• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

JB1981

kay said:
...it isn't CG

Don't people understand what CG is? The opening cutscene is not it. You can see polygons and low res textures so it is in engine, just recorded so it turns out the same way every time.

I think people should go watch some examples of CG and see how the graphics in those are mostly perfect and have amazing animation.
exactly. it's in-game assets played back as video and was manipulated in post. not every cutscene in the game is going to play out that way either. if you skip the cutscene there is absolutely no loading either. it's awesome

Bebpo

Banned
I hope you guys aren't taking "patch tomorrow" from that PS Blog quote. In case you're not from America, the way he's using "update" in that paragraph is that he will give a TEXT UPDATE ON THE STATUS OF THE ISSUE tomorrow. Who knows when they'd actually have time to program out a patch. Probably not before the retail release in 12 days.

Tideas

Banned
HomerSimpson-Man said:
Oh, no doubt I find Uncharted probably the best looking console game this year.

Still part of that gets me, such a great looking engine, but they undercut themselves with prerendered CG? Especially ND of all companies, I just expected that of all devs they know when is when and just pump what they can out of the system instead of FMV. We already have impressive crazy higher end CGI being used by games from the likes of Square and Capcom, so with such a beautiful engine from ND seems it kinds of undercut what's there.

Hence, why I'm usually a bit lukewarm at CGI game commercial nowadays that much because despite the fact there is a perfectly beautiful rendered game that can be shown as is they don't bother to really show it like that Assassin's Creed or Heavenly Sword commercial.

so you rather see FPS drop and jaggedness than that? You sir, don't deserve to game hah

deadbeef

Yeah, I played about 2 minutes, just enough to verify controls and what not were solid. Then I turned it off - I don't want to spoil anything, especially since it's just a SP experience.

They seem to have nailed Drake's personality though, very likeable.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
First demo in a long time that left me wanting more.

There's a layer of polish this game lacks in terms of mechanics insofar as just about every element is done better somewhere else, though no one else puts them all together this well. I wasn't fighting Uncharted's controls or camera anywhere near as much as RE4 or GTA, for instance. If anything, I wish they'd borrowed more from other games. I don't think the game felt notably "floaty" like, say, R&C; this just feels like they've chosen an odd level of realism. The character obviously has mutant healing powers so why bother grounding the game this much? I hope the levels are more interactive in the full game, but I'm not holding my breath.

Uncharted looks like a big step in the right direction for this style of game. I'll be picking this up now.

kay said:
...it isn't CG

Don't people understand what CG is? The opening cutscene is not it. You can see polygons and low res textures so it is in engine, just recorded so it turns out the same way every time.

I think people should go watch some examples of CG and see how the graphics in those are mostly perfect and have amazing animation.

CG can be lower end. Besides it's just semantics when in the end I'm speaking of prerendered computer graphics playing back as video.

Bebpo

Banned
So:

A. No demo for non-US people.
B. Game has pre-recorded FMV cutscenes with compression artifacts to tell the story
C. Game has tearing and it won't be fixed since this is taken from the final build and the game is out in 12 days.

Talk about killing my hype for the next huge Naughty Dog franchise :\

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
The barrel explosions.... wow. Anybody else save the barrels till the end to shoot them without enemies so you can watch the smoke rise into the air? :lol

Bebpo said:
So:

B. Game has pre-recorded FMV cutscenes with compression artifacts to tell the story
C. Game has tearing and it won't be fixed since this is taken from the final build and the game is out in 12 days.

No offense Bebpo, you're a great person. But do you always whine this much? Screw killing your hype, you're killing my brain cells. :lol

A. Thats being fixed according to ND, no?
B. Tons of games do, and the compression is so minimal most people here thought it was real time.
C. The tearing only happens very rarely for me (way less than games like GOW2/GOW), the game runs smooth and looks amazing.

Bottom line. You own a ps3, you can't fail if you buy this game.

Banned
Oh, something else I forgot to mention about the demo - love the aiming. Finally a game shows that the sixaxis isn't terrible for aiming with, it's just how the developer sets things up.

I don't like the "motion blur" they have going on at all though. Perhaps if you're using an LCD/Plasma you won't spot it, but it's not actually doing a motion blur at all, it just looks like it's a depth of field effect they turn on when you move the camera at high speeds, throwing everything out of focus rather than taking the motion into account.

I thought it was ok. The graphics are fantastic, but I found the controls to be a little "floaty" for my tastes, and I thought that the shooting sequences weren't all that great/exciting. I will probably end up getting it though if the price is right.

Tideas

Banned
I vote that we ignore bebpo and homersimpson man, and move on to discuss about this awesome demo that's still making me jealous.

Gah, work PS Store! WOrk! You pal and japanese ppl, get off the PSN! haha,

Tideas said:
so you rather see FPS drop and jaggedness than that? You sir, don't deserve to game hah

Nope, I really didn't think Naughty Dog would have such a probably anyway with cutscenes for that to be an issue in the first place.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Bebpo said:
So:

Play the demo first [when you can].

The tearing is blown way out of proportion and it only happens near larger water sources when you try to swing the camera around 360 degrees as quickly as possible.

Plus your issue with the pre-recorded cutscene is ridiculous. The in-game graphics are nearly identical to the cutscene.

Defuser

Bebpo said:
So:

Which overall doesn't affect gameplay or any sort which is what people want. :|

Kittonwy

Banned
I love how you can't cheese aim when you pop back into cover and pop out, the aim will always be off a bit and you can kind of inch your aim while in cover, the enemies really use all sides of the cover, high low, both sides, diving out, running out, standing out, they just don't stay still!!!
Indifferent2.gif

jett

D-Member
Bebpo said:
Well I can't comment on Uncharted specifically since I can't, you know, PLAY IT :\

But the cutscenes in Ratchet were too different for my tastes. Resistance also used pre-recorded fmvs but it felt a lot more like in-game.

The thing with Ratchet is that while it uses in-game assets, the lighting is so totally not in-engine.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Bebpo, you are out of control. *finger snap*

A. Cry more
B. Dear god
C. It's got less tearing than most people's underwear.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Great demo.

I died!

A grenade got me, and they kept trying to flank my position! Sweet!

JB1981

Bebpo said:
So:

Jesus, get a grip on yourself

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Well, it didn't work on my system. I have an NTSC JP system, and it asked for the game disc.

Shit. Oh well.

zoku88

Kittonwy said:
I love how you can't cheese aim when you pop back into cover and pop out, the aim will always be off a bit and you can kind of inch your aim while in cover, the enemies really use all sides of the cover, high low, both sides, diving out, running out, standing out, they just don't stay still!!!
Indifferent2.gif
I really noticed that. I was like "crap, now I actually have to have some skill."

<-- can't aim ... at all.

sh4mike

Overall disappointed -- 8.5 out of 10 non-purchase.

My wife watched me play the demo, and I giggled like a kid describing all the new graphical touches that put Uncharted a step beyond anything that has come before it. I couldn't ask for better graphics. The context-specific animation selection is amazing. For the first 5 minutes, I had the time of my life running into water, watching the steam flow, and observing the shadow detail. Platforming was solid throughout -- jumping across ledges was easy and intuitive.

The gunplay was disappointing. My biggest complaint is L1 aim position reset after cover (e.g. if you have the baddie in scope, let go of L1 to cover, then hit L1 again, your scope will be in a different spot). Never realized how nice this was in Gears.

As mentioned by others, it's difficult to pop off 3 rounds and drop a baddie because they have prolonged post-hit animation, often causing miss. So I end up having to wait a second between shots to make sure they land clean. Not satisfying.

The weaponry was disappointing. Sound effects were realistic but weak. It's hard to go back to pop guns once you've spent time with a Lancer in Gears. Ammo capacity was also more limited than I would like. Realism versus playability, I suppose.

The general combat feel was good. I cannot come up with any complaints, but I also cannot come up with any strong compliments. Cover mechanic worked well, fast moving and plentiful AI targets require quick thinking on proper positioning and rush tactics for better cover location.

I played on Easy, and the main initial combat location (around 10 opponents) was a bit frustrating. I died 5 times from a number of factors: running out of ammo, guys on the high ledge were difficult to spot but would pop me wherever I ran, frustration with the above mentioned aim-reset post-cover, and going a bit balls-out on occassion.

I settled down and got past it, but I had to play in a more reserved style than I would have liked. I'm not demanding run-and-gun, but stronger mechanics would have made the fight more dynamic. Too bad I cannot pinpoint the exact mechanical weaknesses -- not a developer. The fighing felt light -- I miss the bashing, crashing, and general feel of Gears more.

I've mentioned it a few times already, but the game is very realistic. My wife left after the first fight because the realism made her uncomfortable -- she'll watch me chainsaw in Gears all day but this was too much. Kudos to ND for pulling this off. At the same time, realism isn't always the most fun. And for me personally, I like bald space marines with pre-installed subwoofer rifles.

Some people want to play Indiana Jones, others want to play Aliens. For the Indiana Jones folks, this is a great game. I fall into the later category and will not pick this up (given the release timing with Mass Effect).

Solid effort from ND. This is the perfect game for many.

Bebpo

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Bebpo, you are out of control. *finger snap*

A. Cry more
B. Dear god
C. It's got less tearing than most people's underwear.

It's hard to say anything positive about the game when you aren't playing it, and what am I supposed to do when somebody posts a screenshot with awful tearing? I have no idea how often it occurs, and for all I know it's a mess like Switchball. ND hadn't made a next-gen game until now so I don't know what their stance of tearing is. A lot of devs this gen just say "fuck it" and hope gamers will ignore it.

The tearing is nothing. I only saw it a couple of times during the 30-45 minutes I spent playing through the demo, if it happened more than that I didn't notice.

I died... a lot. I figured I'd give myself a decent challenge and play on Hard.. I'm glad I did. I really felt like I had the hang of the gunplay by the end of the demo, and there was some really intense fighting.

I didn't get to melee as much as I wanted to, maybe I'll lower the difficulty to normal and see if I can get away with throwing more punches :lol

The demo was a ton of fun.. first day purchase confirmed.

Elhandro

For the most part I liked what it was doing and where it was going. Probably my first must have title on PS3, although it has its weak spots, I think it will be fun.

I didnt like the fact enemies seem to come out of no where and just shoot at you all day. Sometimes they would attack at wierd angels, but I guess they are trying for some thing different so its not to much of a bother.

-Is it me or does this game seem like a next gen version of syhon filter. I would say there is an uncanny likeness to the way he controls and the shooting mechanic that just scream Gabe all over it. This is a good thing for me, cause I love that series.

Im looking forward to this, Im just hoping that there is a little more variety in the levels and it wont be to linear.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Bebpo said:
It's hard to say anything positive about the game when you aren't playing it, and what am I supposed to do when somebody posts a screenshot with awful tearing? I have no idea how often it occurs, and for all I know it's a mess like Switchball. ND hadn't made a next-gen game until now so I don't know what their stance of tearing is. A lot of devs this gen just say "fuck it" and hope gamers will ignore it.

Which means you shouldn't say anything at all, by the fucking way.

B-Ri

ON EASY?! im sorry but that just read trolllllll all over it. Ive played gears to death, uncharted is awesome.

Awntawn

Bebpo said:
So:

:lol at the people not picking up the sarcasm in this post.

right? ;o

vpance

Great demo! Graphics and image quality is amazingly clean.

The only thing I didnt like about the gameplay is it can be easy to get on the wrong side of cover when running around in hectic firefights. I guess it should just be a matter of practice though for the most part.

Bebpo said:
So:

I honestly havent notice any tearing when I was playing and it was something that bothered me in other games.

and I dont get why having pre-recorded FMVs is a bad thing, it isnt like they are going to ever be different no matter how much you watch them, so I dont see the issue.

and as for non-US people that cant play it, all I can say is...AMERICA! F' YEAH!

Foil

To be honest I wasn't that hyped about Uncharted until I played this demo. Game is gorgeous and really enjoyable. I love the water and how it makes your clothes wet. Day one purchase.

The voice work is really well done. Drake is a great main character.

Top Bottom