• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

BeeDog

Wow, you guys sure jumped on the poor dude. Admittedly, he's so very obvious with trying to nitpick PS3 games more than games on other consoles, but he also was right when the game tears. Still, imo not that big of a problem to get worked up on.

Don't kill me, I love this game big time and will always do

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Y2Kev said:
I'm playing this game again and I can't believe how beautiful it is!

Yeah I was just showing off the game to one of My friends he has a 360 and he couldn't stop saying how fucking unbelievable it looked. Well the 42 inch 1080p plasma helped a lot but still the fucking game is freaking beautiful simple as that the textures man are the ones that always get me THE FREAKING TEXTURES!

Dez

welcome to gaf. Threads get derailed all the time. The tearing in Uncharted is a significant issue, just like it is in many other games. It's more of an issue to me than the 640p 'issue' in Halo 3. Andrewfee is a videofile, and good contributer to the forum - check out the high def gaming thread - it's a shame that he got lynched for just trying to point out an issue with the game's graphics.

Mesijs

Dez said:
welcome to gaf. Threads get derailed all the time. The tearing in Uncharted is a significant issue, just like it is in many other games. It's more of an issue to me than the 640p 'issue' in Halo 3. Andrewfee is a videofile, and good contributer to the forum - check out the high def gaming thread - it's a shame that he got lynched for just trying to point out an issue with the game's graphics.
Ok, he has a point, we all know it now. I just truly don't see the point of going on and on about it. We see the videos, we know the commentary, etc. There shouldn't be a discussion anymore.

Now let's continue talking about Uncharted.

Dez said:

So occasional tearing is worst then a shit tons of jaggies?

Andrewfee is exaggerating, there is tearing, it is noticeable, but not as he makes it seem.

spwolf

Raist said:
I'm speaking about all formats charts, not platforms specific ones. AC sells way batter than UDF, and that's fucking sad IMHO.

In official last week of December 2007 French stats, AC was 09th, Uncharted was 14th, COD4 was 15th. If we take out portable software sales, UDF was 8th.

I wouldnt worry too much about UDF sales.

Raist

Banned
spwolf said:
In official last week of December 2007 French stats, AC was 09th, Uncharted was 14th, COD4 was 15th. If we take out portable software sales, UDF was 8th.

I wouldnt worry too much about UDF sales.

I know PAL charts :p

And yeah, I was basically saying that outside UK and France, UDF wasn't really showing up in EU charts. It sells quite well, but it deserves way more sells than that IMO.

Dez

Metalmurphy said:
So occasional tearing is worst then a shit tons of jaggies?

Andrewfee is exaggerating, there is tearing, it is noticeable, but not as he makes it seem.

It depends on personal preference. Halo 3 might not be a great example, because I don't think its visuals are its greatest strength. But still, in general, I'd take a resolution hit to avoid tearing / framerate drops every time. I don't like that some of the games that are considered to be the best looking this generation (Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect, Heavenly Sword, etc) have significant tearing issues. I'd prefer that people know about it, acknowledge it, and hopefully developers will stop 'cheating' to achieve great visuals.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Dez said:
welcome to gaf. Threads get derailed all the time. The tearing in Uncharted is a significant issue, just like it is in many other games. It's more of an issue to me than the 640p 'issue' in Halo 3.
Just so that it doesn't sounds like some kind of witch hunt, 640p in H3 is only brought up as an issue because it's compounded with game having no AA - and it's framerate is also something slightly sub-30, it's only that it skips frames instead of tearing. Uncharted opted for tearing instead because it preserves the fluidity of the motion better, and less people are annoyed by it than by inconsistent frame skips.

Dez said:
It depends on personal preference. Halo 3 might not be a great example, because I don't think its visuals are its greatest strength. But still, in general, I'd take a resolution hit to avoid tearing / framerate drops every time. I don't like that some of the games that are considered to be the best looking this generation (Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect, Heavenly Sword, etc) have significant tearing issues. I'd prefer that people know about it, acknowledge it, and hopefully developers will stop 'cheating' to achieve great visuals.

Cheating? This is an issue of a lack of polish that's more likely than not due to the developers just not having enough time to get everything cleaned up.

antiloop

Dez said:

Halo 3 has crappy framerate though. Not a good example.

AKS

Panajev2001a said:
Oh come on, it does tear... it is not horrible tearing, but if you play around with the camera and really look for it you will find it... there's a nice game about guessing the rendering time based on where on screen the tearing occurs (it is related to how much extra time it takes the game to render over 1/30th of a second [I am simplifying things... Uncharted is a 30 fps game and I assume they never need a full 1/30th of a second or more of extra time over the normal frame time]), but I'll leave that to the pro's ;).

There are many other.. hey look at the rendering engine going at it... moments again if you do not have anything better to do :D that is...

For example, during the game (think about almost any area towards the beginning... even some very wide open views) if you spin the camera around the character and just keep it spinning the background will become all blurred while only Nathan will be kept in focus by the engine: it is a very nice effect imho. Well, after chapter 8 more or less there are sections in which doing the "spin the camera FAST" trick will not produce that result (background blurred and Nate in focus)...

or shooting at some leaves and branches will leave alpha blended bullet holes in the air.

The engine Naughty Dog has delivered for the PS3 (and all the tools and libraries and code samples they have produced while learning how to push PS3 properly) are VERY impressive (VERY VERY impressive if you consider that they had to basically throw away their GOAL oriented development out of the window and start from scratch with PS3), but all engines break down under a certain set of weird and difficult to test circumstances.

It is occasionally is visible, and you can produce it, but how the hell is this significant in any way? If you actually have to actively look for a minor technical flaw and even do something unrelated to playing the game to actually produce it, it's pretty minor indeed and not worth wasting space on this talking about like that banned joker did for page after page.

Dez

antiloop said:
Halo 3 has crappy framerate though. Not a good example.

I'm not sure about these claims.. I can't remember the singleplayer campaign that well, but I'm sure the multiplayer is locked at 30fps, i haven't seen any slowdowns. Though I haven't been playing big team battle. But yes, it's a bad example, I agree. The main difference is that Halo 3 is not really lauded for its visuals, while this thread is 90% people who own the game posting screenshots in awe of the graphics. The video of the jeep chase is a prime example. To me, its visual impact was seriously degraded by the significant tearing issues. People who say that it only happens when you intentionally move the camera are just wrong.

Dazzyman

Having a shit causes tearing every time you pop one out, how many of you notice that :lol :D

Has their been any hints of what direction the sequel is going in?

AKS

Dez said:

No, he was being an ass. You don't have to hijack a thread and relentlessly post this nonsense for page after page to state your opinion. He made his position known SEVERAL times, but that just wasn't enough for him.

Also, considering many rarely seem to notice this "significant" problem in Uncharted, just how significant this problem is remains questionable. If you want something that is graphically flawless, buy a high end PC instead of a console. This is not exactly a new idea or concept.

F-Pina

When i look left and right in the middle of the street everything gets blurred and i can't see shit. Am i tearing?

C'mon people, just enjoy the game.

AKS

Dez said:
I'm not sure about these claims.. I can't remember the singleplayer campaign that well, but I'm sure the multiplayer is locked at 30fps, i haven't seen any slowdowns. Though I haven't been playing big team battle. But yes, it's a bad example, I agree. The main difference is that Halo 3 is not really lauded for its visuals, while this thread is 90% people who own the game posting screenshots in awe of the graphics. The video of the jeep chase is a prime example. To me, its visual impact was seriously degraded by the significant tearing issues. People who say that it only happens when you intentionally move the camera are just wrong.
Halo 3 is neither particularly detailed or well animated. Around average at both. Play Call of Duty 4 (better at both) and you will see this is true.

Kittonwy

Banned
F-Pina said:
When i look left and right in the middle of the street everything gets blurred and i can't see shit. Am i tearing?

C'mon people, just enjoy the game.

No, it's just the motion blur effect the game has.
Indifferent2.gif

Red Blaster said:
I'm referring to the goddamn one-hit deaths. This is the type of shit I expect in UbiSoft garbage.

They do kind of change the style there at the very end.
I suggest you edge out and shoot as many of the enemies as you can outside of Navarro's range. Otherwise you'll likely waste a lot of ammo due to the short amount of time you have between his one hit kill shots. Otherwise his pattern is pretty easy. He fires a few wild shots and then takes aim with the final shot. If you are not behind cover for that last shot, you are dead. I do agree that fighting the final boss may have been the least enjoyable section of the game because it seemed to move away from what made the game so great.

Oh yeah by the way I beat the game earlier today. I was disappointed that I beat it, over one weekend but that was my own fault. Once I started playing, I had to force myself to stop. It really sucked me in. If my will power would have been a little weaker, I would have beat it in a single sitting. Great great game. I'm sure I will play through again soon.

AKS

Red Blaster said:
I'm referring to the goddamn one-hit deaths. This is the type of shit I expect in UbiSoft garbage.

Oh, I know what you're talking about now. I thought you were talking about the story.

You may wish to skip running through Crushing. Even the typical pirate can 1 hit kill you with anything more powerful than a basic pistol. Do not get hit by a revolver at any range or you could be seeing the color drain from your screen very quickly.

Core407

Banned
Felix Lighter said:
They do kind of change the style there at the very end.
I suggest you edge out and shoot as many of the enemies as you can outside of Navarro's range. Otherwise you'll likely waste a lot of ammo due to the short amount of time you have between his one hit kill shots. Otherwise his pattern is pretty easy. He fires a few wild shots and then takes aim with the final shot. If you are not behind cover for that last shot, you are dead. I do agree that fighting the final boss may have been the least enjoyable section of the game because it seemed to move away from what made the game so great.

When the treasure was being removed by the helicopter, I just pulled out the shotgun and fired from the hip. Drake actually aims as you run and gun too so you're not missing often. The final fight took me FOREVER to beat until I realized I could just run back to the first instance of the fight and slowly maneuver Drake to be in a position where I could see the enemy but they couldn't hit me or destroy my cover. From then, I just picked them off through head shots and that was really it. The ending definitely took away from the whole thing but it wasn't necessarily bad - just different.

Indeed, the ending fight was annoying and poorly executed, but not enough for it to ruin the experience. I dunno what happened, it kinda just fell apart at that last chapter.

Red Blaster said:
He has a Laser sight, it was the same a couple of levels before, laser sights = one shot kill, but you do have a pretty big warning.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Ok beat the game...

Stats:

Difficulty: well, standard... the one you start the game with.

Time: 9 hours and 43 minutes (note: in many spots I wanted to keep getting to the next story moment so bad that I kinda rushed a bit so if I explored more carefully the areas Nate was passing through the clock would have quite surely risen above the 10 hour mark).

Treasures: 23/60

Medal Points: 360/???? (I do not know what the maximum value possible is for this category).

Watching the bonus material is really something: very nice concept art, photographic tour of ND offices, nice in-depth/under the hood videos about Naughty Dog and major game cut-scenes as well as some welcomed "Tech Dives" videos giving more detail about the hard work ND put into their game (oooh characters' animation... face animation... swwweeeet just about sums it up :D)... it was nice to know that all textures in uncharted are hand-painted (no photographs) and to see how each cut-scene was acted by the motion capture/voice actors :). Story and acting in the game were really well done: Amy Hennig's arrival at ND surely did not hurt them :D, all the contrary IMHO (but then we go into the whole "why Panajev puts people on pedestals ignoring the hard work of tons of other people on the team" discussion, but then someone would have to care enough to smack me over the head about it first... hehe).

The best title out there for PS3 by far.

Mojovonio

Banned
Played the demo again (on a HDTV this time).

The graphics really are amazing. The way his expressions change while you play the game, how his clothes get dirtier or wet.

What impressed me the most, were the shadows. I've become accustomed to shadows that had tons of aliasing, but these look great.

I don't know if I'll buy it though, I may just give it a rent.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Mojovonio said:
Played the demo again (on a HDTV this time).

The graphics really are amazing. The way his expressions change while you play the game, how his clothes get dirtier or wet.

What impressed me the most, were the shadows. I've become accustomed to shadows that had tons of aliasing, but these look great.

I don't know if I'll buy it though, I may just give it a rent.

If you decide not to buy it and you rent it, do not rush through it... the full game is much better than what the demo showed (variety in gaming is important) IMHO so take your time playing through it.

Mojovonio said:

If you've only seen the shadows in the demo, you haven't seen anything yet. There are some parts in the game where the dynamic lighting and shadows completely blew me away.

Panajev2001a said:
If you decide not to buy it and you rent it, do not rush through it... the full game is much better than what the demo showed (variety in gaming is important) IMHO so take your time playing through it.

yep, Ive been playing since christmas and the game has not felt short at all. Yeah, and the demo is easily one of the worst looking areas in the game.

Damn those
zombies
are fecking annoying though.

Also, the voice acting is very very good, easily some of the best in gaming...very natural

Mojovonio

Banned
Panajev2001a said:

Oh, the demo has nothing to do with it. Car Payments + Insurance + Devil May Cry coming out = not being able to afford a second game right now.

But I'll rent it, cause I want to play it. I usually tend to be meticulous when playing good games anyways.

Felix Lighter said:
If you've only seen the shadows in the demo, you haven't seen anything yet. There are some parts in the game where the dynamic lighting and shadows completely blew me away.

So I've heard.

Also, I don't get the complaints that Drake is plain and boring. I found him pretty hilarious.

Dragon

Banned
Mojovonio said:
Oh, the demo has nothing to do with it. Car Payments + Insurance + Devil May Cry coming out = not being able to afford a second game right now.

But I'll rent it, cause I want to play it. I usually tend to be meticulous when playing good games anyways.
You can always rush through it one time and then go back and play it later when you have more cash. It should take someone on normal between 8-10 hours on their first playthrough I think.

Naked Snake said:
I need to get back to playing this game, had it laying around for weeks now.

Do you also have coke and hookers laying around your place? Because I dont't see what else could be keeping you from playing Uncharted?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
nelsonroyale said:
yep, Ive been playing since christmas and the game has not felt short at all. Yeah, and the demo is easily one of the worst looking areas in the game.

Damn those
zombies

Also, the voice acting is very very good, easily some of the best in gaming...very natural

The way they had the voice actors play through the various cut-scenes as close as they happened on the game as possible (all while recording the mo-cap data) worked very well for them. I liked how the actors got so into it (and some props they used in the studio) which is why I like the Bonus in-depth looks at the major cut-scenes in which you can see in one portion of the screen the final game cut-scene, in another portion of the screen an unfinished and rough render of the cut-scene (direct recording of the mo-cap data? it seems very cleanly animated for that though...) and in the rest of the screen the actual video feed from the mo-cap studio (one or two different angles).
It was great because you could check out how the actors and the game characters movements and expressions closely matched one another (I love focusing on the actors' facial expressions :D).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Mojovonio said:

Do not worry, I was not accusing you of being cheap :) (Edit: I am sorry if it did sound like was doing that though :().

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
nelsonroyale said:
Damn those
zombies

I love that part because it really pushed you to practice with "run-and-gun" shooting mechanics which a lot of players probably seldom used in the game before (or only used the under-cover variant... it is awesome to train yourself to aim behind cover using the camera and then shoot with R1 without needing the reticule at all... I am not a master at doing it, but I have my fair share of fun with it ;)).

PuppetMaster said:
Do you also have coke and hookers laying around your place? Because I dont't see what else could be keeping you from playing Uncharted?

Haha, no I don't. I guess it's a general disinterest in gaming as of late, I also have Mario Galaxy laying around (or is it lying around?) not getting any play time... Having very little free time sucks.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
So for some reason I like the game much more on my second go around. Last time I thought it was very good, but now I think it is excellent. I think I was very impatient at the time, what with the barrage of games. Now I'm taking my time and doing the stop and pop and it's so much more fun.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Mojovonio said:
The shadows in the game are really insane, and I have no idea how they did them, when everyone else who tried to put up global dynamic soft shadows, have them alias to hell.

I'm really looking forward to seeing their GDC presentation. Very curios about the loading system, and it's hidden 2GB swap file as well.

Kittonwy

Banned
Panajev2001a said:
The way they had the voice actors play through the various cut-scenes as close as they happened on the game as possible (all while recording the mo-cap data) worked very well for them. I liked how the actors got so into it (and some props they used in the studio) which is why I like the Bonus in-depth looks at the major cut-scenes in which you can see in one portion of the screen the final game cut-scene, in another portion of the screen an unfinished and rough render of the cut-scene (direct recording of the mo-cap data? it seems very cleanly animated for that though...) and in the rest of the screen the actual video feed from the mo-cap studio (one or two different angles).
It was great because you could check out how the actors and the game characters movements and expressions closely matched one another (I love focusing on the actors' facial expressions :D).

I'm just happy cuz I got to see more Emily Rose in those videos.
Indifferent2.gif

Top Bottom