• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

this game totally satisfies the Indy urges you have. I had trouble taking this one guy out and he punched be back while laughing in my face, so to pay him back I shot him in the torso and watched fly back.

Speevy

Banned
CrapSandwich said:
It's a decent experience, but the gunplay is neither very cerebral nor visceral. Considering gunplay makes up 90% of the demo, it's not a good sign. You get your cover, pop-out and shoot, roll away from incoming grenade, rinse and repeat. That's not necessarily a bad formula, but without a sense of danger, without the feeling of being a complete bad-ass, without having to out-think your opponents, it's all a bit boring. The whole time I felt like some shit would go down that would push me in some way, but it never materialized.

You're not a badass. You're an everyman. And there's plenty of danger, hence why everone keeps dying.

acabado

Banned
Uncharted009.jpg

:D

Z3F

Banned
Speevy said:
You're not a badass. You're an everyman. And there's plenty of danger, hence why everone keeps dying.

I killed more than 20 men in that demo. Can an everyman do that?

Kittonwy

Banned
sh4mike said:
Overall disappointed -- 8.5 out of 10 non-purchase.

My wife watched me play the demo, and I giggled like a kid describing all the new graphical touches that put Uncharted a step beyond anything that has come before it. I couldn't ask for better graphics. The context-specific animation selection is amazing. For the first 5 minutes, I had the time of my life running into water, watching the steam flow, and observing the shadow detail. Platforming was solid throughout -- jumping across ledges was easy and intuitive.

The gunplay was disappointing. My biggest complaint is L1 aim position reset after cover (e.g. if you have the baddie in scope, let go of L1 to cover, then hit L1 again, your scope will be in a different spot). Never realized how nice this was in Gears.

The fact that you can't bullshit cheese aim like that is exactly why the gunplay is great, a headshot actually means you've aimed and shot the enemy dead on instead of being the result of inching your crosshair while in cover. If you miss by an inch, you miss by an inch, if you get one of them in the head, the enemy die instantly, and you don't get the chance to just stand there, take all day to line up your shot, you either get the shot right, or you go back into cover, cover-aiming is lame and is essentially a built-in cheat.

As mentioned by others, it's difficult to pop off 3 rounds and drop a baddie because they have prolonged post-hit animation, often causing miss. So I end up having to wait a second between shots to make sure they land clean. Not satisfying.

Actually you can still hit them during their animations, there's a difference between the lack of hit detection, which is NOT what's happening here, and the enemy reacting to your shot and then you MISSING your next shot because he has moved.

The weaponry was disappointing. Sound effects were realistic but weak. It's hard to go back to pop guns once you've spent time with a Lancer in Gears. Ammo capacity was also more limited than I would like. Realism versus playability, I suppose.

You've got 40 shots in your handgun, headshots are actually one-hit kills. When was the last time you shoot an elite or a boomer in the head and kill them in one shot in Gears? The handgun especially has a nice pop as well as none of the guns being a pea-shooter like the lancer.

The general combat feel was good. I cannot come up with any complaints, but I also cannot come up with any strong compliments. Cover mechanic worked well, fast moving and plentiful AI targets require quick thinking on proper positioning and rush tactics for better cover location.

I played on Easy, and the main initial combat location (around 10 opponents) was a bit frustrating. I died 5 times from a number of factors: running out of ammo, guys on the high ledge were difficult to spot but would pop me wherever I ran, frustration with the above mentioned aim-reset post-cover, and going a bit balls-out on occassion.

Ok, you had trouble in easy mode and died FIVE TIMES? IN EASY MODE?

Indifferent2.gif

Flo_Evans

damn why can't I shot the bird and eat it like snake eater?! The opening scene is allot like snake eater. I couldn't figure out how to get my backpack out of the tree though! :lol

The AI is pretty good but then again they can see you thru walls. Try alerting them then running behind that big wall, they track you up and down even though they should not be able to see you... I wanted to try stealth but it seems once one guard sees you they have radar! Yeah sorry I want MGS4!

Guns could use some recoil. Might be lack of rumble but they feel pretty weak. Nice arm/leg hit animations and limping though!

Platforming was kind of meh, I did like the little 'reach' animation he makes when you can side jump to another ledge though!

Graphics are amazing, but why if they are doing FMV cut scenes not Put 16x AA on them? weird.

Banned
msdstc said:
I don't understand this... there was no slow down for me at all, except a little tearing when I got the the top and you are about to jump down onto the ledge where you have the big firefight, it only ever happens there and I know this will be ironed out come release, seoriusly the game was buttery smooth for me.
Tearing = slowdown. It only happens when the framerate isn't at 30/60 fps. (well, it wouldn't tear at 15fps either but that'd be unplayable)

I certainly didn't find it got in the way of the game though - it wasn't framing out particularly badly and didn't really affect responsiveness.

methane47 said:
I strangely loved that... like the large ruin area after the first fight... I got into a cover spot that I thought was great.. Then after picking off a couple guys.. I start getting shot in the head from above and to the left of me.. I was like WHat in the HELL.. Then I turned around and saw the guy shooting me from the ledge just above me.. I cracked up as I saw that (and died too)

I love that . you really dont know where the next shot is going to come from.. I mean.. it IS a jungle after all.. I hope this game remains free of Corridor fights.. and keeps giving up these open area.. multiple vantage spot fights... Its really awesome.. And I feel that in order to win in these fights.. i HAVE to move around.. get different positions on people etc..
Definitely agree with you there - I love that the AI doesn't just sit there as targets and that they try to flush you out. Even on Easy (when I was taking photos) I spotted them doing this which makes a nice change.

Elhandro said:
Is there really a point to the hand to hand combat. It seems to me like its only useful when there is like one guy standing.

Dont bother trying to melee someone when you have five other guys shooting you at the same time. As this makes a lot of sense, it does game break the ability to use your combat effectively.

Im playing on hard now, and it def a bit trickier. still having fun though
I agree, the hand-to-hand combat is fairly useless, especially at the harder difficulties. What I love though, is that you can run up to someone and take them out in one hit if you haven't been spotted - I managed to take out four or five of the pirates in the first big area this way before I was spotted. :D

CapoAheaz

this game is gonna be the shit.
i shot a guy that was throwing a grenade and it landed in front of him, killed himself, and two other enemies.

Kittonwy

Banned
Dante said:
:lol If they are holding a grenade shoot thir arm, they will drop it at there feet and KABOOM!

Yeah, sometimes when I see them trying to throw a grenade I'll try to shoot them to see if they'll blow themselves up.
Indifferent2.gif

Speevy

Banned
CrapSandwich said:
Character design is no an excuse for unsatisfying gameplay.

I found it plenty satisfying, as did the vast majority of folks in this thread.

Do you really want the bad guys' heads to explode into brain matter, or perhaps you want Drake to cut one down with a chainsaw?

This isn't THAT game.

Z3F said:
I killed more than 20 men in that demo. Can an everyman do that?

easily.

you make it seem like this is the first time Nathan fired a gun, he clearly has had practice before, but he is no military man. He can just as easily get dropped than any of the enemies in hardmode.

DoctorWho said:
I was really looking forward to this demo and this game but I'm just not digging it and I can't put my finger on what exactly the problem is. The combat system feels uneven and the cover system feels a little broken but again I couldn't point out specifically what is bothering me. Maybe with a longer play through I'll be able to figure it out but I'm just not feeling this game.

I feel how you are not feeling this game.

Kittonwy

Banned
Flo_Evans said:
damn why can't I shot the bird and eat it like snake eater?! The opening scene is allot like snake eater. I couldn't figure out how to get my backpack out of the tree though! :lol

The AI is pretty good but then again they can see you thru walls. Try alerting them then running behind that big wall, they track you up and down even though they should not be able to see you... I wanted to try stealth but it seems once one guard sees you they have radar! Yeah sorry I want MGS4!

Guns could use some recoil. Might be lack of rumble but they feel pretty weak. Nice arm/leg hit animations and limping though!

Platforming was kind of meh, I did like the little 'reach' animation he makes when you can side jump to another ledge though!

Graphics are amazing, but why if they are doing FMV cut scenes not Put 16x AA on them? weird.

There is recoil, the aim is off because of the recoil.

Speevy said:

I keep hearing how your supposed to be Joe Everyman but judging by the games intro(Not the demo cinematic) your quite clearly an experienced archaeologist. Not really your average Joe at all, more like a heavily watered down Indiana Jones.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
How did people die a ton of times on EASY?

I played it on Normal the first time through and only died twice.

Space A Cobra said:
I keep hearing how your supposed to be Joe Everyman but judging by the games intro(Not the demo cinematic) your quite clearly an experienced archaeologist. Not really your average Joe at all, more like a heavily watered down Indiana Jones.

and Indiana Jones was an example of an everyman.

Indy was never the best at fighting, nor was he the most acrobatic guy around, he would just barely make it through some situations.

reilo said:

I died once on normal by (no joke) a barrel exploding as I ran past it.

Evlar

Banned
Space A Cobra said:
OK. Can we admit there's a gap in killing prowess between Marcus Fenix and Indiana Jones?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
sh4mike said:
I really wanted to love this game -- but I'm too damn specific in my tastes (self-absorbed action-RPG lover here).
From your impressions to this, you sound about as convincing as Major Nelson's nauseating exclamations about being a 'gamer'.
No offense, nothing against different tastes, but you spend way too much effort trying to convince the reader how they should side with you, for the apologist/rationalist bits to work.

Speevy

Banned
Space A Cobra said:

Fine, whatever. You're clearly not Marcus Fenix.

Trevelyan

Banned
reilo said:

Yeah, I don't quite understand it. I played on Normal my first time through, and never died....and never ran out of ammo either. Oh well, I'm completely in love and can't wait for the 19/20 to arrive.

Kittonwy

Banned
Elhandro said:
Is there really a point to the hand to hand combat. It seems to me like its only useful when there is like one guy standing.

Dont bother trying to melee someone when you have five other guys shooting you at the same time. As this makes a lot of sense, it does game break the ability to use your combat effectively.

Im playing on hard now, and it def a bit trickier. still having fun though

Melee is about isolation, when you're in cover and someone tries to flank you, that's when you use melee to take him out quickly without having to aim (unless you have a shotgun in which case you can just perforate teh sucker).
Indifferent2.gif

Banned
reilo said:

Enemies move around a lot more than most other games these days and don't just sit there popping in and out of cover - they actually push forward and try to flush you out. If you're not careful, I could see it being pretty easy to run out of ammo as well, as you don't get much, and you need to move around and hit triangle to pick it up rather than just running over it.

If you just stay in one spot shooting without moving around much, I could easily see the enemies flanking you and killing you on easy if you're not someone that plays this kind of game a lot, or you aren't very good at shooters.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Wow, damn. Really surprised the demo has recorded video for cutscenes! I thought they explicitly said everything was realtime?

Could it be that they recorded it into the video just for the demo? That... would be kinda weird, wouldn't that make the file(s) even bigger that way?

Gattsu25

Banned
Posting on a PS3 with the software keyboard so I'll be brief: The demo is amazing! The visuals are crisp and the texture work is very well done...the animation that impressed me the most wasn't the character animation...rather, it was the animation of the jungle, itself. The jungle is packed with trees, vines, shrubs and grass...all swaying, naturally in the breeze. The lighting model also looks amazingly natural, despite the shadows not being as high-rez as I would like. The character animation is tons better than I expected...though the transitions are not perfect. It really is refreshing to be in control of a character that doesn't move like a bowlegged refrigerator :b It's also amazing how minute some of the the animations are...in one instance I was climbing up a partially destroyed wall and noticed Drake's hands where at just the right angles to hold on to the uneven edge.

The gunplay is great IMO: a mix between RE4 and Gears, with the surprise addition of a darn good auto-aim for when you are shooting from the hip. The Gears controls only go so far as the 'O' button is concerned and only deals with the actual mechanics of getting behind cover, switching cover positions, and leaving cover. The aiming and shooting, itself is definately closer to RE4's and, in my humble opinion, the combination works really bloody good. The pistol is decently strengthed (3 body shots or 1 headshot is all it takes to take someone down); the AK-47 is very powerful feeling, though Drake has a bitch of a time dealing with its recoil; the shotgun looks, sounds, and is a death dealing monster (I have a soft spot for shotguns that are well represented, in a game's arsenal, and this game doesn't dissapoint), though the limited number of shells does prevent me from going on shotgun-only rampage; the grenades are powerful, but with a small blast radius, and are easy to use with the game's auto-aim (I did have trouble with the waggle throwing, but that mostly went away when I started considering how the grenades would roll once they landed from my throws); and the fist fighting is amazingly well-implementd (and saved my ass more than a few times in my last playthrough). The platforming controls are intuitive and work splendidly, though I did notice that some reachable ledges could not be climbed upon (and now that I think of it...some places, in non-combat areas, could not be used for cover). The jump is a little too realistic...you can't jump as far or as high as countless videogames have caused me to expect :b

I'd like to state how easily immersed I became or talk in depth about the characters and presentation but...well...hunting ond pecking this post out on the soft-keyboard has already taken me over 20 minutes and I'd rather not type anymore in :b

For what it's worth, this is game is easily a must-buy, for me...Goodnight

Chromax

Ploid 3.0 said:
And waste my bullets?! It sounds crazy but if I get rushed by angry pirates and end up with no ammo near by, someone will pay. Bullets, my precious.

I listened to him and used 8 bullets on the waters, then I got into a situation with 3 guys around me with 4 bullets left. =(

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
Speevy said:
I found it plenty satisfying, as did the vast majority of folks in this thread.

Do you really want the bad guys' heads to explode into brain matter, or perhaps you want Drake to cut one down with a chainsaw?

This isn't THAT game.

It's not about it being one thing or another, but it's got to be something good. I liked just tooling around the jungle... the adventure and platforming and plot all look like they could be great. But the demo centers around gunplay, and what's there isn't anything special.

Marconelly said:
Wow, damn. Really surprised the demo has recorded video for cutscenes! I thought they explicitly said everything was realtime?

Could it be that they recorded it into the video just for the demo? That... would be kinda weird, wouldn't that make the file(s) even bigger that way?

I suppose they could still claim "real-time" in the sense that the engine runs at the same speed and they simply recorded it to hide load times, but I doubt the GAF cognoscenti would accept that. ;)

Evlar

Banned
Did anyone else notice the enemies have the same aiming issues you have? They can pop out of cover with their guns pointing about twenty feet to the left of you, then adjust their aim.

sh4mike

Fafalada said:
From your impressions to this, you sound about as convincing as Major Nelson's nauseating exclamations about being a 'gamer'.
No offense, nothing against different tastes, but you spend way too much effort trying to convince the reader how they should side with you, for the apologist/rationalist bits to work.
I personally don't see anything wrong with rational thought. It's a testament to modern-day internet forum stupidity that, saying I don't want to buy a game but can still appreciate its top-tier production values, is viewed with suspicion and reproach. Presenting both sides of an argument is a part of my professional life.

Given disposable income and time constraints, I focus my gaming activities on perhaps 5-10 titles a year. This allows me to be quite picky with my selection. And although I recognize Uncharted is a great game, I don't believe it will be as fun as Mass Effect which comes out at a similar release date. This shouldn't require additional explanation, and it should be understandable to all but the most paranoid forum lurker.

Interesting world. Cheers.

Edit:

I post here for two reasons. First, to find like-minded individuals to share ideas with. Second, to explain to the world what games, and gameplay elements, I enjoy in the hope that additional titles will be developed in the future with gamers like me in mind.

Most forums are very black-and-white. Either hate the game or love it -- there is no middle ground. And I have enough internet experience to know that, coming into this thread and posting a non-perfect, "grey" review would cause outrage with the bipolar majority. Thus, I make an effort to soften my posts and keep the world a happier place to be. Perhaps this is disingenuous, but it's a simple adaptation to peer mentality.

Spooks

Just got done with my first play through. Absolutely loved it! I played on normal and only died twice. Plan on going through on Hard. I love the gun firing in this game and the cover system. Hand to hand fighting is really fun as well but kind of pointless if there are a bunch of guys around. Shotgun is freaking awesome. And I like how you can use the sixaxis for when you are lining up where you want your grenade to go. First day purchase for me confirmed :D.

methane47

I absolutely love the Hand to hand combat... it works "right" you can't just go up to someone and expect to win every fight... with a baddie....

and so many of the moves are context senstive.. like for instance.. one time I ran up to a guy at full speed cuz i ran out of shotty bullets and i hit the attack button... and Apparently he had just pointed his gun towards me to fire... so Drake then baseball slid in between the pirate's legs and grabbed the bad guy's gun.. pulling him down and when he was low enough... Draked threw the butt of the gun right back into the pirate's face... knocking him out cold

steve

Banned
1. Stop comparing this to Gears of War, Tomb Raider, or whatever other game you feel it deserves to be compared to.

2. Stop complaining about the opening cutscene. It's a pre-recorded video rendered using realtime in-game assets. It's not FMV, it's not CG, and it's not bull. No one's trying to fool you. The cutscene looks the same as the damn game does.

3. Enough about the tearing. It's so minimal, and this is a demo, it'll be gone in the finished version. But even if it wasn't it's so damn invisible, if that truly ruins what is essentially one of the most beautiful games we've ever seen, then you need to get outside more.

Rolf NB

sh4mike said:
I personally don't see anything wrong with rational thought. It's a testament to modern-day internet forum stupidity that, saying I don't want to buy a game but can still appreciate its top-tier production values, is viewed with suspicion and reproach. Presenting both sides of an argument is a part of my professional life.

Given disposable income and time constraints, I focus my gaming activities on perhaps 5-10 titles a year. This allows me to be quite picky with my selection. And although I recognize Uncharted is a great game, I don't believe it will be as fun as Mass Effect which comes out at a similar release date. This shouldn't require additional explanation, and it should be understandable to all but the most paranoid forum lurker.

Interesting world. Cheers.
Confirmed your own joke character status. Cheerio!
You may now fuck off professionally.

Top Bottom