• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

BIG BUBBA

Did I mention it's time to cancel my Ratchet and Clank preorder yet?
antiloop said:
I also think SMG will be the best Mario game ever. But your impressions were fairly childish, don't you think?

If you could try to be more specific in your complaints at least I would take you more seriously.

That slimy part especially. :p

I've already disowned my first post in this thread. I stand by all subsequent replies, though.

I will replay the demo later tonight and post more "mature" impressions (that is, if other people are still having trouble downloading it).

vala

BIG BUBBA said:
Haha just played and beat it. It's pretty mediocre (IMO). The controls are super-floaty, and when you jump it's really unnatural and slow. The animation transitions are awful, which is weird because I thought that was supposed to be the game's big innovation. The shooting gameplay sucks, but I guess if you like Tomb Raider and stuff you'll like it. Graphics are unspectacular... The character looks good, but the environment is pretty underwhelming, just a bunch of slimy green blocks.

I'm really glad they released this demo--I was going to buy this game before I played it. Now I know that I'm 100% uninterested.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99777

Tieno

tha_con said:
^^^^ This one is a winner ladies and gentlemen.

After about 500 posts in BOTH thread about it being a bug and not a Region lock, he finally comes to see this on his own. Can we please get a round of applause?
While that's nice, we still can't play the demo :(

the_id

Vaandaviii said:
Ok, I'm starting to think this is NOT a regional Lock, but a bug.

The console asked me to insert "the game disc". So WTF, I've inserted the fucking game disc (That is, oblivion) and now, IT DOESN'T ASK ME FOR THE GAME DISC. The screen simply remains in black, and the notification popups appear on the top normally, as if i was playing the demo...

It smells fishy... If this was a region lock, they wouldn't accept oblivion as "the game disc".

663o6cx.gif

FrankT

BIG BUBBA
Did I mention it's time to cancel my Ratchet and Clank preorder yet?
(Today, 04:26 PM)

Haha, new tag confirmed.

It's effin amazing, best looking console game, it just smokes anything else in terms of polycount, shader work, shadowing, lighting. It's just so amazing looking, and it's still oh so smooth.

As soon as Drake gets out of the parachute and starts going you see how close to CGi it all looks. It's just so good :O.

Oh, and the issue with the demo is in the PAL PS3s apparently, it works fine on my buddy's USA import, but won't run on my PAL saying it needs the disc, probably because it looks for region specific files (PAL version will have loads of different languages). Sucks.

Yeah, but animation and graphics are just two levels above anything else, gotta repeat it, I'm stunned.

The shooting seems a bit like GeoW, but less "heavy". It seems more natural and fluid, you can feel that you're controlling a real dude, instead of steroid fed space marine. Platforming seems like your regular fare, and is well executed, nothing new.

The combination of shooting elements which are excellent, with platforming that isn't much dkifferent thatn what could be found in PoP, with those graphics and sceneries makes it an absolute hit.

AAA, I might hype a lot of games, but rarely think of them as highly as I do about this one. It is surely the best PS3 game released so far, it should satisfy and appeal to anyone, it's mix of gameplay is perfect, it's AV presentation is second to none, high above anything else released so far. If you have a PS3, buy it! If you don't, then you suck, cause right now there are already enough PS3 exclusive games to make any self respecting gamer buy one.

If only I was hardcore enough to play the demos more than 3 times in a row... Can't wait for the final game.

Lefty42o

Banned
Dechaios said:
God, I keep trying to connect to the playstation store but I am getting the error code "80710d23."

What is the deal?!

just keep trying. thats what i did eventually it will work.

keep the faith.

also very happy i was able to turn off the ps ticker. :lol i feel accomplished :D

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Amir0x said:
Hm, I doubt people will be as favorable to this game as they were to, say, Gears of War. The mechanics it stole from that game aren't really fresh at this point, and I think people are lessing willing to give the Naughty Dog game quirks a "free pass" anymore... possibly because of the internet, possibly because they're fed up with them, or possibly because of the subconscious negative connotation with the PS3. I know I'd automatically give any PS3 game a 8 or less by default at the moment, but I do not claim to be free of bias!

I think the magazine's have all hit their limits for the amount of games they're allowed to give nines in any given season already.

If you recognize this yet still fall for it, doesn't that make you a bit of a sheep?

And while the developer has said they took inspiration from Gears of War, Cliff himself said he took inspiration from Resident Evil amongst others. Pretty much every single game does this. Yes it has a cover system, but it has its own implementation and the combat is only a part of this game. In Gears of War, combat is all there is to it (and I loved it for what it was, but this is its own game in every other aspect).

In my opinion, the Gears of War comparison is as far off as comparing any 3rd person shoother to another, or comparing any fps to any other fps.

newsguy

BIG BUBBA said:
I'll replay the demo after my exam tonight, then I'll enlighten you all with more impressions.

Put me under the category of: I don't give a shit about your impressions. No need for more "enlightenment" thank you :)

tha_con

Banned
Tieno said:
While that's nice, we still can't play the demo :(

I understand that, and I know it's got to be frustrating, but do we really need hundreds of posts of 'anger' and 'meltdowns' in a demo impressions thread? We've already got Bubba in here trolling like mad trying to 'redeem himself' after having been 'exposed', which has turned this thread to shit already....I'm sure we can do without 200 members saying they can't play it.

Hell, we should be mad PAL folks killed our Playstation Store :p j/j

the_id

The question is, will Naughty Dog's Uncharted be better than Insomniac's Ratchet and Clank? Which will be the PS3s GOTY?

spwolf

the_id said:
The question is, will Naughty Dog's Uncharted be better than Insomniac's Ratchet and Clank? Which will be the PS3s GOTY?

RC was great, Uncharted is amazing... Uncharted for me, no offense Insomniac, I love you too.

Tieno

tha_con said:
I understand that, and I know it's got to be frustrating, but do we really need hundreds of posts of 'anger' and 'meltdowns' in a demo impressions thread? We've already got Bubba in here trolling like mad trying to 'redeem himself' after having been 'exposed', which has turned this thread to shit already....I'm sure we can do without 200 members saying they can't play it.

Hell, we should be mad PAL folks killed our Playstation Store :p j/j
Yeah, that's true too. I'll shut my hole so the thread doesn't get ruined.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Segata Sanshiro said:
I know. I bet he could write an entire fucking book without using one piece of proper punctuation.

Hey ease up buddy, he's like a real-life security guard with a gun license or something. Not Stephen fucking King bro.

duckroll

I have an Asian PS3 here, and I downloaded and installed the demo. Yes the system is in ENGLISH mode. Here are my awesome impressions:

PLEASE INSERT GAME DISC

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
I am in love with this game writing awesome even though it was like 3 minutes of the cut scene it reminded me al ot of Indy as I expected witch is freaking awesome! The game play was awesome as well love that the damn npc are trying to rape you all the time and I played it on normal they never let me try to get a good point they were all ways around me made me move throughout out the whole area love that type of game play.

The graphics I say it is the most impressive thing I have seen on a console this generation and that is hard to say after playing Ratchet and Clank and Call of Duty 4. Animations, lighting, textures, shadowing its all there. I have this game pre-ordered all ready and good money well spent. Even on normal the npcs provided difficulty which I like and I can see my self playing this game for days on end like a metal gear game.

dralla

Is it worth it to hook my PS3 up to my PC and capture some footage from the demo? or is everyone content with media on all the websites

the_id said:
Uncharted, easily. It's just oh so oh so good, and that's just the demo. It is way more unique, it's like nothing I've played before, but rather like a combination of the best in the genres it mixes. It can leave you stunned for 10 seconds at some moments.

PS3 GOTY is just that IMO, it has more of a universal appeal than Rachet and is oh so fresh. But on the internet, the PS3 GOTY will probably be something crappy, just so the websites can steal some thunder from the real big hits. I can already see Uncharted getting 8's across the board, only because it's so good, and the better the PS3game, the lower it scores.

Is it worth it to hook my PS3 up to my PC and capture some footage from the demo? or is everyone content with media on all the websites
PRactice, then practice some more, then come up with a perfect route and a perfect awsome run and record it, so we can achieve gaming bliss.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
the_id said:

R+C is a hell of a time, but after all the weapons were upgraded it got boring, especially considering the ryno:lol . Really friggen fun while it lasted

I think uncharted is going to wipe the floor with R+C and I love the game, so I go with uncharted.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Just watched a play through of the demo. Looks wonderful, though combat looks very frustrating, especially aiming. Camera is a bit odd in some cases as well.

Looks fun.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH M GOD BEST GAME EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/end hyperbole

That being said... OH MY FUCKING GOD SO FUCKING AWESOME!!!!!!

Wollan said:
PAL tears running down the keyboard here. The tub is filling up. I'm ready. Goodbye cruel world.

MAKE A US ACCOUNT NOW!!!

What's great this demo features ALL language tracks and subtitles, too!

J-Rzez

Segata Sanshiro said:
I know. I bet he could write an entire fucking book without using one piece of proper punctuation.

Hey! It's my stalker! Sorry my "internet" posting is not to your likings... I'll make sure to change my standards though as if I was still writing papers in college, because I'm sick of people not discussing my opinions but rather the style of posting...

But I take that my opinons are well thought out since that's all people really quote. I at least pack in enough details to support it and not throw out a bunch of kiddie nonsense like many others do.

Anyways, I don't see the floaty animations. I do see that the animations are "quick" though, as in speedy because it's still a videogame. If they went for total realism in that sense I'm not really sure it'd be as fun and would be too challenging for a lot of people. The shootouts, specifically towards the end of the demo could be considered very tuff alone, yet add in ridiculously hard timing for the jumps to get the animation and weight in effect and it may turn off a lot more people.

Unless "floaty" is when he's running and not taking steps like he's 300-pounds and not athletic. Maybe people are too used to seeing someone with three inches of metal on them with elephant feet? My impressions are that Nate is limber, nimble, and athletic while wearing a light shirt and relaxed fit jeans.

tha_con said:
Were you not around during Bioshock? I pay $50 a year for that service, and it still crashed.

'my lord'.

Here's an idea. Go complain in the PSN Content thread, and GTFO of this one, this apply's to everyone. This is a demo impressions thread, not a 'why I can't download the Demo'.

Wah wah wah, those are my impressions, I cant get the damn store to work. What about the ton of europeans who cant get the game to work, want them out of the thread too.

Top Bottom