• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
So the only confirmed reports of this working is on North American PS3s? Not even Japanese models?

Now are we sure this is a bug here people?

Are you sure it's not a region lockout, and this is a stealth move? Why should they announce it.. or make a fancy error message? Why wouldn't they just subtly screw you.... oh yes, they could.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm at 95% of the demo on my NA PS3 :D

spwolf

Lathentar said:
Just watched a play through of the demo. Looks wonderful, though combat looks very frustrating, especially aiming. Camera is a bit odd in some cases as well.

Looks fun.

aiming is really nice and easy... no issues there whatsoever. gameplay itself is really good, you just fit in easily...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
reilo said:
MAKE A US ACCOUNT NOW!!!

What's great this demo features ALL language tracks and subtitles, too!

:(:(:(

:lol

(But that does reinforce the idea that it's a bug, if all languages and subs are in there...fix it sony, FFFFFIIIIIXXXXX ITTTTTTTT!)

the_id

msdstc said:
R+C is a hell of a time, but after all the weapons were upgraded it got boring, especially considering the ryno:lol . Really friggen fun while it lasted

I think uncharted is going to wipe the floor with R+C and I love the game, so I go with uncharted.

I'm a R&C whore so my vote goes to R&C as the PS3 GOTY. Beautiful graphics. great storyline, tradional gameplay. Awesome weapons.
Plus i'm biased. I can't play the fucking demo...yet!

Madman

Loudninja said:
Nobody read my impressions :(
Join the club. :lol People are too busy responding to Amir0x telling himself the game isn't going to be any good.

And ffs, killswitch is where they got the cover mechanic from, as did Gears.

besada

Banned
I just saw an AI enemy make the exact same bad grenade throw three times in a row. I'm playing through to see if I can make it without firing a shot (other than to open doors), which is pretty difficult, as it involves platforming under fire. This one guy bounced a grenade off a doorway three times trying to get it to me. Sucka!

the_id

BocoDragon said:
So the only confirmed reports of this working is on North American PS3s? Not even Japanese models?

Are you sure it's not a region lockout, and this is a stealth move? Why should they announce it.. or make a fancy error message? Why wouldn't they just subtly screw you.... oh yes, they could.

The best way to find out if sony stealthyliy made region locking through firmware 2.0 is to test it with an import game. Or try it out with another demo from the US store.

someone from euroland with US import games should give this a try.

careksims

Lathentar said:
Just watched a play through of the demo. Looks wonderful, though combat looks very frustrating, especially aiming. Camera is a bit odd in some cases as well.

Looks fun.

Aiming looks fustrating!? This is one of those times you just have to PLAY it. It just doesn't feel weird, aiming. Of course I've played games like Graw 1/2, RE4, Gears of War

J-Rzez said:
Hey! It's my stalker! Sorry my "internet" posting is not to your likings... I'll make sure to change my standards though as if I was still writing papers in college, because I'm sick of people not discussing my opinions but rather the style of posting...

But I take that my opinons are well thought out since that's all people really quote. I at least pack in enough details to support it and not throw out a bunch of kiddie nonsense like many others do.

Anyways, I don't see the floaty animations. I do see that the animations are "quick" though, as in speedy because it's still a videogame. If they went for total realism in that sense I'm not really sure it'd be as fun and would be too challenging for a lot of people. The shootouts, specifically towards the end of the demo could be considered very tuff alone, yet add in ridiculously hard timing for the jumps to get the animation and weight in effect and it may turn off a lot more people.

Unless "floaty" is when he's running and not taking steps like he's 300-pounds and not athletic. Maybe people are too used to seeing someone with three inches of metal on them with elephant feet? My impressions are that Nate is limber, nimble, and athletic while wearing a light shirt and relaxed fit jeans
Ain't that the truth? I don't see him being floaty, he's a regular 80-90 kg athletic guy in casual clothing. All the animations look natural. What's next? Why does Mario jump so effin high so easily and still has energy to scream wahoo?

J-Rzez said:
Hey! It's my stalker! Sorry my "internet" posting is not to your likings... I'll make sure to change my standards though as if I was still writing papers in college, because I'm sick of people not discussing my opinions but rather the style of posting...

But I take that my opinons are well thought out since that's all people really quote. I at least pack in enough details to support it and not throw out a bunch of kiddie nonsense like many others do.

Anyways, I don't see the floaty animations. I do see that the animations are "quick" though, as in speedy because it's still a videogame. If they went for total realism in that sense I'm not really sure it'd be as fun and would be too challenging for a lot of people. The shootouts, specifically towards the end of the demo could be considered very tuff alone, yet add in ridiculously hard timing for the jumps to get the animation and weight in effect and it may turn off a lot more people.

Unless "floaty" is when he's running and not taking steps like he's 300-pounds and not athletic. Maybe people are too used to seeing someone with three inches of metal on them with elephant feet? My impressions are that Nate is limber, nimble, and athletic while wearing a light shirt and relaxed fit jeans.
Hey, they're good, detailed impressions man, it's just that excessive use of ellipses make your posts harder to read. The purpose of grammar is to improve the readability of written work, and while you may not feel that internet posts merit such thought, I would think if you feel it's worth writing a few paragraphs, then it should also be worth making that little extra effort to make them easier on the eyes.

As to me being your stalker, don't think you're a special snowflake. I'm just a douchebag about these kinds of things. Now if you were Crushed, you would have a case here. I'm definitely stalking him.

Spike

Can someone capture the demo in high-res video form for those of us who don't have a PS3 yet? Please.

This and Ratchet will be the first 2 games I get when I purchase the PS3 next year!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Okay, I am at 72% now.

frankly you should all be on edge for my impressions, since I am the god of uncharted

Raist

Banned
BocoDragon said:

If it was intentionnal, we would get a clear message error, and not "insert game disc", and then a freeze with a random disc put in the drive.

It looks like the same problem than the Ratchet demo on japanese PS3's, except that this one kinda got around this error and still worked.

Hunter D

Ynos Yrros said:
Ain't that the truth? I don't see him being floaty, he's a regular 80-90 kg athletic guy in casual clothing. All the animations look natural. What's next? Why does Mario jump so effin high so easily and still has energy to scream wahoo?
You didn't like GOW, but you like this game which has similar mechanics?

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
reilo said:
What's great this demo features ALL language tracks and subtitles, too!

Which lends more to the idea that the demo is NOT region locked and someone just fucked up somewhere.

Steroyd

BocoDragon said:

I hate you.

It wouldn't make my PS3 crash all the time if it wasn't a bug.

antiloop

This may be the 1st time characters and story has sold me on a game. I just love how they interact with each other. (in footage)

Especially Drake and Elena. <3

"AA guns? That's sooo not cool!"

besada

Banned
My experiment was a failure. I couldn't go without a gun through the final fight scene, it's just too intense. Also, dead bodies don't jump or bleed when you shoot them. Just in case you like shooting dead bodies.

Hunter D said:

setting could be a factor....I played some of GoW, and thought the game seemed excellent, but it wasn't quite my type of game...the setting in this seems more appealing to me...

That said, if I had a 360 I would have bough GoW day 1, just because it bushed some boudaries, and looked fantastic graphically

Loudninja

besada said:
My experiment was a failure. I couldn't go without a gun through the final fight scene, it's just too intense. Also, dead bodies don't jump or bleed when you shoot them. Just in case you like shooting dead bodies.

yeah, that sucks, I tried, we are evil :)

u_neek

Black screen...

Exactly what happened when I wanted to play the Super Rub'a Dub-demo as well..

Tieno said:
Any Euro tried playing the demo from their US account?
Still doesn't work... :(

Hunter D said:
I didn't like GeoW? Wow, what else didn't I like? RR7? PGR3? Bioshock? The Darkness? I effin love GeoW, not as much as Uncharted though, because it's gameplay wasn't as varied, and story/characters weren't as complex. I love Uncharted now, so far, the best nonracing game I've played this gen, it's just so my cup of tea.

Oh man, I've never been happier about importing. Actually that's a bald faced lie, playing MGS was more fun
than waiting for this slow ass download. I'll see how I feel after actually playing the demo.

Anyway, more impressions and less of whatever the fuck is going on in here. Are there any puzzles? Can someone confirm what part of the game it is? From what's been said already I'm guessing the beginning of chapter four.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
the_id said:
The best way to find out if sony stealthyliy made region locking through firmware 2.0 is to test it with an import game. Or try it out with another demo from the US store.

Not all games... just this one.

The whole point of the PS3 region locking scheme is that there isn't one, except on certain titles when the publisher decides so. It hasn't yet happened as far as I know.

Everyone assumes there would be some sort of formal REGION LOCK meessge.... but you know, maybe not. Maybe they'll just break it on foreign systems, for something like a demo.

EDIT: My demo has installed.... excuse me gentlemen. :D

J-Rzez

chespace said:
Hey ease up buddy, he's like a real-life security guard with a gun license or something. Not Stephen fucking King bro.

Now you're going over the fucking line. My career is "law enforcement" and that's all you need to know. That does not mean "security guard". Am I supposed to give you my MOPEC number, badge number, or maybe a photocopy of ID? I'm sorry I didn't like Forza 2, that it's vastly overrated and failed to meet the unreachable expectations set forth on it by your "community-management" skills. Funny that they gave you that job when your shown car knowledge leads me to believe that before you worked there your experience getting around involved a bus pass, or a bicycle without a seat.

Goldrusher

Tieno said:
Any Euro tried playing the demo from their US account?

It's locked to the console. US only.

It needs some kind of unique European, Asian or Japanese intro screen or video.

Ratchet demo for example didn't have any cut scenes when played on a Japanese console, simply because the cut scenes for that region were missing. Why would they increase the file size by a huge margin, if it's a US demo anyway ?
But that demo was smart enough to skip the "look for appropriate video"...Uncharted it seems, is not.

besada

Banned
Speevy said:
Just because you hide behind things doesn't make this game Gears of War

Honestly, it doesn't feel like Gears at all to me. The firing feels like Saint's Row, maybe the cover feels like Gears, but nothing else. I love that Drake can hang from a ledge and still pop shots into people's heads.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Did someone say the demo had puzzle solving? I didn't see any puzzle solving. Just fighting and platforming.

Very fun though. I believe in Naughty Dog.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Loudninja said:
I still did not beat the demo, its HARD

Not its not you just need to know when not to shoot and take cover wisely pay attention to what your enemies are doing even though you are taking cover if not you will be raped.

tha_con

Banned
J-Rzez said:
Now you're going over the fucking line. My career is "law enforcement" and that's all you need to know. That does not mean "security guard". Am I supposed to give you my MOPEC number, badge number, or maybe a photocopy of ID? I'm sorry I didn't like Forza 2, that it's vastly overrated and failed to meet the unreachable expectations set forth on it by your "community-management" skills. Funny that they gave you that job when your shown car knowledge leads me to believe that before you worked there your experience getting around involved a bus pass, or a bicycle without a seat.

lol, I support this post.

Costanza

Banned
Why the hell are my speeds so slow? I've done pause/resume about 25 times now and I can't get it any faster than around a MB every 12-15 seconds :(

KurowaSan

the_id said:

i have a pal ps3 and US games only, they work. i'm sure Uncharted doesn't require fw2.0 to work. i still believe it's just a bug, when you don't have any disc inserted, i try to run the game, i see on my sound system that it's going to ouput Dolby digital and then it asks to insert the game disc. when you have a disc inserted, after changing to dolby digital (as every game does) it does change to dts digital, so i'm sure the game is trying to load but is unable to do so.

i'm sure the retail game will work just fine

Goldrusher said:
It's locked to the console. US only.

Ratchet demo for example didn't have any cut scenes when played on a Japanese console, simply because the cut scenes for that region were missing. Why would they increase the file size by a huge margin, if it's a US demo anyway ?
But that demo was smart enough to skip the "look for appropriate video"...Uncharted it seems, is not.

loading a spanish cut scene or an english one depends only on the language you have the ps3 configured, not on the region. it obiously lacks some files, but i doubt it's a language matter. in fact, as i said before, i'm sure the demo has almost every other language.

EDIT: jesus, i can't type today

The demo is hard...and I'm playing on normal! May run my second-playthrough of the demo on hard to see how brutal it can get.

The demo is awesome, the animations are seamless and elegantly done. First day purchase confirmed.

tha_con

Banned
Goldrusher said:
It's got a bug that makes it run wrong on PAL. US only.

It's not locked, so I fixed your post. :D

Top Bottom