• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Awntawn

Pristine_Condition said:
I'm wondering the same thing.

I can confirm that headshot damage is unchanged regardless of the difficulty setting available in this demo.

Whoever said they unloaded half a clip of the AK in headshots to kill one guy is simply lying. It just isn't possible.
They react even if you miss them, maybe people have trouble getting used to that. If there's no blood, it's not a hit ;O

Kittonwy

Banned
Pristine_Condition said:
I'm wondering the same thing.

I can confirm that headshot damage is unchanged regardless of the difficulty setting available in this demo.

Whoever said they unloaded half a clip of the AK in headshots to kill one guy is simply lying. It just isn't possible.

Yep on hard every headsot I've scored I did it with one hit.

dralla

context sensitive melee's. if you melee a guy near a wall Drake will push him against it and do some combo's. I hope there's some good spots in the final game besides a wall where they do this. a bridge maybe.

Rolf NB

Kintaro said:
My download is slow as fuck...but correct me if I'm wrong. Didn't Sony add background downloading while you play a PS3 game while back? Mine doesn't seem to want to freakin' work. =(
It stops downloading when you play online multiplayer, so if that's what you were doing, try something else.
Also, PS2 games stop downloads AFAIK.

J-Rzez

Awntawn said:
Has anyone managed to get the hop-on-back -> snap-neck combo yet? ;o

Yes, at the part where you can jump across onto the wall where the birds fly away from and you drop down level by level. If you wait long enough, the guys will turn their backs to you, still not knowing you're there, and you can run up behind one of them at least.

Awntawn

J-Rzez said:
Yes, at the part where you can jump across onto the wall where the birds fly away from and you drop down level by level. If you wait long enough, the guys will turn their backs to you, still not knowing you're there, and you can run up behind one of them at least.
What about like in that one video where he punches the dude who gets spun around, then jumps on his back. I'm wondering if there's maybe a combo for that ;O

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
bcn-ron said:
It stops downloading when you play online multiplayer, so if that's what you were doing, try something else.
Also, PS2 games stop downloads AFAIK.

Hmm, I wasn't playing online multiplayer, but MLB 07 does connect to something online regardless. =/ That explains it I guess.

pswii60

franke8568 said:
I am genuinely impressed with the shadows and lighting in this game. I also like the way the entire jungle sorta "moves." It kinda has a life of its own because so many things are moving and doing there thing. Unfortunately, the game suffers from what most PS3 games suffer from and that is mediocre textures from a lack of memory. Overall, not bad, but nothing amazing.

I will say this, aside from graphics, the game was actually more fun to play than I thought. I like how it gives you hints, but you don't have to actually listen to their help if you don't want. The shooting and aiming and ducking and covering is pretty rewarding like it was in Gears. Overall, should be fun, but I will probably pass on this one. Too many other games coming out that should be better than this one. Mario, Mass Effect, Contra 4, Omega Five, etc.

I'm still downloading, but passing on this for Omega 5? wtf? This looks friggin awesome!

EDIT: DAMN INSERT DISC!

Banned
Hmm, looks like the second gate you have to kick open can only be opened from one side - if you jump through the hole in the wall on the left and go through, you're stuck in there just as you hit an enemy trigger point, and your shots often hit invisible barriers on cover in that area too. If you go quite far away from the edge of cover and hit R1, you can shoot through the walls as well. Pre-order cancelled.

Chris R

OK wow this game was kicking my ass even on easy :lol

Ran out of ammo in the area with the three ledges and the endless waves of pirates

andrewfee said:
Hmm, looks like the second gate you have to kick open can only be opened from one side - if you jump through the hole in the wall on the left and go through, you're stuck in there just as you hit an enemy trigger point, and your shots often hit invisible barriers on cover in that area too. Pre-order cancelled.

:lol

KGKK

Banned
Loved the demo, gameplay was awesome. Graphic and animation were awesome. Difficulty was good, I actually died a few times during the demo:D Love them barrels too:lol

YYZ

Everytime I play a demo for a game I'm excited for, my excitement goes down. With Uncharted, my excitement did not go down, I'm impressed. I thought the graphics sucked but I forgot to change my monitor settings from PC use to games/movies, the difference is stunning.

kevm3

This game has mediocre textures due to the PS3's limited RAM?

*Looks at the listed games supposedly better than Uncharted.

Ahhh ok.

Kittonwy

Banned
franke8568 said:
I am genuinely impressed with the shadows and lighting in this game. I also like the way the entire jungle sorta "moves." It kinda has a life of its own because so many things are moving and doing there thing. Unfortunately, the game suffers from what most PS3 games suffer from and that is mediocre textures from a lack of memory. Overall, not bad, but nothing amazing.

I will say this, aside from graphics, the game was actually more fun to play than I thought. I like how it gives you hints, but you don't have to actually listen to their help if you don't want. The shooting and aiming and ducking and covering is pretty rewarding like it was in Gears. Overall, should be fun, but I will probably pass on this one. Too many other games coming out that should be better than this one. Mario, Mass Effect, Contra 4, Omega Five, etc.

If anything mediocre textures is something that Uncharted definitely does NOT suffer from, it has better textures than most next-gen console games and higher quality shadows.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
I dont have a PS3 so I cant get the demo, but its good to see just about everyone is really happy with the demo. Unchartered reached a ridiculous level of hype so I thought that when people actually play the game they'll end up being disappointed, but it sounds like its living upto people's expectations.

Evlar

Banned
SlaughterX said:
This better not be a sign of things to come, if they start region coding PS3 games I'm dropping this shit and not looking back...
You're in luck! It's not region coded!

Nemesis_

Well, I downloaded it, installed it.

Selected it....and my TV adjusts from 1080 to 720, and then I get a black screen. Does it have an abnormally long load time or what?

EDIT: Wait it looks like it doesn't work on non US machines. =(

tehbear

Environment is amazing looking. It looks very vibrant and lively. The detail on rock faces, the lighting and shadows are the best of its kind. Definitely more artistic than realistic though. If you aren't a jungle theme hater like me or expect realism from your HD jungle then it probably doesn't get much better.

Platforming has a puzzle vibe to it. It's almost not blatantly obvious where you need go, and the camera don't automatically point at the next step. The demo didn't have much besides jumping around on pillars, probably will have a lot of different stuff in the real game. Seems more deliberate and "realistic" to some of the other 3D platformers I am used to. Probably a taste thing but I found it appropriate, yet not as exhilarating. Then again, it was just the demo's simple jump some pillars to the next area aspect that I've experienced.

Combat is fairly solid. Being bad at console shooters means this is probably the least enjoyable part for me. I wish there was sticky targeting, but yeah I should just go practice analog stick.

The combination really reminded me of Ghost in the Shell on PS2. I don't like the treasure hunting theme as much, but it looks very very solid and polished.

Foil

I love the demo, but a few things I wish were changed or added would be the ability to crouch and creep slowly around in that position. Also to allow Drake to carry his pistol plus two other guns. Make 'Up' on the Dpad your pistol (since there's two reload buttons with up also as reload, which isn't needed) and allow left and right to be different weapons. So basically Up- Pistol, Down- Grenades, Left- Shotgun, Right- AK.

Other than that and a few minor things here and there this game is awesome. The music is great, but I prefered playing with it off just listening to the jungle and taking things slow.

Oh, another thing I wish they would add is the ability to toss back grenades. Or can you do that? Maybe I'm just missing how to do it?

Pachimari

Nemesis556 said:
Well, I downloaded it, installed it.

Selected it....and my TV adjusts from 1080 to 720, and then I get a black screen. Does it have an abnormally long load time or what?

EDIT: Wait it looks like it doesn't work on non US machines. =(
The answer is on all pages.. it doesn't work on PAL machines.

The deal is apparently a bug on ND's end, as they only tested it on NA machines. This may be due to many things. The word is they may fix it so us rest of worlders may be able to get our hands on it soon (hopefully).

Read this : http://blog.us.playstation.com/2007/11/08/uncharted-drakes-fortune-demo-update/#comments

and read down to post 40?

There will be an update on the issue tomorrow there also, so keep a look out.

I hope they put a warning on the DL though (if that's possible) so more people wont waste their time/GBs.

PistolGrip said:
The Graphics... You never really appreciate the shadows until you actually play the game. Holy sh*t. Fking shadows are unbelievable. And the water... oh my the water... I cant stop thinking about how you get can partially wet. Its so realistic. The move of the leaves everything it's just pure quality.
Actually you can get completely wet if you stand under the waterfall, although that might be what you meant.

Everything in the demo is gorgeous, I really love the jungle they've created exploring it is an eye orgasm every inch of the way. On the other hand i'm getting a real uncanny valley effect from the characters, specially from Elena.

The combat was solid and I actually ended up dying quite a few times on hard. The A.I. isnt the best ive seen, but it is more than good enough for a solid experience, different enemies seem to have different routines, ie guys with shotguns will try to rush you and run into close range, guys with submachine guns will just lay back and annoy you with suppressing fire, and if you stay in cover too longer the enemies will start lobbing grenades to flush you out.

jiggle

Loved it. Sensory overload XD All the little touches... like small puddles of water...so awesome...

As I suspected, had trouble with shooting part, even on easy :lol. Gonna need to pratice aiming before the game is out...

"As many of you in Europe and Japan may have already learned, today’s demo is currently only available on the North American PlayStation Store, and will only work on PS3 units in that territory. As you may already know, North America is the first region to launch Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune (Monday, November 19th), and we wanted to be sure that we gave our North American PS3 players the opportunity to try out the demo prior to launch. Other territories are currently putting the finishing touches on the localization aspects of the Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune demo, and will release it in their respective PlayStation Stores in due course."

Sounds pretty damned region locked to me...

Anyway fuck this shit, I'm going to go watch an episode of Heroes then I'm going to bed. Dusted off my PS3 for nothing... *madface*

quetz67

Banned
Mesijs said:
Great overall. I can't say too much about the story as I would spoil things. But it's well worked-out and surprising, with very good characters and great voice-acting and motion-capturing during the whole game.
any supernatural stuff?

Tieno

SlaughterX said:
"As many of you in Europe and Japan may have already learned, today’s demo is currently only available on the North American PlayStation Store, and will only work on PS3 units in that territory. As you may already know, North America is the first region to launch Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune (Monday, November 19th), and we wanted to be sure that we gave our North American PS3 players the opportunity to try out the demo prior to launch. Other territories are currently putting the finishing touches on the localization aspects of the Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune demo, and will release it in their respective PlayStation Stores in due course."

Sounds pretty damned region locked to me...

Anyway fuck this shit, I'm going to go watch an episode of Heroes then I'm going to bed. Dusted off my PS3 for nothing... *madface*
The annoying thing is that PSN almost only releases content on thursday.

Foil

PistolGrip said:
The Graphics... You never really appreciate the shadows until you actually play the game. Holy sh*t. Fking shadows are unbelievable. And the water... oh my the water... I cant stop thinking about how you get can partially wet. Its so realistic. The move of the leaves everything it's just pure quality.

There's so many little touches that make it really something. Just the way when he walks the creases in his shirt move realistically, the way his clothes get soaked then dry as times passes, etc. Little things in the animation of the jungle and the way Drake's animation shows flaws in his abilities. The sounds of the jungle are just as good.

Grayman

I have a new favourite demo! It made me happy that hard killed me so much. One of the checkpoints stuck me in fuckville but i got out of it.

I like the gunplay more than R6v, which is the only cover based game I really have. The highly limited ammo is great in gunfights.

Getting wet is just rediculous and the animations as are great.

So will the full version have difficulties now? I thought it was going to be adaptive?

Had me worried at the start...

Only problem I have is with the floaty camera. To be fair, we do not know exactly what build this is (or do we?) so all is well.

Worry not friends, this is it.

BELIEVE.

Grayman

LukeSmith said:
There's a sweep the leg move? Is there an accompanying "You got a problem with that?" If so, day 1 purchase of MULTIPLE copies confirmed.
The coolest thing I saw was hoping on someones back to do a sleeper or neck snap, but then their buddies shot me and his body with a shotgun and killed me.

Pachimari

About PS3fan.dk, it's one of the only 'only ps3' websites in Denmark. And I really think the review is for real, danish medias got the review copy this monday. Maybe I'll have a little time to translate it - I'm half danish you know.

Evlar

Banned
LukeSmith said:
There's a sweep the leg move? Is there an accompanying "You got a problem with that?" If so, day 1 purchase of MULTIPLE copies confirmed.
Don't know if he's talking about the same thing but I've had Drake leap in the air sideways and kick with both feet. Seems to happen more often when you charge and melee an enemy hiding behind cover.

AKS

antoniogaud said:
THE BAD
- Enemies can get shot in the head (several times) without dying

Enemies go to sleep when I shoot them in the head. I've been getting quite a few headshots. You might want to check your aim.

Top Bottom