• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
Kittonwy said:
Haz teh blog been region-locked?
Indifferent2.gif

:lol

Hunter D

Can people that have actually played the demo post impressions because most of this thread is made up of spam bullshit at the moment.

Sirolf

f@luS said:
What kind of shadowing are they using? this is the 1st time even fooliage shadowing arent a bunch of pixel at all...so great looking

What ?You live in france IIRC(like me)!!
So do you have an US or PAL system ??

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Check my post history, it looks like I hate sony pretty awfully much, but I'll say this. I played the Drakes Fortune demo at Wizard World Chicago and it was an orgasm to my eyes and hands, so big bubba can suck a fart (imo) because I for once am excited for a sony game.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Raist said:
Well, maybe people would be a little bit more easy on him if he hadn't posted his preorder cancel log for R&C 3 times, and if he stopped repeating the same stuff over and over like, "well, the game is crap. But hey, it's my opinion, aiight ?"

I mean, ok, not liking the gameplay is fair, but saying that the gfx and animations are terrible ? c'mon.

read my post again.. i said the same thing the graphics are the best I've seen on consoles hands down. BUT I can see what he means by animations... sometimes nathan just kinda floats over to a rock, or just floats up i dunno it's weird.

OOOK, what's even more INCREDIBLE is the fact that the FUCKING demo title is in spanish, as well as the information and everything, but the thing simply doesn't work. That's AMAZING SONY. Just fuck off.

f@luS

More than a member.
Sirolf said:
What ?You live in france IIRC(like me)!!
So do you have an US or PAL system ??
Both . Ive got US/PAL ps3 , and US/PAL 360. i cant go wrong for anything :D

BIG BUBBA

Did I mention it's time to cancel my Ratchet and Clank preorder yet?
Was anyone else having trouble doing the triangle square triangle combo or whatever it was? For some reason it never registered the second button I pressed. It could be a controller issue, though.

One cool thing is the blurring of the environment that occurs whenever you swing the camera around the character. It gives it a cinematic flare that's lacking in most other games. All complaints aside, the game definitely does succeed in creating a cinematic experience. The music is great.

sk3tch

I'm impressed. Very impressed. I didn't think Uncharted would be my type of game (usually not into Tomb Raider-esque games)...but after playing the demo it is likely that I will pick it up.

Graphics are amazing, controls are great, and the interactivity with the environment is very, very nice. Just seems so fluid, smooth, and natural. Feels right.

And yes, I didn't like the Ratchet demo for PS3. I guess I am not a PS3 troll anymore? :lol

Amir0x

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
I dunno, maybe he thought even though he didn't like shooting games, he might still like this one? I mean, I don't generally like FPS, but I still try them out and occasionally really find one I like. Happening a lot lately, actually.

Anyway, there are a lot of people who didn't like Jak II and that was one of my favourite PS2 games. I'm generally a "in Naughty Dog we trust" type of guy, so I'm looking forward to Uncharted when I finally make my cross-ocean move and can pick up a PS3.

As an aside, does anyone else find it weird that even though furries are usually tarred and feathered around here, kittonwy is treated like a beloved mascot?

So he goes ahead and throws money down on a pre-order? If you generally don't like a genre, you might rent a game... not run out of your way to pre-order a game as if you might not be able to get it on day one. There's some great disconnect with this guy, but hey it's his money. My only problem is all "I was expecting this" or "i was expecting that", when he could have done ten minute research and seen this game is not those things.

Basch

Mesijs said:
I just beated the game. It took me around 9 hours on hard difficulty.

Great overall. I can't say too much about the story as I would spoil things. But it's well worked-out and surprising, with very good characters and great voice-acting and motion-capturing during the whole game.

The combat does get quite intense and sometimes you got a lot of different enemies and a lot of different options to take them down. The game really shines at these moments. The combat is really, really good.

Story is great also, and there are quite some platforming elements. Also vehicle parts, a few puzzles and more.

I just couldn't stop playing, I wanted to go on and on and only shut down my PS3 after the game was done. A very high quality game.

My only small complaint is that the combat sometimes gets a little bit too repetitive.

Wow, thanks for the impressions. The other thread is getting a bit heated. Maybe a few of the other PAL PS3 owners should settle down in this forum and read of the promising future. :D The game sounds like everything I was hoping for. Could you tell me though if you thought the game could easily go up against some of the more popular and critically acclaimed titles like Call of Duty 4, Mass Effect, Super Mario Galaxy, and Assasin's Creed? Is this something that European PS3 owners should be eagerly anticipating? How are the vehicular chases and such? Others would probably like to know if there is screen tearing. Could you comment on that? By the way, what company are you reviewing the game for? Look forward to the full review.

P.S.: I'm not even European, but I just want things to calm down a little. Seriously! Its becoming a bit much. Thank you so much for the impressions.

This thread is about to get one big boost! :D

B-Ri

Hunter D said:
Can people that have actually played the demo post impressions because most of this thread is made up of spam bullshit at the moment.

god damn the enemies wont stop moving, they will dodge your bullets like no ones business. If you let them idle you see some will put their guns down and smoke a cig, in firefights, one was hding behind a wall and got on his stomach and crawled slowly to the edge to try and shoot at me.

They move, they wont sit still, they will take cover and come at you in groups.

the absolute GREATEST thing is when you die, NO LOADING SCREEEN! It literally fades to black for 1 second and your back at the last check point. Animation is awesome, switching guns reloading, everything super quick off the D-Pad.

I think theres an error in the demo because it said to hit Square Triangle Square to do some crazy combo, but triangle wouldnt do anything.

Anyway i love how you can climb to the top of walls and shoot over the walls, you can change the over the shoulder from left to right by hitting L3.

The game is great, cant wait.

GOTY potential, the perfect mix of Gears of War Meets tomb raider.

Controls are day i say PERFECT. I had no problem at all jumping into the game. I played on hard difficulty and enjoyed the whole damn thing.

kuYuri

Played the demo about half an hour ago.

The controls work well even on default settings. The cover system is great, alot of similarities to Gears which is a very good thing. It's not quite perfect as I found myself sometimes taking cover rather than rolling, but I'll get used to it. The gunplay seemed good for me. Can't comment on melee combat as I didn't get much of an opportunity to try it.

Graphics and animations are absolutely gorgeous, 'nuff said.

Day one purchase for me. :D :D

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Vaandaviii said:
OOOK, what's even more INCREDIBLE is the fact that the FUCKING demo title is in spanish, as well as the information and everything, but the thing simply doesn't work. That's AMAZING SONY. Just fuck off.

That really sounds like a bug then..I hope.

sk3tch

BIG BUBBA said:
Was anyone else having trouble doing the triangle square triangle combo or whatever it was? For some reason it never registered the second button I pressed. It could be a controller issue, though.

One cool thing is the blurring of the environment that occurs whenever you swing the camera around the character. It gives it a cinematic flare that's lacking in most other games. All complaints aside, the game definitely does succeed in creating a cinematic experience. The music is great.

Thank you for ignoring all of the fanboys calling you out and continuing to post your opinion. This is an impressions thread...not a shiny happy lovefest for the game.

EDIT: annnd seconds later you throw it all out the window... :lol

BIG BUBBA said:
I didn't preorder this game, you dingbat.

BIG BUBBA

Amir0x said:
So he goes ahead and throws money down on a pre-order? If you generally don't like a genre, you might rent a game... not run out of your way to pre-order a game as if you might not be able to get it on day one. There's some great disconnect with this guy, but hey it's his money. My only problem is all "I was expecting this" or "i was expecting that", when he could have done ten minute research and seen this game is not those things.

Amir0x said:
I bought Bioshock and Orange Box blindly, without even bothering with demos/trying them out first. Some of us have more money than sense, I'm afraid.

Hunter D said:
How does the gunplay compare to GOW and how is the platforming?

To me it honestly feels somewhat like Gears when it comes to covering but obviously there isn't as much emphasis on TEH HUGE BADAZZ GUNZ -- not that anyone thought it would, just throwing it out there. Like I said the combat just feels good, as Nathan's and the enemies' animation is INCREDIBLE. Fighting is just very fun and fluid overall.

The platforming is fine, I haven't made it too far yet but I don't have a problem with it. The visuals are just simply eye-popping; I've seen videos of this game for I don't even know how long and actually playing it is something else. The lighting is surreal, especially on the vegetation.

Amir0x

Banned
BIG BUBBA said:

Ah, wires got crossed with the Ratchet talk and you saying "I'm was going to buy this game". My bad. Nonetheless! BE SMART AND RESEARCH.

SappYoda

I'm pretty sure that the whole thing is just a bug, but... Will sony really fix it? As fixing it will mean releasing the game for european users basically.

Goldrusher

Vaandaviii said:

You do know a considerable percentage of Americans speaks Spanish right ?

BIG BUBBA said:

Listen, some friendly advice... just stop posting for a few days. You can thank me later.

Synless

BIG BUBBA said:
Come on, you have to admit that posting my preorder cancellation was ingenious.
I can't understand how someone who likes only platformers decided to take the best ps3 platforming game and cancel his pre-order on it and say it's graphics weren't good enough, that's 2 for 2 on great looking games you said weren't graphically good enough....

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Amir0x said:

ahh proof here that it's not just fanboyism when we say this guy is biased... or at least most likely, I like this:D

Amir0x

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
I bought Bioshock and Orange Box blindly, without even bothering with demos/trying them out first. Some of us have more money than sense, I'm afraid.

Oh good, so you played one of the greatest gaming values of all time and the best Xbox 360 game to date. Good stuff, good stuff. But hey, I hope you didn't go into them expecting, say, Oblivion. Because I suspect you have a few brain cells, and research these products.

dralla

Spent about 35 minutes with it. I would say it's the same quality of game as the Jak games - A game you'd buy if you have a PS3 but not good enough to make you buy one.

BIG BUBBA said:
The character models look great, I just don't think the environments are too amazing. Heavenly Sword is more impressive.

Wow dude. Heavenly sword looks good, but the thing runs at 20 fps. Uncharted is butter smooth and looks amazing.

I had no intention of buying this game, but after playing the demo that changed. First the game looks so damn good. The water and waterfalls just look flat out stunning. The controls and gameplay felt good. The hand to hand combat is something else. Really nicely done. The gun play felt perfect. The only problem I have with the game is when you get ambushed by a lot of enemies it gets really hard really fast. Because some enemies will shoot at you from a distance, while others will close down on you and fire at you from point blank range. And I would not encourage you to run around just shooting wildly, you'll get you ass dropped fast doing that. Take cover, but be aware, it's not safe to just camp there, you have to keep moving.

Oh also,
The music and sound effects are top notch.
The animations are really well done. Drake dodging bullets as he runs is cool to watch.

sprocket

Banned
You guys care too much about one guys thoughts be it troll or other wise.

when you have 1 guy saying he hates it.. and 40 saying they love it. .. its ok.. let it go. :D

inner-G

Banned
Sage00 said:
What happened to the PS Store?
ya, I keep getting server timeouts.

GIMME MY SHISKAL BITCHES!!!!!1!!

*edit*
Now it says 'server is down for maintenance'. :/

never seen PS store go down before, Drake FTW!

BIG BUBBA

Synless said:
I can't understand how someone who likes only platformers decided to take the best ps3 platforming game and cancel his pre-order on it and say it's graphics weren't good enough, that's 2 for 2 on great looking games you said weren't graphically good enough....

Ratchet's graphics were fine--not mindblowing, though (based on the demo). It was the shooting that was a real turn-off.

But enough about me, let's return to discussing Uncharted: Drake's Fortune!

Top Bottom