• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Dante

Speevy said:
I started a fist fight with someone and then ended the fight doing something like Tom Cruise in the movie Collateral. You know the scene.

You mean the headshot as he is on the ground as you walk away???

GeoramA

Wow, gamefaqs doesn't even have Uncharted on their poll for upcoming November games. They've got Kane and Lynch though. :lol

They've really gone off the anti-sony deep end.

jett

D-Member
Loudninja said:
Yeah Sony comfirmed that the demo is region lock

I'm looking into buying a PS3. How does the region lock on the PS3 work? If I buy an US console and set the country to USA, will I be set with that shit?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Valkyr Junkie said:
Well I'm a little disappointed in the demo. Framerate isn't as good as I was hoping for, and the shooting mechanics are pretty poor. You can't give Sony too much leeway considering the demo was finished the same day as the game went gold. I would have preferred a demo with a lot more platforming instead of the same demo they've been showing since GDC.

I have a feeling Sony will be rethinking their strategy of more first-party games instead of money-hatting. Exclusive Assassin's Creed and GTA4 would have put the PS3 far ahead of the competition IMO.

I'm sorry, did we play the same demo?

JB1981

game ain't that hard once you get a hang of the shooting mechanics. a little floaty but definitely functional - i'm missing rumble. shooting overall is pretty damn satisfying though imo
there's actually quite a bit of tearing and some minor framerate issues (be afraid dark10x) but the game runs well for the most part.

the environment is so alive, though. everything is so organic feeling

Lefty42o

Banned
Valkyr Junkie said:
Well I'm a little disappointed in the demo. Framerate isn't as good as I was hoping for, and the shooting mechanics are pretty poor. You can't give Sony too much leeway considering the demo was finished the same day as the game went gold. I would have preferred a demo with a lot more platforming instead of the same demo they've been showing since GDC.

I have a feeling Sony will be rethinking their strategy of more first-party games instead of money-hatting. Exclusive Assassin's Creed and GTA4 would have put the PS3 far ahead of the competition IMO.

uh-oh watch out lol. you might get flamed.

i liked the platforming parts the combat was meh. framerate was alright most of the time. the tearing was annoying.

G-Bus

Banned
besada said:
You can totally spam the square button and beat the crap out of anyone. If you're near a surface you'll batter them against it. I just finished smashing some guy against a pillar three times then kicking him in the groin.

Oh man i forgot the hand to hands reacts differently to your surroundings. Looks like I'll have to run threw it a couple more times tonight, on HARD.

Never been this excited about a demo, let a lone the full game. Wish they made it longer, i need MOAR.

Speevy

Banned
Dante said:
You mean the headshot as he is on the ground as you walk away???

No, you can't do that. I mean like the shot as the guy is slumped over.

Valkyr, the framerate is perfect. What are you talking about?

Lefty42o

Banned
Tideas said:
how is the PS store working for you guys and not me? :(

i just kept going in and out till it loaded. took me 30 mins of backing out and back in but it finally let me in

Speevy said:

i think he is refering to the tearing. it was quite annoyng

tanod

when is my burrito
Valkyr Junkie said:

I think they're learning that as long as they can get the 3rd party games out at about the same time, they just need to get the advertising with their logo on it.

Costanza

Banned
HOLY FUCKING SHIT. DEMO WAS AMAZING

I can't believe I almost passed this game over this fall. HOLY SHIT.

MUST OWN. BUY BUY BUY

Checked it out. It's pretty fun. I love the platforming and the animations. It gives me a very deep SOTC-vibe in that respect. The gunplay is nice, but the cover system isn't perfect. I wish there had been some puzzles or something to show off what else is in store for the game. I hope the shooter stuff doesn't take precendence in the final game.

That said, Novemeber is too full, and I simply don't have time for it this month. I'll definitely pick it up in December, though, if all goes well.

Dot50Cal said:
I'll have a video up on Divx Stage 6 in a little while, but it will be around an hour or two. 15 minutes, all through the demo (so you get to see me die once! :lol ) I really hate it when the pirates swarm in closer on you, You're pretty much screwed when that happens. They act well as a team.

i'm waiting for ur video.....really excited:lol

dralla

I just realized you can melee while in cover and Drake won't actually leave his cover animations, he'll keep one foot on the wall

RobertM

Speevy said:

There are a lot of Junior trolls at training, haven't you noticed that?

G-Bus

Banned
Valkyr Junkie said:

That's cool. Can't expect everyone to like the game. But I'm curious about this framerate comment. Can't say i noticed a single slow down..anywhere..at any time.

Also, care to elaborate a little more on the poor shooting mechanics? I thought it comes together rather well. Not trying to be an ass, i just like to see things from other peoples points of view. :D

Lefty42o

Banned
Vyse The Legend said:
Checked it out. It's pretty fun. I love the platforming and the animations. It gives me a very deep SOTC-vibe in that respect. The gunplay is nice, but the cover system isn't perfect. I wish there had been some puzzles or something to show off what else is in store for the game. I hope the shooter stuff doesn't take precendence in the final game.

That said, Novemeber is too full, and I simply don't have time for it this month. I'll definitely pick it up in December, though, if all goes well.

if the reviews say its alot more platformer and more puzzles i might get this befor the year is out. the fighting really broke what felt like a good game. i w as all climbing around and bam i am being shot in the back.

when the game started i thought i would have to try to find the chick and that i would have to fight to save her life. but out of the blew i get shot when i climbed up some vine was frustrating.

sort of how the game started in the cutscene. they all flirty with the camera and bam anti-air fire out of now where. really set me back from the beggining.

reilo

G-Bus said:
That's cool. Can't expect everyone to like the game. But I'm curious about this framerate comment. Can't say i noticed a single slow down..anywhere..at any time.

Also, care to elaborate a little more on the poor shooting mechanics? I thought it comes together rather well. Not trying to be an ass, i just like to see things from other peoples points of view. :D

Maybe this entire time the people that don't like the shooting mechanic didn't realize that L1 will let you AIM your gun?

Station42

Loudninja said:
Yeah Sony comfirmed that the demo is region lock
FUCK!...i just finished the download ._. ...this suck so bad, bad, bad...damn! ._.

"insert game disc"..................................................................................

CoG

G-Bus said:

Hint: He probably doesn't own a PS3.

Valkyr Junkie said:
Well I'm a little disappointed in the demo. Framerate isn't as good as I was hoping for, and the shooting mechanics are pretty poor.

How could the shooting mechanics be better? They work just fine. And the cover system is nicely done.

And framerate isn't as good as you hoped for? What did you hope for!? It's rock solid!

JB1981

Nostromo said:
To the ppl complaining about the frame rate: What the hell are you taking about?!?
there is definitely tearing present. framerate is more than acceptable though.

can't stop listening to the music

tanod

when is my burrito
jett said:
I'm looking into buying a PS3. How does the region lock on the PS3 work? If I buy an US console and set the country to USA, will I be set with that shit?

PS3 titles are not region locked at all. Developers are required to make them region free.

PSN titles (including the PS1 games on the store) are region free.

Blu-Ray movies have 3 regions. Japan and America share a region. However, most movies are region free anyway.

PS2 and PS1 disc titles and DVDs are locked to the territories they are bought from just like the PS2 and PS1. They will never make PS1/PS2 games region free, despite some people's fantasies.

DLC needs to be same region that the base game comes from, otherwise it will not work.

Lightning

Banned
Valkyr Junkie said:

Now this is funny. How do any of us know that Assassins Creed is any good or not? Money hatting 3rd parties is not a productive long term solution and Sony have already money hatted MGS4 and 2 FFXIII games... how much money hatting do you want?

At some point your 1st parties need to produce the goods and this game will deliver. It won't please everyone, no game does, but Sony have taken the right step with their 1st party games.

ok, this game is AMAZING.

this guy threw a grenade at me and hit for cover, so I jumped onto the stone ledges and hauled ass all the way too him and slide tackled him as the grenade went off.

reilo said:
Uncharted has officially entered the Game of the Year race.

Can we all agree on that?

This game has far deeper and richer gameplay mechanics than GeoW did. So awesome.

I certainly think so after playing this demo.

More importantly, Uncharted seems to have lovable characters and a great story. Gears was influential and stunning, but soulless.

f@luS

More than a member.
Ive got only one slowdown in the whole demo, but like 5frame drops, it wasnt important. It was halfway the demo, when you can shoot the 1st barrel

j-wood

Man this game is looking amazing. The only sad thing is my wallet. I've bought three games in less than two months, and one of them was guitar hero, so that totals out to $220 without me owning assassins creed or cod4 :( lol

Uncharted = GOTY. Seriously, Naughty Dog and Insomniac are one of the core reasons I got a PS3.

G-Bus

Banned
reilo said:
Maybe this entire time the people that don't like the shooting mechanic didn't realize that L1 will let you AIM your gun?

:lol :lol

blind fire all the way.

CoG said:
Hint: He probably doesn't own a PS3.

Yes, some of the comments in here make me wonder if they even played the game.

reilo

Mmmkay said:
Lefty42o
Banned
(Today, 12:40 AM)
Reply | Quote

I for one am shocked by this turn of events.

BIG BUBBA
Banned
(Today, 01:36 PM)

He's gone, too.

Crisis

Banned
JB1981 said:
there is definitely tearing present. framerate is more than acceptable though.

can't stop listening to the music

Yeah there's some screen tearing going on but it really only popped up for me when I tried to take the right analog stick and swirl it around to look at everything.

*edit*

:lol :lol :lol @ Uncharted DEMO thread claiming accounts. Fucking trolls never learn.

New post at the Playstation Blog (sorry if it's been posted already, this thread updates way too fast):

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2007/11/08/uncharted-drakes-fortune-demo-update/

Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune Demo Update

+ Posted by Sam Thompson // Line Producer, SCEA

Hi, since I’m new to the blog I wanted to first introduce myself. I am the line producer on Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune and I work with Naughty Dog on a day-to-day basis and have been working with the team since Crash Team Racing.

We are pleased to see that there is so much interest out there in the Uncharted demo, and wanted to provide a quick update.

As many of you in Europe and Japan may have already learned, today’s demo is currently only available on the North American PlayStation Store, and will only work on PS3 units in that territory. This is the case with all demos, as they are targeted per region. As you may already know, North America is the first region to launch Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune (Monday, November 19th), and we wanted to be sure that we gave our North American PS3 players the opportunity to try out the demo prior to launch. Other territories are currently putting the finishing touches on the localization aspects of the Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune demo, and will release it in their respective PlayStation Stores in due course.

Unfortunately when attempting to download the demo, our friends in PAL regions or Japan may have encountered a bug in which you are asked to insert a disc. Please ignore this prompt and accept our apologies.

Thanks again for your interest in the game, we hope that those of you who do get a chance to play it get a taste for what we hope will become an action-adventure classic on the PS3.

f@luS

More than a member.
It was an amazing demo. though i had a bug on normal, one guy couldnt see me for 10sec at least....i was able to stand behind him and then he was like "OMFG NATHAN BEHIND ME GOGO COVER GRENADE SHOTGUN EVERYTHING" :lol

jett

D-Member
tanod said:
PS3 titles are not region locked at all. Developers are required to make them region free.

PSN titles (including the PS1 games on the store) are region free.

Blu-Ray movies have 3 regions. Japan and America share a region. However, most movies are region free anyway.

PS2 and PS1 disc titles and DVDs are locked to the territories they are bought from just like the PS2 and PS1. They will never make PS1/PS2 games region free, despite some people's fantasies.

DLC needs to be same region that the base game comes from, otherwise it will not work.

Thanks. What's going on with this demo then? :p

G-Bus said:

There was a few framerate drops when I walked into an open area. It wasn't a big deal, but just caught me off guard since I wasn't expected it.

The problems I had with shooting were what I was expecting from having seen earlier video demonstrations. The enemies sometimes appear to lose their hit detection when they go into either a dodge animation or react from the previous bullet; so you're better off just firing off one shot at a time and waiting for them to reset before the next shot. The demo wasn't particularly bad, just not as mind-blowing as I was hoping.

I'll still be picking up the game on day 1.

Crisis said:
Yeah there's some screen tearing going on but it really only popped up for me when I tried to take the right analog stick and swirl it around to look at everything.

Yeah, same here. The game only tears when you swing the camera around. No big deal.

Top Bottom