• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Agent X

The demo was great fun!

I started off on Normal, and made it all the way through, suffering only one defeat during the process. As others have pointed out, the enemy AI is very good for a game of this type, as they utilize cover, try to move in closer, then spread out and try to flank you.

Although the shooting action was good, I found the hand-to-hand fighting to be more satisfying, but barely got to utilize it as almost every enemy appeared to be packing a gun and I didn't want to risk getting shot up. I hope there are more melee situations in the full game.

Dante said:
:lol Goddamn i love it when they drop the grenades.

Yes, that happened during my game, too! :D

Dot50Cal

Banned
Avalon said:
Why have it in the game at all if it's going to be to be utilized so poorly? It remind me of the whole circle drawing in Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow... it's just awkward and intrusive. Excellent demo, but the Sixaxis controls are very poor.

I thought it was an excellent use. Understanding how it reacts is key, and works very well when you wrap your head around it.

fronn

If the demo is anything like the full game then this is definitely in the running for GoTY (at least in my book -- so is Ratchet N Clank).

This second half of the year is nuts... Halo 3, Bioshock, probably Mass Effect, Heavenly Sword, Ratchet, Uncharted, SMG and then excellent stuff like CoD4 and probably Assassin's Creed.

Dot50Cal

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
Oh please. Your history here paints a pretty clear picture of your "motivation", and throwing out that ridiculous "I'm just an honest observer" bullshit card doesn't make it any better.

No kidding:

antoniogaud said:
Can I bet you a 1-month ban that in November and December Halo3 outsells BOTH Ratchet and Clank and Uncharted?

AltogetherAndrews said:
Oh please. Your history here paints a pretty clear picture of your "motivation", and throwing out that ridiculous "I'm just an honest observer" bullshit card doesn't make it any better.

Perhaps you would like to explain? Its easy to say something vacant like that without evidence. I love to play games and own all three next-gen consoles so what exactly is my 'motivation'?

As for my bet, that doesn't mean I want the PS3 to fail. I just hate it when some of you guys think that any good game is automatically elevated to GREAT status just because it is on PS3.

Halo3 is a very good game, with lots of the same flaws that Uncharted has. For all the money and time spent on it it should have been much more artistically refined.

Evlar

Banned
Personally I had no problems with either motion-control mechanic. On the logs I slipped once by leaning the wrong way and not adjusting quickly enough, Drake caught himself and I had to push triangle to get back up: an inconvenience of about three seconds, not a big deal. After that no problems, and it does emulate walking on a tree limb well enough. The grenades work fine (except I need to get the timing down better, they take longer to go off than I'm used to, but that's not really an aiming issue).

I guess maybe I have more practice at this stuff than some of you, honestly these mechanics were easy and sensible in context.

Surreal

Dot50Cal said:
I thought it was an excellent use. Understanding how it reacts is key, and works very well when you wrap your head around it.

Eh, the grenades didn't work for me. Glad I can use the right stick, I'd probably just not use nades if I couldn't.

methane47

Avalon said:
Why have it in the game at all if it's going to be to be utilized so poorly? It remind me of the whole circle drawing in Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow... it's just awkward and intrusive. Excellent demo, but the Sixaxis controls are very poor.

Works fine for me... this makes me wonder if some of you are holding the sixaxis in the vulcan mind meld or something ...

6jq4duu.jpg

just loosen up your grip a little bit guys.. this isn't prison.. no one will steal the controller from you...

The Controls work FINE... I fell off the log the first time I tried... Ever since then.. I have been mostly perfect going across (not slipping off the edge at all.. and keeping my hands level for most of the trip)

antoniogaud said:
Perhaps you would like to explain? Its easy to say something vacant like that without evidence. I love to play games and own all three next-gen consoles so what exactly is my 'motivation'?

Gimme a break. You got nothing.

Again, oh please. Do whatever the fuck you want, but you could at least have the e-spine to stand behind your shit? You've bitched, bitched and bitched about all things PS3 for as long as I've seen you post, and now you're trying to play some unbiased gamer card. It's ridiculous, but by all means, be smarmy.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
on the topic of motion control... i didn't like it, it works fine don't get me wrong, but first off the log thing was incredibly gimmicky just not necessary at all really and with the grenades it really throws me off it's doable, but it's not precise enough. i was just wondering is there any way to turn that off? It's not in options.

antoniogaud said:
I just hate it when some of you guys think that any good game is automatically elevated to GREAT status just because it is on PS3.

You hate that? Why? You're the great leveler of course, but why?

And hey, on that topic, who are you to make judgments about the motivations of others?

sprocket

Banned
For the balancing across the logs . you don't really balance . you just tilt the controller fully to opposite side you are leaning .

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
antoniogaud said:
Well, i dont think calling anyone who has 'negative' comments retarded is constructive, but I guess you missed that.

Like I said, very good but not great demo.

EDIT: WOW some of you guys are sensitive to negative comments about the demo. I have a PS3 so I don't know what you think my motivation is besides actually having an opinion that differs from yours.
How about giving details about the demo guys instead of just giving some bullshit generalistic comments that come out more like trolling than anything else. Is not about opinion is about the bullshit one liners like "well its not great", "No deal for me, I am getting Mass Effect" Anyone who saids the latter in this thread should seriously get banned. There is no excuse for that shit!

still havent played the demo my internet hates me

AltogetherAndrews said:
Again, oh please. Do whatever the fuck you want, but you could at least have the e-spine to stand behind your shit? You've bitched, bitched and bitched about all things PS3 for as long as I've seen you post, and now you're trying to play some unbiased gamer card. It's ridiculous, but by all means, be smarmy.

Big talk, m'man... big talk.

I have plenty of complaints (and love) for all 3 of my next-gen consoles. I didn't know GAF was supposed to be a love-fest for everything PS3, X360 or Wii.

I already said I am getting Uncharted, and that it is a fun game. I am not the sort of gamer that either loves or hates a game 100%. The good in Uncharted outweighs the bad in my opinion:

THE GOOD
- Smooth as butter framerate
- Fun action shooting
- Great overall environment design
- Good texture work
- Original take on Tomb-Raider

THE BAD
- Bland character design
- Enemies can get shot in the head (several times) without dying
- Parts of the environments (the edges) seem 'forced'

I downloaded this while I was doing my homework for the night and as a reward I installed and began to play the demo for Dude Raider.

It took me a minute or two to get beyond the very frist area when you begin to play the demo. I just wandered around gawking at the trees, the vegetation, how the light and shadows play off of both, how everything sways as if in a gentle breeze, the grass that parts at my feet as I walk around. HOLY SHIT. Then I start to actually play the demo.

In the first gun fight I'm a little put off by the fact that you don't have a persistant targeting reticle so thatyou can take a bead before you pop out from the corner. After a few more fire fights I was getting down with eye balling.

Now I'm an impatient mofo, so when I go to that first courtyard (for lack of a better term/word)I shoot at the enemies, killing one, before even jumping down the cliff. Mistake that. I ended up running out of ammo for my pistol, missed the AK that was on my left, and died doing a suicide rush for another weapon. Restart, this time I jump down and take cover before firing, see the AK to my left, kill all the enemies in the lower courtyard and rush in. Mistake again, dudes on the upper ledge, die again. Although I died in style beating the crap out of one of the pirates witha slow-mo melee attack. Try again, jump down the ledge, grab the AK, rush at one of the pirates while he has his back turned thinking I'll knock him out with a punch, grab his AK and have an even better chance. Pressed square, and heard a satisfying crunch as Drake broke the dude's neck instead. AWESOME!

Snah

Banned
antoniogaud said:
Big talk, m'man... big talk.

I have plenty of complaints (and love) for all 3 of my next-gen consoles. I didn't know GAF was supposed to be a love-fest for everything PS3, X360 or Wii.

I already said I am getting Uncharted, and that it is a fun game. I am not the sort of gamer that either loves or hates a game 100%.

yes, but you just seemed to jump right out there and post nothing but complaints.

sorry dude, but i think that itself is a bit disingenuous.

if I just got done playing a demo I really liked and am still going to purchase, I don't go on a forum and just rip the shit out of every trivial and small detail.

+ Graphics are nice
+ The movie is nice
+ The controls are okay (why two reload buttons?)
- Gears of War-aiming is not good for fast moving enemies
+ Good animation
- Some wonky transitions

Perhaps I hyped myself a bit too much in this case. Good demo, but not great.

methane47 said:
http://stage6.divx.com/user/Dot50Cal/video/1831569/Uncharted-Drake's-Fortune-Demo-Walkthrough-720p
If you look at Dot50Cal's video.. and go to timestamp 10:35 you will see the 3 guys drop down. And notice that no one comes from behind him. again.. there is no random spawning

Again, that's cool. I must've missed the guys, but in my game one of the definitely got separated and he definitely was shooting me from the doorway!

I'm just really glad to hear that I was mistaken in assuming he was a random spawn. That kind of shit kills my enjoyment of games and I'm glad that it is not the case with Uncharted. I didn't think Naughty Dog would've done that.

Kittonwy said:
Actually you can roll from one cover to another cover while staying in cover, in Uncharted popping out of cover to get off a few shots and popping back in is actually quicker than Gears, instead of slowly sliding along a wall, you can roll from one end of the wall to another, again you would still stay in cover mode, it's just faster, and the actual shooting mechanics relies more on skill than just the whole cover-aim cheesing that allows you to line-up your shot by inching it bit by bit. Overall shooting is more skill-based and character movement is just quicker.

I'm not sure how much you played Gears, but I don't see how Uncharted is an improvement on Gears in any real way. Nathan is a bit more nimble, but you had better control of your aiming plus blind fire in Gears, so to me it's a wash. Also, how do you move from cover to cover like you can in Gears? I tried it on the columns that were close together and no dice. You can do it, but it's not automatic.

Okin

AltogetherAndrews said:

Bickering like this is ruining threads. Who cares if he's got a negative opinion? Let him have his preference and stop acting like it's such a personal insult. I'd rather read about game impressions than evidence as to why so-and-so hates a console.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Shit guys, The FUN level of this thread is approaching maximum! antoniogaud approaches to tell us all how we shouldn't like things as much as we do, because its a poor feature and how he will be using 360's equivalent this Christmas!

methane47

Dot50Cal said:
Shit guys, The FUN level of this thread is approaching maximum! antoniogaud approaches to tell us all how we shouldn't like things as much as we too, because its a poor feature and how he will be using 360 themes this Christmas!

Dont forget that the female lead is odd looking = NO SALE!!

methane47

dammitmattt said:
Again, that's cool. I must've missed the guys, but in my game one of the definitely got separated and he definitely was shooting me from the doorway!

I'm just really glad to hear that I was mistaken in assuming he was a random spawn. That kind of shit kills my enjoyment of games and I'm glad that it is not the case with Uncharted. I didn't think Naughty Dog would've done that.

I hate that nonsense as well.. Clear out an entire area... but once you pass a check mark.. enemies spawn behind you and bamm... you die because of cheat gameplay...

While I DO think that there will be something like this in the full game... (sadly) i knew it wasn't in the demo at least

Dot50Cal said:
Shit guys, The FUN level of this thread is approaching maximum! antoniogaud approaches to tell us all how we shouldn't like things as much as we do, because its a poor feature and how he will be using 360's equivalent this Christmas!

Dude, I dont know you and you definitely don't know anything about me. Just talk about the game.

I just love the attention to detail inthis game. I stopped walking Drake off of a slight edge soI could gawk at some of the scenery and then I realised Drake was balancing on one leg on the ledge and was shifting around to keep his balance. It's such a minor thing, but they paid so much attention to such a minor action. It's just...cool.

Finally finished downloading.

The demo is definitely fun. Good, but not great. There's certainly potential for greatness though. Really, my biggest complaint is that it's far too short. 1.2 gigs for that?

I wish I had a proper TV to play it on. :(

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
dammitmattt said:
Also, how do you move from cover to cover like you can in Gears? I tried it on the columns that were close together and no dice. You can do it, but it's not automatic.

hold the analog in the direction you're going to jump towards and press circle, he goes automatically.

methane47 said:
Dont forget that the female lead is odd looking = NO SALE!!

I didn't say NO SALE, but come on... she IS odd looking. Sort of like a stay at home mom who is on a grand adventure with her son.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
antoniogaud said:
Dude, I dont know you and you definitely don't know anything about me. Just talk about the game.
GTFO already havent you recieved enough shit? You obviously have an agenda since you keep at it. 20/20 of your comments had no description of the actual demo and were general comments anyone could have made from watching videos so please spare us your extensive review/criticism of the game.

zedge

Cool demo but I have no sound..

PS3 is connected to receiver with optical cable.

I have noticed this on a couple other demos too..

Evlar

Banned
msdstc said:
on the topic of motion control... i didn't like it, it works fine don't get me wrong, but first off the log thing was incredibly gimmicky just not necessary at all really and with the grenades it really throws me off it's doable, but it's not precise enough. i was just wondering is there any way to turn that off? It's not in options.
Since this wasn't answered... I don't think you can turn it off but you can aim up and down with the right analog stick. It's slower than the motion control but it works fine.

Dot50Cal

Banned
zedge said:

This one supports 5.1, so check your settings and make sure its not going to DTS or something else your receiver doesn't support.

inner-G

Banned
zedge said:

You probably have sound formats selected in your audio settings that your reciever can't support.

Evlar

Banned
zedge said:

Go into options and change the output, I'd suggest trying Dolby Digital 5.1 and if that doesn't work go over to Pro Logic II (virtually all receivers can at least get stereo sound out of a PL2 source). I would also suggest checking your Audio settings in the XMB when you get an opportunity: It apparently is set to output audio your receiver can't handle. The culprit is likely DTS 5.1. Removing it will prevent this from happening in the future.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Gattsu25 said:
The gunplay is great IMO: a mix between RE4 and Gears, with the surprise addition of a darn good auto-aim for when you are shooting from the hip. The Gears controls only go so far as the 'O' button is concerned and only deals with the actual mechanics of getting behind cover, switching cover positions, and leaving cover. The aiming and shooting, itself is definately closer to RE4's and, in my humble opinion, the combination works really bloody good. The pistol is decently strengthed (3 body shots or 1 headshot is all it takes to take someone down); the AK-47 is very powerful feeling, though Drake has a bitch of a time dealing with its recoil; the shotgun looks, sounds, and is a death dealing monster (I have a soft spot for shotguns that are well represented, in a game's arsenal, and this game doesn't dissapoint), though the limited number of shells does prevent me from going on shotgun-only rampage; the grenades are powerful, but with a small blast radius, and are easy to use with the game's auto-aim (I did have trouble with the waggle throwing, but that mostly went away when I started considering how the grenades would roll once they landed from my throws); and the fist fighting is amazingly well-implementd (and saved my ass more than a few times in my last playthrough). The platforming controls are intuitive and work splendidly, though I did notice that some reachable ledges could not be climbed upon (and now that I think of it...some places, in non-combat areas, could not be used for cover). The jump is a little too realistic...you can't jump as far or as high as countless videogames have caused me to expect :b
Sounds great. If the gameplay is going to be as good as RE4's, then I'm definately going to buy this game.

methane47

antoniogaud said:
I didn't say NO SALE, but come on... she IS odd looking. Sort of like a stay at home mom who is on a grand adventure with her son.

You should be happy... because this is what real life female treasure hunters look like
PearsallD.jpg

Top Bottom