• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Kittonwy

Banned
Dyno said:
Regarding precision shooting and shooting from the hip.

Like most people the first time I played through the game I was aiming and shooting everything. Only toward the end of the game did I realise that running and gunning was equally effective in certain situations. The second time I played through I utilized the hip shooting mechanic a whole lot more and it made some fights not only easier but more action-packed and quick. Besides, how else do you think I got the Steel Fist rewards?

The game is made so bloodly well that there are two separate shooting mechanics that are both highly polished and fun.

Can't say enough about this game. I'll definately go through the game a third time on Crushing.

Especially when I'm getting approached by mercs trying to flank while staying under tall cover, it's sometimes advantageous to just take a shotgun/machine gun, run and gun to the next cover spot while killing the nearest foo.
Indifferent2.gif

Banned
Christopher said:
even with the horrible amounts of tearing?!
I never said it would stop me from playing or enjoying the game, but I think it's pretty ridiculous that we have systems this powerful and yet developers don't have enough restraint to hold back on the graphics and hit a solid 30fps which should be the absolute bare minimum for a game. They didn't even use motion blur to try and smooth things out. (which helps to some degree, but I still think everything should be 60)

The tearing becomes pretty much a non issue after about the halfway point. There's almost zero tearing in the catacombs and underground parts.

I agree though, it would've been nice if it was completely non existent.

Blablurn

Got my japanese version from YesAsia two days ago. It works perfectly on my european PS3. The game is pure awesomeness. best graphics i've seen this gen (and besides of bioshock I played most of the important games). it's just stunning :3

I'm at chaper 13 at the moment. looking forward to a great finish. Maybe i'll finish it today.

Blunty

Why does everybody care about tearing so much? I don't get it. It's there for a second or two, then it's gone. Better than having a loading screen.

If you don't see it don't ask to have it pointed out.

Fired up Uncharterd again yesterday for the first time and was wowed all over again. The graphics are just wow and so is the music.

Raist

Banned
Blunty said:
Why does everybody care about tearing so much? I don't get it. It's there for a second or two, then it's gone. Better than having a loading screen.

Some don't even spot it.
Some spot it but don't care at all.
Some spot it and care if there's a terrible amount of it (I'm right here. Jeebus, AC)
Some spot it and can't stand it. At all.

deepbrown

Might as well post the first part of the Neogaf/ Naughty Dog interview here as well

http://www.ripten.com/2008/01/17/ri...iew-part-1-background-and-character-creation/

Today we begin our three part interview with Naughty Dog’s Lead Character Artist, Richard Diamant. Joining this experienced developer in January 2006, Richard is in charge of the look, pipelines, and creation of the characters in Naughty Dog games.

In the first part of our interview we discuss the character creation process and the models themselves, from their polygon and texture count, to the laborious steps taken to create their hair.

Just started playing the game. I've reached level 6 and I'm loving it. I really wasn't too impressed with the demo, so I was originally planning on waiting for a good deal before buy but after hearing the constant praise the game was getting I couldn't resist any longer. After playing it for a while now, I have to say they really picked a horrible section of the game to use in the demo. It was far to combat heavy, the platforming was far too simple and there was no problem solving. What attracts me to the action/adventure genre isn't really the combat, it's the platforming and problem solving and the demo convinced me that those to aspects were deemphasized. That really isn't the case in the final product.

I know it may sound crazy and I know it would never happen but I think a second demo from a different section of the game that emphasizes the platforming could really help convince more people, like myself, that they have to buy this game.

cyclone87

Raist said:
Some don't even spot it.
Some spot it but don't care at all.
Some spot it and care if there's a terrible amount of it (I'm right here. Jeebus, AC)
Some spot it and can't stand it. At all.

I've heard a bit about screen tearing in Uncharted however I've done everything except completing the game on Crushing and I've not noticed any.

cyclone87 said:
I've heard a bit about screen tearing in Uncharted however I've done everything except completing the game on Crushing and I've not noticed any.

It's definitely there but it is not bad at all especially compared to a game like Assassin's Creed or Mass Effect. When you watch the Making of Video you can really see how much they've minimized it though in the final product. In those videos of earlier builds the screen was constantly tearing, in the final version it only occasionally tears in certain situations, such as looking over a expansive vista for example. The problem is apparently some people are so sensitive to screen tearing that they can't stand even the most minor tearing issues.

Dazzyman

I dont get tearing like that at start of the game (running 720p) as that looks horrific. Ive had it VERY rarely and its pretty minor on my unit so much so that its not something Id mention as its that rare for me (and Ive been thru it 3 times). Worst Ive seen it was at the sub bit and then its gone as soon as you see it. I guess some people like to whinge about out, myself Ive been happy to play the great game.

Tearing can be down to all sorts anyway not just the machine being used, plenty of panels out their tear like mad and if my unit teared like that on that video Id be phoning up for a replacement or refund :lol

As I said for me seen sod all tearing, nothing like Mass Effect, Assasins Creed and the worst one of the year PC Gears Of War with vsync on or off as that tears all the chuffing time (but I still love it).

Dazzyman

Why isnt their? I had a 22" CRT monitor what used to tear badly on certain 360 on games and I didnt blame the games. I dont get it it like that Andrew on the start of that level thats tearing well bad.

Lets face it m8 you go thru televisions more than I go thru bog rolls as your never happy with em :lol

Madman

andrewfee said:
I just find it amazing that people don't notice that sort of thing.

I'm running 720p on a CRT monitor so there's nothing in my setup that would cause the tearing.
Do you see "heavy" tearing past the demo chapter? The begining has the most, but it seems to drop off as time goes on. I didn't think the tearing was ever bad, a la Saint's Row.

AKS

andrewfee said:

I'm running 720p on a CRT monitor so there's nothing in my setup that would cause the tearing.

Uncharted looks great on my TV, which is a CRT that accepts 720p.

I honestly think you should invest in a high end PC if your driven batty by minor glitches (and supplement that with the appropriate medical and mental health treatment). Consoles aren't powerful enough for your tastes if Uncharted isn't visually impressive enough for you. It's the best looking game you can find on a console, so if it's not good enough for you, you should find something that makes you happy.

Dazzyman

Noooo dont do that it will make him worse, theirs plenty of PC games what tear sync'd or not. Maybe we should club together and buy him Gears of War for PC thats got some lovely tearing in it to keep any rabid analyst happy for months with videos and screen shots :lol

For me this has been the 2nd best game of the year after Mario Galaxy (I give that a special award though of game of the decade since Mario 64) and Im a multi format mass buyer of games. It has it all and the only niggle I had with it was it could have been longer but even thats a minor niggle. Never once had any issues with the acting, quality of graphics, control or sound.

I look forward to Bikini swimming controllable Elana in the sequel (although I think Victor is more in need of a bra aparatus :D ).

Jaeyden

Felix Lighter said:
It's definitely there but it is not bad at all especially compared to a game like Assassin's Creed or Mass Effect. When you watch the Making of Video you can really see how much they've minimized it though in the final product. In those videos of earlier builds the screen was constantly tearing, in the final version it only occasionally tears in certain situations, such as looking over a expansive vista for example. The problem is apparently some people are so sensitive to screen tearing that they can't stand even the most minor tearing issues.

That's me. I'm a WHORE about frame rates and tearing. Uncharted had virtually NONE when I played through it.

deepbrown

Jaeyden said:
That's me. I'm a WHORE about frame rates and tearing. Uncharted had virtually NONE when I played through it.
Correct. Heavenly Sword made me cringe a couple of times, as did Skate. But Uncharted...nah, never.

I say to anyone complaining about the minor tearing in Uncharted to become a game developer and produce a game - what decisions you would make would most likely align very strongly with ND's decisions.

I'm surprised Uncharted runs at all with so much going on - such high polycounts and high-res textures, HDR lighting and AA.

I waited too long before I played crushing. I'm terrible now and I can't get past chapter 4 :p I don't want to play on normal again just to git me groove back.

Kittonwy

Banned
BobTheFork said:
I waited too long before I played crushing. I'm terrible now and I can't get past chapter 4 :p I don't want to play on normal again just to git me groove back.

Keep at it, it doesn't take all that long to ramp up your skills again.
Indifferent2.gif

Sykra

Loudninja said:
Uncharted sold 206,000 copies in December total to 323,000 in the US so far.In the Uk , it sold over 100k.

Those numbers are not so good but atleast its going up in charts, not down, EU that is.

Dazzyman

No I said Bikini not swim suit Ive already unlocked that :D

I know what screen tearing is Andrew and how its caused with the frame buffer, where not on Digital hobby forum now so please dont start with that arrogant shit again with me :lol My CRT was old and didnt like the signal from VGA on 360 worked fine on PC and it worked fine later on when MS did a patch what fixed the tearing until then my VGA port couldnt handle the signal properly, their was plenty of panels had same problem for awhile with VGA on 360 what was fine via component.

For crushing just back off abit at the start till you get used to it and use alot of cover far away from them and do some nice aiming with the pistol (for headshots if you can) and duck straight back into cover after you do a couple of shots off (as you cant aim for long out of cover). Also watch your flanks and if their starting to make a move roll across to next pillar/rock as that has a habit of spooking em abit and they then run back instead of coming at you more.

Has anyone else had any problems with the sound cutting out at Chapter 18 (music fine but rest gone) just had a friend who had it happen to them on PAL version (I havent had it on PCM 7.1).

deepbrown

Loudninja said:
Uncharted sold 206,000 copies in December total to 323,000 in the US so far.In the Uk , it sold over 100k.
over 100k in the UK alone!? That's pretty hot. I'd say Europe is around 500-600k by itself (including UK)...bringing Uncharted close to that 1million mark.

Raist

Banned
deepbrown said:
over 100k in the UK alone!? That's pretty hot. I'd say Europe is around 500-600k by itself (including UK)...bringing Uncharted close to that 1million mark.

Dunno mate. It seems like it sells quite good in UK and France, but other than that, I've never seen it in germany or spain charts :/

spwolf

Raist said:
Dunno mate. It seems like it sells quite good in UK and France, but other than that, I've never seen it in germany or spain charts :/

it was top 3 ps3 game since it was released in all those markets...

wheres the link to 206k in December? Thats good stuff.

andrewfee said:
You didn't notice any? Not even the tearing right near the start of the game?

http://sr-388.net/videos/DSCF9040.MP4

Pan around the camera virtually anywhere on that level before you go inside and it'll tear badly.
Yeah we know you don't like the tearing I think you've mentioned that like every other page here.

BTW I saw that video of Resistance you took with tearing and that was Bull Shit I played that level and there was no tearing. I think it was the beginning of the last level...

http://sr-388.net/videos/DSCF8503.MP4 thats the one I found it in http://sr-388.net/videos

Maybe your ps3 is broken because I didn't get any tearing like that.

mysticstylez said:
Tearing is a gameplay feature in every ND game.
I never noticed any in Jak&Daxter or Crash WTF are you talking about?

Raist

Banned
spwolf said:
it was top 3 ps3 game since it was released in all those markets...

wheres the link to 206k in December? Thats good stuff.

I'm speaking about all formats charts, not platforms specific ones. AC sells way batter than UDF, and that's fucking sad IMHO.

mintylurb

andrewfee said:

There seems to be quite a bit of people who haven't encountered much tearing so maybe there's something with your setup that's causing excessive tearing..? Oh, there's some tearing for sure but it's no where as bad as you are making it out to be.

If you were half as diligent as nitpicking games for your platform of choice, then people would actually take your criticism of ps3 and its games at face value. But as it stands, your complaints against uncharted sound more like a bitter cry from a fanboy who can't seem to stand the fact that a ps3 game can look and play as well as uncharted does.

Raist

Banned
andrewfee said:
I'm not saying the tearing is excessive, but to say that it's "minor" or that there isn't any, is just wrong. And no, there's nothing in my setup causing the tearing, other than Uncharted itself. If my console was faulty, why is the Motorstorm demo fine? Why doesn't Super Stardust HD or BluRay discs tear if I set the system to 720p?

Maybe if more people acknowledged that Uncharted tears, or that it does actually get quite bad in places then ND might think about doing something about it for the next game. If people say it's fine, or that it doesn't happen, then maybe the next game will end up worse as they focus more on graphics than getting a solid framerate.

Dude, just accept the fact that some people DO NOT NOTICE IT. So maybe there are a few guys that saw tearing but will never admit it, but there surely are people that don't see it at all.
And as for Resistance, personnally I've never spotted tearing. I don't doubt there is, but it must be extremely minor. It isn't bad in Uncharted (as compared to AC for instance) and still I clearly saw it.

So yeah, basically you sound like you absolutely want people to see tearing. They don't see it, good for them. Ignorance can be a bliss, sometimes :p

Oh, and I don't think BR movies or SSDHD are good examples.

Madman

I've been playimjg through Resistance recently, and I did not see the tearing like that in the video you posted. Call me a defense force agent or whatever, but I did not see the tearing that was in your video. Are you sure there isn't an issue with your TV andrew?

dalin80

Banned
getting NO tearing in resistance or uncharted on my 22'' lcd at 720p, haven't seen anything at all like in those videos.

something else is wrong.

mintylurb

andrewfee said:
Yes, I'm dreadfully bitter that Uncharted is such a good game. So bitter that I decided to go through it three times and get all the achievements. :lol I hate the PS3 so much I decided to import one from USA months before it came out over here at my own expense.
Maybe because you had nothing else to play besides uncharted? Or it was cheaper to import due to strong euro? :lol :lol See, I can also do lols! :lol :lol :lol
I'm not saying the tearing is excessive..
Are you sure?

"It's got to be some of the worst I've seen so far, it's tearing constantly in pretty much every room/area you get to."
"720p, tears all the time."
And no, there's nothing in my setup causing the tearing, other than Uncharted itself. If my console was faulty, why is the Motorstorm demo fine? Why doesn't Super Stardust HD or BluRay discs tear if I set the system to 720p?
Hey, could it be that uncharted is taxing your system more than those aforementioned games and movies?
But what annoys me is that there are so many "defenders" for PS3 games. "Uncharted doesn't tear, Resistance doesn't tear" etc. I don't recall anyone denying that Mass Effect or other games like that have performance issues. That's what annoys me the most - that there are people that say _____ game is so good on PS3 and refuse to accept that it still has problems.
As opposed to people like you who will nitpick any flaws he or she finds in ps3 games? Only a blind fanboy would argue that uncharted or any game is flawless but there's a distinct difference between someone who doesn't notice tearing or someone who refuses to believe there's any tearing. The majority of people who have actually played uncharted says they notice some tearing but it's not a big issue for them and ultimately it doesn't really detract from enjoying uncharted. Now, why is that a big problem for you?

And You don't recall? It appears feigning ignorance whenever it's convenient for you seems to be your favorite pastime.

Let's put it this way, if tearing is as big a issue as you've been making it out to be in this very thread then you bet your ass that Eurogamer, 1up, egm, gamespot would've been more than happy to made a big stink about it in their reviews.

Top Bottom