• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Basch

Oohhh... New page. I'm going to repost my parody on entertainment. Our fellow Uncharted fans have to wake up to something good tomorrow...

------------------------------------

Know what? I got a great idea for Uncharted 2. They should have Nate and Elena return as the leading characters, but wait something's wrong with Sully. Sully shoots Nate. Oh my God the horror. Nate tells Elena to never forget him. Elena runs off and than becomes the main character for Uncharted 2, dethroning Assassin's Creed for biggest twist in a video game. Later when federal law enforcement comes to inspect the crime, Nate's body is gone, and with it the necklace he had cherished so much. It is there that Elena gathers her courage and vows to find the necklace at all costs. She would get to the bottom of this and find why the necklace was so important to Sully.

As she journeys to the north through the artic tundras of Canada, hot on the trails of her lover's murderer, she begins to have these abnormal dreams. In the dreams, she is alone: all alone and crying. Crying crying crying. Then out of the corner of her eye, she sees him. She sees Nate. She gets up in a hurry, but it is already too late. He fades back into the shadows. He is gone again, and she is alone once more. She cries. Then, in the blink of an eye as if shot out from the Heavens themselves a burst of light engulfs all: shining through the darkness. Nate is there. He is back, and he stands there scared. He trembles and looks around, seeking for comfort. Elena rushes up and tries to grab his hands. She passes through him. He continues to stare, looking for that comfort. It is then that she realizes that the light was coming from her. It was radiating from her body outward. She finally understood. He was alive. He's not dead. She began to fall from her dream. The light closing back up into her womb.

She had learned all she needed to know. Nate was still alive, and she was going to rescue him. She decided a change of attire would reflect this mood. She quickly grabbed various materials and sewed herself a dress like none other. It was blue, with white frills. She even decided to grab a microphone and sing about Real Emotion to penguins and wild beasts of the night. They would all feel her amazing voice and cease what they were doing as if in a trance. She then took out her pistol and shot them all. She even justified that it was necessary to finding Nate. She continued to travel for miles and miles, and eventually reached the coast. Where was she supposed to go now.

She collapsed. She sat on the ground for what must have been hours, and then realized she had wasted too much time. She then proceeded to rewind time back to where she first encountered the coast, all the while the noise of film being rewound echoed in her ears. All of a sudden she could make a noise out of it, "PIGS BLOOD"; more rewinding, "ROCKS!" She stopped. She resumed time and decided to head west. "Why do you choose west?" Elena turned around. Across from her was a girl in a blue dress with white frills and blonde hair. She looked familiar. "Nate always loved Rocks. East is full of vivaciously vigor vigrants who try to oppose their government with wands. Nate never was one for politics." The other gave an exasperating sigh, "EAST! The far east." Elena smiled, "I don't wish to fall off World's End. The only other place to go is West. Believe it!"

With that said, Elena continued her journey west. She met cowboys and buffalo and more cowboys and buffalo... and long stretches of land with nothing to do. :D Finally, she reached the end. She could see the lapping waters rush up onto the shore. She even thought she saw a bottle wash up ashore. She thought it had a note in it, but thought she would be invading peoples privacy if she read them now. She turned around to have one last look at the land she was about to leave behind. Dust rolled in the distance. She looked down at her watch. It read 3:10. She let out a sigh and turned to meet the waters. "This should only take 60 seconds." She waded out into the waters, and looked up. A wave. It crashed down upon her body. She felt an instant surge of pain. She let out a whelp. And then as if a ton of bricks left her, she let go. SPLOOSH! Her eyes wide, she looked down and snatched the baby dangling by its umbilical cord. Holding him by his heel, she trudged through the rest of the knee deep waters and found herself in Alaska. She turned back around and saw an inconvenient truth begin to overtake the land.

She ran and ran. Ran, ran, and ran. Soon it was dark, and she couldn't find anybody, "Anybody?!?" To her disbelief, far into the darkness, she heard something move. A cry pierced the night as invisible nightwalkers jumped roof to roof watching her. She passed by a forklift. She thought she saw someone in there with a shotgun, but wasn't for sure. She went into one of the houses in town, and was encountered by the villagers. "You come from the beyond?" Elena met their gazes, "Look I don't know what you guys are talking about, just shoot 'em in the head. It works for me. Now if you'll excuse me." She went upstairs and opened the window. With the baby in her hands, she thrust him out of the window to get better light. The moon was not able to offer much, but it was enough. She inspected the boy and found him to be of weak build. She discarded him: absorbed into the abyss with a sickening thud. She left the house then, but, out of the corner of her eye, she saw him. It was Nate. She walked up to him. It seemed he was hunched over something. SMUCK SMUCK SMUCK. She looked down and saw pieces of the umbilical cord she had cut when she was upstairs. GASP!

Nate began to get up, ready to meet his next meal. Elena wide-eyed, began to back up. She fled. She fled for what must have been days. Weeks even. She tried to count how many but couldn't get past 23. She found an abandoned factory, and walked in. It was dark in here, but only for a while. Suddenly, the lights were turned on. She let out a shriek. There were 88 nightwalkers surrounding her. But she didn't have a weapon to fight them with. Use the heart. Its your only hope. She turned around and found a key that was wedged in between some gears. She pulled it out. "Without a heart, you guys have nothing. I know that the kingdom is light!" Then it goes all black and white and she slices and dices. She also chucks a few ninja stars. Eventually she kills them all except for one. She pulls the lone survivor over to where she found the key. "Where's Sully!!!" "I don't know," the figure responds. She slams his head against the revolving gears. "WHERE'S SULLY!!!" He couldn't take it this time, "He's waiting for you. He's in the..." A dart soars in and punctures the fighter's neck. As he breathes his last breaths, he says, "You can save him. Just sacrifice yourself and the magic will be broken."

Elena hesitates, and then goes upstairs to the rafters. At the top, Sully waits. He has the ring of power. The energy in the place seems to rise. He has mutated eyes and a heart that pumps outside of his body. He has become a monster now. Instead of fingers, he has tendrils: big; large ones. He seems to think he is perfect. Just then, a new person appears. Behind Elena, storms in Nate. He looks at Elena, transfixed and unwavering. He frowns and tears pour out from his blood drenched eyes. Elena rushes over to him. Sully sees what is going on and sends his tendrils flying towards Nate. Elena is one step ahead of him, though, and throws herself in front of him. The tentacles drive through her. Nate stands there aghast. Elena, by the force of the blow, is sent hurdling off the rafters and lands on a stone table. Symbols light up and she begins to heal up. Nate, because of her sacrifice, is free of his barbaric bonds and pulls out uzis from under his shirt. He shoots at Sully sending hundreds of bullets his way. Some kick-a$$ music starts playing and they start shooting at eachother from behind cover: Nate dodging stuff, and Sully trying to avoid all the whizzing bullets. Eventually, Nate shoots off one of his tentacles and then sees a bunch of explosive barrels. He shoots them and the resulting explosion shakes the Earth. A blinding white light engulfs the world.

Nate and Elena are together again. They are on a purple shore, looking at a big egg hovering above the water with weird orange globs floating over to it. Nate says, "I don't want to be a part of that. I want to be with you." Elena holds her stomache which now has bandages around it, "You are so f*(c)ked up." They hug, and kiss. Then they are sent back into the world, and are congradulated by a bunch of random people, including Naughty Dog. And so they lived happily ever after.

The End. Or is it? Uncharted 3 lives. :D

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Beat the game tonight on normal - 33/60 treasures. I was under the impression you could see your completion time somehow? If so, where is it?

I liked it quite a bit and immediately restarted on hard and played through the boat scene, which is something I rarely (if ever) do.

I don't think I'll go through the whole thing again, but I do intend on playing up until the fortress of therabouts.

j-wood

I'm curious, for those who notice tearing often, what resolution are you playing the game at?

I really think that issues like this, and reviews of games, need to take resolution into consideration. It's much like playing PC now...i have seen cases where resolution affects how much screen tearing goes on.

Personally, I played uncharted at 720p and noticed screen tearing maybe twice, if that.

Basch

GDJustin said:
Beat the game tonight on normal - 33/60 treasures. I was under the impression you could see your completion time somehow? If so, where is it?

I liked it quite a bit and immediately restarted on hard and played through the boat scene, which is something I rarely (if ever) do.

I don't think I'll go through the whole thing again, but I do intend on playing up until the fortress of therabouts.

Glad you like it. I think before you started the new game the dialog information that would display if you hovered over play contained information of your play time. I wouldn't know how to call it up now. Once you save, try hovering over your file in the load screen and see what happens.

GDJustin said:

You can also use the chapter select feature to jump to any point in the game on any difficulty level -- good for when you want to try the cistern area in the fort or the cathedral on Hard/Crushing. :D

andycapps

As I mentioned yesterday, finished the game night before last and the total time on medium was 9 hours, 44 minutes. Started it on hard last night, don't think I've replayed games on higher difficulties much at all in the past, but this game is so good I want to keep playing.

No6

Thrakier said:
Is anythere a list with tips how to get all the medals? some of them seem to be ver hard like dyno expert and stealth kills.
Is dyno-mite or whatever the kill 5 in one blast medal? I got that one after getting off the jetski for the first time. Go to the crates on the bridge, trigger the enemies, and they'll start to gravitate towards the barrels on the right. I think at that point I ran forward, triggered more enemies on the opposite side of the building, and shot the barrels to blow them up. Took a few tries, but not so many that I was annoyed.

Stealth is a tougher one. That and some of the hand to hand combos need to be worked on near the beginning of the game, because when desert eagles start showing up it's pretty much impossible.

No6

Thrakier said:
I did all the handjobs. :D I'm missing this dyno-thing, throwing grenades while hanging and stealth.
Don't the kills earned before deaths stack? Assuming you're replaying to pull off the achievements, I can think of a couple locations where you can rack up a few hanging grenade kills (again, sunken city, where you have to swim through a narrow channel before fighting a bunch of guys). Stealth... well, I guess just build them up over time.

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
Just got my PS3 and downloaded Uncharted Demo. Love it but is there a way to remap the 'fire' button from R1 to R2?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
1up has an "Afterthoughts" feature up on Uncharted. An interview with Evan Wells and Amy Hennig.

If it seems difficult to find a PlayStation 3 gem, you obviously haven't uncovered Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. We have -- that's why we rounded up Naughty Dog Copresident Evan Wells and Uncharted Director Amy Hennig to spill the jewels on their game.

Evan Wells, copresident of Uncharted developer Naughty Dog, has worked on some expected (the Jak and Crash series) and unexpected projects. Panic on Funkotron, anyone?

The career of game director Amy Hennig also covers a lot of ground. Before moving over to Naughty Dog, she was at Crystal Dynamics working on the Legacy of Kain series.

EGM: So, how much did Gears of War influence Uncharted's development?

Evan Wells: Certainly we all played Gears of War and liked it. It set a bar visually that we knew we wanted to compete with.... As far as gameplay, I think I've heard them cite the same game that put us on this path: kill.switch. Gears of War obviously took that to another level, and again, that level of polish helped push us.

EGM: Drake hardly seems like an everyman hero, given his perfect aim and all these great leaps he does... why was he billed as such?

Amy Hennig: It's funny; everybody uses that term differently. For instance, people call Bruce Willis in Die Hard an everyman hero.

EW: The reason we bring it up so often is to point out that we're trying to distinguish ourselves from characters like Master Chief, Marcus Fenix, and Lara Croft, who are these superheroes, these acrobats, and who stick every landing. Nathan Drake is not that, and yet he still manages to be a hero.

EGM: Elena, on the other hand, is more of a refreshing character -- not all boobs and leather. Was this a conscious attempt to avoid that kind of femme fatale character?

AH: Well, she has boobs and she's wearing a leather belt....

EGM: [Laughs] You got us there.

AH: It was definitely a conscious choice. If Nate's going to be an everyman, we want her to be an everywoman...like a 21st-century version of the classic '30s foil for the hero -- the spunky, cute girl next door. She has her own humor, her own strengths and weaknesses in her personality. So that meant, in her character design, that she has a real person's proportions.

EGM: About the puzzles, they wouldn't make much sense without Drake's diary in terms of figuring out what you have to do, but that diary pretty much spells out exactly what you need to do. Were the puzzles intentionally made this straightforward?

AH: We focus-tested this game... and it came back that people either marked the puzzling just right or a little too hard.

EW: Some of those puzzles were ratcheted up a notch or two [earlier in the game's development], and we had to back them off because they became brick walls and players would become stuck.

AH: I'm almost wondering as an older gamer that maybe the current crop of gamers [have different tastes]? We were concerned going into the focus tests that we needed to make more difficult puzzles. And the opposite information came back consistently.

EGM: The final boss battle at the end of the game is a little bit lame. Did you ever have plans for a different finale?

EW: Nothing dramatically different. We created this island and this world, so we had to come up with a boss battle that fit within those confines. If we had a few more weeks, we probably would have made the setup a little more elaborate, but it was still pretty much the direction we were headed.

AH: [With] a lot of games, you get this jumping-the-shark problem at the end because you've got to be ramping up to something. Because movies are more about the narrative and the emotional experience, they get away with less. Whereas with games, it's almost like we have to shift our thinking away from boss battles to peaks of the experience.

EGM: In the end, do you feel you captured what you were going for?

AH: It's doing what we wanted it to do. So many games are cynical and dark and gritty; we wanted this to feel colorful, optimistic, humorous, and romantic. Those are funny words to use for a videogame, particularly one where you're popping hundreds of guys in the head with bullets, but it's that sense of the romance of adventure that we felt was lacking in so many games these days.

Sorry if this is olde.

dralla

ok so a pirate just threw a grenade at me, I shot the grenade with my Shotgun [accidentily] and it bounced off the wooden box I was hiding behind, than it flew straight up into the air about 20 feet high and landed on me. :[

Concept17

Shepherd said:
Just got my PS3 and downloaded Uncharted Demo. Love it but is there a way to remap the 'fire' button from R1 to R2?

Yeah, hit up your local retail store, buy the full version, and do as you please. The demo does not do the game justice.

fernoca

Just finished the game: 9h27m on Normal, 38/60 treasure and 410 Reward/Medal Points.

Amazing game from beginning to end..mostly because for me to actually finish a game, I really really have to love it...(plus got it on January 9th, so -to me- I finished kinda fast..)...
Big props to Naughty Dog. :)

By the way, it really got me the whole "Next Gen Visuals Filter" bonus you unlock as you play..hehehe...is like they were inspired by the posts around here about the "next-gen visuals" being blur, and brownish lighting.. :lol :lol

Grayman

No6 said:
Don't the kills earned before deaths stack? Assuming you're replaying to pull off the achievements, I can think of a couple locations where you can rack up a few hanging grenade kills (again, sunken city, where you have to swim through a narrow channel before fighting a bunch of guys). Stealth... well, I guess just build them up over time.
yes before deaths works. I'd also suggest the place in ch4 where you can go through a gate or hangman, when you die there you go back to a spot before the gate. I would have probably earned both medals from the demo alone in that spot.

fernoca said:
Just finished the game: 9h27m on Normal, 37/40 treasure and 410 Reward/Medal Points.

Amazing game from beginning to end..mostly because for me to actually finish a game, I really really have to love it...(plus got it on January 9th, so -to me- I finished kinda fast..)...
Big props to Naughty Dog. :)

By the way, it really got me the whole "Next Gen Visuals Filter" bonus you unlock as you play..hehehe...is like they were inspired by the posts around here about the "next-gen visuals" being blur, and brownish lighting.. :lol :lol

There's 60 treasures not 40.

Christopher

Like I said this game is perfect the only problem I had with it:

Lack of bosses.

Given the whole story about the relic and what have you, plus the jungle enviorment I really think they could have got creative with it, and give you a fresh alternative to shooting the same people again and again...maybe every 3 chapters or so.

MY ONLY COMPLAINT DON'T KILL ME.

Also what exactly is tearing?

Kittonwy

Banned
Christopher said:

Lack of bosses.

Given the whole story about the relic and what have you, plus the jungle enviorment I really think they could have got creative with it, and give you a fresh alternative to shooting the same people again and again...maybe every 3 chapters or so.

Don't ask and we won't tell, it's something that you can't unlook once you know what to look for, it hurts your visual enjoyment in nearly every game that has it, there's no benefit in you knowing what it is.

Core407

Banned
So what do you guys want to see in a sequel? I hope ND allows you to slide into cover and perform similar moves to avoid gun fire and so on.

Kittonwy

Banned
Core407 said:
So what do you guys want to see in a sequel? I hope ND allows you to slide into cover and perform similar moves to avoid gun fire and so on.

You can already do a roll five fee away from cover and if you're close you automatically transition right into cover.

Christopher

Core407 said:

In a sequel I'd want...

Boss Battles.

longer length / more supporting characters.

A different area - maybe Antartica? I can see them doing some pretty cool things in terms of graphics with that kind of terrian.

Improved combat - although I think the current system is fine, I'm all in for improvements.

Honestly that's all I can think of...

IJoel

I completed the game the other day and really liked it. The graphics are superb, and some of the best, and the environments are, at times, jaw dropping. My complaints would be:

1. Length felt way too short
2. Lack of challenging puzzles
3. Game was skewed more towards action, than platforming... but I loved the exploration and platforming more... needs more platforming/acrobatics
4. I HATE THE DS3 CONTROLLER FOR PRECISION AIMING (this almost ruined the game for me)

Definitely the best PS3 game this year and a pretty good game overall.

indie85

Banned
Christopher said:

Lack of bosses.

Actually, I was really glad there were no boss battles in uncharted. Take resistence for instance, loved it, but the very last boss battle at the top of the chimeran tower, I just couldnt complete, thus i never completed the game proper. Soured the game for me a little.
Uncharted has its boss battles in the form of intense rushes of enemies, or pitting you in vulnerable positions, I like that because it never feels cheap, you always feel like if you play decently, you can get through them. Not so with some boss battles.

dralla

mysticstylez said:
Ok I'm new to the PS3 and just downloaded the Uncharted demo. What is all the talk about handjobs? I'm a sucker for handjobs.

beat the game on crushing and you unlock a "special" cutscene with Elena and Drake

Proc

I finished this the other night. Solid, solid game. It really came into its own by the end of it; excluding those damn jetski missions and the sort of rushed ending. Damn fine game.

SickBoy

j-wood said:
I'm curious, for those who notice tearing often, what resolution are you playing the game at?

I really think that issues like this, and reviews of games, need to take resolution into consideration. It's much like playing PC now...i have seen cases where resolution affects how much screen tearing goes on.

Personally, I played uncharted at 720p and noticed screen tearing maybe twice, if that.

I'm playing at 1080i... notice it every now and then... it hasn't been a huge issue although it has been noticeable... but it's not like Bioshock when you unlock the framerate or anything...

That said, I think it's an issue developers (or Sony or Microsoft or whoever) should take care of.... you shouldn't have to change your output to accommodate an individual game.

As for the game. It's really good but it's not the killer app I was led to believe... I think the reviews are dead on... I can see how there are people totally in love with it, but I was pretty pumped up for it... maybe a little too pumped up for it.

AKS

Proc said:
I finished this the other night. Solid, solid game. It really came into its own by the end of it; excluding those damn jetski missions and the sort of rushed ending. Damn fine game.

I usually despise vehicle missions. They usually feel tacked on and are the weakest part of the game. I ended up loving the vehicle missions in Uncharted, however. I thought they were a lot of fun.

Duderz

Banned
Just finished the game. It was definitely within my expectations - not mind blowing, but very enjoyable. An enjoyable story really sealed the deal for me.

I also would've liked boss battles. Plenty of situations that Nathan could've been placed in, but no such luck. At the same time, was it me, or did it seem like EVERY enemy needed at least 5 bullets put into them before they finally died? I felt like I was battling the Genome Army!

Kittonwy

Banned
Duderz said:
Just finished the game. It was definitely within my expectations - not mind blowing, but very enjoyable. An enjoyable story really sealed the deal for me.

I also would've liked boss battles. Plenty of situations that Nathan could've been placed in, but no such luck. At the same time, was it me, or did it seem like EVERY enemy needed at least 5 bullets put into them before they finally died? I felt like I was battling the Genome Army!

One shot in the head is all it takes, or 3-4 shots to the body, wes44 takes one shot, desert eagle 1-2 depending on whether the enemy is wearing armor or not.

I'm not reading this thread, but I wanted to chime in that I finally got a PS3 (60 gig, thank god!) and a copy of uncharted. I'm at the point where I've climbed around the castle (?) and was able to use a turret on some enemies.

I think I have 19 treasures found so far, and have completed most of the non-treasure, non secret-medal "achievements". Awesome game so far!

The only "achievment" I'm having trouble completing is the one where you have to kill 5 consecutive enemies with one punch after weakening em with bullets. It seems to be random how many non-head shots will kill an enemy, and even more random when one punch will trigger a killing attack afterwards.

One thing I don't get is how at the start of the game the reporter chick already has the will do just shoot and kill pirates like it happens all the time. oh shit i just had texture pop in. i hate that.

Grayman

Kittonwy said:
One shot in the head is all it takes, or 3-4 shots to the body, wes44 takes one shot, desert eagle 1-2 depending on whether the enemy is wearing armor or not.
wes44 and deagle are about the same in power, you just won't have a 44 against mercs often unless you get it from rewards. Fat pirates also take 2 shots with it.

GrayFoxPL

Grayman said:
wes44 and deagle are about the same in power, you just won't have a 44 against mercs often unless you get it from rewards. Fat pirates also take 2 shots with it.

Desert Eagle is a lot stronger then wes 44. I used 44 on mercs as I always saved it and sometimes a merc lived after 2 shots from it. That was on hard btw.

Eagle is awesome, like a cannon - BOOM! :lol

Quite late in the game I noticed how fun Beretta is. The fire rate is almost as fast as your trigger finger, feels great. :D

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Here's my interview with Evan Wells; some nice answers, but as my first ever interview I kind of botched up the questions and didn't exactly give Evan the chance to go into depth on anything...

Ah well, two things I've learnt about Games Journalism: Don't ask about unnanounced games, take notes at freaking press events...

http://www.britishgaming.co.uk/?p=2756

Top Bottom