• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

AKS

Y2Kev said:
So for some reason I like the game much more on my second go around. Last time I thought it was very good, but now I think it is excellent. I think I was very impatient at the time, what with the barrage of games. Now I'm taking my time and doing the stop and pop and it's so much more fun.

Most reviewers rush through games as fast as they possibly can to meet deadlines. It the case of games like Uncharted in particular, it ends up being a less enjoyable experience than it otherwise would (and should) have been, and they of course prominently feature whatever time it took them to rush through it as a weakness of the game. They end up lowering the score, and I can only imagine how many details they miss that ND spent countless hours creating. I've spent hours just checking out the scenery and searching for treasures. It's a much more enjoyable game when you go at your own pace and just enjoy the game. Not including a "time attack" or leaderboard was very wise. Uncharted isn't that type of game. Glad to see you gave it a second chance and played it the way it was meant to be played.

AKS

Kittonwy said:
I'm just happy cuz I got to see more Emily Rose in those videos.
Indifferent2.gif

I read today that ND would be open to an Uncharted movie. If that ever happened, I would hope the original cast from the game would be used rather than other actors who look more like the in game characters. That includes Emily Rose, of course. Those actors did such a great job that they are part of those characters to me.

Jeff-DSA

Well, I finished up the game last week.

Positives:

-The platforming
-The scale of the game
-Graphics (WOW)
-The voice acting
-Storyline was entertaining
-Game length was about perfect
-Nice variety of locations
-Hidden treasures were fun to look for
-The characters had, well, a lot of character
-The game kept a pretty quick and fun pace for most of the experience

Negatives:

-Too much gunplay...WAY TOO MUCH
-Very formulaic (clear room, climb a few ledges, clear another room, repeat)
-Grenades with Sixaxis are horrible
-
Resident Evil twist at the end sucked. It could have been fine if they wanted it to have that curse, but it turned all survivor horror and I didn't like that.
-Exploding barrels everywhere, including the river (c'mon, really?)
-Combat when there isn't cover (sooooo awkward)
-Hand to hand combat stuff was mostly pointless
-Triggered enemy events. I hate when you cross an invisible line only to have a flood of enemies show up and instantly aware of your location. They should have let you sneak up on them and get the first shot EVERY time, not just once in a while.
-QTE was just so random and scarce that it felt like a last second idea. You should either commit to it being part of the experience or not. Same went for Sixaxis tilting.
-Puzzles were overly simple. The answers were always obvious.

Overall I really enjoyed the game and I don't regret picking it up. I wouldn't mind playing through it again some time, but it definitely won't be any time soon with the backlog I'm dealing with. The game was good, but again, I feel that the NeoGAF community may be guilty of overhyping it a bit. I would say it's a solid 8.5 of a game, but those that are pushing it into the high 9 category are either just blind to flaws or kidding themselves.

I think that quite a few things could (and should) be addressed for the sequel. If they can fix some of the annoying things in the game, and can tone down the amount of shooting in relation to exploring, then Sony should have themselves a franchise that they can rely on for the coming years.

Mesijs

Red Blaster said:
I'm referring to the goddamn one-hit deaths. This is the type of shit I expect in UbiSoft garbage.

come on... learn how to play then. It's the end boss and he has a laser sight, so yes: 1 shot 1 kill.

So retreat and play smart. Don't use breakable cover but retreat a bit and wait until they act, then pop them off. I could give you an exact description of how to clear this section, also on Crushing...

Core407

Banned
Mesijs said:
come on... learn how to play then. It's the end boss and he has a laser sight, so yes: 1 shot 1 kill.

So retreat and play smart. Don't use breakable cover but retreat a bit and wait until they act, then pop them off. I could give you an exact description of how to clear this section, also on Crushing...

Pretty much do what Mesijs just said. He does the EXACT same thing over and over (most likely purposely done). You can actually figure out when he's going to pop up and shoot - which is when you stay down. After he shoots, pop up real quick and then take out the minions.

BeeDog

Jeff-DSA said:
Overall I really enjoyed the game and I don't regret picking it up. I wouldn't mind playing through it again some time, but it definitely won't be any time soon with the backlog I'm dealing with. The game was good, but again, I feel that the NeoGAF community may be guilty of overhyping it a bit. I would say it's a solid 8.5 of a game, but those that are pushing it into the high 9 category are either just blind to flaws or kidding themselves.

Why do you feel the need to judge everyone else who thoroughtly enjoyed this game? You are kidding yourself if you really think that; just accept that other people have their own opinions and don't blame everyone for bleing blind because they don't agree with you.

Jeff-DSA

BeeDog said:
Why do you feel the need to judge everyone else who thoroughtly enjoyed this game? You are kidding yourself if you really think that; just accept that other people have their own opinions and don't blame everyone for bleing blind because they don't agree with you.

I just think that there's been this rallying cry around this game and it's been a bit over the top. I picked the game up because of GAF, something I usually don't do because I've been burned in the past, but the overwhelming support by (seemingly) every PS3 owner won me over.

Yes, I'm glad I picked up the game (it's better than rental status), but there's no way you can objectively overlook some of the flaws. Even GOTY winners have flaws, just so you know.

Core407

Banned
Jeff-DSA said:
I just think that there's been this rallying cry around this game and it's been a bit over the top. I picked the game up because of GAF, something I usually don't do because I've been burned in the past, but the overwhelming support by (seemingly) every PS3 owner won me over.

Yes, I'm glad I picked up the game (it's better than rental status), but there's no way you can objectively overlook some of the flaws. Even GOTY winners have flaws, just so you know.

What flaws? I'd love to hear them.

deepbrown

Core407 said:
Pretty much do what Mesijs just said. He does the EXACT same thing over and over (most likely purposely done). You can actually figure out when he's going to pop up and shoot - which is when you stay down. After he shoots, pop up real quick and then take out the minions.
I found it too easy :(

BeeDog

Jeff-DSA said:

Don't really agree, the flaws you mentioned further up maybe be viewed differently by other players. You found the puzzles to be too easy and the over-reliance of shooting to be frustrating, but other gamers might find these design choices awesome ("hey, if i want puzzels ill play Myst lololol!" etc. hopefully you'll get my point). Of course, the game has its share of flaws, but these will definitely vary depending on who you ask. You sound like the sentiments you listed MUST be fanboy-overlooked, otherwise you are blind or you're kidding yourself, as you put it.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Jeff-DSA said:
Look up a few posts, they're right after my positives.
See, the thing with a lot of your flaws there is that they are not flaws at all but rather your subjective thoughts or the game being something you didn't expect/wanted it to bee.

Too much gunplay? It would be too much if it was crappily done, but it's anything but.

Grenades with Sixaxis are not horrible in the least. I have no idea why would you say that. I
had no problem hitting whatever I wanted to hit with them.

You didn't like "that" part of the game, but that's not a flaw in any real way.
In fact, what fun would it be if there wasn't any twist at the end? About as much fun as if in Indy they opened the Ark and there was absolutely nothing in it.

Combat when there isn't cover and hand to hand combat is neither awkward nor useless if you know how to use it well, it helps you clear out enemies much quicker if you know what you're doing all the while making you look like a badass, and in fact it becomes invaluable on higher difficulties.

Even your puzzle comment which I agree with 100% is very subjective, and even I have to admit that game having more puzzles and more difficult puzzles would make it less replayable ("argh" I know how to solve this, I just want to get it over with and get back to action")

Dyno

Mesijs said:

Another big help with regards to the last scene...

Navarro's gun fires on a pattern. SHOT-SHOT-SHOT-PAUSE-SHOT. Then he takes cover. That's when you pop out and kill a guy or two. Even if you use the breakable cover you can still win the day just by respecting the pattern.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Jeff-DSA said:
Look up a few posts, they're right after my positives.

About 4 of those I can agree with the other one are really opinion based but hey they are your negative so yeah. I actually liked the hand to hand it provided me with another layed of depth instead of just shooting and cover.

Jeff-DSA

Elbrain said:
About 4 of those I can agree with the other one are really opinion based but hey they are your negative so yeah. I actually liked the hand to hand it provided me with another layed of depth instead of just shooting and cover.

I'm fine if people disagree with what I perceive as flaws. That's fair. What I don't like is that if anybody has an issue with the game, they're looking at it wrong or playing it wrong, according to fan base. Uncharted is a GOOD GAME. I don't want anybody thinking that I feel it's not. I do, however, feel that there is an unfair push against many of its criticisms. I'm fine with praise, praise it all you want, but at least allow for those of us that do find flaws to voice them without immediate rebuttal.

So now that I'm done with this, what do we know about Uncharted 2? Anything?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Jeff-DSA said:
Nothing official, but it seems like ND will work on Uncharted 2 next, instead of some other game like Jak. All their comments in that regard have been hints towards a sequel. Stuff like "We have these characters and rich world that we only scratched" etc.

Dibbz

Dyno said:
Another big help with regards to the last scene...

Navarro's gun fires on a pattern. SHOT-SHOT-SHOT-PAUSE-SHOT. Then he takes cover. That's when you pop out and kill a guy or two. Even if you use the breakable cover you can still win the day just by respecting the pattern.
Seriously is this what it has come down to?

People can't even figure out his pattern of attack? It consists of 4 moves for god sake. It's not very hard to remember. The second time you see his pattern it should be engraved in your head dammit. Gaaaah. Do you guys even know how to play games? :|

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Jeff-DSA said:
I'm fine if people disagree with what I perceive as flaws. That's fair. What I don't like is that if anybody has an issue with the game, they're looking at it wrong or playing it wrong, according to fan base. Uncharted is a GOOD GAME. I don't want anybody thinking that I feel it's not. I do, however, feel that there is an unfair push against many of its criticisms. I'm fine with praise, praise it all you want, but at least allow for those of us that do find flaws to voice them without immediate rebuttal.

Uncharted: The Hand of Midas BELIEVE!

Pachimari

Finally I got the full game from my boss after having reviewed the game back in november of 2007. =)
Time to enjoy this adventure without having to rush through.

deepbrown

Part 2 of the neogaf/naughty dog interview is up:http://www.ripten.com/2008/01/21/ri...rt-style-water-and-the-advantages-of-blu-ray/
In this part Richard talks about Uncharted’s art style, lighting, water, the advantages of Blu-ray, and the possibility of swimming underwater or crouching in the next game.

It’s been common in other games for shadows to either shimmer or have jagged edges. How did Naughty Dog achieve such sharp dynamic shadows?

Richard: That’s all technical!! But honestly, it was a huge goal of ours to make everything smooth and sharp. I think we rewrote the shadow engine like 10 times. We also wanted one global shadow solution. That is why you can see everything cast a shadow on everything else. It’s one giant shadow map!
rich_d_interview_p2.jpg

Again though, does it really matter? That’s the good thing about the PS3. We don’t have to worry about storage anymore. I think this question is trying to satisfy all the people who want to know if it is possible to make Uncharted on the 360.

That question will have to remain unknown since it will never happen :) Now if it did need to happen, is it so bad to go back to the days of “Enter Disk 2″! Actually it might be. I guess the PS3 is better…hmm….

deepbrown

Kittonwy said:
I would like to see water-based puzzles in Uncharted 2, that would be awesome.
Indifferent2.gif
Yeah that'd be cool...I also want swmmimng underwater! That'd be sweet with their water effects...and I like underwater puzzles.

Dibbz

deepbrown said:
Yeah that'd be cool...I also want swmmimng underwater! That'd be sweet with their water effects...and I like underwater puzzles.
The underwater effects at the very start of the game and the very end of the game looked amazing. Would have been cool if there were some sort of under water segments where you had to solve puzzles would be great.

I'd love to knock some pirates in the water too and watch em drown :lol

AKS

Jeff-DSA said:

Negatives:

-
Resident Evil twist at the end sucked. It could have been fine if they wanted it to have that curse, but it turned all survivor horror and I didn't like that.
-Triggered enemy events. I hate when you cross an invisible line only to have a flood of enemies show up and instantly aware of your location. They should have let you sneak up on them and get the first shot EVERY time, not just once in a while.
-QTE was just so random and scarce that it felt like a last second idea. You should either commit to it being part of the experience or not. Same went for Sixaxis tilting.

I think that quite a few things could (and should) be addressed for the sequel. If they can fix some of the annoying things in the game, and can tone down the amount of shooting in relation to exploring, then Sony should have themselves a franchise that they can rely on for the coming years.

I disagree with many of your criticisms.

First is the puzzle difficulty. ND play tested the difficulty. They limited the difficulty and complexity to ensure that the Hollywood blockbuster pace was not compromised. I assume you've seen an Indiana Jones film or two. Getting stuck on any puzzle would ruin the pace they had worked very hard to achieve, which is easily the new standard in regards to games with a cinematic feel and pace. When has Indy ever spent more than a minute or two on a puzzle regardless of how seemingly impossible they are to solve? Pacing.

Ditto for the format and complexity. Kept with the Indiana Jones pacing.

Strange how the Sixaxis controls are "horrible" yet I and many others had no trouble. Try practicing.

Melee kills give you 2x ammo. Hardly useless, especially on Crushing, which I doubt you've even unlocked.

I'm not going to waste my time addressing any more of these.

It's interesting how you seem so confident that you have everything figured out with a single play through and know more about it than those of us that have 100% completion. I played through this game on November 16th before it was even supposed to be officially released and have played through it several times since then. I believe I have a better understanding of the game based on what you wrote. You're entitled to your opinion, but I think you're wrong on several points.

I hope you play through it again when you are not trying to get through a backlog of games. I get the impression that you missed some nuances because you rushed through it, indicating this is pointless and that was flawed without really taking the time to figure out why some things were set up the way that they were.

AKS

Jeff-DSA said:

Then you need to be more careful in the way you matter of factly critique the opinions of others and how you seem to think you have figured out things that many of us can't seem to comprehend. You've only played through this once, right? And even so, it sounds like you rushed through it a bit trying to get through a backlog of games. Don't tell other people they are blind or are overhyping the game and think you won't get called out for it. You aren't exactly an expert yourself.

Well, I finally picked up the retail version after playing the demo a few times. I'm at the part where you
find your plane blown up
. So far I like it, but at this point it doesn't seem like the amazing game people here talk about. I know I haven't gotten to far so that may change. It seems that whenever I spot something that is awesome about Uncharted, something else creeps up that I don't like. The lighting, textures, character models, animations all look awesome, however the minor tearing, texture pop in, and lame explosions suck.

The cover system is nice, really cool how you have so many different animations when you take cover, however the gunplay lacks a certain amount of oomph. I may be spoiled by the visceral hardcore shooting in Gears, where all the blood and gore really adds to the gunplay. Watching enemies jump in the air when I kill them from behind cover in Uncharted just looks funny.

I love some of the attention to detail in Uncharted, during gameplay when characters are talking their lips move, when walking downstairs you get a specific animation walking downstairs, especially when you get wet your clothes change to show that. The jungles look stunning, and the platforming is really cool. I really dig the reward system how it is like achievements. However when I'm in an ancient underground ruin, the last thing I'd want to see are exploding barrels. The exploding barrels ruin some of the experience.

I am going to finish the game cause I actually like the game so far, I just hope it gets better as I go along.

AKS said:
I don't think Gears' gore would have fit well with an Indiana Jones type of theme. Or a "T" rating.

Understood, but when both games have similar gameplay when it comes to the cover system, and shooting mechanics it's hard to not compare the 2 games when it comes to that.

Struct09

Jeff-DSA said:

Positives:

-The platforming
-The scale of the game
-Graphics (WOW)
-The voice acting
-Storyline was entertaining
-Game length was about perfect
-Nice variety of locations
-Hidden treasures were fun to look for
-The characters had, well, a lot of character
-The game kept a pretty quick and fun pace for most of the experience

Negatives:

-

I completed the game today, and you pretty much nailed my thoughts. The only point I would disagree with is about hand to hand combat - it was useful at times (and fun to pull off).

By far my biggest complaint is
the "zombie" like creatures near the end. That really took me out of the cinematic experience, and killed the pacing of the story for me.

Still, great game, will play the sequel(s).

Banned
I just cleared the game on normal. I'm considering clearing it on Hard, but don't really know if I'll find the time. Is it really that much better the second time through? I was never the type of gamer to go collecting everything to clear a game 100%.

This game was so amazing! very exhilarating and the story kept me engrossed throughout, which is not a normal thing with me and videogame story-lines. The set-pieces were also amazing, the car chase sequence in particular. It wasn't difficult but I really felt as though I was participating in a movie or something.

The graphics are absolutely stunning. especially near the end when you encounter 'those' badguys. The whole mood changed and I could really feel the tension.

The control and graphics surpass those of Bioshock and Gears of War easily for me. (I've cleared both) and I don't care if you can't directly compare them, I judge games on how much fun I have, and playing Uncharted left me begging for more.

The bonus extras are kinda cool, but I was a little disappointed with the filters. They are just little gimmicks IMO. The Next-Gen filter I think was a little nod & wink at many other games of this generation with the dreary colours. Nice one that.

A few issues I had while playing the game:
There was one part where I had to shoot a lock to open the door to let Elena in, but Icouldn't see the lock at all becasue it was too dark. I actually emptied loads of clips at the door and ran around for ages not knowing what to do, thinking I was missing something. That annoyed me no end. This kind of thing cropped up a few times, where I didn't know what to do next, simply because I couldn't see it.

When you get hit, the colour fades, and if you lay low for a while, the colours fade back in. But when the colours fade back it, it's not very smooth. This was very jarring for me and wish there could have been a smoother transition there.

The Water looks really nice, on a level with Bioshock in my IMO, (possibly even surpassing it), but I HATE water levels and hope ND don't introduce water puzzles or swimming under water in the sequel!

overall - 9.5/10

Banned
oh yeah, another thing. I was kinda disappointed to find that the cut-scene are in fact only videos and not running in real-time with the engine. I am aware that the models are the sames, but the lighting in completely different. This isn't a knock on the game, but the cut-scenes!! They look so nice!!...DROOOOOL!

Narcosis

MercuryLS said:
Is the cover-based gameplay as intuitive as Gears?

I thought the blindfire in Gears was alot better, but otherwose they seemed awfully similar to me. Main difference I noticed was headshots actually meant something in Uncharted

Dibbz

mysticstylez said:
I'm sorry, I meant when it comes to grenades.
hah no need to be sorry :)

@ MercuryLS

Well having played both Gears and Uncharted, I say that Uncharted has the better cover system. It's not as cluncky as gears, and feels a lot more natural.

I found jumping over cover, blind firing etc a hell of a lot better in Uncharted.

MercuryLS

Banned
Dibbz said:
hah no need to be sorry :)

@ MercuryLS

Well having played both Gears and Uncharted, I say that Uncharted has the better cover system. It's not as cluncky as gears, and feels a lot more natural.

I found jumping over cover, blind firing etc a hell of a lot better in Uncharted.

That's impressive. Gotta try this game out asap.

[/QUOTE]Well having played both Gears and Uncharted, I say that Uncharted has the better cover system. It's not as cluncky as gears, and feels a lot more natural.

I found jumping over cover, blind firing etc a hell of a lot better in Uncharted.[/QUOTE]

See, I feel the exact opposite. I find Uncharted's cover system to be unresponsive at times, or at least compared to GoW. For example when you go from cover to cover. Drake will dive and roll, and then eventually take cover again. In Gears, you can float from cover to cover almost seamlessly. Don't get me wrong, Uncharted has a pretty good cover system, and there are some awesome gun fights, but the games strength in my opinion lies in the platforming sections (the fortress was awesome). Gears was a game built around its cover system almost entirely.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Kittonwy said:
More intuitive and fluid, you don't have to roadie-run during combat, you're always sprinting, you're always agile.

Yeah that is why I liked the game way more than gears always on the move and not feeling like a tank very fast and agile.

Kittonwy

Banned
TheClimaxan said:
See, I feel the exact opposite. I find Uncharted's cover system to be unresponsive at times, or at least compared to GoW. For example when you go from cover to cover. Drake will dive and roll, and then eventually take cover again. In Gears, you can float from cover to cover almost seamlessly. Don't get me wrong, Uncharted has a pretty good cover system, and there are some awesome gun fights, but the games strength in my opinion lies in the platforming sections (the fortress was awesome). Gears was a game built around its cover system almost entirely.

When you're rolling towards a piece of cover Drake will transistion seemlessly into cover mode, and when you want to get out of cover you don't have to move backwards (which I found to be clunky in Gears), you simply press circle and he'll snap out of cover quickly. In fact with Uncharted the levels allows the player to use cover very creatively and the platforming works with the cover system like climbing up a wall and peeking over using the wall as cover (high cover), or hanging onto a ledge and using that as cover (low cover), you can climb up to a higher platform (without always having to find a set of stairs) which would also have some cover that the player can use, while Gears is really restricted to the same 2D plane.

Kittonwy said:
When you're rolling towards a piece of cover Drake will transistion seemlessly into cover mode, and when you want to get out of cover you don't have to move backwards (which I found to be clunky in Gears), you simply press circle and he'll snap out of cover quickly. In fact with Uncharted the levels allows the player to use cover very creatively and the platforming works with the cover system like climbing up a wall and peeking over using the wall as cover (high cover), or hanging onto a ledge and using that as cover (low cover), while Gears is really restricted to the same 2D plane.

Oh I think the cover system in Uncharted is better cause of how you can interact with the enviornments. However I find the actual gunplay superior in Gears just because of how graphic it can be. It's very satisfying to pop out of cover with a pistol and blow off a Locust's head. Or blow a body into bits with a shotgun from cover. I don't like how the enemies jump in the air when the get killed.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
I am loving the shootouts and having a bunch of oh shi moments like when a shotgunner is creeping up on my cover and i have limited health left and somehow manage to head shot em and escape B)

also this is by far the most visually impressive game i have seen this gen for a ton of reasons. Uzi/Shotgun combo > the rest. The A.I is good the animation is great and I am just loving the experience altogether.

AKS

MercuryLS said:
Is the cover-based gameplay as intuitive as Gears?

They are VERY similar and both are excellent. I own both games. There are subtle differences, but both are great. I personally enjoyed Uncharted's cover mechanics a bit more simply because the areas are often less claustrophobic and narrow and thus you get less siutations in which you cling to the wrong surface when you're near a doorway or wall (problem inherent with the mechanic in both games; you just see it less in Uncharted because of the level design).

AKS

mysticstylez said:
Oh I think the cover system in Uncharted is better cause of how you can interact with the enviornments. However I find the actual gunplay superior in Gears just because of how graphic it can be. It's very satisfying to pop out of cover with a pistol and blow off a Locust's head. Or blow a body into bits with a shotgun from cover. I don't like how the enemies jump in the air when the get killed.

Again, I understand what you're saying, but that would obviously have not fit the Indiana Jones theme very well. Can you imagine someone's head exploding in Uncharted every time you hit them with a revolver and leaving pools of blood and burnt flesh after every gunplay encounter? :lol :D It's hard for me to imagine a blood soaked Uncharted and how that would mix with it's sense of light hearted adventure and wisecracking humor (it wouldn't).

The levels of gore for the theme of each game are just right in my view.

Dazzyman

Aye they are similar with GOW and Uncharted. I adore GOW (finished it 9times now) that after playing Uncharted for the first time it made me install it and finish it in two days on PC (Id had it sat their but play the 360 versio to death before then). Id say GOW is much harder with shooting on hardened than on normal and hard on Uncharted as you spend alot of time very quickly bursting with cover system and going back in but blind firing is much easier due to oodles of ammo on GOW. GOW is more clunky with cover though moving across from areas ie you can roll into cover on Uncharted and you dont have to move back to get out On flip side GOW is easier for actual cover I guess. I found it much easier to shoot singles off on Uncharted in and out of cover with headshots with a pistol and of course close up its miles better, GOW might have a chainsaw but it can still be iffy (and of course your stuffed if you get shot close up on Insane level on GOW) and for me I love leaving the last enemy to smack him about for the ammo. As long as you use cover on Uncharted especially with the Desert Eagle laser guys later on (never had any issues with them personally they have an easy routine just cover bob out cover/roll across back in let em shoot then kill) For me it just shows GOW was my 2006 GOTY and Uncharted is my 07 (dont count Mario Galaxy thats game of the decaded lol)

Top Bottom