• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

B-Ri

Bebpo said:
Sony has to be one of the only companies in the universe who can't even figure out their own hardware.

so then microsoft knew about RROD since day one and STILL sold it to us? Sony didnt program the demo, Naughty Dog did, naughty dog would know why it doesnt work, and someone already explained what was happening earlier in the thread.

Z3F

Banned
jett said:
The cut-scenes are FMV??? I'm suddenly less excited about this game. :\

At least I can trust Kojima not to take the pussy's way out...

What's even more impressive is that the MGS4 cutscenes look a lot better. It's not even close.

Sho Nuff said:
I woke up this morning expecting to download the demo, but I'm glad that Sony region locked it. It's important that you protect your customer from cultural differences and languages that you might not understand. Imagine if you downloaded a demo that was only available in French. You would think that your PS3 was broken and you might take it back to the store and trade it in for another system. I for one applaud this decision. I'll happily keep waiting until Uncharted hits the Japanese PSN four months from now!

I agree and disagree at the same time since the demo contains 5 or 6 languages for voice-overs, subtitles and menu.

G-Bus

Banned
Dot50Cal said:
Yes. It seems to happen when you do quick movements while the camera is close to Drake.

http://dot50cal.the-horror.com/gaf/un/13.jpg[IMG]

Nowhere near as bad as Lost Planet when I played through it though.[/QUOTE]

umm, WOW. Screen tearing aside i need a fricken HDtv. Now i'm depressed. That looks loads better compared to SD. Especially the scenery.

Evlar

Banned
G-Bus said:
I don't get that either. You would think people would want the best looking cut-scenes they can get, be it in-game or CGI.

You just can please some people these days. Always looking for something to bitch about.
Dunno, the ability to shift your camera 15 degrees to the left or right in Shadow of the Colossus's cutscenes was pretty swank.

JB1981

Dot50Cal said:
Most of it can be done in engine, but the fire probably cant. Anyway heres proof, look at the compression artifacts around Ela..Elen..the girl. Its absolutely a video.

arts.jpg

Heavenly Sword and Ratchet do the same thing. It's using in-game assets, though.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Bebpo said:
I would say "QFMTFT" but it seems this is more because Sony is run by idiot monkeys who don't even understand how this 'auto-region-switching' thing works and less that they're purposely trying to lock things out to foreigners.

Huh?

Sony has to be one of the only companies in the universe who can't even figure out their own hardware.

Okay then.

Demo is fucking great. The cut-scene in the beginning is hilarious.

I really like the character Drake. He really does come off as the every man. I wish he didn't say "That is so not cool" that was kind of out of place. But the rest of his dialogue is pretty good, and his animations really sell it. The girl's face right as she is jumping out is also pretty godly.

As for the gameplay, I really like the Gears of War style gameplay. I like how the implemented the cover system, it feels a lot tighter than Gears. The aiming is also a huge step up over Gears as well. I really like how the game controls, and how the gunfights play out.

My only issue is that the enemies repeated a lot of stuff.

Dot50Cal

Banned
G-Bus said:
umm, WOW. Screen tearing aside i need a fricken HDtv. Now i'm depressed. That looks loads better compared to SD. Especially the scenery.

You should see it when its not compressed to jpg's ;)

Video should be done in 1 hour, then I have to upload it to Stage 6. So god only knows how long. Im estimating 2 and a half hours from now.

jett

D-Member
I guess I shouldn't be surprised, this is how some developers are taking "advantage" of blu-ray. I just feel a little retarded for being impressed by the cut-scenes, when i thought they were real-time, like when the boat explodes at the beginning of the game(not in the demo) Bet they are all FMV, guess this is why ND made a point to mention that while you can change Nathan's costume through unlocked rewards, this change won't be reflected in the cut-scenes.

Sure they are still really well directed, but it's just not the same. :p And video compression blows.

JB1981

jett said:
I guess I shouldn't be surprised, this is how some developers are taking "advantage" of blu-ray. I just feel a little retarded for being impressed by the cut-scenes, when i thought they were real-time, like when the boat explodes at the beginning of the game(not in the demo) Bet they are all FMV, guess this is why ND made a point to mention that while you can change Nathan's costume through unlocked rewards, this change won't be reflected in the cut-scenes.

Sure they are still really well directed, but it's just not the same. :p And video compression blows.
some of them are real-time, some of them aren't. once you get to actually play the game, i doubt you will complain. then again, you are mr. negativity.

Dot50Cal

Banned
jett said:

Why are you assuming every cutscene is pre-rendered? Mr. Negativity indeed.

Bebpo

Banned
jett said:

I agree. Compression sucks, and FMV cutscenes even if using in-game assets just feel like watching a movie and detached from the experience. In-game cutscenes make me feel like I'm still in the game playing even if I'm not controlling it (and being able to move around the camera during them like in MGS is the best and really keeps you 'there').

My favorite cutscenes in Ratchet are the in-game ones. The FMV ones are pretty meh.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Bebpo said:
I agree. Compression sucks, and FMV cutscenes even if using in-game assets just feel like watching a movie and detached from the experience. In-game cutscenes make me feel like I'm still in the game playing even if I'm not controlling it (and being able to move around the camera during them like in MGS is the best and really keeps you 'there').

My favorite cutscenes in Ratchet are the in-game ones. The FMV ones are pretty meh.

You've conflated prerecorded cutscenes with in-game cutscenes. The cutscene could be entirely in-engine and you could still have no camera control. Would you feel detached from the experience then?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Bebpo said:

There is little to no discernible difference between the beginning FMV and the actual in-game graphics.

I honestly thought it was a real-time cutscene. That's just how good the game looks graphically.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Y2Kev said:
You've conflated prerecorded cutscenes with in-game cutscenes. The cutscene could be entirely in-engine and you could still have no camera control. Would you feel detached from the experience then?

I feel the same way really, with videos theres usually a wrap up at the end to let you know the action is going to begin again. This pause, while slight, still leaves a disconnect between the story and gameplay for me.

Anyway its not a big deal, I suspect those who are belly-aching about it wouldn't be buying the game anyway.

Speevy

Banned
Although the game is awesome, I mean really amazing, does anyone find it funny that Naughty Dog told everyone a demo of Uncharted would not fit on a DVD?

It's 1.2 GB.

-Rogue5-

Anyone having trouble login into the PS store? Net browser works fine and I'm logged into PSN, but the store keeps giving me error 80710D23... Balls.

Edit: Nevermind... I was just impatient.

FirewalkR

Dot50Cal said:
You should see it when its not compressed to jpg's ;)

Video should be done in 1 hour, then I have to upload it to Stage 6. So god only knows how long. Im estimating 2 and a half hours from now.

What's your estimate for the size of the download?

Y2Kev

Dot50Cal said:
I feel the same way really, with videos theres usually a wrap up at the end to let you know the action is going to begin again. This pause, while slight, still leaves a disconnect between the story and gameplay for me.

Anyway its not a big deal, I suspect those who are belly-aching about it wouldn't be buying the game anyway.

I don't really get it. There's literally no loading going on. Why is this a pre-recorded vs. in-engine thing? Couldn't they just "pre-record" some kind of ending and then have you pick right up with the action? I mean, I skipped the cutscene myself and I saw the game start immediately.

Speevy said:
Although the game is awesome, I mean really amazing, does anyone find it funny that Naughty Dog told everyone a demo of Uncharted would not fit on a DVD?

It's 1.2 GB.

Who in their right mind would even believe that, if they actually said it?

Speevy said:

It's 1.2 GB.
Oh everyone Kitton is right, crank is thing up to hard, its gets better.

Bebpo

Banned
Y2Kev said:

Yeah. Like I said Ratchet is a good example. If there's a visual gap at all between real-time and pre-recorded then it feels like it's a step away from the game you are playing. The ratchet in-game stuff is just cutscene -> oh crap you are fighting! Where as the FMV ratchet is cutscene -> black screen -> ok, next part is starting.

JB1981

Y2Kev said:
I don't really get it. There's literally no loading going on. Why is this a pre-recorded vs. in-engine thing? Couldn't they just "pre-record" some kind of ending and then have you pick right up with the action? I mean, I skipped the cutscene myself and I saw the game start immediately.

probably so they could lockdown the framerate and make the cutscene more cinematic. there are probably things they wanted to do, direction-wise, that the engine would not allow

Y2Kev

JB1981 said:
probably so they could lockdown the framerate and make the cutscene more cinematic. there are probably things they wanted to do, direction-wise, that the engine would not allow

No, I know why they did it. I don't understand why a pre-recorded cutscene can't be as immersive as an in-engine one.

edit: Bebpo, I understand when you're looking at an FMV and comparing it to like in-game, but the Uncharted cutscenes are like virtually identical to in-game.

Tideas

Banned
My goodness, I thought I've seen all bitchings. A couple of posts from above definitely came up with some new bitchings I haven't seen before.

Btw, do these ppl complain about the same thing for non PS3-games (ME, Gears, Halo?)

I only tend to see these whining in PS3-only games...for some reason...

Banned
Pfft, capture cards FTL, photos give a better representation of how the game looks in my opinion. (I didn't realise Dot50Cal was taking so many pics, or I wouldn't have done these..)

Gameplay seems pretty good, though I did find I was running low on ammo a lot of the time, and there seemed to be an awful lot of enemies. AI seemed pretty good for them though, they do a good job trying to flush you out of wherever you are. I also like/hate the fact that you can't just line up a shot and wait for them to pop-up, it seems they "know" when you do this and start running.

Visuals are fantastic - I love that it's not all just bright areas, you have a good contrast between light and dark, and there's no over-done blooming / adaptation to light here. :D It really emphasises how nice the bits with a lot of light do look, and I love the way everything is moving around, casting great shadows everywhere. Framerate was fairly good, though I encountered quite a bit of tearing in the larger areas, but it didn't seem to affect the responsiveness of the game.

The demo did seem a bit short though, and I don't like the way it just kicks you straight back to the title screen. I just hope the full game isn't as combat heavy as this was, but I'm certainly going to be picking it up anyway. (I just hope it's not another 6 hour long next-gen title, I want a proper adventure that's 15-20)

Bebpo

Banned
Y2Kev said:
No, I know why they did it. I don't understand why a pre-recorded cutscene can't be as immersive as an in-engine one.

edit: Bebpo, I understand when you're looking at an FMV and comparing it to like in-game, but the Uncharted cutscenes are like virtually identical to in-game.

Well I can't comment on Uncharted specifically since I can't, you know, PLAY IT :\

But the cutscenes in Ratchet were too different for my tastes. Resistance also used pre-recorded fmvs but it felt a lot more like in-game.

methane47

I just finished the demo.. and man.. who ever said they beat this in 10 minutes.. is a game savant...

It took me about 30 minutes.. just because I was dieing so much... Damn Shotty whores!!!

THis game definitely is NOT easy... but its also not annoyingly hard either... like other games that cheat to be hard...

The AI is frickin Amazing most of the time.. other times they are retarded..

But the AI made me crackup a couple times because of stuff I wasn't expecting... Like near the end... a shotty whore was running at the stone i was crouched next to.. to try and flank me to get better position.. but I saw him and I popped up with my AK and fired away.. but AS SOON as I popped up.. the guy did a baseball slide UNDER MY FRICKING SHOTS!!! and Shot me while sliding into cover right beneath me (we were like 10 feet apart when he first slid..) I was frickin pissed.. but at the same time.. i was laughing so hard.. that took me WAYY off guard

the Game is fricking AwESOME i cannot stress that enough

Y2Kev said:
What does it matter? Does the in-game stuff not look crazy enough for you?

Oh, no doubt I find Uncharted probably the best looking console game this year.

Still part of that gets me, such a great looking engine, but they undercut themselves with prerendered CG? Especially ND of all companies, I just expected that of all devs they know when is when and just pump what they can out of the system instead of FMV. We already have impressive crazy higher end CGI being used by games from the likes of Square and Capcom, so with such a beautiful engine from ND seems it kinds of undercut what's there.

Hence, why I'm usually a bit lukewarm at CGI game commercial nowadays that much because despite the fact there is a perfectly beautiful rendered game that can be shown as is they don't bother to really show it like that Assassin's Creed or Heavenly Sword commercial.

Speevy

Banned
Vyse The Legend said:
Again, why are you even entertaining it? Did you expect them to release a 8-9 gb demo? Really?

No, I just thought it was funny that they said something they knew to be untrue. I don't care, personally.

Loudninja

Defuser said:
Tomorrow? If you tell that to the people who got region locked/broke, they would have beat you to pulp.

PS blog

We hear you loud and clear. Wanted to chime in here and let you know that we have shared your frustration with the Naughty Dog team and we are going to see what we can do. I will be back tomorrow with an update, but in the meantime I hope you can be patient and bear with us. As you have learned through communicating with Evan and Amy on the blog, Naughty Dog is a studio that listens to gamers, so I hope to have good news for you soon.

Thanks,
Sam

kay

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Oh, no doubt I find Uncharted probably the best looking console game this year.

Still part of that gets me, such a great looking engine, but they undercut themselves with prerendered CG? Especially ND of all companies, I just expected that of all devs they know when is when and just pump what they can out of the system instead of FMV. We already have impressive crazy higher end CGI being used by games from the likes of Square and Capcom, so with such a beautiful engine from ND seems it kinds of undercut what's there.

Hence, why I'm usually a bit lukewarm at CGI game commercial nowadays that much because despite the fact there is a perfectly beautiful rendered game that can be shown as is they don't bother to really show it like that Assassin's Creed or Heavenly Sword commercial.
...it isn't CG

Don't people understand what CG is? The opening cutscene is not it. You can see polygons and low res textures so it is in engine, just recorded so it turns out the same way every time.

I think people should go watch some examples of CG and see how the graphics in those are mostly perfect and have amazing animation.

Wollan

The fmw is a pre-recorded realtime rendered scene. It doesn't nearly push as much stuff as some of the gameplay sections does either. Maybe it only takes five-ten seconds to background load the upcoming level from the HDD but remember that the full game will be stored on a disc (though a lot of resources cached of course).

Top Bottom