• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Jea Song

Did the right thing
Dot50Cal said:
Just for you GAF :)

drakebailout.gif

haha, i hope im not the first one to notice the ND patch on the parachute.

ND=Naughty Dog

I was stunned by the visuals when I just zoomed into aiming. The blur the backbround gets when you spin fast is sweet. Bullet ripples in the water FTW. TEH WATER!

Kittonwy

Banned
BobTheFork said:
Oh hell yeah, that demo was eight ways of fun!!! it just feels so smooth, the running, jumping, and shooting. The AI seems much more aggressive than I though it wold be on normal, but I like it. The free aim works better than I thought once I got the hang of it. Only complaint is that you can't really dive/roll into a hallway, it thinks you are going for one of the sides to take cover.

Try it on hard, it's FUN. So far I've played through the demo 3 times on hard, I wuv it rawr.
Indifferent2.gif

Bebpo

Banned
Ok, I'm laaate to this thread.

I downloaded the demo at lunch and just installed it. I go to play it and it say "Please insert game disc"

WTF!

Does this demo not work on a JPN system?

Erebus

Tideas said:
it's been known for like the past 3 hours though. Where have u been? Work? hha. Fine, u get another 40 minutes

Hi guys and gals,

We hear you loud and clear. Wanted to chime in here and let you know that we have shared your frustration with the Naughty Dog team and we are going to see what we can do. I will be back tomorrow with an update, but in the meantime I hope you can be patient and bear with us. As you have learned through communicating with Evan and Amy on the blog, Naughty Dog is a studio that listens to gamers, so I hope to have good news for you soon.

Thanks,
Sam

I'm already feeling better, dude! :D Although, chances are that they won't fix it. :( Knowning that NaughtyDog bears with us though, it's good thing.

Tideas

Banned
Bebpo said:

I downloaded the demo at lunch and just installed it. I go to play it and it say "Please insert game disc"

WTF!

wow u are really late. Yes, this demo does not work with any system besides a US systems...for now

Ceb

reilo said:
One of my favorite parts about the game? Lack of a HUD. The only HUD you get is when you have a weapon equipped, and it's small and tucked away in the left hand corner of your screen.

It's, as Guerilla would call it, immersive.

This is actually something about MGS4 that's starting to bug me - the obnoxious HUD.

Evlar

Banned
Bebpo said:

WTF!

Nope, NA only. This is karma kicking you in the nuts for getting SMG early.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Bebpo said:

WTF!

It doesn't... sorry mang..... Big controversy. Only works on US systems.

Synless

So I'm finally out of class and playing the demo and the first thing I wanted to say is this. Water effects are great I remember awhile back when people here were saying something about the water not reacting enough when it's walked through but damn whoever said that is wrong the water reacts much better then most games out there and I love how not only does he get wet when your in it but it also only gets wet were the water touches, if its half way up his legs then thats what's wet...........awesome.

Bebpo

Banned
Tideas said:
wow u are really late. Yes, this demo does not work with any system besides a US systems...for now

That's pretty bullshit. Ratchet had the stupid no movies problem too with the demo.

YET EVERY OTHER GAME DEMO ON XBL & PSN FOR EVERY REGION WORKS FINE.

Just hardcode a fucking switch in the demo to force US game & US movies no matter the region of your system. This is a clusterfuck as usual in Sony land.

Defuser

neojubei said:
For a demo that is region locked, there sure are a lot of languages on the demo.
It's region locked but region broke.
Sony already stated that but they also said that they may have the rights to region locked if they want to.But right now it's they not locking it or anything. It just so happens to be region broke.

Dot50Cal said:
I'm sooo saving this.

Bebpo said:
That's pretty bullshit. Ratchet had the stupid no movies problem too with the demo.

YET EVERY OTHER GAME DEMO ON XBL & PSN FOR EVERY REGION WORKS FINE.

Just hardcode a fucking switch in the demo to force US game & US movies no matter the region of your system. This is a clusterfuck as usual in Sony land.
It's region broke not locked. But don't delete it yet for they updated their blog post saying they may fixed it.

Dot50Cal

Banned
HomerSimpson-Man said:
Video?

Why Naughty Dog, why?!

Tideas said:
actually, I think it is real time. It's a real time video, not CGI video.

Most of it can be done in engine, but the fire probably cant. Anyway heres proof, look at the compression artifacts around Ela..Elen..the girl. Its absolutely a video.

arts.jpg

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
This demo is intense. I am horrible at these types of games, but dammit, uncharted has a certain charm. I'll keep practicing.

Is it me, or after playing this I have no idea what John Davison was complaining about on 1up yours before.

Bebpo

Banned
I had totally not realized that Uncharted was another 1 disc all-region thing. Does that mean the game is going to be all censored up with no blood on JPN hardware like Resistance was?

besada

Banned
Synless said:
Water effects are great I remember awhile back when people here were saying something about the water not reacting enough when it's walked through but damn whoever said that is wrong the water reacts much better then most games out there

Actually I said it doesn't deform around you while you're standing still. There's some sort of gorgeous ripple map while you're moving, but the water's pattern doesn't break around your body while you're standing still. It's gorgeous. I only noticed it because I've spent so much time playing H3 and watching the water deform around warthogs and the like. But Drake's water is prettier.

jett

D-Member
Dot50Cal said:
Its a video, not real-time.

The cut-scenes are FMV??? I'm suddenly less excited about this game. :\

At least I can trust Kojima not to take the pussy's way out...

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Defuser said:
Wow the comments at the PS blog is really bitter tears.
But one comment sure got me which is "Why does SCEA have to cater to SCEE people?"

The obvious answer to that is that Sony as a whole should be catering to all its customers. Microsoft have set the bar for this sort of thing high by providing a service that rolls out demos and other content on a timely basis worldwide. Sony have fallen well short of that, and have some serious catching up to do.

Tideas

Banned
jett said:

you're jumping to conclusions without even finding out the answers? Gah...Gaf has reached a new low

BocoDragon

I'm thinking that the opening video is rendered using the same assets as the real time graphics, but pre-rendered for ease of editing and exploding plane special effects.

Synless

besada said:
Actually I said it doesn't deform around you while you're standing still. There's some sort of gorgeous ripple map while you're moving, but the water's pattern doesn't break around your body while you're standing still. It's gorgeous. I only noticed it because I've spent so much time playing H3 and watching the water deform around warthogs and the like. But Drake's water is prettier.
I meant in a thread about three weeks back not today, unless you said that three weeks ago as well.

beerbelly

Banned
jett said:

Your expectations are ridiculous. It is the best looking game this year.

FirewalkR

Roxas said:

The dude was sent to die, he probably had to be dragged to the keyboard to post in the blog (if he even exists lol conspiracy theories ftw). Then he(they) shot him(them)self(ves) on the foot with that sentence they promptly deleted. And then, finally, they decided to do the right thing (or at least make us believe they're doing the right thing).

Actually... it's kinda complicated situation for Sony. If they release a patch or upload a new fixed version, it's as if they're acknowledging everyone that downloads the demo from other countries, breaking the user agreement/terms/whatever, that clearly states you won't provide false data about yourself, which obviously you have to do when you create an account in a foreign store. Something that wouldn't raise this problem would be simply talk to SCEE/J/etc and have them release the demo in the other stores earlier. Like, tomorrow or next Thursday at the most.

Anyone of those options works for me though :D

Dot50Cal

Banned
BocoDragon said:
I'm thinking that the opening video is rendered using the same assets as the real time graphics, but pre-rendered for ease of editing and exploding plane special effects.

Exactly.

Ceb said:
That goes against everything ND has said. I dunno why we should believe dotcal over them.

Believe me or dont, I dont care. The proof is there that this cutscene in this demo is pre-rendered. Anyone who knows anything about video compression can tell you this.

Tideas

Banned
That's what I don't get. Why are ppl so against CGI used in cutscenes? I mean, if the game you're playing is friging beautiful, what's wrong with the cutscenes (especially intro and ending) uses CGI instead in-game graphics?

I mean, the game already proved its beautiful with its gameplay. What does it have to prove by using in-engine for intro and ending?

Bleh. I just don't understand some ppl's hate for CGI. At least I have Square to look forward to.

Sho Nuff

Banned
I woke up this morning expecting to download the demo, but I'm glad that Sony region locked it. It's important that you protect your customer from cultural differences and languages that you might not understand. Imagine if you downloaded a demo that was only available in French. You would think that your PS3 was broken and you might take it back to the store and trade it in for another system. I for one applaud this decision. I'll happily keep waiting until Uncharted hits the Japanese PSN four months from now!

BocoDragon

Bebpo said:
I had totally not realized that Uncharted was another 1 disc all-region thing. Does that mean the game is going to be all censored up with no blood on JPN hardware like Resistance was?
What happened to Japan and censorship, by the way? As a kid I remember it as the land of violent cartoons... only thing they'd censor is genitals. Did it change, or was my stereotype incorrect?

I mean.... in the NES days they'd censor everything on its way to North America, now it seems like they're censoring everything from NA on its way over to Japan. (even Japanese games like Dead Rising showed more gore in the US version, come to think of it..)

Much much improved over the version I played at the playstation roadtrip event a couple of weeks ago. Everything is very intuitive now, except for grenade throwing, which I haven't gotten the hang of. When the screen went black I wanted more...

Sho Nuff

Banned
BocoDragon said:
What happened to Japan and censorship, by the way? As a kid I remember it as the land of violent cartoons... only thing they'd censor is genitals. Did it change, or was my stereotype incorrect?

I mean.... in the NES days they'd censor everything on its way to North America, now it seems like they're censoring everything from NA on its way over to Japan.

Little Japanese kids started cutting each other's heads off, so that was pretty much the end of that.

Bebpo

Banned
Sho Nuff said:
I woke up this morning expecting to download the demo, but I'm glad that Sony region locked it. It's important that you protect your customer from cultural differences and languages that you might not understand. Imagine if you downloaded a demo that was only available in French. You would think that your PS3 was broken and you might take it back to the store and trade it in for another system. I for one applaud this decision. I'll happily keep waiting until Uncharted hits the Japanese PSN four months from now!

I would say "QFMTFT" but it seems this is more because Sony is run by idiot monkeys who don't even understand how this 'auto-region-switching' thing works and less that they're purposely trying to lock things out to foreigners.

Sony has to be one of the only companies in the universe who can't even figure out their own hardware.

B-Ri

f_elz said:
graphics good, fun game... but anyone have been noticing the screen taring?

no. and even if there is its SOOO miniscule that poking at it just shows fanboytardum.

(yes i just made up a retarded word)

its gonna be a great game.

BocoDragon

Sho Nuff said:
Little Japanese kids started cutting each other's heads off, so that was pretty much the end of that.
I guess it's kinda like how light gun games are only recently coming out from under the shadow of Columbine....

Tideas

Banned
Bebpo said:
I would say "QFMTFT" but it seems this is more because Sony is run by idiot monkeys who don't even understand how this 'auto-region-switching' thing works and less that they're purposely trying to lock things out to foreigners.

Sony has to be one of the only companies in the universe who can't even figure out their own hardware.

why is everyone saying Sony Sony Sony when it was Naughty Dog who programmed and coded the Demo?

Dot50Cal

Banned
f_elz said:
graphics good, fun game... but anyone have been noticing the screen taring?

Yes. It seems to happen when you do quick movements while the camera is close to Drake.

13.jpg

Nowhere near as bad as Lost Planet when I played through it though.

Bebpo

Banned
BocoDragon said:

I mean.... in the NES days they'd censor everything on its way to North America, now it seems like they're censoring everything from NA on its way over to Japan. (even Japanese games like Dead Rising showed more gore in the US version, come to think of it..)

Sho Nuff said:

Actually Japan doesn't really censor their own games much, save RE4 and Dead Rising. What gets censored in Japan are US games because they want to market them at the PG-13 crowd and what US considers PG-13 to M violence is too offensive for the Japanese PG-13 so they just cut it rather than giving it an R rating.

It's bullshit because Japanese games will have blood, but US games released in Japan won't.

G-Bus

Banned
Tideas said:
That's what I don't get. Why are ppl so against CGI used in cutscenes? I mean, if the game you're playing is friging beautiful, what's wrong with the cutscenes (especially intro and ending) uses CGI instead in-game graphics?

I mean, the game already proved its beautiful with its gameplay. What does it have to prove by using in-engine for intro and ending?

Bleh. I just don't understand some ppl's hate for CGI. At least I have Square to look forward to.

I don't get that either. You would think people would want the best looking cut-scenes they can get, be it in-game or CGI.

You just can please some people these days. Always looking for something to bitch about.

Sho Nuff

Banned
Bebpo said:

SOCOM 2 has game-stopping bugs on the Japanese PSP because they forgot to test on hardware where X is mapped to O and vice-versa. When I actually called Sony to ask about it they berated me for playing a foreign game on the wrong hardware :lol

Top Bottom