• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Spike

Dot50Cal said:
Video up for the new page:

http://stage6.divx.com/user/Dot50Cal/video/1831569/Uncharted-Drake's-Fortune-Demo-Walkthrough-720p

14.jpg

Needs more bald space marines and armor, amirite?

Yay!! Thanks very much!

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
sh4mike said:
The gunplay was disappointing. My biggest complaint is L1 aim position reset after cover (e.g. if you have the baddie in scope, let go of L1 to cover, then hit L1 again, your scope will be in a different spot). Never realized how nice this was in Gears.
I was initially irked by that as well, but once I realized it wasn't really a reset, it was just a matter of where the camera ended up centered as a result of going into cover. So you just adjust the camera before you come out of cover, centering it on what you want to aim for next and I had no further problems with it. Works quite well, I think, for guns and grenades.

Gotta echo the sadistic pleasure felt by others when getting an enemy to drop a grenade. Mwahaha.

Melee was pretty satisfying. Simple combos, with satisfying feeling of connecting with the enemy.

I did wish that ND would've/could've pushed back the boundaries a bit on the areas that were in more open forest. When the walls around you are nothing more than a row of trees that's almost Uncanny Valley territory for me.

Edit: Oh yeah, really liked the inclusion to switch shoulders with L3 in the over shoulder mode. Very helpful in getting a better angle on the action in certain places.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Uncompressed audio rips from the menu music. There are 4 tracks total that play at the menu, and I also included the "roll" that plays when it shows the Sony and ND logo as a separate audio file. These were recorded via optical so they shouldn't vary much from the files on the disc. These are wav versions. If someone wants mp3's let me know and Ill get them up for you too.

I named them by what emotions they evoke, so don't be surprised if you don't like the names or they are totally wrong for the context of the game :lol

http://dot50cal.the-horror.com/gaf/Uncharted Demo Audio Rips.rar - 40MB

I liked the demo enough not to cancel my preorder, but I'm not blown away. Everyone knows the positives, so let me just list my gripes:

- Sticky cover. I was trying to roll out of a doorway but I kept going into cover on either side of the door. Same problem that Gears had, but you don't get any of the cool cover to cover moves here (unless I'm missing something).

- Loose controls. This is mostly due to the animation, but the controls were more like Tomb Raider than I expected from Naughty Dog, especially given how tight the controls in the Jak and Crash games were. On the positive side, Nathan doesn't seem to be as picky about what he'll grab as Lara.

- Kinda/sorta weak combat. The guns and the combat in general is just not as visceral as I would like. The guns feel weak and the aiming is too loose, especially for the PS3 analog sticks. The aiming doesn't feel as natural as it does in Ratchet, or Gears for that matter. Part of it is likely because the enemies are so damn skinny.

- Randomly spawning enemies. When I clear out an area and bust down a gate to go into a new area, enemies should NOT be coming from behind me. This happened to me three times in a row at the same spot, so it appears to be scripted this way, which is unfortunate b/c you wouldn't expect a rookie mistake like this from Naughty Dog. Hopefully this is fairly rare.

- Inconsistent graphics. It's obviously a beautiful game, but it turned out to look more "video gamey" than I thought it would based on the videos and screencaps I'd seen. Something with the lighting and coloring is off a bit compared to games like Crysis or COD4.

However, I love a good action/adventure game and I can't wait for this, especially after suffering through Tomb Raider Anniversary's combat and overall rigidity this past week. I just wish they would've had another 6 months to really tweak and polish the hell out of the game.

And I know I bitched a bit, but thanks a ton to Naughty Dog for at least giving us a demo!

tanod

when is my burrito
Out of that whole post, the only specific point you made to say that you think Gears cover is "better" is:
dante786 said:
Gears is a shooter, pure shooter, so its much more important to be able to get into cover immediately when you have to. Uncharted doesn't do this or allow you to change from cover to cover as well as Gears does, in my opinion.

and you conclude with:
Again, the games are different, and I really do love the way uncharted feels, I just have to strongly disagree about your point of this game improving Gears cover mechanic substantially. It's different, and I might concede the animation of going into and being in cover is better, the functionality of it certainly isn't great than Gears.

That's not much of an argument. If the functionality is so much better for you to strongly disagree with me, you can do a lot better than one point. Especially when that point essentially boils down to "you can zip into/between cover faster."

I would call that artificial and jerky. In Gears, when you press the "cover" button, you often times get stuck to cover where you don't want to be. Push cover button, suck to nearest cover is how it works. There is limited freedom to exactly how you go into cover. Uncharted improves on that point specifically by allowing you more freedom of movement behind and between cover and freedom of movement means more combat maneuverability and therefore an improved mechanic.

-Rogue5-

I think people who are poo-pooing this game are either incredibly jaded or absolutely retarded... probably just the latter.

Judging from the demo, this game has a lot of potential. The only way I can see it flopping is if it gets massively repetitive (which is a possibility with any game, really.) One things for sure, there isn't anything like this exclusive to the 360... Actually, there isn't anything like Ratchet (platformer) on 360 either.

This is a prime example of what Phil Harrison has been saying about the importance of having a wide-range of 1st party software. If the PS3 doesn't completely fail soon, it'll be interesting to see what kind of software comes out for the system through the rest of the lifecycle.

Tideas

Banned
dammitmattt said:
I liked the demo enough not to cancel my preorder, but I'm not blown away. Everyone knows the positives, so let me just list my gripes:

- Sticky cover. I was trying to roll out of a doorway but I kept going into cover on either side of the door. Same problem that Gears had, but you don't get any of the cool cover to cover moves here (unless I'm missing something).

- Loose controls. This is mostly due to the animation, but the controls were more like Tomb Raider than I expected from Naughty Dog, especially given how tight the controls in the Jak and Crash games were. On the positive side, Nathan doesn't seem to be as picky about what he'll grab as Lara.

- Kinda/sorta weak combat. The guns and the combat in general is just not as visceral as I would like. The guns feel weak and the aiming is too loose, especially for the PS3 analog sticks. The aiming doesn't feel as natural as it does in Ratchet, or Gears for that matter. Part of it is likely because the enemies are so damn skinny.

- Randomly spawning enemies. When I clear out an area and bust down a gate to go into a new area, enemies should NOT be coming from behind me. This happened to me three times in a row at the same spot, so it appears to be scripted this way, which is unfortunate b/c you wouldn't expect a rookie mistake like this from Naughty Dog. Hopefully this is fairly rare.

- Inconsistent graphics. It's obviously a beautiful game, but it turned out to look more "video gamey" than I thought it would based on the videos and screencaps I'd seen. Something with the lighting and coloring is off a bit compared to games like Crysis or COD4.

However, I love a good action/adventure game and I can't wait for this, especially after suffering through Tomb Raider Anniversary's combat and overall rigidity this past week. I just wish they would've had another 6 months to really tweak and polish the hell out of the game.

And I know I bitched a bit, but thanks a ton to Naughty Dog for at least giving us a demo!

this is for all you trolls out there. This is how you can intelligently critique a game.

dammitmattt said:
- Inconsistent graphics. It's obviously a beautiful game, but it turned out to look more "video gamey" than I thought it would based on the videos and screencaps I'd seen. Something with the lighting and coloring is off a bit compared to games like Crysis or COD4

It's a heavily stylized presentation; it's not designed to emulate reality like Crysis (or poorly emulate reality, like COD4). Nor sure what any of that has to do with being inconsistent though.

Dot50Cal

Banned
sprocket said:
too bad most of it is false. lol

Truth. I never had guys spawn behind me, especially when I was kicking a gate down. Sounds to me like someone missed some enemies before continuing.

Zeke

Brav fucking O Naughty Dog. I really like how they intergrated the sixaxis with throwing the grenades. I like the colors finally something that pops with color instead of these dark bland levels. Everything seemed really fluid. The music is great the level looks gorgeous and the controls were really easy to pick up. Naughty Dog has done some outstanding work and it really shows in this game. Great work Naughty Dog! Will buy.

dammitmattt said:
Sticky cover. I was trying to roll out of a doorway but I kept going into cover on either side of the door. Same problem that Gears had, but you don't get any of the cool cover to cover moves here (unless I'm missing something).

I didnt mind this that much. Cover system seemed good to me.

I thought the controls were loose, but in a different way than Tomb Raider. I HATE the tilt mechanism's use while crossing the fallen logs.

You are gonna hate on those guys because they cant earn a good enough living to eat? DAMN. Seriously, the guns aren't as robust as gears, but they are realistic relative to their real world impressions. An AK47 is a firecracker compared to the nuke-level weaponry seen in Gears.

It looks more 'cartoony' than I expected. Even the screenshots in this thread look more realistic than the game in motion. My bigger issue are the forced rows of trees that make up the game level boundaries.

I am still getting it.

methane47

Tideas said:
I haven't played the demo yet, so I wouldn't know :p. But at least he made it seem intelligently

Yeah there are no random spawning of enemies... if an enemy is shooting you from behind.. chances are he was there the whole time

Im asian or european or infact anything but american so i cant join in the fun, i hope this region codeing of things isnt a sign of things to come. not happy at all, it will take scee till next year to get this demo out on the eu psn.:lol

AltogetherAndrews said:
It's a heavily stylized presentation; it's not designed to emulate reality like Crysis (or poorly emulate reality, like COD4). Nor sure what any of that has to do with being inconsistent though.

It's inconsistent in that you have an incredibly realistic main character who is almost perfectly lit while the background and the fauna have a tiny bit of the "plastic sheen" going on. It's hard to explain, but they don't fit together perfectly.

Dot50Cal said:
. I never had guys spawn behind me, especially when I was kicking a gate down. Sounds to me like someone missed some enemies before continuing

It's the part after you kill the guys in the courtyard, climb on top of the pillars and jump over to the ledge. I looked around the courtyard (admiring the scenery) for a minute or two before I kicked in the door. I took out the first two guys with a grenade and then take cover to take out the wave coming in from the right. All of the sudden I start getting blasted from behind and I turn around to see a dude running in the doorway. I try to run out the doorway while rolling except I get stuck to the doorway and die. The enemy comes from behind me the second time, but at least I knew he was coming so I killed him.

sprocket said:
too bad most of it is false. lol

Great analysis!!!

Zeke said:
Brav fucking O Naughty Dog. I really like how they intergrated the sixaxis with throwing the grenades.

Unfortunately by the time you get to tilting the sixaxis to lob the grenade the right distance, the f-ing enemies have moved elsewhere!!!

methane47

dammitmattt said:
It's inconsistent in that you have an incredibly realistic main character who is almost perfectly lit while the background and the fauna have a tiny bit of the "plastic sheen" going on. It's hard to explain, but they don't fit together perfectly.

Sounds like you've never seen a rain forest in real life

dammitmattt said:
It's the part after you kill the guys in the courtyard, climb on top of the pillars and jump over to the ledge. I looked around the courtyard (admiring the scenery) for a minute or two before I kicked in the door. I took out the first two guys with a grenade and then take cover to take out the wave coming in from the right. All of the sudden I start getting blasted from behind and I turn around to see a dude running in the doorway. I try to run out the doorway while rolling except I get stuck to the doorway and die. The enemy comes from behind me the second time, but at least I knew he was coming so I killed him.

When you kick in the door.. look to your upper left... There is a broken down piece of wall where enemies Jump over then climb down a vine after their buddies alert them that something is wrong.. there's no random spawning here.

-Rogue5-

AltogetherAndrews said:

Yeah, I was gonna say that I like the graphical style more than CoD4, simply because CoD4 doesn't do "realistic visuals" as well as something like Crysis and it ends up being a little jarring and unnatural... The wet & organic look of Uncharted, while not realistic, adds a lot to the jungle and it's atmosphere...

...but then again, I'm one of the few people that like the look of WindWaker (which everyone seems to hate because it looks too "kiddy".)

Zeke

antoniogaud said:
Unfortunately by the time you get to tilting the sixaxis to lob the grenade the right distance, the f-ing enemies have moved elsewhere!!!
it takes some practice I was able to frag three people real quick before they were able to try and close in on me. One guy was a direct hit the other two were taken out from the blast radius. It seemed like it took forever to drop an enemy unless you got a head shot, even with the AK it took a little too many shots to drop an enemy.

methane47 said:
When you kick in the door.. look to your upper left... There is a broken down piece of wall where enemies Jump over then climb down a vine after their buddies alert them that something is wrong.. there's no random spawning here.

I'm just relating what I saw. I hope you're right :)

-Rogue5- said:
I think people who are poo-pooing this game are either incredibly jaded or absolutely retarded... probably just the latter.

I am retarded because I didn't drink enough of your happy pony kool-aid? Please. The game is fun but is certainly not perfect and NOT the AAA game that will drive holiday sales to non PS3 owners.

antoniogaud said:
I am retarded because I didn't drink enough of your happy pony kool-aid? Please. The game is fun but is certainly not perfect and NOT the AAA game that will drive holiday sales to non PS3 owners.

That's not constructive, whether it's true or not. This isn't the thread for that.

Snah

Banned
I don't see how anyone could come away from the demo being unimpressed.

Graphically, the game is absolutely amazing and it is the most impressive game I've seen to date. Gameplay wise, it's a diverse mix of platforming and action which really keeps the player engaged and interested enough to keep moving.

Tideas

Banned
antoniogaud said:

save that for the official uncharted thread. this is demo impressions. bye

Surreal

dammitmattt said:

After you kill the two guys and bust open the door, three guys climb down from a ledge on the left connecting the later area to the one you are in. At this time guys also come from the right. Because you're facing the guys on the right, it seems they came from behind, but they did not come from the gate you just smashed. On hard you basically have you smash the gate down, walk in, and walk out so it triggers the enemies, then pick them off from the hole in the wall left of the gate.

Well, i dont think calling anyone who has 'negative' comments retarded is constructive, but I guess you missed that.

Like I said, very good but not great demo.

EDIT: WOW some of you guys are sensitive to negative comments about the demo. I have a PS3 so I don't know what you think my motivation is besides actually having an opinion that differs from yours.

Evlar

Banned
antoniogaud said:
Well, i dont think calling anyone who has 'negative' comments retarded is constructive, but I guess you missed that.

Like I said, very good but not great demo.
Yes. You've said it and said it and said it and said it and said it. I predict you'll say it again on this page.

Kittonwy

Banned
dante786 said:
I would argue that while the shooting and cover mechanics work great, they don't refine or improve on Gears. They're different, but certainly not better.

Gears is a shooter, pure shooter, so its much more important to be able to get into cover immediately when you have to. Uncharted doesnt do this or allow you to change from cover to cover as well as Gears does, in my opinion. The combat also doesn't seem to be more "refined" to me either. That isn't to say its worse, its just different. I wouldnt say it works better than gears though, because really, what about aiming and shooting in Gears was off?

Again, the games are different, and I really do love the way uncharted feels, I just have to strongly disagree about your point of this game improving Gears cover mechanic substantially. It's different, and I might concede the animation of going into and being in cover is better, the functionality of it certainly isn't great than Gears.

Actually you can roll from one cover to another cover while staying in cover, in Uncharted popping out of cover to get off a few shots and popping back in is actually quicker than Gears, instead of slowly sliding along a wall, you can roll from one end of the wall to another, again you would still stay in cover mode, it's just faster, and the actual shooting mechanics relies more on skill than just the whole cover-aim cheesing that allows you to line-up your shot by inching it bit by bit. Overall shooting is more skill-based and character movement is just quicker.

Snah

Banned
Speevy said:
A great demo is one that provides an accurate impression of how a great game looks and plays.

which is exactly what the uncharted demo does. nails the look and feel of the game perfectly.

i dont know why anyone is complaining about something as trivial as SixAxis control on the logs. I felt it was very easy to get used to and isn't frustrating at all.

OK, I will say something positive: The framerate is awesome and the combat is very fun. I can see myself playing this game through the entire storyline. The engine is definitely something to be proud of, and shows off the PS3's abilities very well, perhaps better than any other game.

I only posted the downside because it felt like some people were praising the game higher than it deserved.

Avalon

Snah said:
i dont know why anyone is complaining about something as trivial as SixAxis control on the logs. I felt it was very easy to get used to and isn't frustrating at all.

Why have it in the game at all if it's going to be to be utilized so poorly? It remind me of the whole circle drawing in Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow... it's just awkward and intrusive. Excellent demo, but the Sixaxis controls are very poor.

Snah

Banned
Avalon said:
Why have it in the game at all if it's going to be to be utilized so poorly? It remind me of the whole circle drawing in Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow... it's just awkward and intrusive. Excellent demo, but the Sixaxis controls are very poor.

What do you mean utilized poorly? I don't even find it intrusive when you get the hang of it. It's really not a big deal.

antoniogaud said:
WOW some of you guys are sensitive to negative comments about the demo. I have a PS3 so I don't know what you think my motivation is besides actually having an opinion that differs from yours.

Oh please. Your history here paints a pretty clear picture of your "motivation", and throwing out that ridiculous "I'm just an honest observer" bullshit card doesn't make it any better.

antoniogaud said:
I only posted the downside because it felt like some people were praising the game higher than it deserved.

Ah, the great leveling, true to character of all honest observers. :lol

Top Bottom