• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
Concept17 said:
Yeah, hit up your local retail store, buy the full version, and do as you please. The demo does not do the game justice.

Ok, have the full game now but still can not find an option to remap the buttons. Anyone know if this is possible.

Dibbz

Finally unbaned and back to the metal bar handjob thread :D

Completed Uncharted on Crushing the other day, wow it was bloody tough. Got around about 800ish points so far and 46 or something treasures.

I've got to say i was severly dissapointed when I unlocked Elena. She's MASSIVE :( Ah well I'll have to stick with Eddy and Naughty Dog Drake :/

I'll take some pics to show the monstrosity in the morning. :(

Kittonwy

Banned
McBacon said:
Here's my interview with Evan Wells; some nice answers, but as my first ever interview I kind of botched up the questions and didn't exactly give Evan the chance to go into depth on anything...

Ah well, two things I've learnt about Games Journalism: Don't ask about unnanounced games, take notes at freaking press events...

http://www.britishgaming.co.uk/?p=2756

LOL, you'll probably have more luck asking someone like Lemarchand than getting Wells to let anything slip. They're probably already hard at work on Uncharted 2.
Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
Dibbz said:
Finally unbaned and back to the metal bar handjob thread :D

Completed Uncharted on Crushing the other day, wow it was bloody tough. Got around about 800ish points so far and 46 or something treasures.

I've got to say i was severly dissapointed when I unlocked Elena. She's MASSIVE :( Ah well I'll have to stick with Eddy and Naughty Dog Drake :/

I'll take some pics to show the monstrosity in the morning. :(

Welcome back, looking forward to those pics.
Indifferent2.gif

Lightning

Banned
You won't be hearing anything about Uncharted 2 for months on end. Forget about even asking about that. It's gonna happen, that's all Sony/ND are going to say until they are good and ready.

Kittonwy

Banned
Dante said:
To get the Crushing Medal, do you just have to beat the last chapter on Crushing, or every chapter in the game?

Every single chapter from start to finish, you have to earn it the old fashion way.
Indifferent2.gif

Hi There.

Could Someone Kindly tell me how to access the crushing difficulty setting in this game?
I finished it on Hard a while ago but when i started a new game there appeared to be no option to set the game on crushing.

Kittonwy

Banned
CurlySaysX said:
Hi There.

Could Someone Kindly tell me how to access the crushing difficulty setting in this game?
I finished it on Hard a while ago but when i started a new game there appeared to be no option to set the game on crushing.

Start new game on crushing instead of continue on your current save (you'll be asked if you want to carry over all your medals and treasures, choose yes).

Shepherd said:
Ok, have the full game now but still can not find an option to remap the buttons. Anyone know if this is possible.

Hey man unfortunately I dont think you can remap any of the buttons but hang in with the game you will get used to it.

deepbrown

Lightning said:
You won't be hearing anything about Uncharted 2 for months on end. Forget about even asking about that. It's gonna happen, that's all Sony/ND are going to say until they are good and ready.
I wouldnt be certain of that.

ROFL

Hail Britannia
McBacon said:
Here's my interview with Evan Wells; some nice answers, but as my first ever interview I kind of botched up the questions and didn't exactly give Evan the chance to go into depth on anything...

Ah well, two things I've learnt about Games Journalism: Don't ask about unnanounced games, take notes at freaking press events...

http://www.britishgaming.co.uk/?p=2756

No more podcasts from you lot?

Banned
Marconelly said:
Exaggerated death animations like those flips were put intentionally in the game as part of it's pulp roots, much like tons of others exaggerated enemy animations that were complete cheese but looked awesome (like running sliding into the cover on their knees etc). I know I didn't ignore those, but I rather enjoyed them, and so did many others :p
Perhaps I shouldn't have said "flips." I know that there are exaggerated physics, but what I'm talking about is the instant a shot connects, the body basically inverts right away without any real transition, it's just suddenly upside down.

Keeps happening too. :lol

j-wood said:
I'm curious, for those who notice tearing often, what resolution are you playing the game at?

I really think that issues like this, and reviews of games, need to take resolution into consideration. It's much like playing PC now...i have seen cases where resolution affects how much screen tearing goes on.

Personally, I played uncharted at 720p and noticed screen tearing maybe twice, if that.
720p, tears all the time.

IJoel said:
I completed the game the other day and really liked it. The graphics are superb, and some of the best, and the environments are, at times, jaw dropping. My complaints would be:

1. Length felt way too short
2. Lack of challenging puzzles
3. Game was skewed more towards action, than platforming... but I loved the exploration and platforming more... needs more platforming/acrobatics
4. I HATE THE DS3 CONTROLLER FOR PRECISION AIMING (this almost ruined the game for me)

Definitely the best PS3 game this year and a pretty good game overall.
What difficulty were you playing on? ~9 hours seemed fairly good for something that has a lot of replayability in it.

I hated the Sixaxis for aiming until Uncharted - they've got it set up just right in my opinion. (well, it's taking a little getting used to with my new DS3, as the sticks are quite a bit tighter)

I reckon I'm going to have to play through the game a 3rd time - I just get caught up in the action and forget to go treasure hunting. :lol (playing on Crushing, about 1/2-2/3 through now)

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
ROFL said:
No more podcasts from you lot?

Woah, Rolf the Ranting Ranter Mohr listened to BGB shout?

Thanks, but unfortuantly it was just a lot of work and I don't think we were too happy with the outcome. Opened our eyes to how devs like Insomniac can do all the stuff necessary for an hour or so podcast, and make a freaking game!

Thanks again, maybe one day :p

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Help me GAF, I'm stuck at the start of Chapter 15 "On The Trail Of The Treasure".
The start of the chapter, you jump up and across on a ledge and then onto a vine where you are supposed to wall run and then jump to the far ledge.
My problem is the ledge in trying to get to, is very far away. The distance from ledge I want to get to is 3 times the distance of vine to first ledge.

I've tried all vine holding lengths but always jump way short.

navanman said:
Help me GAF, I'm stuck at the start of Chapter 15 "On The Trail Of The Treasure".
The start of the chapter, you jump up and across on a ledge and then onto a vine where you are supposed to wall run and then jump to the far ledge.
My problem is the ledge in trying to get to, is very far away. The distance from ledge I want to get to is 3 times the distance of vine to first ledge.

I've tried all vine holding lengths but always jump way short.

You shouldn't jump on to that vine at all. From where you would normally jump onto that vine shimmy around the corner a bit and jump to the other side.

ROFL

Hail Britannia
McBacon said:
Woah, Rolf the Ranting Ranter Mohr listened to BGB shout?

Thanks, but unfortuantly it was just a lot of work and I don't think we were too happy with the outcome. Opened our eyes to how devs like Insomniac can do all the stuff necessary for an hour or so podcast, and make a freaking game!

Thanks again, maybe one day :p

Ah, pity... I learned that I'm an initialism.

Diablos

Amazing game. Just finished it this morning before work. I am really impressed with how everything gels together so well.

The gameplay is near flawless. Rarely will I play a game from start to finish with no complaints. Honestly, the only thing I hated was the controller motion you had to do to get those monsters off of you, but it didn't take much away since you barely had to do it.

I'd have to say this and Dead Rising are tied for best games of this gen so far, with Blue Dragon at a close second.

Dibbz

Damn it I left my camera in my car so no pics just yet :/

BTw does anyone know how to get those codes needed to unlock the "????" character under the Hero's rewards section? Can you find the codes out in the game or do I have to resort to gamefaqs? :/

Synless

lol, your better off just looking them up on gamefaqs. I forgot they need to be put in the code that needs to be unlocked

Riddick

I'm at 850 medal points and I'm playing it on crushing now. It royally sucks that you can't use the rewards like guns and slow motion on crushing though. The game has become VERY difficult.

Dibbz

Synless said:
lol, your better off just looking them up on gamefaqs. I forgot they need to be put in the code that needs to be unlocked
Damn it, I still need about 16 or so treasures, so I guess I'll need a guide. :/

BTW does anyone know what those poles with flags and skulls on them are? I can't explain what the look like to well, but I've spotted a few of them in the game and Drake looks at one when you press L2 in the 3rd chapter I think. Once I get my camera I'll take a picture to show you what I'm on about.

Dibbz

100% Complete!! Tons of Pic Incomming!

2197578463_277e54b9df_o.jpg

2197578467_8f667e3c72_o.jpg

Took pictures of all the models you unlock! Pucker up GAF, I'm comming in hard!

2197578469_09123c2f02_o.jpg

2197578475_84cea2a42b_o.jpg

2197578477_d436b94d99_o.jpg

2197578483_6a338489ba_o.jpg

2198388086_93ff1abd07_o.jpg

2198388092_61bf20906d_o.jpg

2198388098_674ae753b8_o.jpg

2198388100_8ae39c753d_o.jpg

2198388108_9f8a468de2_o.jpg

2198388114_ce91990ff2_o.jpg

2198402666_6253571bab_o.jpg

2198402672_0cfda07ee7_o.jpg

Bring on Uncharted 2 :D

deepbrown

Look what I found :D

Ripten’s Uncharted Interview Tease: “The Machine is a Beast”

http://www.ripten.com/2008/01/16/ripten’s-uncharted-interview-tease-“the-machine-is-a-beast”/

Are the in-game models any different from the cutscene models?

Richard: Thanks! Nope, the in game models are the exact same models that are used in the cutscenes. They also use the exact same textures. There really is no difference between them at all.

The only difference between the cutscenes and in game is a little higher quality lighting and shadowing. Hopefully not too noticeably different. We really wanted to keep the players immersed as much as possible. This meant using the same assets across the board.

I'm certain this interview is going to be epic and will deserve it's own thread.

Finally finished it for the first time.

11 hours and 23 Minutes
50 Treasures
660 Medal Points.
Hard Difficulty.

This game is just... awesome, almost perfect.

It's now somewhere in my Top 5 of all time. There was just once instance where the game felt a bit... cheap, in the
German base
, for some reason the game looked a bit ugly and out of place in that area, and I don't mean it just cause of the
monsters in a German base

I'm off to play it in Crushing and see if I can find the remaining 11 treasures, although I have no idea where they'll be cause I've looked pretty much everywhere already.

nextwish

I just finished the game for the first time, I absolutely LOVED it. I have to admit when I first started I didn't enjoy the gunplay at all, but I think David Jaffe said it well in his video diary - once I mastered it, I got hooked with the shooting and cover mechanics.

It's been said about a million times already, but this game deserves to sell SO much more. I'm almost tempted to go out and buy another copy just to support ND. Also, did anyone else notice when watching the Behind the Scenes clip for the Jailbreak motion capture, the actress who plays Elena, says "You're not going to find the Ark of the Covenant in there", instead of the final line in the game where she says "El Dorado" instead?

Wonder if they put that in the actors script's just so they would leak anything about the game before the release.

Also sorry, if this has been asked before, but can someone explain the Handjob part of the thread title? I don't get

Synless

I finally finished the game last night so I can now voice my opinions.

It is, by far, the best exclusive PS3 game available. Totally fantastic and enjoyable from beginning to end. Highly recommended to Triple owners.

Positives -

+ Great graphics
+ Fantastic music
+ Great VO work
+ Fantastic writing (for a game)
+ Good gameplay mechanics (shooting, platforming)
+ Great control
+ Perfect length for a game of this type, IMO
+ In most cases, does not "punish" the player too severely for failure. I very rarely, if ever, had to play long sections over because I died or fell. I know opinions differ on this but I hate repetition
+ Great "Achievements" and unlockables.

Negatives -

- Enemies sometimes take way too many shots to kill
- Enemies sometimes dance around like they have ants in their pants when getting shot. It looks ridiculous
- Hit detection is rarely but occasionally wonky (i.e. "I KNOW I hit that guy in the head")
- Sometimes, in the quest for finding the treasures, there are places it looks like you can jump to and explore, but unfortunately there are invisible walls there, and therefore Nate doesn't do a full jump when you hit the button, and you die and have to restart from the last checkpoint.
- Could really do without the Sixaxis controls in this game (Balancing, shaking off certain enemies). I didn't see a way to turn them off. Should be a requirement on all PS3 games.
-
Enjoyed fighting the enemies til I got to the "Attack of the Killer Gollums" sections. This is Uncharted's equivalent to Halo's "flood" if you will. A new type of enemy that's simply not as fun to fight as the regular, more intelligent enemies.

All in all, I loved it, but I don't see myself going through it a second time as I have a huge backlog on other systems. I might trade it in for a secondhand Warhawk, though. Would it be okay to buy a second-hand Disc version of Warhawk or is it keyed or something?

michaeld

Banned
OK I played the demo and at the start after you get above the first waterfall, it makes you hit L2 and the camera zooms in on something in the trees, what is that? I tried shooting it and other things but nothing happened.

michaeld said:
OK I played the demo and at the start after you get above the first waterfall, it makes you hit L2 and the camera zooms in on something in the trees, what is that? I tried shooting it and other things but nothing happened.

The skulls? I think it's just to let you know the island isn't inhabited. You can't really do anything to it.

andycapps

Dr. Zoidberg said:
Enjoyed fighting the enemies til I got to the "Attack of the Killer Gollums" sections. This is Uncharted's equivalent to Halo's "flood" if you will. A new type of enemy that's simply not as fun to fight as the regular, more intelligent enemies.

This whole thing is really a spoiler for those that haven't played the game, so read at your own risk.
I guess I could see how some people might not like that, but I enjoyed it for the wrench that it threw into the way that you played the game. You basically had to forget about how to play the first part and run for your life as you're gunning. I died quite a few times against the monsters. My main complaint in this area was just that it was so dark it got pretty hard to see the next wheel to turn or figure out where to go. Also, I hated the pits in that one room that as you're running away from the monsters that if you weren't watching where you were going you'd die and have to restart that part. Had to do that probably 3-4 times at least.

Synless said:
This is going to be a pain in the ass to figure out which one I didn't get, :lol damn do you get anything extra special for it?? It says I have all medal points and everything.
Well the treasures are saved in the order you get them (from bottom to top) in the game, so it should be pretty easy since they're numbered and named on that page.

andycapps said:
This whole thing is really a spoiler for those that haven't played the game, so read at your own risk.

In a game about cover and precision shooting, I did not like the transition to high tension, "they're rushing you! Run!!" gameplay. Plus, I feel that the third person camera and controls are not conducive to this. It's just like Gears in the way it falls apart at real close range. The gollums would run up at me and I'd try to go into aim mode and they'd run around and I couldn't follow them fast enough or the aim mode would be looking in the wrong direction, etc. Then the smeagols would jump on you and sometimes, even though I'd shake the shit out of that controller they'd kill me. One hit deaths like this are cheap. I could've done without the whole thing, but I didn't hate it and it didn't ruin the game or anything. I never tried punching them, does that work?

Dr. Zoidberg said:
In a game about cover and precision shooting, I did not like the transition to high tension, "they're rushing you! Run!!" gameplay. Plus, I feel that the third person camera and controls are not conducive to this. It's just like Gears in the way it falls apart at real close range. The gollums would run up at me and I'd try to go into aim mode and they'd run around and I couldn't follow them fast enough or the aim mode would be looking in the wrong direction, etc. Then the smeagols would jump on you and sometimes, even though I'd shake the shit out of that controller they'd kill me. One hit deaths like this are cheap. I could've done without the whole thing, but I didn't hate it and it didn't ruin the game or anything. I never tried punching them, does that work?

You shouldn't be using aim mode when they're up close, just fire from the hip, it works wonders. Infact I think they improve the auto aim
for the monsters
. They also improved it for the second jetski level. Stop and shoot my ass :p

I think they did that on purpose so you would feel and play like
you were in real trouble and afraid.

Banned
Finally got back to playing this, finished my Crushing game now, took ~7 hours. :D

Now for the last 7 treasures I've missed. (got a bit caught up in the action on Crushing later on, so I'm sure they're probably quite obvious) Plenty of time to get that done before DMC4 is out.

Dyno

Regarding precision shooting and shooting from the hip.

Like most people the first time I played through the game I was aiming and shooting everything. Only toward the end of the game did I realise that running and gunning was equally effective in certain situations. The second time I played through I utilized the hip shooting mechanic a whole lot more and it made some fights not only easier but more action-packed and quick. Besides, how else do you think I got the Steel Fist rewards?

The game is made so bloodly well that there are two separate shooting mechanics that are both highly polished and fun.

Can't say enough about this game. I'll definately go through the game a third time on Crushing.

Synless

Loudninja said:
Synless all you have to do is look at the FAQ and look at your list to see what you miss
Yea, I did that. It took a few minutes but I narrowed it down pretty good. Well now I am 100% :D :D

Top Bottom