• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Wollan

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
Whatever ND are doing for the shadows in this game, they need to share it with the world.
I don't have the demo but watching the IGN footage here. No pixelation to be seen and the enivornment move as much as the characters themself. Characters x Effects x Animating flora & fauna x HDR lighting x ultra smooth moving shadows.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I might try that later. I'm still trying to finish the damn demo! I find them to be constantly scattering and moving. :\

Dante

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
Whatever ND are doing for the shadows in this game, they need to share it with the world.

Does it have flickery shadows like most next gen games? Or did ND saolve that?

OMG:

b4ue4.jpg

spwolf said:
GT5? UT3?
I'm not really big into racing games. I played the hell out of GT1 and GT2, picked up GT3 and didn't do much with it, so I'm not real interested in GT5.

As for UT3, I'm not huge into FPS games, so unless it gets some phenomenal buzz, I probably won't bother.

For me, the PS3 big guns are already here with R&C and Uncharted. Now if you want to talk Infamous, I'm all ears. I'm expecting that to be my GotY next year.

Greg

After playing the demo through 3 times (Easy, Easy while exploring/appreciating the graphics, and Hard)... I'm so fucking sold. It was honestly going to be rental for me, as I'm short on cash and not too fond single-player only purchases, but wow...

Combat: You can check my previous posts as to how worried I was about the gun combat being boring, but all of that changes once you are actually in control. I wouldn't call the AI smart, but they are extremely aggressive and constantly change positions. On hard, I had to observe the entire field of players - if you focused on the position of one guy too much, additional enemies would flank, and your initial target would throw a 'nade to flush you out towards them, forcing you to retreat to previous areas of cover. All three times I played through the demo, I found myself in different areas of cover... so the combat itself is pretty dynamic, forcing you to think in the moment rather than planning things out ahead of time.

Platforming: As for the 'platforming'... what little there was, I enjoyed it quite a bit. The segments available in the demo weren't platforming in the sense of tricky timing, it was more of a 'I have to get there - how do I do it?' You could get clues as to where to had to go by pressing L2, but there aren't over-exaggerated elements of the background that hold your hand through the environments. The game itself is linear, but there was at least one point where alternate routes were available to get to the same destination - and like I said, it doesn't feel as linear as it is because they don't hold your hand from place to place like some games do (God of War is an example of hand-holding for me).

We've all seen the graphics an animation, so I don't need to comment on that in 'detail' - however, I will say the textures were much better than I recall them being from previous shots and videos. Some of the ground textures are simply amazing...

EDIT: And I have to note, you can jump from cover to cover... I saw a few people mention that you couldn't switch cover quickly and was disappointed to hear that, until I did it myself. Once you are locked onto a form of cover, just point in the direction you wish to go and press circle - it's even context-sensitive to the point where it allows you to change from high cover (a wall) to low cover (small block/box, etc) and vice-versa.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
ok after playing the demo. if you own a ps3 and you don't buy this game, you definitely are one retarded mother fucker. either that or broke, which i can understand. :p

besada

Banned
Dante said:

Shadows look gorgeous and perfect. Watching the leaves sway while the guy is still shooting at me. They seem aliased. Actually, they look a little like real shadows, with an umbra and penumbra.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Dante said:

i didn't see any... but ratchet and clanks shadows didn't flicker either, it was pretty impressive. As for the shadows in this game you can see the canopy waving in the breeze it's crazy.

newsguy

I'm so glad to hear people saying this game is tough. I'm enjoying R&C but after the kiddy difficulty I can't wait for a nice challenge. Not the "DMC3 break a metacarpal on a wall punch" hard, but more of a "I accomplished something" hard.

Nizz

I'm in the US but I can't connect to the Playstation store. Anyone else having problems also? I connected to the internet just fine, but I can't connect to the store. WTF....

Wollan

Space A Cobra said:
Strange. The shotgun is actually effective at long range. You can kill people across the map with it. :lol
Shotguns are a bit generalised in games usually and you can take down people from a pretty good distance in real life. All depends on shell size and type of course (discounting slugs and such now) but taking someone down at 30meters isn't exactly impossible in real life.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Insane Metal said:
http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/8881/b3hq1.jpg[img]

[img]http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/6664/b4ue4.jpg/img]

[img]http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/3433/b5zx3.jpg[img]

O____________________________________________________________________O[/QUOTE]

Dude, turn down your sharpness, it'll look way better.

Sexy pics incoming, this game is day one confirmed.

Y2Kev

drake1.jpg

drake2.jpg

drake3.jpg

Sorry about the last one, I was getting advanced on and had to hurry. I just wanted to show the variety of animations.

Bad_Boy said:
ok after playing the demo. if you own a ps3 and you don't buy this game, you definitely are one retarded mother fucker. either that or broke, which i can understand. :p
If you're broke you should sell your kidney, though it might be useful for all the sodas ou're going to drink and cheap food you're going to eat during all the playthroughs.

calder

Demo impressions: Fucking awesome.

Gunplay is solid and very fun. Took me 5-10 minutes to get a feel for how to fight effectively, I actually died in the very first gunfight, but by the end I was just loving it. And since the gun play was the main thing I was curious about (I knew I was intrigued by the setting, liked the look and loved the story etc) that was great. I liked that you couldn't just run through and shoot everyone (at least I couldn't) and at the same time you couldn't just hunker down and snipe all the guys - the enemies were too aggressive at flanking you and threw just enough grenades to prevent you from simply plinking them off one by one from afar.

The exploration was pretty basic in the demo, but worked well and the controls were easy to grasp for that part of it. Game looked great as expected (it's not perfect, but nothing is and I love the look of it) and the tiny bit of cutscene was funny and entertaining, even my wife stopped and watched it. She was a bit put off by Nathan's "elena missing, probably dead" line, but I assured her he was being flippant and he wasn't actually completely unaffected by his partners death. ;)

EekTheKat

Very nice touch. Nate doesn't clip through dead bodies like in most games, he actually either
steps around them or puts one foot on top of them
. :lol

Totally amazing game. Going to go back + play it some more .

Y2Kev

holy shit jb. the dead guy on the floor...the entire bottom of that picture looks like a photo.

good lord.

Banned
Insane Metal said:
You really need to turn down the sharpness on your TV - there's more artefacts there than there is picture!

Also: imageshack.

Didn't realise the updates go up a lot earlier (UK time) now that the clocks have changed, so it took me forever to get onto the store and start the download. Will try to get some good pics when it's done, but as I'm using a monitor now I don't have a freeze frame option.

antiloop

calder said:
She was a bit put off by Nathan's "elena missing, probably dead" line, but I assured her he was being flippant and he wasn't actually completely unaffected by his partners death. ;)

I can totally understand that. :lol

JB1981

Y2Kev said:
holy shit jb. the dead guy on the floor...the entire bottom of that picture looks like a photo.

good lord.
oh, it looks awesome - something about his pose made me laugh though

Lefty42o

Banned
Ynos Yrros said:
Just so happens that you aren't impessed by the best looking games released so far this gen. And then you go into PGR4 photo thread and post suspicious comments on there. Just because you pick some games that aren't as popular (like HS), to try to seem objective doesn't mean it works.

:lol

i have never been to the pgr4 thread. maybe you mistook me for some one else.

next best looking agme this gen nope don't think so. that would def be a tie between gears of war and heavenly sword.

it makes you look real bad when you flame some one for someone esles posts.

careksims

Bad_Boy said:

Fuckin' AMEN BROTHER! Holy crap I love it so much!

Elios83

Any update for poor europeans?
A patch should better come out tomorrow or the demo being put on the european store or the wrath SCEE will face will be worse than the comments on the US blog about no in-game XMB in 2.0 :lol :lol :lol :lol

SleazyC

So I just finished the demo and while I was already going to buy the game before this just convinces me even more that this game is going to be something special.

Sitting here listening to the menu music.... my god the music is great.

Y2Kev

JB1981 said:
oh, it looks awesome - something about his pose made me laugh though

I wasn't saying that I thought you thought it looked bad, but I just realized it while looking at it. The detail is unreal.

Lefty42o

Banned
erlim said:
Earlier...

um yes i love my 360. does that mean i donlt love my ps3. look thru the heavnly sword thread. i posted many tims how that game is the only game yet to show the dif in power from the 360 and ps3.

Top Bottom