What was the problem with them? Second jetski sequence had some really great 'fighting' against water dynamics. I don't think i've seen anything like that in a game before.

Hmmm when you play as Altair and you move back and forth, he feels really graceful human-like movements. You play as Drake and he moves like a monkey on speed. I can't put my finger on it but he's movement on the ground although is smooth but it's not as tight as Altair's.

You have to admit in most cases in uncharted (especially certain jumping sequences) most jumps in Drake's were "automatic", and if you blow AC comparsion. then go play Mario Galaxy as that's the best way to design a 3D platform game.

I dunno, I find the jetski sequence very "filler". I love the combat. And the pacing of puzzle/jumping and combat is very balanced. Plus the awesome graphics...hmmmm green jungle trees.... damn wished I have a HDMI TV like most of you blokes :(

Banned
deepbrown said:
Go away and play, finish, then review it. please. All this dilly dallying is very frustrating.
Well that's the game done. :)

Finished in just over 9 hours (though some of that time will have just been sitting idle) with 570 "Medal Points" which seems like an ok amount for my first time through? I only got 32 treasures, and there's a few medals I didn't get that sound like they'll be really easy to do, as I didn't make a point of going for any / checking the list - I always play games "for fun" the first time through. (usually on the default difficulty, but after playing the demo, I knew hard would be the way to go) Things like Survivor don't sound too hard to get, but as there's almost no penalty for dying, I just wasn't careful about it which is why I didn't end up with that, for example.

Aside from the diary slip-up I mentioned earlier (unless I'm mistaken) the story was really enjoyable, even though you could see heavy influences from things like the Indiana Jones films. Dialogue was generally very well done - it does "digital actors" much better than Mass Effect did, in my opinion. There were one or two lines that felt a bit forced / sounded like they were done in a recording booth, but overall very high standards for a video game.

Audio quality in general was great; generally good positioning (I was using my GS1000 headphones, so not 5.1) and nice environmental effects (subtle echoes in places etc.) which did a really good job of making it sound like they were actually in that location. As I mentioned earlier, the soundtrack is fantastic, and a welcome surprise. (still wondering if iTunes is the only place to get it)

Aesthetically, it was very nice for the most part. It's nice to see bright colourful games that don't look garish, and the lighting was superb. I did feel that some of the indoor sections were perhaps a bit under-lit and didn't look quite as good though. Modelling was good, great animation of course, though some of the texturing was a bit flat in places. (some of the stone walls early on seemed like they were a flat texture with no depth to them)

As far as the gameplay goes, there was perhaps a bit too much emphasis on shooting in places - the gunplay is good, but there were one or two points where I actually wondered if the enemies were just going to keep spawning in indefinitely. (like CoD4 seems to do) It's the "exploration" / platforming that I enjoyed the most though, and it really reminded me of ICO in a lot of places, which is a very good thing. If anything the game feels like a cross between ICO/Gears which sounds terrible on paper, but works wonderfully. I did feel the last level really let it down though - that's not the way you should end a game like this, however the cutscene after was done very well.

I've heard a lot of people complaining about the length, and I was expecting the worst really. Normally if a review says a game is ___ hours long, I'll finish it at least one or two under, but 9 hours felt a good length to me. Even with some of the battles being a bit drawn out, it never really felt like they were trying to artificially lengthen the game unlike some that I've played recently. It's so good that I'll be going through it at least once again, possibly more, so you can add me to the list of people saying that if you have a PS3, you need to buy Uncharted.

Oh, and for people thinking I was hating on the game with my previous posts, I wasn't. I was just saying it's not nearly as technically perfect as a lot of people are claiming. It still looks amazing, though I must say the shirt "animation" continued to bother me throughout, and the tearing was pretty awful - not Mass Effect bad, but bad nonetheless. (I checked and it was running in 720p, not being scaled up to 1080p so that wasn't the reason) Almost every area in the game had tearing at some point, even in enclosed spaces like the U-Boat. Hopefully they'll have that sorted in the sequel.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
bigswords said:
You have to admit in most cases in uncharted (especially certain jumping sequences) most jumps in Drake's were "automatic", and if you blow AC comparsion. then go play Mario Galaxy as that's the best way to design a 3D platform game.
I dont' think they were automated even in those scenes... for example, in the falling bridge sequence, if you press the jump too early, your jump wouldn't be long enough and you'd fall down to your death, or only make it enough to grab the ledge instead of landing onto the next platform. They could have tightened the jumping more I guess, but maybe animation would suffer too much and become too unrealistic. That's something Mario games don't have to worry about.

andrewfee said:
As I mentioned earlier, the soundtrack is fantastic, and a welcome surprise. (still wondering if iTunes is the only place to get it)
I think so, but you get it in the Itunes+ format, so you get it in 256kbps AAC and you can play it on anything without restriction.

andrewfee said:
I was just saying it's not nearly as technically perfect as a lot of people are claiming.
I simply think the game has the best balanced engine of all the games released this gen so far. That doesn't mean it's perfect, but it means that on top of filling the 'next-gen checkmarks' in their engine, they picked the best tradeoffs and best shortcuts/tricks to make the graphics look impressive but performance not suffer because of that.

Marconelly said:
I dont' think they were automated even in those scenes... for example, in the falling bridge sequence, if you press the jump too early, your jump wouldn't be long enough and you'd fall down to your death, or only make it enough to grab the ledge instead of landing onto the next platform. They could have tightened the jumping more I guess, but maybe animation would suffer too much and become too unrealistic. That's something Mario games don't have to worry about.

I think so, but you get it in the Itunes+ format, so you get it in 256kbps AAC and you can play it on anything without restriction.

I simply think the game has the best balanced engine of all the games released this gen so far. That doesn't mean it's perfect, but it means that on top of filling the 'next-gen checkmarks' in their engine, they picked the best tradeoffs and best shortcuts/tricks to make the graphics look impressive but performance not suffer because of that.

agreed....the engine is fantastic...some ps3 rpg devs should license this...imagine no loading in such a beautifully rendered rpg... Honestly, make more money ND...license this engine

Banned
Marconelly said:
CD = 1411kbps if I remember correctly. Admittedly, there's almost nothing that actually hits that limit, but it's usually at least 500 if you use lossless compression, though I've had tracks over 1000 before.

It's not available on the UK store though, so even if I did want to buy it off iTunes, I can't. Guess I'll have to do without.

Marconelly said:
And I agree - it looks fantastic. A lot of my previous comments on it were not complaints about the game, but rather about how people say things like "Uncharted has no load times" or "Uncharted has no pop-in/draw-in" or that the tearing is minor etc, especially when it gets mentioned in topics about games on other platforms when that's clearly not the case.

The only thing that really bothered me visually that did bother me was the framerate which caused it to tear all the time. I did also find the lack of motion blur to be harder on the eyes than I thought it would be. While I would rather everything be 60fps either with or without, it really helps smooth out the appearance of 30fps. Just getting Uncharted 2 locked to 30fps would be a big improvement though.

I hate the depth of field blur they use instead of motion blur, but I suspect that's another technique they use to hide textures loading in as you pan around quickly, rather than an alternative to motion blur. (I really hope they didn't think it was a good alternative to motion blur!)

After playing around with some of the unlockable characters (such as the Pirate) I really want to see that shirt creasing effect disappear or be improved upon in the next game. I think it's just one of those things that once you see it, you can't un-see it. In a game where everything else is so well animated, the shirt basically only having two frames of animation really sticks out to me.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
andrewfee said:
the shirt basically only having two frames of animation really sticks out to me.
It's not just two frames of animation, though. It may be fading between 2 wrinkle textures for any given action, but it wrinkles differently for different actions.

deepbrown

andrewfee said:
CD = 1411kbps if I remember correctly. Admittedly, there's almost nothing that actually hits that limit, but it's usually at least 500 if you use lossless compression, though I've had tracks over 1000 before.

It's not available on the UK store though, so even if I did want to buy it off iTunes, I can't. Guess I'll have to do without.

And I agree - it looks fantastic. A lot of my previous comments on it were not complaints about the game, but rather about how people say things like "Uncharted has no load times" or "Uncharted has no pop-in/draw-in" or that the tearing is minor etc, especially when it gets mentioned in topics about games on other platforms when that's clearly not the case.

The only thing that really bothered me visually that did bother me was the framerate which caused it to tear all the time. I did also find the lack of motion blur to be harder on the eyes than I thought it would be. While I would rather everything be 60fps either with or without, it really helps smooth out the appearance of 30fps. Just getting Uncharted 2 locked to 30fps would be a big improvement though.

I hate the depth of field blur they use instead of motion blur, but I suspect that's another technique they use to hide textures loading in as you pan around quickly, rather than an alternative to motion blur. (I really hope they didn't think it was a good alternative to motion blur!)

After playing around with some of the unlockable characters (such as the Pirate) I really want to see that shirt creasing effect disappear or be improved upon in the next game. I think it's just one of those things that once you see it, you can't un-see it. In a game where everything else is so well animated, the shirt basically only having two frames of animation really sticks out to me.

The shirt creases differently depending on what actions you do and what speed you're moving out - and if you've ever stood up and sat down you'll see your clothes crease in exactly the same position - it's based on forces, your limbs and where they stretch and contract the material.

ND have created a wrinkle map - NOT a wrinkling animation. Walk slowly looking at the wrinkling of course it will wrinkle in the same positions - why would't it? Why would it jump from state to state? Reload your gun it will wrinkle in a different position, run and it will wrinkle in another.

Your comments on the creasing is vapourous.

Uncharted HAS NO LOAD TIMES...a revelation in this generation of games. So bring ing it up in other threads is very valid.

The tearing is also VERY minimal - you'r not talking to obsessive plebs here - some people you're talking to are very aware of games, game development and technicality. The overall consensus is that Uncharted tearing is minimal. After experiencing tearing in other games, I whole heartedly agree.

andycapps

I guess I must be one of the few people out there that don't notice tearing at all. Noticed pop in twice in the game at the start of levels, lasted all of 2-3 seconds. The weirdest thing last night was an odd AI routine near the end of the game
in the courtyard outside the church where you meet up with Sullivan
. An enemy was jerking around and was warping about 5 feet at a time. Looked like lag in a multiplayer game almost. Didn't last for long, but it made me chuckle.

Basch

deepbrown said:
Uncharted HAS NO LOAD TIMES...a revelation in this generation of games. So bring ing it up in other threads is very valid.

I think he was referring to texture pop-in as loading. Something very minor in my opinion. I will always consider this game free of loading. The only loading that occurs is when you first start up the game and maybe behind cutscenes. That's it. Smooth sailing for the rest of the game. Matter of fact, smoothest considering all the games as of late; even if you take into account texture pop-in. Maybe he will understand later. :lol Oh yeah, thanks for the info on the shirt deep. Never noticed in my first playthrough. Got to see this for myself.

andycapps said:
I guess I must be one of the few people out there that don't notice tearing at all. Noticed pop in twice in the game at the start of levels, lasted all of 2-3 seconds.

I didn't notice any either. I'm not even sure if I know what it is. I think I saw some in Assassin's Creed, but it didn't really affect me. :lol I guess some people get disoriented when they see it. D@mn, such a minor thing. I guess they can get affected if the picture is off position even in the slightest. They can't help it though, I think. So I should be nice. :D Don't remember texture pop-in either. Maybe once or twice, but I can't recall the instance.

Banned
Basch said:
I think he was referring to texture pop-in as loading. Something very minor in my opinion. I will always consider this game free of loading. The only loading that occurs is when you first start up the game and maybe behind cutscenes. That's it. Smooth sailing for the rest of the game. Matter of fact, smoothest considering all the games as of late; even if you take into account texture pop-in. Maybe he will understand later. :lol Oh yeah, thanks for the info on the shirt deep. Never noticed in my first playthrough. Got to see this for myself.
Yeah, that's what I was referring to as loading, and sometimes you'll get the coin loading screen if you die. Generally it handles things very well one the level has loaded though, doing a great job streaming everything in without being noticeable. (well, I did have part of a level disappear for a couple of seconds when I went backwards at one point, just before the upstream jetski bit)

Basch said:
I didn't notice any either. I'm not even sure if I know what it is. I think I saw some in Assassin's Creed, but it didn't really affect me. :lol I guess some people get disoriented when they see it. D@mn, such a minor thing. I guess they can get affected if the picture is off position even in the slightest. They can't help it though, I think. So I should be nice. :D Don't remember texture pop-in either. Maybe once or twice, but I can't recall the instance.
Out of interest, do you see it here at all? It's the stutter/flickering/separation of the hill:

http://sr-388.net/videos/mass-tearing.MP4

If you're moving forwards, it usually looks more like a ripple effect on the screen.

deepbrown said:
The shirt creases differently depending on what actions you do and what speed you're moving out - and if you've ever stood up and sat down you'll see your clothes crease in exactly the same position - it's based on forces, your limbs and where they stretch and contract the material.

ND have created a wrinkle map - NOT a wrinkling animation. Walk slowly looking at the wrinkling of course it will wrinkle in the same positions - why would't it? Why would it jump from state to state? Reload your gun it will wrinkle in a different position, run and it will wrinkle in another.
I suppose you're right, it just looks really unnatural to me the way it fades in/out or between the two exactly the same every time. When the game does its best to have all the animations unique, it just really stands out to me. But clearly I am in the extreme minority on that one.

AKS

andycapps said:
I guess I must be one of the few people out there that don't notice tearing at all. Noticed pop in twice in the game at the start of levels, lasted all of 2-3 seconds. The weirdest thing last night was an odd AI routine near the end of the game
in the courtyard outside the church where you meet up with Sullivan
. An enemy was jerking around and was warping about 5 feet at a time. Looked like lag in a multiplayer game almost. Didn't last for long, but it made me chuckle.

No, you're just one of the few people here who does not have autism, Asperger's, or obsessive compulsive disorder. I bet it would ruin some of these guys' week if they spilled a single drop of coffee on their morning newspaper. They would fold their arms and sit nervously rocking in their chairs and uncontrollably screaming obsenities for the next 6 to 7 days. They are never able to comprehend that it is not realistic to expect the performance of a $5000 gaming rig out of a $400 console. Be thankful you are able to simply enjoy good games.

Basch

andrewfee said:
Out of interest, do you see it here at all? It's the stutter/flickering/separation of the hill:

http://sr-388.net/videos/mass-tearing.MP4

If you're moving forwards, it usually looks more like a ripple effect on the screen.

Okay, I saw it, but it doesn't do anything to me. :D I'm just not affected by tearing. Guess I'm lucky.

-viper- said:
I've just realised Nathan Drake looks and sounds a bit like the ship's captain in Serenity.

Not really. Sounds like Nolan North. I'm getting used to his voice. I was able to pick him out out of Assassin's Creed: Derek Miles (or something like that). :D

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
-viper- said:
I've just realised Nathan Drake looks and sounds a bit like the ship's captain in Serenity.
He also sounds a bit like Angel (from the show Angel) with his snarky comments sometimes. Voice acting was just so enjoyable in this game for me :)

andycapps

AKS said:
No, you're just one of the few people here who does not have autism, Asperger's, or obsessive compulsive disorder. I bet it would ruin some of these guys' week if they spilled a single drop of coffee on their morning newspaper. They would fold their arms and sit nervously rocking in their chairs and uncontrollably screaming obsenities for the next 6 to 7 days. They are never able to comprehend that it is not realistic to expect the performance of a $5000 gaming rig out of a $400 console. Be thankful you are able to simply enjoy good games.

Exactly. I really don't get how people see these things. Maybe it's like the "rainbow effect" on DLP's that some people see, but most do not. Or how some people get motion sickness when playing FPS's. I have very rarely noticed tearing in my games, and didn't notice it at all in Uncharted. Not saying it isn't there, but I was way too focused on the combat, platforming, and graphics to notice that. Guess it just messes with people's minds in some way when they see it. *Shrugs*

Basch

andycapps said:
Or how some people get motion sickness when playing FPS's

He he. About that... :D

After a about five/six hours I can get a bit heated. Don't get headaches, but something pretty close. I use to get motion sick during Golden Eye. Maybe that is why I disliked it. :lol

Goldrusher

andycapps said:
Exactly. I really don't get how people see these things. Maybe it's like the "rainbow effect" on DLP's that some people see, but most do not. Or how some people get motion sickness when playing FPS's. I have very rarely noticed tearing in my games, and didn't notice it at all in Uncharted. Not saying it isn't there, but I was way too focused on the combat, platforming, and graphics to notice that. Guess it just messes with people's minds in some way when they see it. *Shrugs*

It's not something you notice throughout the game...it's not like all the textures are blue or something.

But go to the level with the submarine stuck on top of the waterfall, with another big waterfall behind it. Look at that waterfall, and pan the camera horizontally. If you can't see tearing there, well, I don't know, something's wrong with your nervous system I think.

Anyway, it's a great game and the tearing here and there didn't ruin anything for me. The forced motion blur and depth-of-field effects when panning the camera on the other hand...

Duke Togo

I just got around to playing this after a hectic Christmas break. The fact that it isn't doing well in sales is criminal. This game is arguably the best PS3 game available. The graphics and music are just mind blowing; even my wife watched me play this, and she generally doesn't like games with shooting. I really, really hope Naughty Dog sells enough over time to consider a follow up game.

sinnergy

duketogo88 said:
I just got around to playing this after a hectic Christmas break. The fact that it isn't doing well in sales is criminal. This game is arguably the best PS3 game available. The graphics and music are just mind blowing; even my wife watched me play this, and she generally doesn't like games with shooting. I really, really hope Naughty Dog sells enough over time to consider a follow up game.
QFT, best game on PS3 imo.

andycapps

:lol
Goldrusher said:
It's not something you notice throughout the game...it's not like all the textures are blue or something.

But go to the level with the submarine stuck on top of the waterfall, with another big waterfall behind it. Look at that waterfall, and pan the camera horizontally. If you can't see tearing there, well, I don't know, something's wrong with your nervous system I think.

Anyway, it's a great game and the tearing here and there didn't ruin anything for me. The forced motion blur and depth-of-field effects when panning the camera on the other hand...

I'll do that after I finish it. I am so close to the end, but I just don't have time to play it for more than a half hour at a time. Think I'm after chapter 20 now. Anyway, yeah maybe there is something wrong with me, but I think that would be a good thing. I'm able to enjoy these games very much and not notice something (yet) that gives others fits. Now I can notice slowdown if it's extreme, like in SoTC. But even then, the framerate wasn't much of a big deal for me as it didn't make it unplayable (almost made it seem like more epic slow motion :lol ).

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
duketogo88 said:

Well hopefully Sony can keep the advertising rolling well into the next year with Uncharted just like with Resistance so this game can do better. BTW pray that Ratchet does good to poor poor Ratchet such and awesome game yet so poor in sales.

FirewalkR

It didn't happen in the beginning of every level or after every cutscene, but this was probably the first game where in some of those instances, when the game gave me control again, for a few seconds I thought "I can't believe i'm controlling these visuals in real-time". Now this may seem like an exaggeration, since the graphics aren't THAT far ahead of everything else (although imho it beats everything else currently in consoles), but... I guess it was the combination of graphics, art and animation in some specific circumstances that gave me that sensation.

If I recall correctly one of those moments was shortly after
Nate finds the plane wreck, goes in and gets out, and before he spots the fort where Elena is
. I'm not sure if there's a cutscene after
Nate gets off the plane
but I think one such moment happened in that area. These "moments" didn't last long, but happened more than once. :)

CBal2424

Banned
Did they remove that action cam, that when drake does a long ass jump the camera shows it from the side and goes into slow motion, I was watching the making of movies and I seen it in there and it didnt happen in the game.

Raist

Banned
bigswords said:
Hmmm when you play as Altair and you move back and forth, he feels really graceful human-like movements. You play as Drake and he moves like a monkey on speed. I can't put my finger on it but he's movement on the ground although is smooth but it's not as tight as Altair's

Yeah, I agree. But that's mostly because Altair's movements are way slower than Drake's. Obviously, such slow movements wouldn't have worked with UDF's gameplay.
But yeah, the animation looks much more natural and fluid but if you really pay attention and try to ignore the speed of Drake's movements, they're also very nicely done.

However, the variety of the animations for Drake is completely on another level, and there's much more overlays, too. Oh, and Drake looks also more "alive". You see him breathe, react to shots, etc.

J-Rzez

andrewfee said:
Oh, and for people thinking I was hating on the game with my previous posts, I wasn't. I was just saying it's not nearly as technically perfect as a lot of people are claiming. It still looks amazing, though I must say the shirt "animation" continued to bother me throughout, and the tearing was pretty awful - not Mass Effect bad, but bad nonetheless. (I checked and it was running in 720p, not being scaled up to 1080p so that wasn't the reason) Almost every area in the game had tearing at some point, even in enclosed spaces like the U-Boat. Hopefully they'll have that sorted in the sequel.

Listen, the game's not 100% perfect visually, but it is the most impressive looking game a lot of people have seen so far this gen, and by a nice spread. That's what people are saying. What you're commenting on is so small of an infraction and making it seem like it's a big deal. If the shirt is that much of an issue for you, then I feel bad for you, as something so simple and trifle that looks good to so many others bothers you so much, then wow. I feel bad because there's nothing this gen that will satisfy you, and most likely, nothing in the near future either. Yes, it has some texture pop-in, but it's a streaming game, so it's expected. Just it's not nearly as bad as UE3 games. Tearing doesn't happen all that much, I have an eye for it, and it seems to be very seldom and random, with it happening near the bottom and top of the screen out of the way most of the time.

I'm sure they'll sort out many of the "majorly distracting" issues in the sequel. If you look how much Insomniac progressed over their games (ND is just as talented), and the fact that Wells said Uncharted is honestly using 30 or so percent of the PS3's available power, it's going to get way better.

-viper- said:

I just watched Firefly on DVD, and I kept thinking that the Captain seemed familiar, but I couldn't figure out why. :lol

Has anyone talked about the A.I. in this game? I'm playing it on crushing right now and it's like a whole new experience really. The enemies are rushing me way more so I'm almost forced to start blind firing a lot more and I like it :). Also they get into cover pretty quick when you start shooting at them. This is way more fun than trying to play COD4 on the hardest difficulty. There's just so much more strategy to the gunyplay/gameplay.

InterMoniker said:
Has anyone talked about the A.I. in this game? I'm playing it on crushing right now and it's like a whole new experience really. The enemies are rushing me way more so I'm almost forced to start blind firing a lot more and I like it :). Also they get into cover pretty quick when you start shooting at them. This is way more fun than trying to play COD4 on the hardest difficulty. There's just so much more strategy to the gunyplay/gameplay.

I loved playing the game on crushing, even though I almost threw my controller a few times. The enemy movements blew me away, I found myself doing trial and error to find the best spots to get them pirates

Lince

Banned
InterMoniker said:

IAWTP

just finished my run on crushing, 920/1000 reward points 59/60 treasures (damn!) last couple of chapters have been a bitch but made me feel "hardcore" :lol the game is mighty awesome in this difficulty level, playing on normal/hard feels so dumb now.

BelligerentOC said:
I loved playing the game on crushing, even though I almost threw my controller a few times. The enemy movements blew me away, I found myself doing trial and error to find the best spots to get them pirates
HAhaha Yeah I know what you mean but it's so damn fun you want to try again and again. Damn pirates! If you broke your controller how would you play uncharted? :p
Lince said:
IAWTP

just finished my run on crushing, 920/1000 reward points 59/60 treasures (damn!) last couple of chapters have been a bitch but made me feel "hardcore" :lol the game is mighty awesome in this difficulty level, playing on normal/hard feels so dumb now.
I'm probably gonna beat it on crushing today it's so damn fun.

Comments from Tim at Ctrl+Alt+Del on Uncharted: Drake's Fortune [Edited 360 vs. PS3, American system vs. Japanese system B.S. out]

Tim said:
So I've been playing Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, and true to my word, I bring you my impressions. To sum it up, this is one of the best games I have played in the last few months. And not just the best PS3 game, because let's face it, that wouldn't be saying much at all. No, this is one of the best games I've played in the last few months on any system, and that company includes Bioshock, Assassin's Creed and Mass Effect.

I'll get to the "finally, PS3 gets a great title" part of this in a second, but I want to talk about the game itself first. I think the best way to describe it would be to say... that it is like playing a movie. As far as I'm concerned, this game at least, if no other, disproves the idea that video games cannot be written and acted to the same level of television and film.

The voice acting for these characters is some of the best I have ever heard in a video game, and that's what grabs you right out of the gate, the sheer character of these... well, characters. It also doesn't hurt that (at least to me) Nathan Drake sounds eerily like Nathan Fillion (but it isn't his voice). Also, it may just be me, but I think Sully looks an awful lot like Paul Newman. All I can think of when I see him is Fast Eddie. Though he also has a little bit of young Marlon Brando to him as well.

This is the opening scene of the game, so there are no spoilers here. It gives a pretty good idea of the caliber of voice acting (and movie style feel) you can expect throughout the game (video quality is kind of crap, the first 10 seconds especially, but it's the only thing I could find)

Basically you play as Nathan Drake, a descendant of Sir Francis Drake, on a hunt for big treasure. It's a lot of pulp action/adventure with tomb-raiding, vine-swinging, cliff-scaling, modern pirate-fighting alongside your sassy female reporter tag-along, and your older partner who owes money to all the wrong people. Not a lot that you haven't seen before, if you enjoy action/adventure movies in the vein of Indiana Jones. However the execution of all of these elements is so masterfully done, you'll end up getting sucked into and enjoying the story just as much as an Indiana Jones flick (not counting the new one, since we have no idea yet, but I hope it measures up).

And dare I say it... this game may just be a better tomb raider than Tomb Raider. Which goes to show that crypt-crawling and treasure hunting can be fun without big hooters. Though on an interesting note, I seem to have been conditioned by years of gaming to always expect the "surprise attack" when I'm crawling around in the dark ruins of a long dead civilization. So it was throwing me off quite a bit, as I was expecting all of these skeletons lying around to leap out at me. I found myself jumping and shooting a lot of "just to be sure" bullets for a while there. However Uncharted is (so far) not that kind of game, and is (so far) rooted mostly in reality. So aside from the present-day pirates hunting the same treasure you are, your number one foe becomes the environment itself, and Uncharted handles it well. It's a lot of platforming and leaping from ledge to ledge, but controls are nice and responsive, so I haven't encountered any of those frustrating platforming moments we're all familiar with.

If you have a PS3, and you don't own this game, I don't know what the hell you spent $600 for...

86pblp1.jpg

http://www.cad-comic.com/

Dante

The last Medal I need is the one where you blow up 3 dudes with an explosion. Any suggestions on the best place to get it?

Grayman

Dante said:
The last Medal I need is the one where you blow up 3 dudes with an explosion. Any suggestions on the best place to get it?
There is a m79 guy on a ruin infront of a forest area full of spike traps. you'll get rushed by 4-5 guys here. It is before you get to the fortress i think.

Dante said:
I don't know mabey in the church or that "Trapped" level

Grayman said:
There is a m79 guy on a ruin infront of a forest area full of spike traps. you'll get rushed by 4-5 guys here. It is before you get to the fortress i think.
Ya right before the fortress with that rocket launcher sounds like a good spot too.

Just beat it on Normal.
About 7.5 hours. but probably more like 10 hours with movies and retries.

Only complaints I have - not enough good puzzles and Chapter 18/19 completely screwed up my sound effects for those 2 chapters. Not sure why.

9.5/10
3rd Best Game of the Year.

Gonna play on Hard soon.

Treo360

So, it arrived in the mail today at around 2 pm est. I was already sold based on the demo, I pop it in, and two hours later and about 8 chapters in I'm hooked. I guess it was a good thing that Live is on the fritz during "Primetime," because I didn't want to stop. At the same time I don't want to blow it all in one sitting either, the game is that good.

However, aside from the bullet sponge enemies, the terrible tearing that occurs, this is THE must own game for any PS3 owner. Haters be damned. Of course this could all change if the ending is weak :p

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to bed soon and dream about El Dorado's Gold.

Basch

Treo360 said:
So, it arrived in the mail today at around 2 pm est. I was already sold based on the demo, I pop it in, and two hours later and about 8 chapters in I'm hooked. I guess it was a good thing that Live is on the fritz during "Primetime," because I didn't want to stop. At the same time I don't want to blow it all in one sitting either, the game is that good.

However, aside from the bullet sponge enemies, the terrible tearing that occurs, this is THE must own game for any PS3 owner. Haters be damned. Of course this could all change if the ending is weak :p

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to bed soon and dream about El Dorado's Gold.

Enjoy. It gets a lot more interesting the further you get in the game. I'm sure you'll love it. Bring me back some of that gold when you wake up though, 'kay? :D

fernoca

Loved the demo..
Finally got the game (to go along with my new white PS3..hehe.. :) )and really awesome so far....I'm barely the Chapter 5 (or 6?)
The Fortress
I stopped playing because oof some problems with electricity (turned off the system 2 times :/)...

<---I didn't! :p

Basch

fernoca said:
Loved the demo..
Finally got the game (to go along with my new white PS3..hehe.. :) )and really awesome so far....I'm barely the Chapter 5 (or 6?)
The Fortress
I stopped playing because oof some problems with electricity (turned off the system 2 times :/)...

<---I didn't! :p

'Tis awesome indeed. You need to play some more Uncharted. Quick, find a new way to harness electricity, charge the PS3, and put baby Drake back where he belongs. :D ...new white PS3... Lucky. I'm fine with the black one, but somehow the white one just makes me want to touch it.

By the way, noticed your little problem over there. ^^ :lol NSFW? Don't worry about it. Everyone makes mistakes.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
A user above mentioned El Dorado; I wish Naughty Dog designed the game such that the final level would take place in the mythical city of El Dorado itself.

It's too bad it's just a casket

fernoca

Ive been playing it also at 720p, 27", through an HDMi-DVi cable...and havn't noticed any tearing or anything....maybe I'm just dumb.. :p

The game is damn beautifully detailed...the whole reason as to why I'm like at 2 hours but only chapter 5, is because I spend a good amount of time just walking around and looking at the leaves, sun, water, etc...

Top Bottom