• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

The tearing wasn't much of an issue for me past the beginning of the game. And even then, it wasn't a big deal.

I didn't realize until halfway through that my center channel on my system was unplugged. The game sounded so much better afterwards. :lol

My only real complaints with the game are that I wish more things were interactive (like Bioshock), I wish there were more secrets (secret paths, destructable environments, etc) when locating treasures, and I wish the platforming was more consistent. There are times when a jump looks possible, but Nate does a little pansy hop and falls to his death and there are others where I'm scared to jump from an edge to another because it looks too far, yet it's the right jump to make.

All in all the game was a really fun adventure and I look forward to going through and getting 1000/1000. I kind of want to hold off on replaying until I get a DS3 though, because I imagine the game will be a much more awesome experience with rumble.

The length and pacing were perfect for me. I rarely finish games, but I go through this one in a week and I enjoyed every minute of it.

I haven't followed news on the game at all...is there a planned sequel?

Ajax

Banned
andrewfee said:
Yes, I'm dreadfully bitter that Uncharted is such a good game. So bitter that I decided to go through it three times and get all the achievements. :lol I hate the PS3 so much I decided to import one from USA months before it came out over here at my own expense.

I'm not saying the tearing is excessive, but to say that it's "minor" or that there isn't any, is just wrong. And no, there's nothing in my setup causing the tearing, other than Uncharted itself. If my console was faulty, why is the Motorstorm demo fine? Why doesn't Super Stardust HD or BluRay discs tear if I set the system to 720p?

And for what it's worth, I gave Mass Effect a lot of shit for it too, and other games on the 360. That was ridiculously bad, and headache-inducing at times. Tearing is unacceptable, it doesn't matter what the platform is. But what annoys me is that there are so many "defenders" for PS3 games. "Uncharted doesn't tear, Resistance doesn't tear" etc. I don't recall anyone denying that Mass Effect or other games like that have performance issues. That's what annoys me the most - that there are people that say _____ game is so good on PS3 and refuse to accept that it still has problems.

I've actually seen people on here recommending that someone buy a PS3 "because it needs sales" and they're being completely serious about it. :lol I'm not saying that these are bad games, or that they have serious problems, but that doesn't mean we should just act like the problems they do have don't exist. It's that kind of PS3 owner mentality that annoys me, not the system itself. Frankly, I hate the 360 hardware and Microsoft's overly restrictive DRM and would rather be playing everything on the PS3. Unfortunately virtually every multi-platform release has been better on 360 so far though.

Maybe if more people acknowledged that Uncharted tears, or that it does actually get quite bad in places then ND might think about doing something about it for the next game. If people say it's fine, or that it doesn't happen, then maybe the next game will end up worse as they focus more on graphics than getting a solid framerate.

It's because of Xbox fanboys like you that I'll never admit I'm an Xbox fan although I love my 360. I don't know why this has happened but 360 has gathered some of the worst bitter fanboys as fans the kind of losers that will troll a thread for page after page without giving up for an issue so minor that most people don't even notice it.

It's not the tearing that annoys you it's the fact that Uncharted is a PS3 exlusive. I'm sick of reading of your bullshit, I had a great time reading this thread before your trolling ass came here.

Ajax

Banned
andrewfee said:
Do you remember people defending Mass Effect saying that it doesn't have tearing / framerate problems? I sure as hell don't.

That's because Mass Effect has ten times more framerate problems compared to Uncharted you annoying kid. Framerate and tearing problems that are very visible to everyone not just trolls with their fanboy goggles on. Uncharted tearing is non-existant compared to Mass Effect's and I've finished both games.

Core407

Banned
Ajax said:
That's because Mass Effect has ten times more framerate problems compared to Uncharted you annoying kid. Framerate and tearing problems that are very visible to everyone not just trolls with their fanboy goggles on. Uncharted tearing is non-existant compared to Mass Effect's and I've finished both games.

Uncharted has its share of tearing. Saying otherwise would be a damn lie.

Ajax

Banned
Core407 said:

Yes it has some minor tearing that many gamers don't even notice in most parts of the game. But the fanboy is comparing ME's tearing with Uncharted's and anyone who has played both games knows that it's a massively unfair comparison.

mintylurb

andrewfee said:
When I say worst, I mean worst on PS3 that I've seen so far, not worst in general.
Oh, how convenient!
It's nothing to do with the PS3. If everyone says that the tearing is "fine" , "not that bad" etc, then we're going to see more and more games where developers just focus on graphics regardless of how it might affect the framerate.

We've already seen a shift from 60fps to 30fps being standard and now there are more and more people that are happy with sub-30fps games.
Eh? you make it sound like 60fps was the norm in previous generations which was hardly the case. Besides, considering the current gen consoles' limitation, we know there'll be compromises to make the games looking like next-gen while trying to run at a decent frame rate. For most developers, it appears enabling vsync to eliminate/minimize tearing isn't worth the trade off. If consistent 60fps games are what you really want then console gaming just isn't for you.
Do you remember people defending Mass Effect saying that it doesn't have tearing / framerate problems? I sure as hell don't.

There was plenty of "it's not that bad" or "doesn't affect me" posts like there are here though.
I don't notice tearing = It doesn't have any tearing? Does not compute.

So, have you been posting your rebuttal with screen shots/video footages of screen tearing whenever someone mentioned he or she doesn't notice tearing in the ME or other 360 games thread like you've been doing in this thread? And you're comparing uncharted tearing to ME tearing. Jeebus..

Seriously, let those who don't notice tearing enjoy the game. Most people here aren't saying the game doesn't have any tearing issue but they are saying the tearing doesn't take away from the game..you know like how people have been enjoying ME despite some tearing issue. Hey guess what, I'll go play some uncharted and warhawk both of which feature massive tearing! But, heck they are still fun!

JJN

I loved this game, absolutely loved it and was engrossed in it the whole way through. But the tearing consistently bothered me throughout... in a heartbeat I would've given up some of the more "flair" type graphic effects to improve the tearing

Damn, I didn't realize the tearing bothered people so much. It was obvious, but it felt so insignificant that I really didn't care.

Framerate issues are something that really bother me along with loading times. I didn't notice much of either in Uncharted so maybe that's why the slight, yet obvious, tearing didn't matter whatsoever for me.

i'm loving the game so far (ch 11), but i'm bothered by the gunplay. An auto-aim or something would help.

I hate that there are like 800 pirates on this island. wtf? needs more platforming. much more platforming.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
90% Off topic but I just got component cables for my ps3 and its set on 1080i. when i try to start up certain games (uncharted, rfom, motorstorm) the screen just goes black.

When i checked the settings i checked all of them except 1080p should I uncheck 1080i when im trying to play a 720p game?

Uncharted wont play for me :(

Raist

Banned
FootNinja said:
90% Off topic but I just got component cables for my ps3 and its set on 1080i. when i try to start up certain games (uncharted, rfom, motorstorm) the screen just goes black.

When i checked the settings i checked all of them except 1080p should I uncheck 1080i when im trying to play a 720p game?

Uncharted wont play for me :(

RFoM and motorstorm don't support 1080i. Uncharted does tho, so it should work. But you'd better set it to 720 only. Most of the games play better on that resolution.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Raist said:
RFoM and motorstorm don't support 1080i. Uncharted does tho, so it should work. But you'd better set it to 720 only. Most of the games play better on that resolution.
Box says 720p and it wont play but i'll take your advice. ty

Edit- My tv goes black when i take it off of 1080i ><

Maybe it plays 1080i but not 720p? that seems stupid and does this mean i cant play uncharted in HD :\

Guy LeDouche said:
i'm loving the game so far (ch 11), but i'm bothered by the gunplay. An auto-aim or something would help.

I hate that there are like 800 pirates on this island. wtf? needs more platforming. much more platforming.

Yeah, I didn't like how there were so many of the same kind of enemies and hated how they always seemed to be 1 step ahead even though they were supposedly following your trail.

I agree on needing more platforming. The small amount that was there was really fun. Hopefully the sequel will have a lot more. My hype meter is way up though, considering the first game in the series was so awesome.

J-Rzez

Core407 said:

It does, but no where near as bad as this guy is harping on it about. This isn't an opinion matter, it's a fact that the tearing isn't nearly as bad as he's saying it is, and it's rarely offensive. He's saying it has some of the worst tearing ever in a game, and it's not so.

Andrewfee should take up gardening.

Loudninja

J-Rzez said:
It does, but no where near as bad as this guy is harping on it about. This isn't an opinion matter, it's a fact that the tearing isn't nearly as bad as he's saying it is, and it's rarely offensive. He's saying it has some of the worst tearing ever in a game, and it's not so.

Andrewfee should take up gardening.

Naw, its too much tearing in his garden

Forgotten Ancient said:
Yeah, I didn't like how there were so many of the same kind of enemies and hated how they always seemed to be 1 step ahead even though they were supposedly following your trail.
That, and there's only 5-6 different models for the pirates (at least so far). I was in one gunfight where there were 4 of the big fat shirtless guys with shotguns. They were all next to each other and its the same model.

Annoying.

Speaking of "one step ahead" I just got to a part where Drake finds something important (that apparently no one else knew about) but then around the corner there's more pirates. Well, the only way up to where they were was the same way I was coming up, so they had to have passed the same spot where I found the thing and ARGH

I'm thinking too much, I guess.

Raist

Banned
FootNinja said:
Box says 720p and it wont play but i'll take your advice. ty

Edit- My tv goes black when i take it off of 1080i ><

Maybe it plays 1080i but not 720p? that seems stupid and does this mean i cant play uncharted in HD :\

Wait. What's your TV ? Is it an old HDTV ? Sounds like it doesn't support 720p.

Raist

Banned
FootNinja said:
Yea im pretty sure its old and if it doesnt support 720p am i fcked? :\

For Motorstorm and RFoM... yes :/

For Uncharted, check 1080i ONLY. Because as soon as you check 720p, since it's the game's native resolution, it will pick this one no matter what you've checked. You can force 1080i by unchecking everything else.

Sykra said:
Those numbers are not so good but atleast its going up in charts, not down, EU that is.
those are actually quite decent numbers for a 1st party debut title. i dont recall God of War 1 or Ico/SoTC selling gangbusters in their first retail months either

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Raist said:
For Motorstorm and RFoM... yes :/

For Uncharted, check 1080i ONLY. Because as soon as you check 720p, since it's the game's native resolution, it will pick this one no matter what you've checked. You can force 1080i by unchecking everything else.
Yea, it worked. Thx :(

angelfly

I picked it up a few days ago. Really amazing finished it on both normal and hard. I've gotten all the medals except for the last one. Trying to work my way through crushing but it's painful.

andycapps

Guy LeDouche said:
That, and there's only 5-6 different models for the pirates (at least so far). I was in one gunfight where there were 4 of the big fat shirtless guys with shotguns. They were all next to each other and its the same model.

Annoying.

Speaking of "one step ahead" I just got to a part where Drake finds something important (that apparently no one else knew about) but then around the corner there's more pirates. Well, the only way up to where they were was the same way I was coming up, so they had to have passed the same spot where I found the thing and ARGH

I'm thinking too much, I guess.

Yes you're thinking about it too much. This is like an Indiana Jones/National Treasure type movie.

mintylurb

andrewfee said:
16-bit was pretty much all 60fps wasn't it? I skipped the 32/64-bit generation as the framerates were so bad and got into PC gaming. It wasn't until the Dreamcast that I got back into console gaming.
Back then, I don't think most of us even cared about any game hitting 60fps as long as the games were fun.

I'm not expecting it to look as it does now and run at 60fps, but I think it's ridiculous that with hardware this powerful, developers can't restrain themselves enough to hit a bare minimum of 30fps when 60 should be what they're aiming for.
I really don't mind games running at 30fps, except for racing games, and dipping below that occasionally as long as the game provides enough visual omph, story, good game play, nice character designs.
There have been people that said it simply doesn't tear, not that they don't notice it. And if you read my post, I said:

"You didn't notice any? Not even the tearing right near the start of the game?"

because I find it amazing that people apparently don't notice the whole screen rippling like that.
I know it's hard to fathom how people can be so oblivious to something so obvious but believe me, some people really can't see tearing and sometimes I wish I were them.
I'm not comparing Uncharted to Mass Effect for tearing. I've already said multiple times that it's nowhere near that bad. What I said was that I've complained about Mass Effect and other 360 titles that have tearing too.

Mass Effect was bad to the point of being nearly unplayable in places. Uncharted is nothing like that bad, but it still tears a lot.
Is that so?..Hmm..looking at your posts in the official ME thread, I'm not exactly spotting posts where you provide evidence of tearing(pics/videos) to those who said they don't notice tearing or doesn't bother them..It's quite a contrast to your posts in this thread.

Anyway, kudos to you for playing through the game 3 times! Hopefully, that means people can focus less on tearing and more on game play, sequels, etc.

SpokkX

Completed the game a second time (on hard now) and I absolutely love it.

One of the best games last year and imo an instant classic. Heres hoping for sequels, the charaters and game mechanics just scream for more.

This got me interested in Amy Hennigs older games. How is Jak 3? I kind of liked Jak 1 but Jak 2 felt a bit disjointed and I gave up after a bit.

deepbrown

andrewfee said:
16-bit was pretty much all 60fps wasn't it? I skipped the 32/64-bit generation as the framerates were so bad and got into PC gaming. It wasn't until the Dreamcast that I got back into console gaming.

I'm not expecting it to look as it does now and run at 60fps, but I think it's ridiculous that with hardware this powerful, developers can't restrain themselves enough to hit a bare minimum of 30fps when 60 should be what they're aiming for.

There have been people that said it simply doesn't tear, not that they don't notice it. And if you read my post, I said:

"You didn't notice any? Not even the tearing right near the start of the game?"

because I find it amazing that people apparently don't notice the whole screen rippling like that.

I'm not comparing Uncharted to Mass Effect for tearing. I've already said multiple times that it's nowhere near that bad. What I said was that I've complained about Mass Effect and other 360 titles that have tearing too.

Mass Effect was bad to the point of being nearly unplayable in places. Uncharted is nothing like that bad, but it still tears a lot.

You need to get a life, seriously. Why do you feel the need to make people see what you do?

Ajax

Banned
andrewfee said:
Everyone agreed Mass Effect had horrific tearing, there was no need.

For what it's worth, it does look like that really bad tearing at the start of Chapter 2 was probably caused by having the brightness setting turned up. It was still turned up after playing the later sections of the game, but this time I reset it to the defaults before loading it up and it wasn't nearly as bad.

Oh there was no need to say it in the ME thread, calm down guys he's not biased. :lol

But there's a need to troll and spam the Uncharted thread by repeating the same bullshit page after page. You're so fucking pathetic it's not even funny.

ambalek

I only noticed the talk about the US getting 1080i this week. Seems like the sort of thing that could be patched seeing as Naughty Dog said the EU copy's 1080i was left out due to the possibility of additional localised QA testing delaying the game.

I finished it on Crushing this weekend. I almost gave up three times but found every difficult section has an easy way to do it if you take it one step at a time.

After finishing it (for the third time now) I still haven't found all the treasures, probably time to get a walkthrough out and own it one more time!

Dazzyman

Just read that Nolan North is doing a load of voices for MGS 4 (I thought Id recognised his voice from EQ2 as well). I still cant get over the quality of em all in Uncharted they all just work so naturally right from the off (love that bit when she replies something like yea just like a camera point and shoot and he replies good girl or something) and Im so glad I bought a Onkyo 605 last year as the 7.1 on this puppy is amazing great music as well. Plenty of times Ive had people walk in and say what film are you watching when Ive been playing it.

AKS

FootNinja said:
Yea im pretty sure its old and if it doesnt support 720p am i fcked? :\

No, it does both. ND added 1080i support in response to requests on the Playstation blog. Ratchet does both, too. No worries. Insomniac and Naughty Dog are now aware of this issue. You are not likely to have this problem with games from either developer again.

AKS

andrewfee said:

The time has come for you to return to PC gaming. Buy your $5000 gaming rig and stop flooding otherwise interesting threads with your endless whining. The people who aren't constantly bitching about the minor tearing here and there are the ones with enough common sense to realise that it's unreasonable to expect a $400 console to perform like a Crysis-taming PC. They are not singularly fixated on irritating everyone else and understand that there will be compromises to be made when a developer like ND dares to push the envelope and redefine console graphical standards. Just go buy your high end PC and play Pac-man at 240 fps with no tearing and quit polluting this thread with your nonsense. You've made your position known. Enough already!

andrewfee said:
Sorry, but I don't see how anyone can say that a game that tears in almost every area (especially if you're in combat and getting hit) has "minor" tearing and I'm amazed that it isn't blatantly obvious to everyone. Now, I'll agree if you say that most of the time, the framerate drops causing the tearing aren't that bad, but the tearing itself happens all the time.

http://sr-388.net/videos/minor-tearing.MP4

Aren't you the same guy that brought up the "tearing" in Resistance when basically no one else ever noticed it? So yeah i'd say this bothers you a lot more than nearly anyone else and its not impossible that for most people it is minor tearing. I know it has never bothered me in the game.

andrewfee said:
Resistance wasn't that bad for tearing, but people were denying that it happened at all there. It was a launch game though, so you can forgive them for that. (it just annoyed me that people said it didn't happen at all)

They denied it because they never noticed it. Its not like people are denying that Uncharted has tearing here because it does, in the case of Resistance it seems like you have to look for it to see it and for most people they'll never notice it.

I'm a bit late in my input here but I really liked the game. It one of the few games that I have reviewed where I couldn't put it down untill I finished it.

Loudninja

This is for this week
PlayStation 3
North America: 1. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Activision), 2. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (SCEA), 3. Assassin's Creed (Ubisoft), 4. Rock Band Special Edition (EA Games), 5. Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (SCEA).

Japan: 1. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Activision), 2. Uncharted: El Dorado no Hihou (SCEI), 3. Armored Core 4 -- The Best Collection (From Software), 4. Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (SCEI), 5. Shin Sangoku Musou 5 (Koei).

UK: 1. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Activision), 2. Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (Konami), 3. Assassin's Creed (Ubisoft), 4. Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction (SCEE), 5. FIFA 08 (EA Sports).

A sudden jump in sales brings Uncharted: Drake's Fortune to a second-place finish among North American PlayStation 3 software this week. Demand remains steady for Assassin's Creed and Rock Band, as Ratchet & Clank Future crawls back into the top five after a short absence. Japan's chart also sees a burst of activity for Uncharted, while a revival of interest for Armored Core 4 continues, thanks to a recent budget rerelease.

Edit:Eww, they use amazon

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/column_index.php?story=8803

AKS

Pristine_Condition said:
Geeze, this is one of the dumbest things I've ever read on GAF. The 16-Bit era was rife with games with framerate slowdowns.

Slowdown was practically the norm. A game was considered very impressive if it minimized significant framerate drops.

cyclone87

andrewfee said:
You didn't notice any? Not even the tearing right near the start of the game?

http://sr-388.net/videos/DSCF9040.MP4

Pan around the camera virtually anywhere on that level before you go inside and it'll tear badly.

Ok thanks now I see what you mean, though to be honest if that's as bad as it gets then it must be so insignificant throughout the entire game it's no wonder I didn't notice, and now that I have it's something that doesn't bother me anyway.

SolidSnakex said:
Aren't you the same guy that brought up the "tearing" in Resistance when basically no one else ever noticed it? So yeah i'd say this bothers you a lot more than nearly anyone else and its not impossible that for most people it is minor tearing. I know it has never bothered me in the game.

I noticed tearing in one room. Pretty impressive for a game that's 15-20 hours long. It was strange too as there was nothing happening in that room. Apart from that Resistance is incredibly rocked solid.

Top Bottom