• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

mr_nothin

Banned
sh4mike said:
Overall disappointed -- 8.5 out of 10 non-purchase.

My wife watched me play the demo, and I giggled like a kid describing all the new graphical touches that put Uncharted a step beyond anything that has come before it. I couldn't ask for better graphics. The context-specific animation selection is amazing. For the first 5 minutes, I had the time of my life running into water, watching the steam flow, and observing the shadow detail. Platforming was solid throughout -- jumping across ledges was easy and intuitive.

The gunplay was disappointing. My biggest complaint is L1 aim position reset after cover (e.g. if you have the baddie in scope, let go of L1 to cover, then hit L1 again, your scope will be in a different spot). Never realized how nice this was in Gears.

As mentioned by others, it's difficult to pop off 3 rounds and drop a baddie because they have prolonged post-hit animation, often causing miss. So I end up having to wait a second between shots to make sure they land clean. Not satisfying.

The weaponry was disappointing. Sound effects were realistic but weak. It's hard to go back to pop guns once you've spent time with a Lancer in Gears. Ammo capacity was also more limited than I would like. Realism versus playability, I suppose.

The general combat feel was good. I cannot come up with any complaints, but I also cannot come up with any strong compliments. Cover mechanic worked well, fast moving and plentiful AI targets require quick thinking on proper positioning and rush tactics for better cover location.

I played on Easy, and the main initial combat location (around 10 opponents) was a bit frustrating. I died 5 times from a number of factors: running out of ammo, guys on the high ledge were difficult to spot but would pop me wherever I ran, frustration with the above mentioned aim-reset post-cover, and going a bit balls-out on occassion.

I settled down and got past it, but I had to play in a more reserved style than I would have liked. I'm not demanding run-and-gun, but stronger mechanics would have made the fight more dynamic. Too bad I cannot pinpoint the exact mechanical weaknesses -- not a developer. The fighing felt light -- I miss the bashing, crashing, and general feel of Gears more.

I've mentioned it a few times already, but the game is very realistic. My wife left after the first fight because the realism made her uncomfortable -- she'll watch me chainsaw in Gears all day but this was too much. Kudos to ND for pulling this off. At the same time, realism isn't always the most fun. And for me personally, I like bald space marines with pre-installed subwoofer rifles.

Some people want to play Indiana Jones, others want to play Aliens. For the Indiana Jones folks, this is a great game. I fall into the later category and will not pick this up (given the release timing with Mass Effect).

Solid effort from ND. This is the perfect game for many.
Sounds like somebody sucks at this game.
I think that gamers now-a-days have become pansies and do not want a challenge.
I'm so happy to hear that this game is very challenging....
Coming from the NES era and all.

And the thing about the "realism" being too much for your wife....that made me laugh.
Gears is perfectly fine for her and this game is not? LOL
Having tons of thick blood flying everywhere is acceptable compared to what Uncharted gives you? Wow

aparisi2274

Is this a timed demo? I was playing it, and I busted through a gate and the demo ended.... No finishing the chapter, nothing... Just went back to the title screen....

Dot50Cal

Banned
aparisi2274 said:
Is this a timed demo? I was playing it, and I busted through a gate and the demo ended.... No finishing the chapter, nothing... Just went back to the title screen....

It ends there, not timed. Video size will be known in 2 minutes. It shouldnt matter much since Ill be putting it up on Stage 6, which lets you stream as it downloads.

Esperado

Just beat the demo on normal. From what I've seen, the game looks and plays amazingly well. I was honestly surprised at how many head shots I was able to get. What else can I say? Exceeded every expectation I could want to have.

Dante

Christ on a pony this game is beautiful.

Easily the best graphics next gen.

It's took me forever on the first playthrough because I could not stop gawking at EVERYTHING.

And my god the music feels right out of Indy.

gotta get back to it :O

I've yet to see any tearing, but I've only gone one playtrough.

Elhandro

Also this game has a lot of clipping, and I mean a lot. Like if you stand on the first pillar after the first gate, you leg goes straight through the rock....eeeeeeeeewwww

But that doesnt really take a way how good this game looks or how well it plays.

Z3F

Banned
Bebpo said:
It's hard to say anything positive about the game when you aren't playing it, and what am I supposed to do when somebody posts a screenshot with awful tearing? I have no idea how often it occurs, and for all I know it's a mess like Switchball. ND hadn't made a next-gen game until now so I don't know what their stance of tearing is. A lot of devs this gen just say "fuck it" and hope gamers will ignore it.

Tearing and slowdown are not bad at all although they're noticeable. However, the video quality of the cutscenes is quite low, which is a shame because blu-ray is more than enough to have the highest quality videoclps. I noticed right at the beginning that the cutscene wasn't real-time because of the video artifacts.

Banned
Z3F said:
Tearing and slowdown are not bad at all although they're noticeable. However, the video quality of the cutscenes is quite low, which is a shame because blu-ray is more than enough to have the highest quality videoclps. I noticed right at the beginning that the cutscene wasn't real-time because of the video artifacts.
It's possible that they've just re-encoded them to make for a smaller PSN download, which would also explain why they look so bad in places.

andrewfee said:
It's possible that they've just re-encoded them to make for a smaller PSN download, which would also explain why they look so bad in places.

I thought the same thing.

ND said the game nearly filled up the majority of the Blu-ray and like Speevy said earlier the devs once said the original demo could fill up a good chunk of a DVD, they could have scaled back using video and cut the demo shorter to make it an easier download on PSN.

Kintaco

I'm trying to download the demo, but I can't even log into PSN, I get a connection error. I'm able to use the browser so it's not my connection. Anyone else having this problem?

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
Dot50Cal said:
It ends there, not timed. Video size will be known in 2 minutes. It shouldnt matter much since Ill be putting it up on Stage 6, which lets you stream as it downloads.

quark.gif

You rock dude, thanks. :)

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Z3F said:

I don't understand this... there was no slow down for me at all, except a little tearing when I got the the top and you are about to jump down onto the ledge where you have the big firefight, it only ever happens there and I know this will be ironed out come release, seoriusly the game was buttery smooth for me.

Evlar

Banned
I bought the PS3 on the expectation of hopefully playing a lot of great titles in the next few years, but three of them (all still unreleased) were deal-makers. Uncharted was one of those games. So far I'm not disappointed.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Video is 400MB, Divx really butchered it though ;( It does not do the game justice, but I'm uploading anyway. Should be up soon.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I really don't know how anyone can come away unimpressed by this demo. No idea at all.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Dot50Cal said:
I feel the same way really, with videos theres usually a wrap up at the end to let you know the action is going to begin again.
That's just bad editing(lack of seamless transition), it's really nothing to do with it being video or rendered realtime, it happens in almost all games every time there's any sort of cinematic cutscene (most games get conversation cutscenes right - but the rest...).

Anyway it's easier to make the transition seamless with video (high quality enough encoding to match realtime rendering) - especially in cases where cutscene might have a butload of extra data that will not be used in-game - eg. see various ending sequences in GearsOfWar etc.
It's not an issue of realtime rendition of such scenes being possible, it would just take a LOT longer to make it all run perfect (from data-loading to framerate etc.) - and why throw more money at something that will look the same in end result?

Infernodash said:
The game is polished though and I suppose it will be an A or even AA title, but I cannot see how this will be considered AAA.

I agree. Many aspects of the game are quite good, but something just feels lifeless to me. Don't get me wrong it seems like a great game, but it isn't as 'amazing' as I was hoping it would be. Very good, but not great (at least the demo).

BTW, the girl is very unattractive physically and has an irritating voice to boot.

methane47

Elhandro said:
I didnt like the fact enemies seem to come out of no where and just shoot at you all day. Sometimes they would attack at wierd angels, but I guess they are trying for some thing different so its not to much of a bother.

I strangely loved that... like the large ruin area after the first fight... I got into a cover spot that I thought was great.. Then after picking off a couple guys.. I start getting shot in the head from above and to the left of me.. I was like WHat in the HELL.. Then I turned around and saw the guy shooting me from the ledge just above me.. I cracked up as I saw that (and died too)

I love that . you really dont know where the next shot is going to come from.. I mean.. it IS a jungle after all.. I hope this game remains free of Corridor fights.. and keeps giving up these open area.. multiple vantage spot fights... Its really awesome.. And I feel that in order to win in these fights.. i HAVE to move around.. get different positions on people etc..

Belfast

Z3F said:

You think this might be different for the final release? You know, to keep download size down?

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
sh4mike said:

My wife watched me play the demo, and I giggled like a kid describing all the new graphical touches that put Uncharted a step beyond anything that has come before it. I couldn't ask for better graphics. The context-specific animation selection is amazing. For the first 5 minutes, I had the time of my life running into water, watching the steam flow, and observing the shadow detail. Platforming was solid throughout -- jumping across ledges was easy and intuitive.

The gunplay was disappointing. My biggest complaint is L1 aim position reset after cover (e.g. if you have the baddie in scope, let go of L1 to cover, then hit L1 again, your scope will be in a different spot). Never realized how nice this was in Gears.

As mentioned by others, it's difficult to pop off 3 rounds and drop a baddie because they have prolonged post-hit animation, often causing miss. So I end up having to wait a second between shots to make sure they land clean. Not satisfying.

The weaponry was disappointing. Sound effects were realistic but weak. It's hard to go back to pop guns once you've spent time with a Lancer in Gears. Ammo capacity was also more limited than I would like. Realism versus playability, I suppose.

The general combat feel was good. I cannot come up with any complaints, but I also cannot come up with any strong compliments. Cover mechanic worked well, fast moving and plentiful AI targets require quick thinking on proper positioning and rush tactics for better cover location.

I played on Easy, and the main initial combat location (around 10 opponents) was a bit frustrating. I died 5 times from a number of factors: running out of ammo, guys on the high ledge were difficult to spot but would pop me wherever I ran, frustration with the above mentioned aim-reset post-cover, and going a bit balls-out on occassion.

I settled down and got past it, but I had to play in a more reserved style than I would have liked. I'm not demanding run-and-gun, but stronger mechanics would have made the fight more dynamic. Too bad I cannot pinpoint the exact mechanical weaknesses -- not a developer. The fighing felt light -- I miss the bashing, crashing, and general feel of Gears more.

I've mentioned it a few times already, but the game is very realistic. My wife left after the first fight because the realism made her uncomfortable -- she'll watch me chainsaw in Gears all day but this was too much. Kudos to ND for pulling this off. At the same time, realism isn't always the most fun. And for me personally, I like bald space marines with pre-installed subwoofer rifles.

Some people want to play Indiana Jones, others want to play Aliens. For the Indiana Jones folks, this is a great game. I fall into the later category and will not pick this up (given the release timing with Mass Effect).

sounds like this wasn't going to be your type of game from the start (meaning, even before the demo hit).

Elhandro said:
Also this game has a lot of clipping, and I mean a lot.
Thats one issue (and really the only real one so far) I have with the game/demo. Theres a bunch of clipping, mainly in the vegetation. I didn't notice too much clipping on rocks and stuff, but it was mainly plants. I would of liked more of the vegetation to move when walked around or bumped against. It's like the only vegetation that moved was the grass in the beginning of the demo (which was really cool btw).

Maggot9

Banned
Was impressed by the demo. Graphics and controls are great. Though the animation can be just as wonky as it is impressive in places.

Evlar

Banned
I saw only minimal tearing. Literally quarter-fractions of a second, and it only happened twice that I can recall (one of them was standing on one of the ledges right before the end of the demo, spinning the camera around to get a view of the next jump). Running at 720p btw.

el Diablo

Banned
Was a day 1 purchase already but this just set it in stone. I was unsure about the gun elements but it's pretty well done, i'd give the gun elements an 8/10. Was a tad sluggish when you cover behind something that's not wide. If i wanted to pop out to the left but i was looking right i'd either need to slide a tiny amount (if it was even possible) or get away and recover and hope i'd be facing the right direction. Also, i'll need to adjust the first person target mode, it moved way too slow for me (not a problem though). Thought it was great the first time i made a long jump and Nate flailed all his limbs around heh. The only problem i had was with screen tearing and i really only noticed it when i looked up and down (which i spent alot of time doing, the surroundings are insane), i personally didn't notice any slowdown.

Kintaco said:
I'm trying to download the demo, but I can't even log into PSN, I get a connection error. I'm able to use the browser so it's not my connection. Anyone else having this problem?

Probably slammed down w/ people trying to dl.

I was really looking forward to this demo and this game but I'm just not digging it and I can't put my finger on what exactly the problem is. The combat system feels uneven and the cover system feels a little broken but again I couldn't point out specifically what is bothering me. Maybe with a longer play through I'll be able to figure it out but I'm just not feeling this game.

CSSer

Ah, I was finally able to get past the 3rd or 4th swarm of pirates and the demo ends. I really suck at shooters too, so I consider this a great feat for me :lol

I didn't have a problem with the game on Normal, trying it on hard now.

It's definately one of those games that makes you go out and do badass things, even if they're not very logical. I spent more time bum rushing fools with the shotgun than anything else. I love taking cover right against the same low wall they are and blind firinging them into back flipping hell.

Z3F

Banned
Belfast said:
You think this might be different for the final release? You know, to keep download size down?

Could be but the cutscene was short though. I'm not sure if they would save more than a 100mb by lowering the qualty of the clp. It's not a big deal with me since real time graphics matter more and those seem to be fine. I'm more disappointed with the type of gameplay that was in the demo. There was far too little of the adventuring that was promised. Uncharted's been called a Tomb Raider clone before but the demo made it seem more like a Gears of War clone. Hopefully, the high amont of gunfights in the demo was just to draw in the teens/early 20s demographic that likes to shoot stuff.

Evlar

Banned
Flesh Into Gear said:
I didn't have a problem with the game on Normal, trying it on hard now.

It's definately one of those games that makes you go out and do badass things, even if they're not very logical. I spent more time bum rushing fools with the shotgun than anything else. I love taking cover right against the same low wall they are and blind firinging them into back flipping hell.
Yeah, the shotgun had me giggling like a schoolgirl. You gonna sneak up on me bitch? [Pirate performs a backwards somersault]

Crisis

Banned
Loudninja said:
You know what else is great?They will get sick of you been in cover, and come after you

I loved that part. I thought I had them at bay in that second section where you have to jump from one wall to the other and out of nowhere some guy with a shotgun storms me when I was talking to someone on the phone and gunned me to death. Day one Naughty Dog. Day one.

Elhandro

Is there really a point to the hand to hand combat. It seems to me like its only useful when there is like one guy standing.

Dont bother trying to melee someone when you have five other guys shooting you at the same time. As this makes a lot of sense, it does game break the ability to use your combat effectively.

Im playing on hard now, and it def a bit trickier. still having fun though

Dante

Love how the enemies favor their wounds a kin to where you shoot them,

Also this is some of the best enemyai if not the best I've seen in some time, It really feels like an intimate battle, and like they are working together to take you out.

the animation is insane. I can see myself playing this over and over just to see the different animations.

Evlar

Banned
They get more aggressive as the demo goes on. I'm willing to believe the first couple groups were set to "Dumber than Rocks" to help ease players into the action.

USC-fan

Banned
sh4mike said:

good write up i agree on a lot of that. I played on easy and died way too many times. :(

sh4mike

Bad_Boy said:
sounds like this wasn't going to be your type of game from the start (meaning, even before the demo hit).
Unfortunately this is likely the case. Sorta like porn -- once you find a few ultra-specific niches that appeal to you most, everything else (including general smut) just doesn't stimulate as well.

I really wanted to love this game -- but I'm too damn specific in my tastes (self-absorbed action-RPG lover here). Sucks for me.

Doesn't mean that I cannot appreciate the beauty of this title though -- AAA for most.

Crisis

Banned
The Sphinx said:
They get more aggressive as the demo goes on. I'm willing to believe the first couple groups were set to "Dumber than Rocks" to help ease players into the action.

They aren't much in the way of protecting themselves. At first they'll stay behind cover but if you don't do anything long enough they'll run right out in the open.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Kbsmoker said:
good write up i agree on a lot of that. I played on easy and died way too many times. :(

Are you actually criticizing the game because you died too many times?

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
It's a decent experience, but the gunplay is neither very cerebral nor visceral. Considering gunplay makes up 90% of the demo, it's not a good sign. You get your cover, pop-out and shoot, roll away from incoming grenade, rinse and repeat. That's not necessarily a bad formula, but without a sense of danger, without the feeling of being a complete bad-ass, without having to out-think your opponents, it's all a bit boring. The whole time I felt like some shit would go down that would push me in some way, but it never materialized.

Guys, dont be worried at all about the game if u didn't like the demo. I played a demo of Uncharted on the Playstation TOur Bus and it had 4 different levels in it..... I played all 4 and of the four this one was the worst so dont be discouraged. I still think this one is fun but the other ones are just amazing.

Top Bottom