• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Amir0x

Banned
sprocket said:
You guys care too much about one guys thoughts be it troll or other wise.

when you have 1 guy saying he hates it.. and 40 saying they love it. .. its ok.. let it go. :D

I don't think he's a troll, I just think he's making unwise gaming decisions!

besada

Banned
Hunter D said:
The only impressions that matter so far are besada's. besada what do you think of the platforming and the animation in the game?

Platforming: Good, but not as good as Crackdown.
Animation: Good, verging on very good.

More pics coming, btw.

Firewire

Banned
msdstc said:
wait so you love platformers but hate R+C? R+C has to be one of the best games this generation... hell maybe ever especially in that category.

Yeah, he flamed the R&C thread about canceling his pre-order for it and stuff. Then he does the same thing here, just looking at his history kinda tells you he has some sort of agenda, but it pointless talking with him.

I'm off to play the demo....

dante786

Banned
I just got an error message that said playstation store is down for maintenence. Never got that before....but it reaaaalllly sucks. I want to play this demo already goddammit.

Dante

sk3tch said:
Thank you for ignoring all of the fanboys calling you out and continuing to post your opinion. This is an impressions thread...not a shiny happy lovefest for the game.

EDIT: annnd seconds later you throw it all out the window... :lol

It's not that he didn't like it dude, Infernodash had negative impressions and nobody attacked him because he didn't present them like an angry 8 year old, and doesn't incessantly troll PS3 threads.

BIG BUBBA

Did I mention it's time to cancel my Ratchet and Clank preorder yet?
I'm definitely not a troll, I'm just not a very smart consumer. I bought Wheel of Fortune for the Nintendo 64.

spwolf

ok... so grapics look better than on latest PSN trailers. Yes, better.
Floating is almost gone, still not perfect in demo... but wow at rest of the graphics. I never saw game looking this good (yes, better than RC). My wife asked what movie is it... then she asked if I was supposed to die in the movie (since game is pretty hard, i died few times). You got to be smart and use cover system a lot.

Overall combat is pretty damn good... I dont really play action/adventure games a lot (I hated Oblivion, I know its RPG but still), but I dig this.. controls feel really good, and shooting feels really good.

Pretty damn good overall. I hope AC plays close to this since I will be picking it up soon.

KurowaSan

Goldrusher said:
You do know a considerable percentage of Americans speaks Spanish right ?

i bet the demo has every other european language, just like the Ratchet demo.

once again, i DOUBT this is region region locked, but some kind of problem with the demo itself
and this is not funny guys :( picture yourself in this situation. i bet Kittonwy wouldn't be making jokes about the blog being region locked
Indifferent2.gif

... :(

lockload said:
OK ive got an imported Japan PS3 will that work with the demo? its the same bluray region as the US...please

BR region has nothing to do with game regions

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Euroguys, the reason why the demo is asking you to "insert disc" is because it's trying to find various European voice assets, which are just not there in the demo.

besada

Banned
Marconelly said:
Strange, I've seen water clearly flowing around him in many videos lately. Did you try that move that has you jumping on enemy's back and snapping his neck? I think they have to be turned away from you for that move to trigger.

There's a ripple mapping at the center as he moves, but if you stop, the water moves through you like a plane. You'll be able to see it in the upcoming pics.

What is this SITE MAINTENANCE NOTICE bullshit!? I want my uncharted! Other people seeing this? Has it happened before / how long will it last? Garrrrrr!

Hunter D

brandonh83 said:
To me it honestly feels somewhat like Gears when it comes to covering but obviously there isn't as much emphasis on TEH HUGE BADAZZ GUNZ -- not that anyone thought it would, just throwing it out there. Like I said the combat just feels good, as Nathan's and the enemies' animation is INCREDIBLE. Fighting is just very fun and fluid overall.

The platforming is fine, I haven't made it too far yet but I don't have a problem with it. The visuals are just simply eye-popping; I've seen videos of this game for I don't even know how long and actually playing it is something else. The lighting is surreal, especially on the vegetation.
I have a question for you. People have said in this thread that this game has a shotgun. How does it feel to shoot the crowd pleaser off at close range? Does it feel good? I usually use the shotgun as a gauge on how good the it feels to shoot things in this game.

Can someone who has played the demo answer this question:

I have been keeping up with all the previews and such, but everything I have seen so far centers around the graphics, animations, story, dialogue, character interaction, etc., in other words I haven't seen much to do with the actual gameplay.

So does this game have the gameplay to back up its technological flair? I don't want to spend $60 on a game of technological dick waving that puts gameplay in the back seat... but now that the demo is out hopefully I can be proven wrong here so I will buy it when I get my PS3 in a few weeks?

Amir0x said:
Oh good, so you played one of the greatest gaming values of all time and the best Xbox 360 game to date. Good stuff, good stuff. But hey, I hope you didn't go into them expecting, say, Oblivion. Because I suspect you have a few brain cells, and research these products.
Nah, I went in expecting FPSs, knowing I don't usually like FPSs, hoping these would be ones that would interest me since everyone was saying such nice things.

I lucked out!

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Wow, based on this thread, if this game gets anything less than a 9 from any major publication, there will be shitstorms and meltdowns confirmed.

Amir0x

Banned
chespace said:
Wow, based on this thread, if this game gets anything less than a 9 from any major publication, there will be shitstorms and meltdowns confirmed.

I actually expecting it to get 7.5~8.

Dante

chespace said:

My pitchfork is ready

Does the demo have multiple difficulty settings?

dante786

Banned
chespace said:

I think that's pretty inevitable.

Bottom line is...who cares....I JUST WANT MY DEMO.

Anyone have any ideas how long this maintenence will continue to suck shit?

slade

Beat it on normal. Long story short, this is PS3's Gears of War. The only real divergence it has in terms of combat is that you can't switch seamlessly from cover to cover and you can't do the crouch run. On the other hand, you get a far better melee system. I jump punched one guy and it was awesome. Otherwise, the combat is pretty similar. Enemy AI is also good. They duck and cover and try to flank you. I got flanked a couple of times in the demo but it was easy enough to deal with. You get regenerative health as is the norm in these types of games nowaday. Like Gears, you are only allowed to carry four weapons, two of which are your trust pistol and grenades.

The Sixaxis implementation seems okay. Didn't really mess with it much. It only came up when you're tiptoeing across some logs and when you throw grenades. Wasn't much of a problem.

Graphically, the game looks amazing. If you thought R&C was a looker, you've got to see this game in action. There is barely even any tearing in the game and not one framerate drop. The only small instance where I noticed the tearing was when I aimed with my pistol and moved the camera back and forth quickly. Strangely, it only happened that one time and when I repeated the trick, it was normal for the most part.

There are also instances of platforming albeit they are pretty light in the demo. Just jumping from ledge to ledge.

Anyway, day one purchase confirmed.

BIG BUBBA

Dante said:
My pitchfork is ready

Does the demo have multiple difficulty settings?

Yes, it does.

I played it on easy and still found it difficult, but I'm terrible at games like this.

antiloop

Magic Mile said:
Can someone who has played the demo answer this question:

I have been keeping up with all the previews and such, but everything I have seen so far centers around the graphics, animations, story, dialogue, character interaction, etc., in other words I haven't seen much to do with the actual gameplay.

So does this game have the gameplay to back up its technological flair? I don't want to spend $60 on a game of technological dick waving that puts gameplay in the back seat... but now that the demo is out hopefully I can be proven wrong here so I will buy it when I get my PS3 in a few weeks?

IMO it's all about the characters, story and animation. Screw gameplay and graphics. :)

There are previews out there on all major sites commenting on gameplay

Mesijs

Basch said:
Wow, thanks for the impressions. The other thread is getting a bit heated. Maybe a few of the other PAL PS3 owners should settle down in this forum and read of the promising future. :D The game sounds like everything I was hoping for. Could you tell me though if you thought the game could easily go up against some of the more popular and critically acclaimed titles like Call of Duty 4, Mass Effect, Super Mario Galaxy, and Assasin's Creed? Is this something that European PS3 owners should be eagerly anticipating? How are the vehicular chases and such? Others would probably like to know if there is screen tearing. Could you comment on that? By the way, what company are you reviewing the game for? Look forward to the full review.

P.S.: I'm not even European, but I just want things to calm down a little. Seriously! Its becoming a bit much. Thank you so much for the impressions.

This thread is about to get one big boost! :D

Well, I only played the CoD4 demo and I think it sucked. :lol But for the rest, I don't know how well the other games will turn out. I think if the other games are as good as they are hyped, they will be slightly 'better' (if you can say it like that) than Uncharted.

The point is, the game is great in every single aspect. But I never had the idea I was playing a pure classic, that I was impressed all the time and that I would like to kiss the feet of the developers because of this masterpiece. The game IS great, but I never had the feeling I had with for example Mafia and Resident Evil 4.

I'm reviewing for Gamer.nl in The Netherlands. Review is embargoed, but I already know what rating out of 10 I'll give it.

Nightz

Why oh why does my company's wi-fi have to be locked? I set Remote Play on my PS3 on and brought my PSP with me, all for nothing. :(

careksims

I just finished it and oh wow. I love shooting bits. Felt like a real shoot out to me. It's so satisfying when shooting these guys. I ran out of ammo and there was one guy left and I just waited til he started reloading and I went at him with my combo. After I killed them all in the first courtyard, I realized there were barrels X_X!

Yeah, there is bit of screen tearing when you look around but that doesn't distract from the game.

And this is from someone who hasn't spoiled himself from looking at vids and reading on the gameplay.

I love it and hope it gets better the more farther you get into it.

BIG BUBBA

The main character's hair was pretty well done. A little bit shiny, but probably the best in-game hair I've ever seen.

antiloop said:
IMO it's all about the characters, story and animation. Screw gameplay and graphics. :)

There are previews out there on all major sites commenting on gameplay

Well, games are expensive, and I am not very fond of single player-only games unless they are very great and worth playing over and over again. I want to know how it plays so I can buy it or look elsewhere for PS3 games.

Amir0x

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
I doubt it. I'm betting an almost identical reaction as Ratchet.

Hm, I doubt people will be as favorable to this game as they were to, say, Gears of War. The mechanics it stole from that game aren't really fresh at this point, and I think people are lessing willing to give the Naughty Dog game quirks a "free pass" anymore... possibly because of the internet, possibly because they're fed up with them, or possibly because of the subconscious negative connotation with the PS3. I know I'd automatically give any PS3 game a 8 or less by default at the moment, but I do not claim to be free of bias!

chespace said:
Based on what?

I think the magazine's have all hit their limits for the amount of games they're allowed to give nines in any given season already.

Doublethink said:
After playing the demo twice, I think this game is probably going to be around an 8 to and 8.5.

Hard to base review projections on the demo. The game made huge strides late in the development process (as many games tend to do) and it's unknown how old the demo code is.

Synless

_leech_ said:
Wow, you guys KILLED the store, it won't even load.
I just noticed this, I have my gf on the phone trying to get her to download it and she said the store isn't loading, danm bandwith is gone!!!!!!!!!

Madman

Just got done playing. Awesome game. On hard mode (what I played on) the game is, well, hard. Enemies put up a good fight, as in I died quite a few times. I really liked the platforming. Excellent graphics. Excellent animations. Overall great package. Will probably end up being my GOTY(this or GoW 2). I would go on, but the word limit on my PSP is running out.

Top Bottom