• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Tortfeasor

Quick impressions:

I like the idea of these open environments, but really while the game is painted to look like it is open, it is really just a series of "arenas". The gun damage seemed off... I would pump 6 or more bullets into the enemies with the machine gun before they would go down. The enemy AI was at times good and at times bad. Several times enemies would duck for cover leaving their heads or torso completely open. The health system is weak and made the game quite easy. Even on my first play-through I only died when attempting melee combat. Whenever I stuck behind cover and shot baddies, I was able to take my time and heal without the enemies pressing me too much. Graphics were really pretty with some really nice effects.... The blur effect is especially nice.

I guess I am left with the overall impression that the game is pretty much Prince of Persia with gun play. I would have to wait for more impressions of the full game before deciding to pick it up, as I would guess that the combat would get old after awhile. If the game throws in some nice puzzles (none were really evident in the demo) it would be worth picking up imho.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
zedge said:
Cool demo but I have no sound..

PS3 is connected to receiver with optical cable.

I have noticed this on a couple other demos too..

Try changing the sound output format via the Start menu.

This might be a first for me, but I actually wish there was more auto-aim. It may be that I'm expecting it to play like Gears, or maybe Rainbow, but the gunplay feels weird.

Rolf NB

It's always a great sign for a game when the detractors have nothing else to criticize but "bububu I don't know either why exactly it doesn't set my world on fire" and "this videogame stuff challenges me, my win button doesn't seem to work".

GOTY confirmed going by that. It's a value eleven. Flawless orb of shine. All over me.

One big positive, despite a generally negative feel about the gunplay, is the behavior and motion of the enemies. They really feel like lifted straight out of a classical action movie, exaggerated stances and all.

Awntawn

I love how the enemies react to your shots even when you miss them. You whizz a bullet by someone's ear and they flinch and sprint the hell out ;D They seem to know that they die in 3 hits 3;

Rolf NB

Tortfeasor said:
Quick impressions:

I like the idea of these open environments, but really while the game is painted to look like it is open, it is really just a series of "arenas". The gun damage seemed off... I would pump 6 or more bullets into the enemies with the machine gun before they would go down. The enemy AI was at times good and at times bad. Several times enemies would duck for cover leaving their heads or torso completely open. The health system is weak and made the game quite easy. Even on my first play-through I only died when attempting melee combat. Whenever I stuck behind cover and shot baddies, I was able to take my time and heal without the enemies pressing me too much. Graphics were really pretty with some really nice effects.... The blur effect is especially nice.
Wow, we always knew that Naughty Dog is quick to incorporate community feedback, but this is unprecedented. Just a few pages back we had a professional non-gamer and his trainee complaining about too much difficultiness on easy mode, and now they've already gone in and toned it down! Kudos!

Speevy

Banned
I don't understand how it could feel weird. You aim, you shoot. I'm not overly familiar with shooters and it felt pretty straightforward to me.

Banned
So where are people finding this extra-hard mode where enemies don't die in one hit from a headshot?

I'm playing through on hard again now, making a point of only going for headshots and it's killing everyone in one hit.

Speevy said:
I don't understand how it could feel weird. You aim, you shoot. I'm not overly familiar with shooters and it felt pretty straightforward to me.

Maybe that's it, I'm very familiar with shooters and this doesn't feel like one. It's probably not meant to, but it feels weird nonetheless.

Evlar

Banned
Speevy said:
I'm with you. Perhaps it feels ok to me because (I hesitate to say this) I've never played Gears of War or GRAW or some of the other shooters mentioned.

FPS I'm quite familiar with so I'm not exactly the Noob Apostle.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Tortfeasor said:
Quick impressions:

I guess I am left with the overall impression that the game is pretty much Prince of Persia with gun play. I would have to wait for more impressions of the full game before deciding to pick it up, as I would guess that the combat would get old after awhile. If the game throws in some nice puzzles (none were really evident in the demo) it would be worth picking up imho.

yah? try playing the game on hard... you stand still to recharge they flank you, aaaaand ya done.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
There was a point in Dot50Cal's vid where an enemy dives out from low cover to take a shot at you which I hadn't seen in my own play through. But then, made me wish the player could do that too...is it possible to shoot while diving? Didn't think to try it while playing.

psycho_snake said:
Sounds great. If the gameplay is going to be as good as RE4's, then I'm definately going to buy this game.
RE games are all about atmosphere. I know this isn't survival horror, but I'm really hoping that it has an equally good atmosphere, albeit of a different variety.

I am definitely very excited about this game.

beerbelly

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
Maybe that's it, I'm very familiar with shooters and this doesn't feel like one. It's probably not meant to, but it feels weird nonetheless.
edit: nevermind. I guess i was watching old footage.

Evlar

Banned
kaching said:
There was a point in Dot50Cal's vid where an enemy dives out from low cover to take a shot at you which I hadn't seen in my own play through. But then, made me wish the player could do that too...is it possible to shoot while diving? Didn't think to try it while playing.
Just tried. Nope, can't do it by running and pressing O or by crouching behind cover, pressing away from the edge and pressing O.

-Rogue5-

I really hope there are some levels that are back in the city prior to them leaving for the island in the demo... like Drake and the documentary girl meeting up and him finding the map in coffin at a museum or something. Like I hope that stuff isn't just glanced over via cutscenes.

For example, remember how in Half-Life you actually played through all the steps of getting Gordon to work and suited up for putting the anomolous material into the machine that caused the resonance cascade? There wasn't anything particularly exciting about it, but it added tons to the game's immersion... I hope they have that kind of playable setup/backstory in Uncharted.

EDIT: The wetting of clothes really is a nice touch/detail.

Pachimari

B-Ri said:
I think theres an error in the demo because it said to hit Square Triangle Square to do some crazy combo, but triangle wouldnt do anything.
It's supposed to work like that, the combat isn't easy noir in the beta. Gonna play the review copy in six hours.

-Rogue5- said:
I really hope there are some levels that are back in the city prior to them leaving for the island in the demo... like Drake and the documentary girl meeting up and him finding the map in coffin at a museum or something. Like I hope that stuff isn't just glanced over via cutscenes.

For example, remember how in Half-Life you actually played through all the steps of getting Gordon to work and suited up for putting the anomolous material into the machine that caused the resonance cascade? There wasn't anything particularly exciting about it, but it added tons to the game's immersion... I hope they have that kind of playable setup/backstory in Uncharted.

EDIT: The wetting of clothes really is a nice touch/detail.

nope, they're saving that stuff for Uncharted Begins.

Kittonwy

Banned
dammitmattt said:
Again, that's cool. I must've missed the guys, but in my game one of the definitely got separated and he definitely was shooting me from the doorway!

I'm just really glad to hear that I was mistaken in assuming he was a random spawn. That kind of shit kills my enjoyment of games and I'm glad that it is not the case with Uncharted. I didn't think Naughty Dog would've done that.

I'm not sure how much you played Gears, but I don't see how Uncharted is an improvement on Gears in any real way. Nathan is a bit more nimble, but you had better control of your aiming plus blind fire in Gears, so to me it's a wash. Also, how do you move from cover to cover like you can in Gears? I tried it on the columns that were close together and no dice. You can do it, but it's not automatic.

Nathan isn't a "bit" more nimble, he's WAY more nimble, and there's more interesting terrain advantage in Uncharted. As for moving from cover to cover, if you're on the left cover, just move your stick right and if there's a cover nearby you'll enter the other cover. If you want to unstick from the cover and go forward, just push forward on the stick and press X. As long as Drake is reasonably close to a cover when he is rolling you can actually do a roll right into a cover, the only difference is that you won't be doing that ridiculous 6 foot slide into a piece of cover. I'm not sure how automatic you want it to be. You can vault, climb up, jump on a cover and basically run on the cover, there's so much more freedom in the Uncharted demo than Gears ever gave the player.

You can blind-fire, it's just not a cheese method of killing enemies, that's all, you really shouldn't be able to cover-aim like that. Blind-fire is NOT supposed to be accurate, that's why it's called BLIND-fire, if you are using a spray weapon, you'll hit the enemy but you might not kill the enemy. If you're using something powerful like the shotgun, you might take down an enemy with one shot depending on the distance.

Evlar

Banned
Try wading through deep water. If you don't splash around too much your clothes will get wet up to the point you're in the water and no higher. So for instance maybe only your jeans and the bottom third of your shirt is wet. It's a nice touch.

dork

Banned
The Sphinx said:
Try wading through deep water. If you don't splash around too much your clothes will get wet up to the point you're in the water and no higher. So for instance maybe only your jeans and the bottom third of your shirt is wet. It's a nice touch.
Yeah i noticed this, thought it was amazing.

Kittonwy

Banned
andrewfee said:
So where are people finding this extra-hard mode where enemies don't die in one hit from a headshot?

I'm playing through on hard again now, making a point of only going for headshots and it's killing everyone in one hit.

Yeah headshot is a one-hit kill on hard, crushing is not available in this demo but I doubt headshot wouldn't be a one-hit kill.

Kittonwy

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
This might be a first for me, but I actually wish there was more auto-aim. It may be that I'm expecting it to play like Gears, or maybe Rainbow, but the gunplay feels weird.

It requires more skill in aiming, you can't cheese-aim when you're in cover mode, on the other hand in Gears the enemies are damage sponges, here if you shoot them in the head with a handgun, they would die instantly.

-Rogue5-

The Sphinx said:

I also like how his shirt creases left and right as he walks... subtle detail, but really realistic.

zedge

I had DTS checked in the sound menu. Unchecked that and now I have sound. Wee!

Great demo, I enjoyed it. Ended kinda abruptly though lol.

The graphics are beautiful, shooting is fun. Good stuff.

Is this game going to have any multi?

Pachimari

Just reading the pages, does the demo end at the airplane? If so, that's were the beta ended. The second chapter is still the best out of the four I think.

Btw, what's all this about it being hard? I'm not better than anyone else, but I didn't get shot at 'hard' difficulty in the beta.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Ok finished the demo. Now I was 100% hype for this game so it could only go down for me. All I got to say is WOW, ND managed to meet my expectations and more like some humoristic moments when one of the baddies gets down on this belly and shoots me in the face.... lol great fcking moments with this game. Its awesome.

The Graphics... You never really appreciate the shadows until you actually play the game. Holy sh*t. Fking shadows are unbelievable. And the water... oh my the water... I cant stop thinking about how you get can partially wet. Its so realistic. The move of the leaves everything it's just pure quality.

The sound is also outstanding. I love the wise remarks Drake makes. It just makes you feel you're watching a movie.

This game is tough. Damn pirates always flank you and throw those darn granades to smoke you out. Had me swinging like a monkey from cover to cover and dying like I was playing an old school sidescroller. The controls were so much better than I expected. Those damn previews that mentioned "gunplay feels a bit off" had me worried. Also the clipping was barely noticable, damn you f*ckers for making me think it had bad clipping.

Kittonwy

Banned
Anastacio said:
Just reading the pages, does the demo end at the airplane? If so, that's were the beta ended. The second chapter is still the best out of the four I think.

No, you clear out the folks after the second gate, you do that platforming bit, and then as you go through the narrow path the demo ends and you end up back at the title screen, I just kind of wonder if it's better to end with a cutscene, but it's still the most awesome demo I've played.
Indifferent2.gif

Dante

How come SSX never participates in impression threads?

Oh and I gotta give props to the Sound guys again....Simply amazing

FUCK SONY!

they said REGION FREE!

and now that US is getting Uncharted BEFORE PAL land they will region lock the game aswell or?

why lock a demo if ANYONE can buy the full game from US territory anyway?
It feels like sony is aiming to Region lock this game so no importers can buy it!

Pachimari

besada said:
My experiment was a failure. I couldn't go without a gun through the final fight scene, it's just too intense. Also, dead bodies don't jump or bleed when you shoot them. Just in case you like shooting dead bodies.
They do move when you shoot them in the beta..

Dot50Cal

Banned
robertsan21 said:
FUCK SONY!

they said REGION FREE!

and now that US is getting Uncharted BEFORE PAL land they will region lock the game aswell or?

It feels like sony is aiming to Region lock this game so no importers can buy it!

Well if you paid attention to the thread, you'd see it was a bug. Quite obvious when you see "INSERT DISC" instead of "WRONG REGION".

Tieno

robertsan21 said:
FUCK SONY!

they said REGION FREE!

Read the OP.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
robertsan21 said:
FUCK SONY!

they said REGION FREE!

Well it was a bug. They are not locking it. It was a mistake of them not testing the Euro and Jap areas. They most likely just rushed it. No region lock for this game trust me. They have already mention they are trying to fix the bug and will get back to everyone tomorrow on the PSBlog.

Tieno said:
Read the OP.

I did and this is the official word from naugthy dog and SONY

Hi, since I’m new to the blog I wanted to first introduce myself. I am the line producer on Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune and I work with Naughty Dog on a day-to-day basis and have been working with the team since Crash Team Racing.

We are pleased to see that there is so much interest out there in the Uncharted demo, and wanted to provide a quick update.

As many of you in Europe and Japan may have already learned, today’s demo is currently only available on the North American PlayStation Store, and will only work on PS3 units in that territory. As you may already know, North America is the first region to launch Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune (Monday, November 19th), and we wanted to be sure that we gave our North American PS3 players the opportunity to try out the demo prior to launch. Other territories are currently putting the finishing touches on the localization aspects of the Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune demo, and will release it in their respective PlayStation Stores in due course.

Unfortunately when attempting to download the demo, our friends in PAL regions or Japan may have encountered a bug in which you are asked to insert a disc. Please ignore this prompt and accept our apologies.

Thanks again for your interest in the game, we hope that those of you who do get a chance to play it get a taste for what we hope will become an action-adventure classic on the PS3.

it doesnt say anything about fixing the bug

oh wait

Sam Thompson | November 8th, 2007 at 6:33 pm

Hi guys and gals,

We hear you loud and clear. Wanted to chime in here and let you know that we have shared your frustration with the Naughty Dog team and we are going to see what we can do. I will be back tomorrow with an update, but in the meantime I hope you can be patient and bear with us. As you have learned through communicating with Evan and Amy on the blog, Naughty Dog is a studio that listens to gamers, so I hope to have good news for you soon.

Thanks,
Sam

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Uncharted here we come!!!!!

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
My download is slow as fuck...but correct me if I'm wrong. Didn't Sony add background downloading while you play a PS3 game while back? Mine doesn't seem to want to freakin' work. =(

I am genuinely impressed with the shadows and lighting in this game. I also like the way the entire jungle sorta "moves." It kinda has a life of its own because so many things are moving and doing there thing. Unfortunately, the game suffers from what most PS3 games suffer from and that is mediocre textures from a lack of memory. Overall, not bad, but nothing amazing.

I will say this, aside from graphics, the game was actually more fun to play than I thought. I like how it gives you hints, but you don't have to actually listen to their help if you don't want. The shooting and aiming and ducking and covering is pretty rewarding like it was in Gears. Overall, should be fun, but I will probably pass on this one. Too many other games coming out that should be better than this one. Mario, Mass Effect, Contra 4, Omega Five, etc.

andrewfee said:

I'm wondering the same thing.

I can confirm that headshot damage is unchanged regardless of the difficulty setting available in this demo.

Whoever said they unloaded half a clip of the AK in headshots to kill one guy is simply lying. It just isn't possible.

Jtrizzy

I hope they can fix this for you guys. I can't believe after waiting all this time you can't play it. The game is great. Watching Drake walk in and out of the light and shadows is incredible.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
The Sphinx said:

yah and as you're going through it it gets harder and harder for nathan to walk. Talking about the clothes, I tested this out a bunch, you can go up tor your ankles and only that will get wet, you can go to your knees only that gets wet, half way up the shirt only that gets wet, etc etc. Very impressive stuff.

-Rogue5-

Jazz flute jungle music is a nice touch.

Also, the crumbling of cover is awesome too... too bad it's only the rockpiled walls that can get broken up though.

Top Bottom