• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Steroyd

It's bad enough that the UK PS store gets things late, make a US account they say problem solved except the only good thing it's for is downloading demo's so now the US account is worth fuck all because "the" game that was the reason of it's existance is unplayable on my machine.

Don't worry I'm cool fortunately I bought Lemmings today and I like lemmings, lemmings are cool, lemmings are awesome, awesome lemmings, cool lemmings.

I like lemmings.

Kittonwy

Banned
sprocket said:
My eyes will never shut again! This game is BEAUTIFUL! wait is there a more powerful word?

I thought coming off of COD4 that it would effect the awe factor this game might have. I was dead wrong.

Would talk about the awesome gamplay but I got to get back to playing! maybe a little later!

Damn u I wanna play but Ima at work rawr!!!
angry.gif

the blog is down, and SONY FUCKING SUCKS

Why would they region lock a demo?
this game will be released on the same day all around the world anyway?
so I do not understand why they lock a demo!

every eu guy will buy the US version if it is released earlier than the PAL version!

IDIOTS over at sony
its not like they have enough bad news they want to create even MORE unhappy clients

BIG BUBBA

Did I mention it's time to cancel my Ratchet and Clank preorder yet?
Amir0x said:
you only enjoy platform games?

what the bloody hell do you own a PS3? To be able to come into these threads and say "I was interested in this game before, I even pre-ordered it... even though I claim to only like platformers. But now, after playing this game I pre-ordered that wasn't a platformer, I realized I didn't like it by some fascinating surprise!"

Well, I mean, I do enjoy some shooters. I think Resistance is pretty fun, and I like fooling around with Halo 3.

I was under the mistaken impression that Uncharted was going to be like Prince of Persia, which I loved.

And I've already admitted that my first post wasn't meant to be taken completely seriously (I humbly retract my "slimy green blocks" statement).

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
BIG BUBBA said:
I didn't play it because I thought that I wouldn't like it.

I pretty much only enjoy platforming games, so I guess shooter fans should disregard my comments about the gameplay.

I still think the controls are floaty, especially jumping.. Sometimes you just hover onto a platform in front of you when you jump.

edit: I admit my first post in this thread was a little bit hyperbolic. Still, I'm definitely unimpressed. That doesn't mean you will be, though.

wait so you love platformers but hate R+C? R+C has to be one of the best games this generation... hell maybe ever especially in that category.

besada

Banned
More impressions:

V-Sync issues are there but not so bad. I didn't notice much framerate drop, even in large fire fights, but that might be because I was looking all over the place for who was shooting at me. On a second run through I found a little dog-run around a temple full of guys that allows you to come up behind them, which was fun.

My biggest issue so far is the same one I had with Crackdown, which is what you can climb and what you can't. There's no easy way to tell, and Nathan will stand there trying to climb even a flat wall. Also I got stuck for about five minutes in the hollow of a tree.

AK-47 is nice, as is the shotgun. Like most over the shoulder 3rdPS's the aiming view is significantly slower than the regular view, so you'll be popping in and out of it constantly.

Had some slightly more advanced tactics used against me by the guys carrying AKs, in that they pushed me into a kill box (or I walked into one) and they triangulated fire.

Dante

Maybe istead of posting in here you should try the official blog, and they could maybe offer up a patch if enough people complain.

KurowaSan

i don't think it's region locked, in fact, it's mandatory to be region free.

as someone said before, it may have something to do with some PAL libraries (which probably should be on the disc, maybe?)

it's not because of not finding a cutscene, i'm almost sure about that. in fact, it probably has every other european language.
why don't one of you guys, those lucky ones that can play the demo ;_; , try to set the ps3 in other language and try to play it?

i have to admit that now i have my doubts about importing the game, i probably will, but still...

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
BIG BUBBA said:
Haha just played and beat it. It's pretty mediocre (IMO). The controls are super-floaty, and when you jump it's really unnatural and slow. The animation transitions are awful, which is weird because I thought that was supposed to be the game's big innovation. The shooting gameplay sucks, but I guess if you like Tomb Raider and stuff you'll like it. Graphics are unspectacular... The character looks good, but the environment is pretty underwhelming, just a bunch of slimy green blocks.

I'm really glad they released this demo--I was going to buy this game before I played it. Now I know that I'm 100% uninterested.

Uh oh. 7.5 on gamespot, me being frustrated at supporting sony, then me getting banned confirmed.

careksims

Okay! Intro is AMAZING! I love the acting! Got a thumbs up from me. I got into my first fire fight and holy moley! That was great. You can't gun ho it. You gotta' keep moving and cover is a must! It feels satisfying though.

DrXym

robertsan21 said:

every eu guy will buy the US version if it is released earlier than the PAL version!

IDIOTS over at sony
its not like they have enough bad news they want to create even MORE unhappy clients

It isn't region locked. It's broken. An educated guess is that the English in EU PS3s is en-GB, not en-US and it breaks some kind of localization issue in the game.

mr_nothin

Banned
msdstc said:
wait so you love platformers but hate R+C? R+C has to be one of the best games this generation... hell maybe ever especially in that category.
His definition of a platformer is probably mario and mario only.

Dante

BIG BUBBA said:
Well, I mean, I do enjoy some shooters. I think Resistance is pretty fun, and I like fooling around with Halo 3.

I was under the mistaken impression that Uncharted was going to be like Prince of Persia, which I loved.

And I've already admitted that my first post wasn't meant to be taken completely seriously (I humbly retract my "slimy green blocks" statement).

I don't think you have to worry about that.

BIG BUBBA

msdstc said:

I really don't think R&C can be considered a platformer. I'd argue that R&C is more similar to Uncharted than it is to Mario.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
msdstc said:

R&C isn't much of a platformer, and I love that game like few others.

Ceb

gofreak said:
STORM THE BLOG! :eek:

Seriously. Flood the blog with complaints, maybe that will accomplish something and we won't have to listen to deepbrown's crying. :lol @ Big Bubba and his troopers.

I dunno, maybe he thought even though he didn't like shooting games, he might still like this one? I mean, I don't generally like FPS, but I still try them out and occasionally really find one I like. Happening a lot lately, actually.

Anyway, there are a lot of people who didn't like Jak II and that was one of my favourite PS2 games. I'm generally a "in Naughty Dog we trust" type of guy, so I'm looking forward to Uncharted when I finally make my cross-ocean move and can pick up a PS3.

As an aside, does anyone else find it weird that even though furries are usually tarred and feathered around here, kittonwy is treated like a beloved mascot?

f@luS

More than a member.
What kind of shadowing are they using? this is the 1st time even fooliage shadowing arent a bunch of pixel at all...so great looking

Synless

msdstc said:
he does have a right to opinion on the game. I do agree with you here though the graphics are beyond anything I've ever seen from looking at videos, it's at 90% now and soon I can judge from playing.
I wasn't saying his opinion was wrong about how he felt it played, but seriously the graphics being not that great? GTFO at that opinion.

Raist

Banned
msdstc said:
he does have a right to opinion on the game. I do agree with you here though the graphics are beyond anything I've ever seen from looking at videos, it's at 90% now and soon I can judge from playing.

Well, maybe people would be a little bit more easy on him if he hadn't posted his preorder cancel log for R&C 3 times, and if he stopped repeating the same stuff over and over like, "well, the game is crap. But hey, it's my opinion, aiight ?"

I mean, ok, not liking the gameplay is fair, but saying that the gfx and animations are terrible ? c'mon.

Hunter D

The only impressions that matter so far are besada's. besada what do you think of the platforming and the animation in the game?

Evlar

Banned
There's a difference between a bug (which this is) and region locking (which this isn't). If it were actually region locked there would be polite on-screen message advising you to fuck off and buy a US PS3. Instead, there's a black screen or a nonsensical "insert disc" message.

This is the problem with a region free platform with variations in hardware and firmware between regions: Sometimes shit breaks unintentionally.

greenry

Played the demo a second time and noticed something pretty funny. I was going for a head shot on some bad guy and missed by a hair, so the bullet hit the wall behind him. The guy flinches for a second like, "Shit I almost died", looks behind him and then dives for cover.

Dante

robertsan21 said:

IDIOTS over at sony

The blog is not down

BIG BUBBA

The animation in the game looks good, but you don't really feel connected to it, if that makes sense. But I don't think any of you are going to care what I say either way.

kitch9

Banned
FUCK ME, this is fantastic. What with our fucking lame ass fucking workshy postal service who cannot fucking deliver me my R&C 10 fucking days after its been shipped so fuck knows when I'll get my fucking COD4 that was shipped 2 days ago and fucking Sony, who think that us Europeans do actually do not want to play games on our fucking PS3 so do not release the biggest demo yet for their system here, I'm never gonna get any use out of my PS3.

MAN I'M PISSED..... I'm that pissed I haven't even proof read my post so it won't make sense.

wowfactor

Banned
I also noticed that the enemies do run toward you if you fail to shoot them down for a few rounds.
I think the AI is very good.

Cosmozone

Know what I hate about these threads? People talk more about their download experience than they talk about what was downloaded. Makes getting any real info really difficult. Bah, I don't need you! :D

BIG BUBBA said:
The animation in the game looks good, but you don't really feel connected to it, if that makes sense. But I don't think any of you are going to care what I say either way.
You really have only yourself to blame for your shot credibility, friend.

Ranger X

DrXym said:
It isn't region locked. It's broken. An educated guess is that the English in EU PS3s is en-GB, not en-US and it breaks some kind of localization issue in the game.

I can confirm this is only a bug because when you try to play a demo that is region lock, it doesn't even start and the XMB gives you a message telling you it's the wrong region.

antiloop

besada said:
My biggest issue so far is the same one I had with Crackdown, which is what you can climb and what you can't. There's no easy way to tell, and Nathan will stand there trying to climb even a flat wall. Also I got stuck for about five minutes in the hollow of a tree.

That's what I expected. I wonder what they could do about it. Maybe some arrows pointing at spots you can climb if you push and hold a button?

Cosmozone: I was going to mention that. Maybe we should start a new thread for real game impressions. :lol

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
BIG BUBBA said:

Lacks 1:1 waggle. Old-school button abstractions. Amirite.

Well, I DON'T KNOW, because I CAN'T PLAY IT YET :cry

sprocket

Banned
BIG BUBBA said:

NOPE :D Im playing it now and its the best looking game I have ever seen. bar none.

BIG BUBBA

Segata Sanshiro said:
You really have only yourself to blame for your shot credibility, friend.

Come on, you have to admit that posting my preorder cancellation was ingenious.

BIG BUBBA said:

I have to say you put me in that camp by your post history.

mr_nothin

Banned
BIG BUBBA said:
I may know what you mean, sort of like NFL Fever on the original xbox?

That game felt like a football management game.

I posted impressions too and they were fair. I do not see why everyone is focusing on Big Bubba's review. I think he is just being a bit too harsh.

However, I do agree about the shooting.

Top Bottom