• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Lefty42o

Banned
MiamiWesker said:
I cannot believe that the PSN store cant handle one big demo, my lord.

i feel the same way. i waited all day so the store could be down. talk about a downer man lol.

oh well. guess i will got watch some espn than and maybe the store will be back later tonight

p,s, anyone know how top remove the ps ticker thing. if i can't remove it call me one pised off ps3 owner. i don't like it and it ruins how i had my background wall paper set up.

Tideas

Banned
Magic Mile said:
Well, games are expensive, and I am not very fond of single player-only games unless they are very great and worth playing over and over again. I want to know how it plays so I can buy it or look elsewhere for PS3 games.

then you're asking at the wrong time. You want to know? Wait til the game's release. Playing the demo might give you a feel of a game, but never the whole story.

Anyone who says anything else otherwise is bsing themselves

kay

I thought it was pretty good but there is nothing I have played I could compare it to other than Warhawk ground battles. I would guess Gears of War but with less action. I died a lot in the open area but that was from having no strategy. I think overall this the best PS3 game I have played so far but I haven't really had many options. The way the enemies take you on is probably the best part other than the graphics. If you are interested in the genre I'd say to get it.

dante786

Banned
Should I give up on the demo for awhile and play something else. God knows there are games right now. I shouldn't even play the demo since im fairly sure it will confirm purchase.

I've already got Halo 3, Orange Box, CoD4, SMG next week, and possibly AC pending reviews. This one actually looks like a more concrete get that AC at this point. Too many fucking games man.

But really, is this shit done for hours now or what?

Obaid

Banned
we should really run their blog and tell them PS Store is down. I cannot login since hours. Damn you sony and since it is all gaf's fault so damn you gaf! :lol

Synless

Lefty42o said:
i feel the same way. i waited all day so the store could be down. talk about a downer man lol.

oh well. guess i will got watch some espn than and maybe the store will be back later tonight

p,s, anyone know how top remove the ps ticker thing. if i can't remove it call me one pised off ps3 owner. i don't like it and it ruins how i had my background wall paper set up.

If you go into the XMB there is an option for it under network just hit Triangle and toggle the option to off.

Tideas

Banned
kay said:
I think overall this the best PS3 game I have played so far but I haven't really had many options. T

so you've never played Resistance, Motorstorm, Ninja Gaiden, Heavenly Sword, Warhawk, Ratchet & Clank, Folklore, and so on?

KurowaSan

Steroyd said:
Storm an American blog of a European affair... yeah they sure will listen.

well, i sort of agree with you, but still, i'd be nice if Evan Wells said something about it, confirming it's just a problem with the demo and that it shouldn't happen with the final game.

J-Rzez

BIG BUBBA said:
Haha just played and beat it. It's pretty mediocre (IMO). The controls are super-floaty, and when you jump it's really unnatural and slow. The animation transitions are awful, which is weird because I thought that was supposed to be the game's big innovation. The shooting gameplay sucks, but I guess if you like Tomb Raider and stuff you'll like it. Graphics are unspectacular... The character looks good, but the environment is pretty underwhelming, just a bunch of slimy green blocks.

I'm really glad they released this demo--I was going to buy this game before I played it. Now I know that I'm 100% uninterested.

Quickly post your canceled amazon order! And sell your PS3 because you trashed Ratchet, and now you're trashing Uncharted...

You are a troll, plain and simple... Anyone without an agenda will simply shoot you down... The animations are AWFUL? Graphics are unspectacular? Just a bunch of slimy green blocks? Are you fucking serious? And the shooting is like Tomb raider? LOL...

You're clearly unimpressed with the PS3, and surprisingly, it's 2 biggest exclusive games of the year... I don't dare look at your post history, but someone said you should stick to Wii threads, and that's enough said... If these games disappoint you that much, then just sell your PS3 now... Do it... Because your expectations are seemingly out of this world...

Anyways... After playing through it, the graphics are incredible... Someone may not like the "art style", but no one can deny that this might be the most impressive looking game from a technical look of the year on consoles... The lighting is awesome, the textures are great, the blur is actually well done... The animations are second to none, the transitions are believably fluid... I'm actually really impressed how much of a different look and feel the game has by having Nate go into a different "ready" state when in cover rather than the single canned pose other games give, this has quite a few... I only caught it a couple times in my first and only play through, but his flinching is SO fucking awesome... Running to cover watching him duck and bob as you hear the shots wiz by Nate is so damn cool, and gives a real sense of "I'm actually being shot at"...

The shooting is pretty much a la Gears but with a different feel, more of a sense of urgency... You can't just stick your head out there and shoot away... In the second "shoot-out" section, I was flanked so many times... The AI actually threw a grenade to my left to flush me out into a more open section and into it's fellow pirates... And the before mentioned "flinching, ducking, bobbing" along with the animations/poses for taking cover with the pirates chatter and Nate's little self pep-talks really really adds up to this sense of urgency...

The music though, is EPIC... Seriously, if you have a quality HT-rig, you are going to be in heaven... There's few MOVIES out there that have this quality of music, I'm not joking... I already know I'm going to love the soundtrack from what I've heard so far... The guns sound "just right"... The chatter of the pirates is awesome, hearing Nate "pep-talk" himself up for his next shot is such an awesome touch...

Off to play one more time before it's time for my "boyfriend duties" :(

EDIT: Wow, i love the music, just now listening to it play on the start screen the "flute" instrument, they actually capped the guy taking a breath before playing each line... lol

Lefty42o

Banned
never mind, figured out how to remove the ps ticker. thank god i was getting little annoyed.

now if i could only get the store to work.

tha_con

Banned
MiamiWesker said:
I cannot believe that the PSN store cant handle one big demo, my lord.

Were you not around during Bioshock? I pay $50 a year for that service, and it still crashed.

'my lord'.

Here's an idea. Go complain in the PSN Content thread, and GTFO of this one, this apply's to everyone. This is a demo impressions thread, not a 'why I can't download the Demo'.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
ahhh better than i expected! It's so damn good... why are there any negative reviews? The game is so hard, the cover system is excellent so far, the graphics are amazing, how are people saying they are bad? Some animations are floaty still, maybe they'll be fixed who knows. The gunplay is great, tough though, hopefully you're into difficult games, this one will definitely give you a run.

karasu

I'm loving the game, but it feels kind of 'stiff' to me. I played on Normal but I thought it was extremely difficult. Which is good. I just suck at shooters.

Lefty42o

Banned
Synless said:
If you go into the XMB there is an option for it under network just hit Triangle and toggle the option to off.

thanks for the help. i finally figured it out. had surgery yesterday so i am hopped up on pain meds and not thinking clearly.

still can't get in the store

careksims

kay said:
I thought it was pretty good but there is nothing I have played I could compare it to other than Warhawk ground battles. I would guess Gears of War but with less action. I died a lot in the open area but that was from having no strategy. I think overall this the best PS3 game I have played so far but I haven't really had many options. The way the enemies take you on is probably the best part other than the graphics. If you are interested in the genre I'd say to get it.

Yeah strategy was the key for me. I see them coming and I just go back few covers back. Take cover and pick your targets and be quick on the aim. I love the little comments he makes when he's in combat. I was saying the same thing.

hyonoid

1924047796_3f938c45b1.jpg

LOL

Dante

J-Rzez said:
Quickly post your canceled amazon order! And sell your PS3 because you trashed Ratchet, and now you're trashing Uncharted...

You are a troll, plain and simple... Anyone without an agenda will simply shoot you down... The animations are AWFUL? Graphics are unspectacular? Just a bunch of slimy green blocks? Are you fucking serious? And the shooting is like Tomb raider? LOL...

You're clearly unimpressed with the PS3, and surprisingly, it's 2 biggest exclusive games of the year... I don't dare look at your post history, but someone said you should stick to Wii threads, and that's enough said... If these games disappoint you that much, then just sell your PS3 now... Do it... Because your expectations are seemingly out of this world...

Anyways... After playing through it, the graphics are incredible... Someone may not like the "art style", but no one can deny that this might be the most impressive looking game from a technical look of the year on consoles... The lighting is awesome, the textures are great, the blur is actually well done... The animations are second to none, the transitions are believably fluid... I'm actually really impressed how much of a different look and feel the game has by having Nate go into a different "ready" state when in cover rather than the single canned pose other games give, this has quite a few... I only caught it a couple times in my first and only play through, but his flinching is SO fucking awesome... Running to cover watching him duck and bob as you hear the shots wiz by Nate is so damn cool, and gives a real sense of "I'm actually being shot at"...

The shooting is pretty much a la Gears but with a different feel, more of a sense of urgency... You can't just stick your head out there and shoot away... In the second "shoot-out" section, I was flanked so many times... The AI actually threw a grenade to my left to flush me out into a more open section and into it's fellow pirates... And the before mentioned "flinching, ducking, bobbing" along with the animations/poses for taking cover with the pirates chatter and Nate's little self pep-talks really really adds up to this sense of urgency...

The music though, is EPIC... Seriously, if you have a quality HT-rig, you are going to be in heaven... There's few MOVIES out there that have this quality of music, I'm not joking... I already know I'm going to love the soundtrack from what I've heard so far... The guns sound "just right"... The chatter of the pirates is awesome, hearing Nate "pep-talk" himself up for his next shot is such an awesome touch...

That's Hot.

kay

Tideas said:
so you've never played Resistance, Motorstorm, Ninja Gaiden, Heavenly Sword, Warhawk, Ratchet & Clank, Folklore, and so on?

I've played the demos of all of them and I have Ninja Gaiden and Warhawk. NG is an xbox game originally so I wouldn't count that and Warhawk is fun but not meaty enough. For the demos, Uncharted is the best PS3 demo, for me anyways, I can't comment on the full games.

evolution

I've played the demo over and over about 5 times now. Its short but sweet. I love how there so many different animations just for little things like running on an incline or through the water. The shooting is great and really simple to pick up on, the melee combat is deeper than i thought too. I was just button mashing and I was getting fucked up each time so i used the combo they give you and that did the trick. The enemy AI is very mobile and their animations look just as good as drakes. One thing that suprised me was how they took cover. Some would rush you and then do like this juke animation in an attempt to make you miss then quickly jolt behind a pillar or something. Or run up and slide behind cover. It just looked really cool to see them doing that. Platforming is what it is, platforming. Nothing really suprising there, its just executed well. definite day 1 purchase for me.

BIG BUBBA

Did I mention it's time to cancel my Ratchet and Clank preorder yet?
Just because I think Super Mario Galaxy will be the greatest game of all time does not mean that I am some Wii fanatic. I hate pretty much all the other games on the system (Trauma Center excepted).

I'll replay the demo after my exam tonight, then I'll enlighten you all with more impressions.

BTW, I used to post under the name Gumby. You may remember me from that name.

Synless

J-Rzez said:

Post of the day right here.

Amir0x

Banned
BIG BUBBA said:
Just because I think Super Mario Galaxy will be the greatest game of all time does not mean that I am some Wii fanatic. I hate pretty much all the other games on the system (Trauma Center excepted).

I'll replay the demo after my exam tonight, then I'll enlighten you all with more impressions.

why did you stop posting under the name Gumby

Amir0x said:
Hm, I doubt people will be as favorable to this game as they were to, say, Gears of War. The mechanics it stole from that game aren't really fresh at this point, and I think people are lessing willing to give the Naughty Dog game quirks a "free pass" anymore... possibly because of the internet, possibly because they're fed up with them, or possibly because of the subconscious negative connotation with the PS3. I know I'd automatically give any PS3 game a 8 or less by default at the moment, but I do not claim to be free of bias!

I think the magazine's have all hit their limits for the amount of games they're allowed to give nines in any given season already.

The mechanics of Gears of War was stolen as well and that was not a problem, but you may be right about the rest.

The fact that it is on the PS3 guarantees that sites like 1Up will stay below 9.

the_id

has the meltdown ended? can we get true impressions now?

it sucks that we Aussie/Euro ps3 owners can't play the game. I was looking forward toward TTP's critiquing of the demo. I blame firmware 2.00 messing things up.

Ok, I'm starting to think this is NOT a regional Lock, but a bug.

The console asked me to insert "the game disc". So WTF, I've inserted the fucking game disc (That is, oblivion) and now, IT DOESN'T ASK ME FOR THE GAME DISC. The screen simply remains in black, and the notification popups appear on the top normally, as if i was playing the demo...

It smells fishy... If this was a region lock, they wouldn't accept oblivion as "the game disc".

BIG BUBBA

Did I mention it's time to cancel my Ratchet and Clank preorder yet?
Amir0x said:
why did you stop posting under the name Gumby

I was banned several times before eventually being unbanned... But I didn't want to carry the stigma of being "Gumby" any longer, so I became BIG BUBBA.

edit: And my bans were for saying that Serafitia was hideous, when it turned out that she wasn't even the person in the photos.

Synless

Lefty42o said:
thanks for the help. i finally figured it out. had surgery yesterday so i am hopped up on pain meds and not thinking clearly.

still can't get in the store
My gf just got in about a minute ago and started the download for me so it will be ready for me when I get out of school at 8.

Lefty42o

Banned
yes store working for me now. download is going.

will give my impressions when i get a chance.

just to help out i am one of those guys who is not sold on this game. hoping the demo changes my mind. i will give it every opportunity.

i felt the same way about heavnly sword. when i finally played the demo iw as sold and bought the game day 1. so hopefully unhcarted will be the same way.

Amir0x

Banned
BIG BUBBA said:
I was banned several times before eventually being unbanned... But I didn't want to carry the stigma of being "Gumby" any longer, so I became BIG BUBBA.

looks like stigma's seem to follow you

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Obaid said:
we should really run their blog and tell them PS Store is down.
I think they have that covered...they do have an indicator on the PS site that tells you the store and network status, after all. They might just use something like that internally themselves ;)

Lefty42o

Banned
Synless said:
My gf just got in about a minute ago and started the download for me so it will be ready for me when I get out of school at 8.

good stuff. at the rate is dl i bet it takes that long to finish :D

Tieno

Amir0x said:
Hm, I doubt people will be as favorable to this game as they were to, say, Gears of War. The mechanics it stole from that game aren't really fresh at this point, and I think people are lessing willing to give the Naughty Dog game quirks a "free pass" anymore... possibly because of the internet, possibly because they're fed up with them, or possibly because of the subconscious negative connotation with the PS3. I know I'd automatically give any PS3 game a 8 or less by default at the moment, but I do not claim to be free of bias!

I think the magazine's have all hit their limits for the amount of games they're allowed to give nines in any given season already.
What are the Naughty Dog game quirks? Where are they in Uncharted? Never played a Naughty Dog game myself.

KTallguy

Banned
Toooooooooo short :(

But otherwise awesome!

I agree that some animations are a bit floaty, but the gameplay is excellent. Naughty Dog made the choice to allow the player complete freedom of movement, which is a tough thing to design, but I think the results are spectacular. The Melee system is also fun and visceral.

Can't wait to play the full game. Great job Naughty Dog!

besada

Banned
Regarding my comments on the AI. It appears to be weapon dependent. Guys with pistols don't rush often. Guys with AKs do. It took the guy with a pistol three full minutes to change position, and he still didn't rush, whereas the AK-47 wielding guys will come at you after a few seconds of hiding.

antiloop

BIG BUBBA said:

I also think SMG will be the best Mario game ever. But your impressions were fairly childish, don't you think?

If you could try to be more specific in your complaints at least I would take you more seriously.

That slimy part especially. :p

Seriously... the only next-gen console I've got is PS3 and so far I haven't seen anything to justify my choice. And after the news of MGS4 PAL delay for June 2008, now I can't fracking play the Uncharted demo. I hate being in Europe!!! I hate Sony!

/troll

tha_con

Banned
Vaandaviii said:
Ok, I'm starting to think this is NOT a regional Lock, but a bug.

The console asked me to insert "the game disc". So WTF, I've inserted the fucking game disc (That is, oblivion) and now, IT DOESN'T ASK ME FOR THE GAME DISC. The screen simply remains in black, and the notification popups appear on the top normally, as if i was playing the demo...

It smells fishy... If this was a region lock, they wouldn't accept oblivion as "the game disc".

^^^^ This one is a winner ladies and gentlemen.

After about 500 posts in BOTH thread about it being a bug and not a Region lock, he finally comes to see this on his own. Can we please get a round of applause?

Loudninja

Fucking great, ok the graphics are great, the Ai is sssssssssssssooooo good .The foes will flank you, throw grenades to blow up your cover spot, and will not give up at all. The gameplay is very good as well, the AI makes it so fun, they will stay on your ass.The game is hard, not easy guys, and this is only on normal.

Top Bottom