• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Hesemonni

Banned
robertsan21 said:
FUCK SONY!

they said REGION FREE!

and now that US is getting Uncharted BEFORE PAL land they will region lock the game aswell or?

why lock a demo if ANYONE can buy the full game from US territory anyway?
It feels like sony is aiming to Region lock this game so no importers can buy it!
:lol

wotter

andrewfee said:
I can't even tell any more, are you joking? Franke8568 was right, the textures are extremely mediocre. I mean rocks just look like rocks, the ground looks like dirt, bricks just look like brick etc, it's pathetic. I can't believe the developers were so lazy, and didn't put in next-gen high-def textures like Gears has, just look at it:

DSCF7934.jpg

DSCF7939.jpg

DSCF7941.jpg

DSCF7944.jpg

DSCF7949.jpg

DSCF7955.jpg

DSCF7957.jpg

DSCF7961.jpg

DSCF7962.jpg

DSCF7964.jpg

DSCF7967.jpg

DSCF7969.jpg

I was willing to overlook that bug I found, but this is unacceptable. I'm going down to the store to cancel my pre-order and knock over a magazine rack.

Quoted again because it looks so good.
Plz Sony, I want to play the demo :(.

robertsan21 said:
no but seriously
if it is a bug as they said it is they WHY dont they just fix it and add it to PSN again?

something fishy is going on here
You know that people are not actually paid for making demos. They may have other things to do (omg are you sure ? :O

We just need to be patient :/ (like always)

le.phat

Pallaris said:
I'm stuck with an unplayable demo (eu ps3) but having seen some footage of the demo I have to agree. Pretty sad... I have to wonder how choppy the jeep/jet ski sections will be. Seems they haven't bothered to iron out these problems as they've been there from the start. Poor showing imo... if games like Ratchet can get it right there is no excuse.

less posting, more
shut%20up%201.jpg

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Pallaris said:
I'm stuck with an unplayable demo (eu ps3) but having seen some footage of the demo I have to agree. Pretty sad... I have to wonder how choppy the jeep/jet ski sections will be. Seems they haven't bothered to iron out these problems as they've been there from the start. Poor showing imo... if games like Ratchet can get it right there is no excuse.

sourgrapes.jpg

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
robertsan21 said:
no but seriously
if it is a bug as they said it is they WHY dont they just fix it and add it to PSN again?

Stuff takes time. It's been much less than 24 hours since this kicked up, most of them non-working hours. It'll be a minor miracle if they can push out a fix today, let alone 'now'.

antiloop

-Rogue5- said:
I think people who are poo-pooing this game are either incredibly jaded or absolutely retarded... probably just the latter.

Judging from the demo, this game has a lot of potential. The only way I can see it flopping is if it gets massively repetitive (which is a possibility with any game, really.) One things for sure, there isn't anything like this exclusive to the 360... Actually, there isn't anything like Ratchet (platformer) on 360 either.

This is a prime example of what Phil Harrison has been saying about the importance of having a wide-range of 1st party software. If the PS3 doesn't completely fail soon, it'll be interesting to see what kind of software comes out for the system through the rest of the lifecycle.

So true.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
gofreak said:
Stuff takes time. It's been much less than 24 hours since this kicked up, most of them non-working hours. It'll be a minor miracle if they can push out a fix today, let alone 'now'.

Don't forget the testing cycle these things go through.

Riddler

karasu said:
This game is incredible. I can't get over the way it really feels as if you're trudging through water, or that Drake starts to breathe heavier when the action heats up, or the look of concern on his face when he's in a shootout. I've never played anything like it. People mentioning Tomb Raider should have their livers torn out. I don't get the 'floaty animation' comments either. Was that term created pecifically for Uncharted? I look and I look and I just can't find anything that feels 'floaty'. @_@

I guess they mean when it looks like drake is floating off the surface and then he "reconnects" with the ground. After playing the demo acouple times it only happens sometimes after jumping/climbing/walk onto something. Drake will float and fall connecting with the ground.

Try jumping around the roots of the tree at the start of the demo and you'll clearly see it.

EktorPR

-Rogue5- said:
I think people who are poo-pooing this game are either incredibly jaded or absolutely retarded... probably just the latter.

Judging from the demo, this game has a lot of potential. The only way I can see it flopping is if it gets massively repetitive (which is a possibility with any game, really.) One things for sure, there isn't anything like this exclusive to the 360... Actually, there isn't anything like Ratchet (platformer) on 360 either.

This is a prime example of what Phil Harrison has been saying about the importance of having a wide-range of 1st party software. If the PS3 doesn't completely fail soon, it'll be interesting to see what kind of software comes out for the system through the rest of the lifecycle.

I concur. And that was the primary reason I chose the PS3 over the 360: I'm an action/adventure/RPG nut, and Microsoft's console is seriously lacking on that front. It's got tremendous shooters and a few great RPGs...but that's it.

Anyway, the demo exceeded all expectations I had for it. Beautiful, stylized visuals (even my stepfather took notice!), great gameplay flow, solid AI and majestic sound...this game will be mine after I finish with Galaxy, that's for sure. :D

deepbrown

I agree with most comments on here. With the lack of quality games available my son and I eagerly anticipated playing the demo yesterday - so disappointing seeing a 5 year old burst in to tears!"

awwww

Kosma

Banned
What the hell, I was so into COD4 MP that I forgot to download this demo.....but this thread made me remember OOPS!

I agree with most comments on here. With the lack of quality games available my son and I eagerly anticipated playing the demo yesterday - so disappointing seeing a 5 year old burst in to tears!"

Look what you've done Naughty Dog ! DEMO ON EU PSN STORE NOW !!!! (it's for the kid... not me)

DrXym

robertsan21 said:
no but seriously

something fishy is going on here

Look, everyone in EU land is disappointed but it clearly isn't some huge conspiracy. The US demo is clearly missing some files or functionality that make it work on a PAL machine. This might be a language localization issue or even just that the game is trying to load (and not finding) the SCEE logos and other shit that they'd have to show on PAL machines.

I think that's all there is to it.

I doubt they'll fix the issue since by rights we're not even meant to be using the US PSN. It would be nice if they produced an EU version soon but I fear the thing will be enormous if it includes multiple localized languages.

Lince

Banned

I guess it's safe to delete the demo now...

Hi guys and gals,

We hear you loud and clear. Wanted to chime in here and let you know that we have shared your frustration with the Naughty Dog team and we are going to see what we can do. I will be back tomorrow with an update, but in the meantime I hope you can be patient and bear with us. As you have learned through communicating with Evan and Amy on the blog, Naughty Dog is a studio that listens to gamers, so I hope to have good news for you soon.

Thanks,
Sam

or not?

deepbrown

The ARG seems to be moving along nicely. We've even brokwn a code and come up with an image that holds a cheat (or at least part of a cheat). l1, right, square, down, left, triangle, r1, up

Borys

Banned
Amazing graphics at those screens and gifs. Best looking console game I've seen ever. I am loving the shadows and physics on guns bad guys drop when they are dead :lol

SHIT, wrong thread :lol It was supposed to go in the Demo Impressions one.

KurowaSan

DrXym said:
I doubt they'll fix the issue since by rights we're not even meant to be using the US PSN. It would be nice if they produced an EU version soon but I fear the thing will be enormous if it includes multiple localized languages.

the us demo already includes multiple localized languages.

they only thing i expect them to do is either to say that next week we might get a demo on the EU store or that the bug found on the us demo is a problem that won't be found in the final game, be it the US version or (obviously) the EU or JP one.

I know it sucks that of all possible demos, it had to be the uncharted one, but they've always warned that games are supposed to work on every single machine, no matter its region, but something could always go wrong as games, and in this case, demos, are just tested for the region they're being released in.

deepbrown

There are loads of US residents with Japanese PS3's. SOny allows region-free gaming, thus there are different consoles everywhere. They will and should fix it.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Just played through.

Nice graphics. Thought the controls were responsive enough even with the elaborate animations in there. Cool opening cutscene.

Boring shooting. Apparently your pistol has stronger bullets than the AK-47. Screen tearing (mild, but still gave me eye strain). Camera felt a bit wonky at times, wanting to snap to the completely wrong position (camera facing the wall), though it would listen to me if I had it swing the other way.

There seem to be too many enemies, and they set up the encounters so that it looks like the enemies are spawning rather than reacting to your presence naturally. At one point I was wondering whether they made a Call of Duty game and I was supposed to go to a checkpoint so that they would stop appearing, but apparently not. I enjoyed the final platforming bit right before the demo ends, so that's promising enough.

Kinda underwhelming overall. I'll play it again on hard, but I'm not expecting much improvement and I'm sure to get a full blown headache from the screen tearing this time.

EviLore said:
Just played through.

Nice graphics. Thought the controls were responsive enough even with the elaborate animations in there. Cool opening cutscene.

Boring shooting. Apparently your pistol has stronger bullets than the AK-47. Screen tearing (mild, but still gave me eye strain). Camera felt a bit wonky at times, wanting to snap to the completely wrong position (camera facing the wall), though it would listen to me if I had it swing the other way.

There seem to be too many enemies, and they set up the encounters so that it looks like the enemies are spawning rather than reacting to your presence naturally. At one point I was wondering whether they made a Call of Duty game and I was supposed to go to a checkpoint so that they would stop appearing, but apparently not. I enjoyed the final platforming bit right before the demo ends, so that's promising enough.

Kinda underwhelming overall. I'll play it again on hard, but I'm not expecting much improvement and I'm sure to get a full blown headache from the screen tearing this time.

Brave man

so when i said i wasn't going to play the demo, i didn't lie. i haven't.

i just wanted to stop by here to tell everyone that i dreampt i was playing the game last night and it had pole vaulting in it.

no. not the PENIS kind.

sitting back and not playing a demo when everyone else is, isn't easy. i just wanted you all to know how much it's messing me up.

FF_VIII

Banned
Just as I'm gonna download the demo I find out it's region locked?

Lame.

Has a reason been given 'cause this is stupid.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Marko_Baomoro said:
i dont understand a thing, the demo doesnt work on eu PS3, and full game will havent territorial lock?
loooooooool

language issues. Just learn fucking english is what i would say. i hate language issues.

Laurent

Wow, this was really amazing! The best action game I have ever played on PS3 and it's a demo?! I can't wait for this to come out, I don't know how I am going to afford all those great games next week...

The game is so exceedingly well localized that I'm sure Sony wants people to see the proper European version of the demo which is understandable. Even though the wait sucks.

west

deepbrown said:
There are loads of US residents with Japanese PS3's. SOny allows region-free gaming, thus there are different consoles everywhere. They will and should fix it.

I have a Japanese one in Europe. I can tell you the day Sony starts to enforce regions on their retail games is the day I sell mine. :)

Having games differ based on game hardware is such a stupid move. I have to look at Ratchets Japanese style brows just because i own a Japanese systems. Stuff like this should be selectable in options. I really hope the final game works well, the demo showed no cut scenes. If something is on the disk I have the right to play it dammit :D .

If anything it gives more replay value to see how the different regions differ.

Half assed "region free" is almost worse than none at all, atleast then it is consistant.

FF_VIII

Banned
RiotPelaaja said:
The game is so exceedingly well localized that I'm sure Sony wants people to see the proper European version of the demo which is understandable. Even though the wait sucks.

Why this game though?

They where fine with people downloading the R&C demo, no suddenly you can't download off the US Store?

Ceb

deepbrown said:

Doesn't matter anymore for you though, right? :lol

kay

Why must we come up with crazy theories when it simply could be the developers didn't bother adding non-NTSC-U support? The demo was only going to be released on two stores and the other regions are likely to get a different version of the demo as they get the game later and they have to add different dubs. It's not like they are all aware that people download stuff from other stores either. How old was the build anyway? it seems similar to the demo shown a while ago.

Obaid

Banned
that shitty baskteball game demo worked on my EU ps3 :D Isnt it great and btw. what the fuck is wrong with that game? It sux major btw.

Riddler

Originally Posted by Pristine_Condition:
I'm wondering the same thing.

I can confirm that headshot damage is unchanged regardless of the difficulty setting available in this demo.

Whoever said they unloaded half a clip of the AK in headshots to kill one guy is simply lying. It just isn't possible.

Speaking of headshot I was just playing on hard and I hit someone right in the heart and they died in one shot!!! I really cant believe thats in the game or maybe the npc already took damage? I need to try it again.

Top Bottom