• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
I gotta say I do notice my fair share of tearing in this game and I am running on 720p with HDMI cables. I have on my Ps3 just the 1080p and the 720p and when I check my T.V to see where its at on the game it says 720p so yeah. But maybe the reason for my tearing is that I am moving the camera often to check for enemies a lot and I mean a lot don't like them to catch me off guard. :D

sinnergy

The game has tearing, fact.
What I do find funny is Sony fanboys saying it doesn't and The other fanboys be it Nintendo or Xbox saying it does a lot.

I played the game a lot and screen tearing is in the game all most all the time. It doesn't bother me, Mass Effect has more imo.

Darkpen

Banned
sinnergy said:
What I do find funny is Sony fanboys saying it doesn't and The other fanboys be it Nintendo or Xbox saying it does a lot.

I played the game a lot and screen tearing is in the game all most all the time. It doesn't bother me, Mass Effect has more imo.
I don't think its really a fanboy issue. I love my PS3, I loved uncharted, but of course I go "oh, look, shaders and textures loading.... pop pop pop.... pop" and "weeee, screen tearing..."

:|

So really, big deal if there is screen tearing. Let me just say that I'll be shocked and amazed when something like MGS4 has zero screen tearing, nor loading problems.

sinnergy said:

I dunno its false to say it has a lot...Have you played AC? Thats a whole different level of tearing...

schism

I am usually really sensitive to screen tearing, but I haven't noticed it at all in Uncharted. I am nearing the end of the single player now and have loved this game, can't wait for the sequel, hopefully with some kind of online co op.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
sinnergy said:

Sure there's screen tearing, but IMO it's still one of the best games to come out in the past couple years. I'll agree that the screen tearing put a damper on what it is the best looking console game to date. I wish they had fixed it, but at the same time the game looks so beautiful that I'd hate to see it get a huge downgrade to fix the tearing. We don't know how much/what they would have had to take out of the game to fix the tearing. I'm sure that if they had more time they could have gotten rid of it and kept everything in. The fact is they didn't have more time, and Sony absolutely needed Uncharted to be out when it came out.

drakesfortune said:
Sure there's screen tearing, but IMO it's still one of the best games to come out in the past couple years. I'll agree that the screen tearing put a damper on what it is the best looking console game to date. I wish they had fixed it, but at the same time the game looks so beautiful that I'd hate to see it get a huge downgrade to fix the tearing. We don't know how much/what they would have had to take out of the game to fix the tearing. I'm sure that if they had more time they could have gotten rid of it and kept everything in. The fact is they didn't have more time, and Sony absolutely needed Uncharted to be out when it came out.

Yep, development just takes more time this gen along with it taking longer to actually a handle on the system. What Insomniac has done should be a good clue of what to expect from future games from ND. They improved greatly from Resistance to Ratchet and it looks like there's going to be just as big of an improvement with R2.

mintylurb

andrewfee said:
Just because other games are worse, doesn't mean that Uncharted's tearing isn't bad. It's just not as ridiculously bad as something like Mass Effect that has significant framerate issues along with the tearing.

http://sr-388.net/videos/minor-tearing.MP4
jeebus, you're still at it..

andrewfee said:
Everyone agreed Mass Effect had horrific tearing, there was no need.
Yeah, everyone except those who said the tearing in ME isn't bad or doesn't bother them. And quite unsurprisingly, you weren't so eager to posts video footages in the ME thread to show those people how bad tearing can get in ME.

If you can't stand the fact that many people weren't bothered or didn't notice much tearing in uncharted which has obviously less tearing than ME, I am not sure how you stood idly by in the official ME thread when people were saying that the tearing is a non-issue for them. And no, quite unlike your claim, not everyone was saying ME had horrific tearing.

Seriously, don't be such a twat. Your posts are transparent enough that anybody with a half a brain can see your intentions behind your posts in this or other ps3 threads. If people don't recognize tearing, fine. Not seeing tearing is a blessing and there's really no good reason for you to keep on posting video footage whenever someone mentions the tearing wasn't a big issue. Especially, considering you aren't doing this inane shit in the ME or other 360 game threads.

Another ps3 thread gone into the shitter thanks to twats. This will never fucking end..

Ajax

Banned
andrewfee said:
TVs (generally) all run at 60Hz, so games need to be running at a multiple of that. If you have the framerate of the game synced with the refresh rate of the screen, then everything looks fine. The problem happens when the game starts to slow down.

If you have V-Sync enabled, then your game must run at a multiple of 60. For example, say your game is running at 60fps and it drops down to 52fps at one point. With V-Sync enabled, while the game could run at 52fps, it gets cut down to 30 so that it's a proper multiple of 60 to avoid tearing. This is annoying, but avoids any bad artefacts. If the game is running at 30fps it would drop down to 20. (another reason developers should be aiming for 60, so that when it slows down, it's still perfectly playable)

If you have V-Sync disabled then the game runs at 52fps and starts drawing the frames out of sync with the refresh rate, which is known as tearing. It's called that because it basically slices up or "tears" the image in two. (or more)

Here's an example taken from that video I made:
20qauq8.jpg

As you can see, the top half of the image is being drawn quite a bit before the bottom half is updated.

This completely fucks with my eyes if I'm following something (eg an enemy running about) trying to hit them and then they suddenly break up and are in two places at once, then suddenly further on from where I was looking when the framerate picks up. This can cause eyestrain / headaches for a lot of people.

The slight double-image you get from games running at 30fps is usually bad enough on its own in my opinion. Motion blur helps hide this effect (uncharted doesn't use any) but that and tearing is horrible in my opinion.

This is really bad quality (a gif of a low quality compressed video) but check out what happens to this statue as a result of tearing:

tearing.gif

The full video I did is here: http://sr-388.net/videos/minor-tearing.MP4

So what's this video doing on my site then? If you check the date, it was uploaded (and posted) on December 3rd: http://sr-388.net/videos/

HOLY
FUCKING
SHIT

I have NEVER seen so much spamming in an official thread. NEVER.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
Mesijs said:
what is tearing?

If you don't see it, do yourself a favor and don't look for it. I didn't know what tearing was until about six months ago, so I never noticed it, and now I see tearing everywhere in many games and it's distracting to me. I honestly wish I had never heard of screen tearing and could go back to be ignorant and happy.

mintylurb

andrewfee said:
So what's this video doing on my site then? If you check the date, it was uploaded (and posted) on December 3rd: http://sr-388.net/videos/
Oh, look one video uploaded on your site? That's like totally same as what you've been doing in this thread!! So, let me ask you once again. Have you been posting such tearing evidence in the official ME thread whenever someone mentions he/she can't notice tearing/isn't bad like you've been doing in this thread? Nah, didn't think so.

Ajax

Banned
RavenFox said:
Hey where's Bishoptl to ban this asshole Andrew...?

I have already reported the little troll to a mod and if he doesn't do anything I'll report it to another. Enough is enough, I used to love reading this thread and now I can't even skim it with all the trash this fanboy has thrown in it.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
This thread is like when the Bioshock demo came out on Xbox 360 and we were all amazed at the graphics and those flames in the burning wreck and oh my god did you watch the entire plane go under water and i found a second plasmid in the toilet and there's nothing like a fistful of lightning and then the PC crowd came in and demanded a demo and they got it and it ran like shit and they had texture popping and slowdown and even if it runs great now it made the thread a big lump of poo and its happened again except for Uncharted

JudgeN

I like to thank andrewfee for killing this games image for me, its horrible game and should scored a 4.9 because the tearing is so terrible. Now that you killed this game can you please leave?

Pharmacy

Banned
Ajax said:
HOLY
FUCKING
SHIT

Ajax said:
I have already reported the little troll to a mod and if he doesn't do anything I'll report it to another. Enough is enough, I used to love reading this thread and now I can't even skim it with all the trash this fanboy has thrown in it.

lmao what the fuck is wrong with you

all he said was that the game has tearing, then YOU lot bring up "mass effect has more!" argument and then compare it to assassins creed and claim the tearing is minimal, he shows you examples then you report him to the mods?

just lmao

Dazzyman

16bit all at 60fps :lol yea right. Dont forget back in 16bit days we had 50hz PAL stuff as well for nice 17.5% slowdown to match PAL tellies so it aint about a magical 60fps and its not just about the panel being a 60hz model or 50hz theirs more to it than that to do with buffers used, vsync etc.. and of course main one which is why we see it more now and not then is higher res and bigger pallete.

I hope you can drop it now as Im personally sick of hearing about it all the time as alot of us have said we see it now and again but its VERY minor sorry if you dont like that Andrew but on here we are allowed a different opinion. I also find it odd that you havent mentioned it once on your own forum so are you trolling for the sake of it?

A nice guide to what Vsync and tearing is here as its not just about a magical 60fps or whatever your units refresh rate is. Using triple buffer, type of panel used and response times etc.. comes into it so we can all read it and not need to go on about it again and again afterwards as its up to the programmers how they utilise all that for best effect. Iits never just about a magical 60fps/fraction, not only that some games are programmed so badly that even if you enable Vsync and triple buffer they will tear on say a max range PC (ie Gears of War ). Also the games engine in how its utilisied has a lot to do with it and also down to how and what textures are used, even certain GPU chips/cards will tear on certain software games are programmed on due to bugs/needing patching and different types of panels can cause it due to how its updating the image. You can also on the flip side run plenty of PC games with vsync off at 85fps-180+ (and have old console games what fluctuate under 50/60hz) say for example with only a 60hz panel and not have tearing dependant on the game so its not all about matching hz to framerate (and of course you can force triple buffering on ati/nvidia cards for the ones causing issues although some game engines will still tear with this) Ive played plenty of games over the years with a locked 60fps what have tearing and fluctuating ones that havent. Theirs so many factors than just a game running at a constant 60fps or fractions down ie 20 etc... .

(from Hardforum Arkalius tag)
I recently learned that how I thought vsync worked was wrong, and now knowing the way it really does work, I think it would be worthwhile to make sure everyone here understands it.

What is VSync? VSync stands for Vertical Synchronization. The basic idea is that synchronizes your FPS with your monitor's refresh rate. The purpose is to eliminate something called "tearing". I will describe all these things here.

Every CRT monitor has a refresh rate. It's specified in Hz (Hertz, cycles per second). It is the number of times the monitor updates the display per second. Different monitors support different refresh rates at different resolutions. They range from 60Hz at the low end up to 100Hz and higher. Note that this isn't your FPS as your games report it. If your monitor is set at a specific refresh rate, it always updates the screen at that rate, even if nothing on it is changing. On an LCD, things work differently. Pixels on an LCD stay lit until they are told to change; they don't have to be refreshed. However, because of how VGA (and DVI) works, the LCD must still poll the video card at a certain rate for new frames. This is why LCD's still have a "refresh rate" even though they don't actually have to refresh.

I think everyone here understands FPS. It's how many frames the video card can draw per second. Higher is obviously better. However, during a fast paced game, your FPS rarely stays the same all the time. It moves around as the complexity of the image the video card has to draw changes based on what you are seeing. This is where tearing comes in.

Tearing is a phenomenon that gives a disjointed image. The idea is as if you took a photograph of something, then rotated your vew maybe just 1 degree to the left and took a photograph of that, then cut the two pictures in half and taped the top half of one to the bottom half of the other. The images would be similar but there would be a notable difference in the top half from the bottom half. This is what is called tearing on a visual display. It doesn't always have to be cut right in the middle. It can be near the top or the bottom and the separation point can actually move up or down the screen, or seem to jump back and forth between two points.

Why does this happen? Lets take a specific example. Let's say your monitor is set to a refresh rate of 75Hz. You're playing your favorite game and you're getting 100FPS right now. That means that the mointor is updating itself 75 times per second, but the video card is updating the display 100 times per second, that's 33% faster than the mointor. So that means in the time between screen updates, the video card has drawn one frame and a third of another one. That third of the next frame will overwrite the top third of the previous frame and then get drawn on the screen. The video card then finishes the last 2 thirds of that frame, and renders the next 2 thirds of the next frame and then the screen updates again. As you can see this would cause this tearing effect as 2 out of every 3 times the screen updates, either the top third or bottom third is disjointed from the rest of the display. This won't really be noticeable if what is on the screen isn't changing much, but if you're looking around quickly or what not this effect will be very apparant.

Now this is where the common misconception comes in. Some people think that the solution to this problem is to simply create an FPS cap equal to the refresh rate. So long as the video card doesn't go faster than 75 FPS, everything is fine, right? Wrong.

Before I explain why, let me talk about double-buffering. Double-buffering is a technique that mitigates the tearing problem somewhat, but not entirely. Basically you have a frame buffer and a back buffer. Whenever the monitor grabs a frame to refresh with, it pulls it from the frame buffer. The video card draws new frames in the back buffer, then copies it to the frame buffer when it's done. However the copy operation still takes time, so if the monitor refreshes in the middle of the copy operation, it will still have a torn image.

VSync solves this problem by creating a rule that says the back buffer can't copy to the frame buffer until right after the monitor refreshes. With a framerate higher than the refresh rate, this is fine. The back buffer is filled with a frame, the system waits, and after the refresh, the back buffer is copied to the frame buffer and a new frame is drawn in the back buffer, effectively capping your framerate at the refresh rate.

That's all well and good, but now let's look at a different example. Let's say you're playing the sequel to your favorite game, which has better graphics. You're at 75Hz refresh rate still, but now you're only getting 50FPS, 33% slower than the refresh rate. That means every time the monitor updates the screen, the video card draws 2/3 of the next frame. So lets track how this works. The monitor just refreshed, and frame 1 is copied into the frame buffer. 2/3 of frame 2 gets drawn in the back buffer, and the monitor refreshes again. It grabs frame 1 from the frame buffer for the first time. Now the video card finishes the last third of frame 2, but it has to wait, because it can't update until right after a refresh. The monitor refreshes, grabbing frame 1 the second time, and frame 2 is put in the frame buffer. The video card draws 2/3 of frame 3 in the back buffer, and a refresh happens, grabbing frame 2 for the first time. The last third of frame 3 is draw, and again we must wait for the refresh, and when it happens, frame 2 is grabbed for the second time, and frame 3 is copied in. We went through 4 refresh cycles but only 2 frames were drawn. At a refresh rate of 75Hz, that means we'll see 37.5FPS. That's noticeably less than 50FPS which the video card is capable of. This happens because the video card is forced to waste time after finishing a frame in the back buffer as it can't copy it out and it has nowhere else to draw frames.

Essentially this means that with double-buffered VSync, the framerate can only be equal to a discrete set of values equal to Refresh / N where N is some positive integer. That means if you're talking about 60Hz refresh rate, the only framerates you can get are 60, 30, 20, 15, 12, 10, etc etc. You can see the big gap between 60 and 30 there. Any framerate between 60 and 30 your video card would normally put out would get dropped to 30.

Now maybe you can see why people loathe it. Let's go back to the original example. You're playing your favorite game at 75Hz refresh and 100FPS. You turn VSync on, and the game limits you to 75FPS. No problem, right? Fixed the tearing issue, it looks better. You get to an area that's particularly graphically intensive, an area that would drop your FPS down to about 60 without VSync. Now your card cannot do the 75FPS it was doing before, and since VSync is on, it has to do the next highest one on the list, which is 37.5FPS. So now your game which was running at 75FPS just halved it's framerate to 37.5 instantly. Whether or not you find 37.5FPS smooth doesn't change the fact that the framerate just cut in half suddenly, which you would notice. This is what people hate about it.

If you're playing a game that has a framerate that routinely stays above your refresh rate, then VSync will generally be a good thing. However if it's a game that moves above and below it, then VSync can become annoying. Even worse, if the game plays at an FPS that is just below the refresh rate (say you get 65FPS most of the time on a refresh rate of 75Hz), the video card will have to settle for putting out much less FPS than it could (37.5FPS in that instance). This second example is where the percieved drop in performance comes in. It looks like VSync just killed your framerate. It did, technically, but it isn't because it's a graphically intensive operation. It's simply the way it works.

All hope is not lost however. There is a technique called triple-buffering that solves this VSync problem. Lets go back to our 50FPS, 75Hz example. Frame 1 is in the frame buffer, and 2/3 of frame 2 are drawn in the back buffer. The refresh happens and frame 1 is grabbed for the first time. The last third of frame 2 are drawn in the back buffer, and the first third of frame 3 is drawn in the second back buffer (hence the term triple-buffering). The refresh happens, frame 1 is grabbed for the second time, and frame 2 is copied into the frame buffer and the first part of frame 3 into the back buffer. The last 2/3 of frame 3 are drawn in the back buffer, the refresh happens, frame 2 is grabbed for the first time, and frame 3 is copied to the frame buffer. The process starts over. This time we still got 2 frames, but in only 3 refresh cycles. That's 2/3 of the refresh rate, which is 50FPS, exactly what we would have gotten without it. Triple-buffering essentially gives the video card someplace to keep doing work while it waits to transfer the back buffer to the frame buffer, so it doesn't have to waste time. Unfortunately, triple-buffering isn't available in every game, and in fact it isn't too common. It also can cost a little performance to utilize, as it requires extra VRAM for the buffers, and time spent copying all of them around. However, triple-buffered VSync really is the key to the best experience as you eliminate tearing without the downsides of normal VSync (unless you consider the fact that your FPS is capped a downside... which is silly because you can't see an FPS higher than your refresh anyway).

Tearing is a side effect of the realities of CRTs and the ramifications of that on the VGA standard. Since a CRT needs to update 10's of times per second to keep a non-flickering image on it's screen, the standard was developed so that the monitor didn't have to rely on the video rendering device to update it as it could run into a situation where it wouldn't be able to do it fast enough. Instead it's set up to use the frame buffer method and the monitor would come get the frame whenever it needed it, therefore allowing it to maintain a constant (and therefore sufficient) refresh rate. LCD's overcome the shortcoming that necessitated this standard to be implemented, but they still have to use the standard, and therefore are bound by its limitations.

In a perfect world, we'd have perfect LCD's with perfect response times, and would get rid of all the CRTs, and could change our display standard to something else that relies on a push system rather than a pull system. What I mean by that is that the current system is a pull system; the monitor has to get the frame data from the video renderer. A push system would mean the renderer sends frames to the monitor as they are ready. An LCD could support this method since it doesn't have the need to refresh itself constantly. An update cap would have to be set to prevent overloading the device with frames, but that's relatively easy to do. With this method, the whole tearing issue is solved without any kind of need for VSync, because the refresh rate is the same as the framerate. The disparity between the two would be eliminated and the problem solved.

Unfortunately, such a system would be very much different from the VGA standard currently in use, and it would be completely incompatible with it. The differences would be so pronounced that it would be very hard to implement both VGA and such a new standard on the same device as well. As long as there are CRT's, we will have to live with this "pull" style system.

I hope this was informative, and will help people understand the intracacies of VSync (and hopefully curb the "VSync, yes or no?" debates!). Generally, if triple buffering isn't available, you have to decide whether the discrete framerate limitations of VSync and the issues that can cause are worth the visual improvement of the elimination of tearing. It's a personal preference, and it's entirely up to you..

And one correction by kmeson

LCD's must still sample the image held in vram at a particular rate. This rate is typically 60hz, and is part of the DVI specifcation. Sampling occurs regardless of content change, that is to say change in the contents of vram does not trigger an update of display.

IMO a clearer explanation of tearing follows:

Imagine a horizontal line moving down your display. It starts at the top, moves down to the bottom, and repeats. A complete traversal from top to bottom is called a frame. A number of these are completed per second and this is call the refresh rate, e.g. 60hz.

As the line moves from pixel row to pixel row, the content under the line are refreshed; the row of pixels corresponding to the line's current vertical position are displayed from vram. If you could change the content of vram faster than the rate at which a frame is complete you could display a number of different partial images. This is tearing.

The same happens both vertically and horizontally. Instead of a line imagine now a point. It moves left to right, top to bottom; starting at the top-left and ending at the bottom-right. Once complete it repeats. Again like the line above, the pixel under the point is display from vram.

Some history...

Originating on the C64 and Amiga a graphical effect known as "Copper Bars" utilized precise timing to update pixels as they were being refreshed. First were horizontal bars because time was easier. Then came vertical bars where timing is much harder. Typically a number of "copper bars" were displayed depicting a sinusoidal pattern.

The benefits of using this display effects are mostly lost today due to high color resolutions. For example updating the display palette faster than refresh rate allows for the simulation of greater color depth. However this technique is still used in handheld consoles today.

Anyway that's probably more than most care for. G-nigh

I finally finished this for the 4th time today, 3rd time on Crushing. Still to get all the treasures but I now make it my duty when Im down to the last bloke in a area to go at him hand to hand just for the fun of it to dodge the bullets. Im enjoying it that much though I aint bothered at finding them all in a guide just happy to pick the missed ones up on my next play thrus over and over.

BTW whats everyones fav weapon? I still use the default pistol the most for the headshots.

AKS

andrewfee said:
Just because other games are worse, doesn't mean that Uncharted's tearing isn't bad. It's just not as ridiculously bad as something like Mass Effect that has significant framerate issues along with the tearing.

http://sr-388.net/videos/minor-tearing.MP4

To you, even the slightest bit is a MAJOR issue. You need to somehow figure out that this is not the case for normal, mentally healthy individuals. I can see the minor flaws here and there, but they are minor and do not affect gameplay and aren't noticeable most of the time, especially when there is a lot of action to attend to, which is most of the time. You are so singularly focused on this one minor issue that you simply can't see anything else. The game is visually spectacular, has no load times, has fantastic gameplay, ect and you seem to not be able to see beyond minor tearing. I am becoming highly suspicious that you either have obsessive compulsive disorder or a pervasive developmental disorder (autism, Asperger's, ect).

AKS

Ajax said:
HOLY
FUCKING
SHIT

No kidding. I'd like to reach through my computer screen and choke this tool. This was one of the best threads going here, well on its way to 300 pages, and one jackass has managed to fuck it up. Ban this stupid troll. I am sick of idiots like this.

deepbrown

andrewfee said:
TVs (generally) all run at 60Hz, so games need to be running at a multiple of that. If you have the framerate of the game synced with the refresh rate of the screen, then everything looks fine. The problem happens when the game starts to slow down.

If you have V-Sync enabled, then your game must run at a multiple of 60. For example, say your game is running at 60fps and it drops down to 52fps at one point. With V-Sync enabled, while the game could run at 52fps, it gets cut down to 30 so that it's a proper multiple of 60 to avoid tearing. This is annoying, but avoids any bad artefacts. If the game is running at 30fps it would drop down to 20. (another reason developers should be aiming for 60, so that when it slows down, it's still perfectly playable)

If you have V-Sync disabled then the game runs at 52fps and starts drawing the frames out of sync with the refresh rate, which is known as tearing. It's called that because it basically slices up or "tears" the image in two. (or more)

Here's an example taken from that video I made:
20qauq8.jpg

As you can see, the top half of the image is being drawn quite a bit before the bottom half is updated.

This completely fucks with my eyes if I'm following something (eg an enemy running about) trying to hit them and then they suddenly break up and are in two places at once, then suddenly further on from where I was looking when the framerate picks up. This can cause eyestrain / headaches for a lot of people.

The slight double-image you get from games running at 30fps is usually bad enough on its own in my opinion. Motion blur helps hide this effect (uncharted doesn't use any) but that and tearing is horrible in my opinion.

This is really bad quality (a gif of a low quality compressed video) but check out what happens to this statue as a result of tearing:

tearing.gif

The full video I did is here: http://sr-388.net/videos/minor-tearing.MP4

BAN BAN BAN NONE of that has ever happened to me on my multiple play throughs. Fucking faker, get out of this thread you spamming retard

Blunty

Oh. Okay, for some reason I thought that tearing was at the start of levels when the textures would seem blurry to start with, then went clear after a sec or two. Now I think about it that doesn't fit the name tearing at all, I dunno, I just did.

In that case, I didn't see any 'tearing' in the entire game. I'm using an SDTV tho, if that'll make any difference.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
deepbrown said:
BAN BAN BAN NONE of that has ever happened to me on my multiple play throughs. Fucking faker, get out of this thread you spamming retard

Oh come on, it does tear... it is not horrible tearing, but if you play around with the camera and really look for it you will find it... there's a nice game about guessing the rendering time based on where on screen the tearing occurs (it is related to how much extra time it takes the game to render over 1/30th of a second [I am simplifying things... Uncharted is a 30 fps game and I assume they never need a full 1/30th of a second or more of extra time over the normal frame time]), but I'll leave that to the pro's ;).

There are many other.. hey look at the rendering engine going at it... moments again if you do not have anything better to do :D that is...

For example, during the game (think about almost any area towards the beginning... even some very wide open views) if you spin the camera around the character and just keep it spinning the background will become all blurred while only Nathan will be kept in focus by the engine: it is a very nice effect imho. Well, after chapter 8 more or less there are sections in which doing the "spin the camera FAST" trick will not produce that result (background blurred and Nate in focus)...

or shooting at some leaves and branches will leave alpha blended bullet holes in the air.

The engine Naughty Dog has delivered for the PS3 (and all the tools and libraries and code samples they have produced while learning how to push PS3 properly) are VERY impressive (VERY VERY impressive if you consider that they had to basically throw away their GOAL oriented development out of the window and start from scratch with PS3), but all engines break down under a certain set of weird and difficult to test circumstances.

deepbrown

Panajev2001a said:
Oh come on, it does tear... it is not horrible tearing, but if you play around with the camera and really look for it you will find it... there's a nice game about guessing the rendering time based on where on screen the tearing occurs (it is related to how much extra time it takes the game to render over 1/30th of a second [I am simplifying things... Uncharted is a 30 fps game and I assume they never need a full 1/30th of a second or more of extra time over the normal frame time]), but I'll leave that to the pro's ;).

There are many other.. hey look at the rendering engine going at it... moments again if you do not have anything better to do :D that is...

For example, during the game (think about almost any area towards the beginning... even some very wide open views) if you spin the camera around the character and just keep it spinning the background will become all blurred while only Nathan will be kept in focus by the engine: it is a very nice effect imho. Well, after chapter 8 more or less there are sections in which doing the "spin the camera FAST" trick will not produce that result (background blurred and Nate in focus)...

or shooting at some leaves and branches will leave alpha blended bullet holes in the air.

The engine Naughty Dog has delivered for the PS3 (and all the tools and libraries and code samples they have produced while learning how to push PS3 properly) are VERY impressive (VERY VERY impressive if you consider that they had to basically throw away their GOAL oriented development out of the window and start from scratch with PS3), but all engines break down under a certain set of weird and difficult to test circumstances.

I know very well you can create tearing by moving the camera around. I'm saying when I played the game (what you're meant to be doing surely) the tearing was minimal and was confined to the upper or lower parts of the screen - as advertised.

Riddick

Panajev2001a said:

He didn't say the game doesn't tear at all he said it doesn't tear as much as andrewfee is showing in the specific areas. In some of the areas he showed it doesn't tear at all so I guess he was using some weird setting or he's stretching the game's engine on purpose by turning the camera really fast just to produce the result.

Anyway it's the first time I've seen someone singlehandedly getting an entire thread off track. Andrewfee is banned but he succeeded in his goal, he made everyone talk about a problem so tiny I personally hadn't even seen it's there until I read it in GAF.

edit - hehe beaten

Top Bottom