• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Gattsu25

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Hey, they're good, detailed impressions man, it's just that excessive use of ellipses make your posts harder to read. The purpose of grammar is to improve the readability of written work, and while you may not feel that internet posts merit such thought, I would think if you feel it's worth writing a few paragraphs, then it should also be worth making that little extra effort to make them easier on the eyes.

As to me being your stalker, don't think you're a special snowflake. I'm just a douchebag about these kinds of things. Now if you were Crushed, you would have a case here. I'm definitely stalking him.
You constantly pointing out his use of ellipses is far more annoying (and disruptive) than his use of them...in short...get off his dick.

Loudninja

Elbrain said:
Not its not you just need to know when not to shoot and take cover wisely pay attention to what your enemies are doing even though you are taking cover if not you will be raped.

Umm yeah it is

J-Rzez

Segata Sanshiro said:
Hey, they're good, detailed impressions man, it's just that excessive use of ellipses make your posts harder to read. The purpose of grammar is to improve the readability of written work, and while you may not feel that internet posts merit such thought, I would think if you feel it's worth writing a few paragraphs, then it should also be worth making that little extra effort to make them easier on the eyes.

Fine then, since you put it that way, just for you I'll make an effort to change from my work memos. That and it's habit from tiny in car screen seeing sentence breaks. :p

Goldrusher

tha_con said:
It's not locked, so I fixed your post. :D

You are wrong.

It's not a NTSC-PAL problem. The demo only works on an American console.
Not on Asian or Japanese NTSC, not on European or Australian PAL.

Raist

Banned
the_id said:
The best way to find out if sony stealthyliy made region locking through firmware 2.0 is to test it with an import game. Or try it out with another demo from the US store.

someone from euroland with US import games should give this a try.

Tried with my R&C copy (coming from kittonwyland) and it works just fine. It's definitely not a region lock stealth update. Something's messed up, and it's certainly not going to be fixed. We'll have to wait for the EU demo release. SCEE better upload this one next week, srsly.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
First impressions: the cutscene dialog is amazing :lol

--drake rolling his eyes at Ugli™
--Ugli being so unbelievably corny and not having a clue
--Drake saying CRAP CRAP CRAP as he plummets
--Drake saying 12345 in one minute
--Drake's monolog once he hits the island
--The graphics
--WHAT AM I DOIIIING
--HOW HARD CAN THAT BE OHH CRAP

omg he fires his gun a different way every time :lol

the procedural animation thing stuff is neat...I like how quickly he jerks back and forth when you change directions.

the roll feels a little slow. maybe it's the lack of rumble, but slamming into cover feels so different than gears lol

graphics are fantastic

music is really good so far, I've only heard a small snippet of it

the motion blur when you spin the camera around is intense. sorry, I was doing the Dark10x Framerate test™. steady, btw.

Gattsu25 said:
You constantly pointing out his use of ellipses is far more annoying (and disruptive) than his use of them...in short...get off his dick.
I've pointed it out twice. Ever. So I wouldn't say I'm on his dick. You guys need to chill out before you have a breakdown.

edit: Thank you, J-Rzez. Longer posts like the ones you make definitely benefit from that little extra.

tha_con

Banned
Goldrusher said:
You are wrong.

Apparently I should have bolded what I fixed. A lock would suggest that the game was intentionally programmed to not allow PAL regions to play.

That is not true.

You explained the second half correctly, it is a bug, and it is not known why it happens. But, again, it's not a lock.

B-Ri

Costanza said:
No it's not. 11/19 ship date means it gets in the same day that Mass Effect is streeted for.

its dropping the 19th. Mass Effect is dropping the 20th.

if you wanna use ship dates fine, but its still a day earlier then mass effect.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
J-Rzez said:
Now you're going over the fucking line. My career is "law enforcement" and that's all you need to know. That does not mean "security guard". Am I supposed to give you my MOPEC number, badge number, or maybe a photocopy of ID? I'm sorry I didn't like Forza 2, that it's vastly overrated and failed to meet the unreachable expectations set forth on it by your "community-management" skills. Funny that they gave you that job when your shown car knowledge leads me to believe that before you worked there your experience getting around involved a bus pass, or a bicycle without a seat.

:lol I did actually take the bus everywhere before I moved to Seattle. I actually prefer it.

I will play this demo when I get home and post detailed impressions -- but only if they're favorable.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Y2Kev said:
First impressions: the cutscene dialog is amazing :lol

--drake rolling his eyes at Ugli™
--Ugli being so unbelievably corny and not having a clue
--Drake saying CRAP CRAP CRAP as he plummets
--Drake saying 12345 in one minute
--Drake's monolog once he hits the island
--The graphics
--WHAT AM I DOIIIING
--HOW HARD CAN THAT BE OHH CRAP

Is the game seriously that hard for you guys, I think for me its the fact that I play these types of games in hard that has desensitized me to oh shit that hard.

Y2Kev

Drake runs like me. That is, like a girl.

edit: Elbrain, that's his dialog.

Also, I've been testing how the animations link together. I can definitely see how you can make them a bit awkward. You can chain his long jump animation into his "step up" animation and get some awkward results. He doesn't glide along the ground, I don't think though.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm leaving mine installed, just in case they release a patch for it. Although as its not on the uk or Japanese stores I doubt they'll bother

kassatsu

Banned
Ok yea, this PAL thing is likely a bug. They have languages for most of Europe available in the demo for the text on screen and such.

besada

Banned
AI is spotty. Virtually all of them fall for the old follow me through the doorway trick. I left a pile of dead bodies in front of the iron gates by the simple act of running in to trigger their spawns and then running back out. One by one they followed me, only to be blown to bits by the Mossberg.

If you're careful, the play is easy. If you barrel into the area, it can get pretty hot, although it appears the enemy appearances are scripted based on how many you've killed. You can whittle a group down to one and as long as he isn't killed, the rest don't come, although some are also on locational triggers.

I wish the demo was longer because I've really enjoyed playing it five times now.

Really solid game. Both the shooting/combat and platforming are quite pleasurable. Graphics are amazing. Seeing small stuff Drake's shirt fold and wrinkle as he runs is really cool, as it getting wet. Jungle environments don't look as good as I hoped but it still very nice and pleasing to the eye. Only thing I didn't really like was the games lame attempts at comedy dialogue during the opening cutscene. Also the demo is really short. 20 minutes? Not even close.

Anyway, day 1.

Y2Kev

I'm really impressed with how he moves. It's very, very human. It's kind of scary to watch...his shoulders sway, his shirt crinkles, he moves his hands to balance himself, he kind of jolts a little when you fall off a ledge...

It's totally creepy.

Dachande

Wonderful, I wasted my time and bandwidth downloading a demo that doesn't work on my PS3.

Why the hell does it need to look for PAL-specific cutscenes if I'm running in 720p? It's all the same.

Lefty42o

Banned
ok still playing it but here are my early impressions.

game runs in 720p. don't know how another poster got it to run in 1080p. will look into that after this play through.

so far not really into this game. the character is floaty. anyone saying otherwise is just glossing over it.

the camera is alright but a pain at times.

graphics are alright. not all that amazing. best part was obviously the clothes getting wet but overall i have seen better in other games. there is also screen tearing specially when around water.

the game is solid so far but not all that amazing. i did not like the first cutscene. just came off as meh.

overall i feel like i did from the videos i watched. i think the lack of quality games on the ps3 have lead alot of people to be all into this game when in reality its a avg game.

heavnly sword blew me away when i first played the demo. this game does not. it will be a soldi title for those lookign to fill your library but it will not be a system seller or must have.

will finish this run thru of the demo and go thru it again to see if my feelings change but i am not sold.

ok thats my impressions so far. sorry if you don't agree.

KurowaSan

Goldrusher said:
Where did I say anything about language ?

It needs some kind of unique European, Asian or Japanese intro screen or video.

if you didn't mean a video/screen in another language, then fine, my bad.

oh, and it seems it's in english and spanish only, i don't get the demo title to change with other languages.

El-Suave

I love my imported US PS3 more than ever today (Ratatouille BD arrived today and now the Uncharted Demo is playable).
The intro video is awesome, the game itself no doubt very good and the difficulty is challenging on Normal, which is fine.

One complaint so far would be that the game has pretty bad tearing in a few instances.

Draft

J-Rzez said:
Now you're going over the fucking line. My career is "law enforcement" and that's all you need to know. That does not mean "security guard". Am I supposed to give you my MOPEC number, badge number, or maybe a photocopy of ID? I'm sorry I didn't like Forza 2, that it's vastly overrated and failed to meet the unreachable expectations set forth on it by your "community-management" skills. Funny that they gave you that job when your shown car knowledge leads me to believe that before you worked there your experience getting around involved a bus pass, or a bicycle without a seat.
Don't taze him, bro.

Y2Kev

omfg at j-rzez

OMG at this :lol dream game total

Um, hey IW....see the grenade indicator in this game? See how it flashes as it's about to explode? Yeah. Steal that.

tanod

when is my burrito
Goldrusher said:
You are wrong.

It's not region locked, it's region-broke. :)

@Bocodragon: Publishers are REQUIRED to make all of their PS3 games region-free.

besada

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Um, hey IW....see the grenade indicator in this game? See how it flashes as it's about to explode? Yeah. Steal that.

QFT. They could also reduce the explosion range. Much easier to get away from grenades in this. Of course you can roll in Drake's.

Edit: And best use of subtle HDR in a game this generation.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Y2Kev said:
Drake runs like me. That is, like a girl.

I know you meant this as more of a joke, but that's one thing I really look forward to about Uncharted is his "everyman" essence when he shoots, runs, jumps, etc.

:lol @ Draft.

spwolf

Hunter D said:
You didn't like GOW, but you like this game which has similar mechanics?

did you play Uncharted? I have hard time believing that those two games feel similar whatsoever. Uncharted uses cover system a lot, thats it.

the_id

KurowaSan said:
i have a pal ps3 and US games only, they work. i'm sure Uncharted doesn't require fw2.0 to work. i still believe it's just a bug, when you don't have any disc inserted, i try to run the game, i see on my sound system that it's going to ouput Dolby digital and then it asks to insert the game disc. when you have a disc inserted, after changing to dolby digital (as every game does) it does change to dts digital, so i'm sure the game is trying to load but is unable to do so.

i'm sure the retail game will work just fine

loading a spanish cut scene or an english one depends only on the language you have the ps3 configured, not on the region. it obiously lacks some files, but i doubt it's a language matter. in fact, as i said before, i'm sure the demo has almost every other language.

EDIT: jesus, i can't type today

Thanks alot. so sony didn't do another shoot-myself-in-da-foot-i'm-a-wife-beater thing. worry gone. so its definetly a bug. hope the JPN and the EU stores get their demos soon.

spwolf

Y2Kev said:
omfg at j-rzez

OMG at this :lol dream game total

i loved it when granade went off behind the wall, and "my ears" were ringing from close detonation... Or when I shot the dude in the arm and his granade fell from his hands and blasted away 2 of them.

yeah, its the little details that matter.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Y2Kev said:
jesus christ, I am trying to take a photo of the game and the AI is advancing on me

Just ask them politely to stay in place they are civil enough to listen, on the other hand they are pirates so that your chance!

Speevy

Banned
Game is AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME. Looks great, plays smoothly. Are the guys with final copies of this game under NDA?

Top Bottom