• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Pallaris

le.phat said:
less posting, more
shut%20up%201.jpg

Wow, how clever!

I dunno, this is a second gen PS3 game coming from a major developer who are heavily involved with writing some of the tools for the platform (Edge etc) so forgive me if I expected a bit more polish. The fact that there are frequent screen-tearing issues is extremely dissapointing to me, and that's going by video footage from the demo which apparently is representative of the final build. I would have taken fewer texture layers and less elaborate water effects if it meant having a tear-free game, and I think most people would agree. We should not be seeing these issues a yr on. I still plan on getting the game, but yeah... another first party game with performance issues (with Lair and HS being about as shite as you can get).

Seriously, If it weren't for Insomniac the PS3 would be depressing.

kay

Pallaris said:
Wow, how clever!

I dunno, this is a second gen PS3 game coming from a major developer who are heavily involved with writing some of the tools for the platform (Edge etc) so forgive me if I expected a bit more polish. The fact that there are frequent screen-tearing issues is extremely dissapointing to me, and that's going by video footage from the demo which apparently is representative of the final build. I would have taken fewer texture layers and less elaborate water effects if it meant having a tear-free game, and I think most people would agree. We should not be seeing these issues a yr on. I still plan on getting the game, but yeah... another first party game with performance issues (with Lair and HS being about as shite as you can get).

The only tears I am seeing is yours.

methane47

Pallaris said:
Wow, how clever!

You would be wrong on that one sir

Oneself

Since this demo is sex, I guess the full game will be an orgy.. Like, with just one male (aka you) and a hundred Jessica Alba - quality bi-sexual nymphs.

Pallaris said:
Wow, how clever!

you must not own a 360

demo was great. the graphics were very nice, voice seem very good, and combat was intense. the melee combos were a little hard to get all the time. also how do you do the drop kick?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i can't believe my friend left his ps3 here last because he doesn't have a tv at his house right now, and suddenly there's a demo of uncharted on psn. the world loves me today

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I'm seriously going to be forced into PC gaming only at this rate. So many console games with screen tearing. Just give me the OPTION for vsync and I'll be happy. Full blown headache after playing through the demo on normal and hard.

Brashnir

Jesus, this thread is practically unreadable. The amount of defensiveness and spite toward any even slightly negative comment is ridiculous.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Esperado said:
Imagine if it were 30 fps and on the Call of Duty 4 engine.
The levels would be small, there would be loading screens, the textures would suck, the lighting would be old school, and the shadows would appear blocky. Oh, and the geometry count would be in the toilet.

Call of Duty 4 looks like shit next to Uncharted.

methane47

EviLore said:
I'm seriously going to be forced into PC gaming only at this rate. So many console games with screen tearing. Just give me the OPTION for vsync and I'll be happy. Full blown headache after playing through the demo on normal and hard.

Well i'm just happy that I'm imune to screen tearing.. I know what it is.. and if I look hard when I know it will appear I MIGHT see it....

But for the most part.. I'm blind to screen tearing.... absolutely blind

Steroyd

Okay booted up Uncharted.

The please insert disc error message is in all white while the background is black which allows me to fully see the whole message clearly, sitting their thinking what it's like to play the game is so so awesome.

I feel the message is drop kicking me in the nutz because I don't have an Uncharted disc to put in, almost like Sony is mocking me in the face for not being American or not being a cheap person and imported a US PS3 or something.

I'll close by saying why? WHY Uncharted of all demo's, College Hoops? No that works fine, Need for Speed? Nope, what about the Fifa demo nope it had to be Uncharted of all the games I could have got screwed over on it HAD to be Uncharted.

sh4mike

EviLore said:
Just played through.

Nice graphics. Thought the controls were responsive enough even with the elaborate animations in there. Cool opening cutscene.

Boring shooting. Apparently your pistol has stronger bullets than the AK-47. Screen tearing (mild, but still gave me eye strain). Camera felt a bit wonky at times, wanting to snap to the completely wrong position (camera facing the wall), though it would listen to me if I had it swing the other way.

There seem to be too many enemies, and they set up the encounters so that it looks like the enemies are spawning rather than reacting to your presence naturally. At one point I was wondering whether they made a Call of Duty game and I was supposed to go to a checkpoint so that they would stop appearing, but apparently not. I enjoyed the final platforming bit right before the demo ends, so that's promising enough.

Kinda underwhelming overall. I'll play it again on hard, but I'm not expecting much improvement and I'm sure to get a full blown headache from the screen tearing this time.
Sounds a lot like my review. Waiting for the comments on how you are a "shill non-gamer pussy who should fuck off."

AltogetherAndrews said:
This might be a first for me, but I actually wish there was more auto-aim. It may be that I'm expecting it to play like Gears, or maybe Rainbow, but the gunplay feels weird.
You're OK because I know you support PS3. These other people complaining are assholes though.

No_Style

EviLore said:

Poor EviLore :(

It wasn't bad on my TV.

Brashnir said:
Jesus, this thread is practically unreadable. The amount of defensiveness and spite toward any even slightly negative comment is ridiculous.
Agreed. There's no solid consensus and half of this isn't even about playing the demo. Time to wait for the reviews brigade...

EviLore said:

I didn't notice any at all. I was using HDMI on my little 23" Samsung LCD. I usually notice them immediately, and complain thusly. Maybe I was having too much fun to notice? I'll try it again and see if I'm biased or lucky.

Mr. Spinnington said:
Agreed. There's no solid consensus and half of this isn't even about playing the demo. Time to wait for the reviews brigade...

eh most seems positive with a few not being overly impressed...pretty much like alot of games

methane47

sh4mike said:
Sounds a lot like my review. Waiting for the comments on how you are a "shill non-gamer pussy who should fuck off."

Shill!

Overall disappointed -- 8.5 out of 10 non-purchase.

My wife watched me play the demo, and I giggled like a kid describing all the new graphical touches that put Uncharted a step beyond anything that has come before it. I couldn't ask for better graphics. The context-specific animation selection is amazing. For the first 5 minutes, I had the time of my life running into water, watching the steam flow, and observing the shadow detail. Platforming was solid throughout -- jumping across ledges was easy and intuitive.

The gunplay was disappointing. My biggest complaint is L1 aim position reset after cover (e.g. if you have the baddie in scope, let go of L1 to cover, then hit L1 again, your scope will be in a different spot). Never realized how nice this was in Gears.

As mentioned by others, it's difficult to pop off 3 rounds and drop a baddie because they have prolonged post-hit animation, often causing miss. So I end up having to wait a second between shots to make sure they land clean. Not satisfying.

The weaponry was disappointing. Sound effects were realistic but weak. It's hard to go back to pop guns once you've spent time with a Lancer in Gears. Ammo capacity was also more limited than I would like. Realism versus playability, I suppose.

The general combat feel was good. I cannot come up with any complaints, but I also cannot come up with any strong compliments. Cover mechanic worked well, fast moving and plentiful AI targets require quick thinking on proper positioning and rush tactics for better cover location.

I played on Easy, and the main initial combat location (around 10 opponents) was a bit frustrating. I died 5 times from a number of factors: running out of ammo, guys on the high ledge were difficult to spot but would pop me wherever I ran, frustration with the above mentioned aim-reset post-cover, and going a bit balls-out on occassion.

I settled down and got past it, but I had to play in a more reserved style than I would have liked. I'm not demanding run-and-gun, but stronger mechanics would have made the fight more dynamic. Too bad I cannot pinpoint the exact mechanical weaknesses -- not a developer. The fighing felt light -- I miss the bashing, crashing, and general feel of Gears more.

Just played through.

Nice graphics. Thought the controls were responsive enough even with the elaborate animations in there. Cool opening cutscene.

Boring shooting. Apparently your pistol has stronger bullets than the AK-47. Screen tearing (mild, but still gave me eye strain). Camera felt a bit wonky at times, wanting to snap to the completely wrong position (camera facing the wall), though it would listen to me if I had it swing the other way.

There seem to be too many enemies, and they set up the encounters so that it looks like the enemies are spawning rather than reacting to your presence naturally. At one point I was wondering whether they made a Call of Duty game and I was supposed to go to a checkpoint so that they would stop appearing, but apparently not. I enjoyed the final platforming bit right before the demo ends, so that's promising enough.

Kinda underwhelming overall. I'll play it again on hard, but I'm not expecting much improvement and I'm sure to get a full blown headache from the screen tearing this time.

How in the world does Evilore's impression resemble yours? He talks about screen tearing.. and too many enemies..

while you talk about the game being too hard on easy, multiple issues you have with the game which you can't describe, Guns not sounding like Gears, Game not playing like gears, You liking Gears more than this, not having good gameplay mechanics like gears, and running out of ammo

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Any word on the age of this demo?

The Ratchet and Clank demo was taken from an E3 build and suffered from both tearing and framerate issues. The final game, however, ran at a near constant 60 fps and used vertical sync.

Could that occur here (solid 30 + V-sync)?

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Phaethon0017 said:
I didn't notice any at all. I was using HDMI on my little 23" Samsung LCD. I usually notice them immediately, and complain thusly. Maybe I was having too much fun to notice? I'll try it again and see if I'm biased or lucky.
I think he was being sarcastic towards those that are complaining about such a stupid thing...

Anyway I didnt see any tearing as well. I dont know what the hell some of these folks are talking about.

The fact that so many people here are coming up with the dumbest sh*t to complain about is great sign in deed!!

sh4mike

methane47 said:
How in the world does Evilore's impression resemble yours?

Evilore = "Boring shooting. Other issues. Not buying for PS3."

Me = "Gun gameplay is disappointing. Everything else is perfect with awesome graphics, animation, and platforming. A lot of people will love this game, but it's not for me."

You failed to include the last part of my initial post where I praise the game. Not surprised.

Edit:
Our posts were similar in regard to having a mildly disappointing experience and having issues with the core gameplay. The difference is I am flamed, while mods and long-time PS3 supporters are left alone. The point of my prior post was to illustrate this discrepancy.

No_Style

methane47 said:
How in the world does Evilore's impression resemble yours? He talks about screen tearing.. and too many enemies..

while you talk about the game being too hard on easy, multiple issues you have with the game which you can't describe, Guns not sounding like Gears, Game not playing like gears, You liking Gears more than this, not having good gameplay mechanics like gears, and running out of ammo

I giggled at this.

There are a lot of posts in this thread and I wish not to wade through them all, but can someone tell me what this demo build is? Closer to final or ways off?

EviLore said:

I actually thought the combat was a lot of fun, but I disliked how ineffective the AK47 was. The pistol seemed to cause more damage, especially with head shots.

Pallaris

dark10x said:
Any word on the age of this demo?

The Ratchet and Clank demo was taken from an E3 build and suffered from both tearing and framerate issues. The final game, however, ran at a near constant 60 fps and used vertical sync.

Could that occur here (solid 30 + V-sync)?

The demo is from the final build. (confirmed in an interview, can't remember which one off hand)

nerbo

PistolGrip said:
I think he was being sarcastic towards those that are complaining about such a stupid thing...

Anyway I didnt see any tearing as well. I dont know what the hell some of these folks are talking about.

The fact that so many people here are coming up with the dumbest sh*t to complain about is great sign in deed!!

Erm, actually there is a lot of tearing. You don't know what the hell they are talking about because you're a drum beating fanboy who can't accept that every game has it's faults, big or small.

Pachimari

Brashnir said:
Honestly he's kind of right, I can't say anything "bad" without people trying to defend it. Just look at the camera were I had to time my jump etc.

Anyway, I'm gonna play it in one hour, and if I am allowed to share my experiences, I'll give you both positive and negative to be fair. I'm gonna be completly honest and say what needs to be said, because the games title or name doesn't mean jack, it's about the content.

But the beta impressed me a lot, so I'm really looking forward to playing the full game in one hour. I'm going back into the jungle with positive energy within - wish me luck fellow everydaymen! 8)

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Steroyd said:
Okay booted up Uncharted.

The please insert disc error message is in all white while the background is black which allows me to fully see the whole message clearly, sitting their thinking what it's like to play the game is so so awesome.

I feel the message is drop kicking me in the nutz because I don't have an Uncharted disc to put in, almost like Sony is mocking me in the face for not being American or not being a cheap person and imported a US PS3 or something.

There's an easy fix. Insert any PS3 (or PS2) disc - it may work with CDs/PSOne game as well, though I haven't tested that - and instead you'll get the full black screen experience, with no ugly white text to ruin its pristine darkness.

Yeah, I got pretty beat up last night for making some comments, but after replaying the game a few more times, I am picking it up. It is by no means perfect, but what game is?

(Actually that would make a pretty good thread...)

Pachimari

A little delay, so I'm gonna sit down with the review copy in one hour.

I'm going back into the jungle! Wish me luck my fellow everydaymen! 8)

No_Style

antoniogaud said:
I actually thought the combat was a lot of fun, but I disliked how ineffective the AK47 was. The pistol seemed to cause more damage, especially with head shots.

AK-47 was like shooting pellets, but the pistol was well done. I liked the seemingly random nature of the shooting and how even when you have a "perfect" shot, that Drake would miss his first shot, but then able to readjust and hit the enemy for the others. Ammo was never a problem for me, even on Hard so doing bursts of 4 or 5 shots to take out an enemy felt authentic to me.

I guess the primary reason why I enjoyed the demo so much was how it made me feel like I was in an Indiana Jones movie.

I didn`t see any tearing at all. Not to mention this is the same demo from E3. The AK47 needs to do more damage, but I remember them mentioning in inteviews how they changed that. After recieving feedback from when this demo was first shown.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Mr. Spinnington said:
I think you'll find that reviews will be about the same. This is PS3, it's not the gamer-endorsed platform for this generation so it doesn't get as much of the majority among the journos and the community at large working to overbear dissent regarding the 'darling' games.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
I really enjoyed what I played of the demo (did not finish the entire thing). I like the variety of gameplay aspects- sort of RE4, sort of Gears, sort of Tomb Raider. I was pleased that Drake's jumping ability is somewhat rooted in reality and not superhuman. I can't wait for the final version.

The graphics were mindblowing to me, EXCEPT for the boundaries of the levels. Seriously, it is like they did not even try with the flat bitmap and "deep jungle" texture. It mars what is an otherwise beautiful game.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
iapetus said:
Hey, if you're going to make unsubstantiated bullshit statements, that's the response you deserve. Sorry.

I guess working at ground zero for 10 years would have that affect on one, wouldn't it? You could, you know, try checking my post history, but whatever man.

kay said:
Why must we come up with crazy theories when it simply could be the developers didn't bother adding non-NTSC-U support?

first of all the PS3 should have the same content inside the box ALL OVER THE WORLD so we dont need to get error messages!

kay said:
The demo was only going to be released on two stores and the other regions are likely to get a different version of the demo as they get the game later and they have to add different dubs.

Sony please make rules for developers, WORLDWIDE released on ALL GAMES, they should be forced this shit on the devs!

no release in USA if they cant release it in the EU at the same fucking day!
I know that some countries dont understand english that well and need the games translated in to other languages but then sony should at least let STORES here in EU sell Imported US GAMES so we who do understand english can play the games without having to wait for the rest of europe

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Mr. Spinnington said:

I'd say the feedback has been overwhelmingly positive. There's been a couple of overtly 'negative' posts, a few more 'iffier' ones and then a lot of love.

I only wish I could make my own contribution :|

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
One thing I didn't like (among the many things I did like) was the fact I could shoot people much better behind cover WITHOUT my back against the wall than I could by pressing against the wall, swinging out, adjusting my reticle, and then getting shot up while I tried to shoot them. I found the cover mechanism to be more hazardous. :(

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
shantyman said:
The graphics were mindblowing to me, EXCEPT for the boundaries of the levels. Seriously, it is like they did not even try with the flat bitmap and "deep jungle" texture. It mars what is an otherwise beautiful game.
Definitely agree with that. A little too narrowly focused with the scope. Not asking for a complete open world, but just a little more complete illusion.

Although, speaking of open world, I do hope ND can get future iterations of their tech working in that capacity, like they did with Jak. Opening cutscene had me thinking of Just Cause a bit and wondering how well ND could pull something like that off.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
DenogginizerOS said:
One thing I didn't like (among the many things I did like) was the fact I could shoot people much better behind cover WITHOUT my back against the wall than I could by pressing against the wall, swinging out, adjusting my reticle, and then getting shot up while I tried to shoot them. I found the cover mechanism to be more hazardous. :(
Adjust the camera before coming out of cover, centering it on what you want to attack. That will get the reticle much closer to your intended target and reduce the hazard. Made a big difference for me.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Yeah, I was about to say, center the camera on what you want to shoot while you're in cover.

PistolGrip said:

I'm completely serious.

antoniogaud said:

I had a better time with the shooting on hard since there was a bit more urgency to it, but the pistol vs AK thing still bothers me. The pistol is apparently a Beretta 92G-SD, which has 9mm and .40 S&W variants. AK-47 uses 7.62x39 rounds. 450-600 joules for the pistol, 2010 joules for the AK. Completely backwards in the game. Give me a mac-10 or something if you want me to do full clip sprays to take down enemies. Well, whatever, not the end of the world. Shotgun's cool, too.

venne

I didn't dig the demo.

Combat felt canned and predictable. Shooting was average I suppose, though I agree with the comments concerning the AK and the pistol's relative power. I didn't try the shotgun because it seemed all the encounters happened from distance negating my what a stereotypical shotgun is useful for in most videogames. Maybe it would have been revelatory, but I am not firing up that demo again to find out.

Side rant, is it too much to ask that there be an option for L2 and R2 to be aim and shoot in PS3 games?

Coming off of Ratchet & Clank, I find this game to be noticeably inferior. Unless there is some greatness beyond what was shown in this brief demo, Uncharted is a definite pass.

epmode

DenogginizerOS said:
I could shoot people much better behind cover WITHOUT my back against the wall than I could by pressing against the wall, swinging out, adjusting my reticle, and then getting shot up while I tried to shoot them. I found the cover mechanism to be more hazardous. :(
Very true.

As for me, I think it's a pretty good demo but I don't feel any need to buy the game, what with all the other incredible stuff coming out in the next few weeks.

edit: I suppose I could line up the shot before popping out, but it's a little silly that your aim is apparently reset each time you go back into cover. What's the point of a cover system if not to simplify this process?

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
They most likely ran out of texture mem, and since you're not looking at the boundry most of the time considered it a fair compromise. The same could be said of any other graphical glitches or imperfections you freaking perfectionists strive for. :lol

Please by all means guys critical of graphics make a better game.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
AK-47 inaffective?

Was i playing the same Game?

Aim near the head or head the enemies DIE FASTER.....thats it, it was nothing as complicated as im reading some post here.

I pulled the trigger once with the AK...3-4 bullets fly out, and i Kill the guy, cuz i aim at the chest/shoulder/head area.

The "prolonged animation" complaint to me is pure bullshit to me. You shoot a guy somewhere on his body, he reacts, but The moment I pumped another slug into him He reacts also...EVERY BULLET DAMAGES the ENEMY. I NEVER had this "i unloaded a whole clip into the guy and he did'nt die" problem.

The Shooting mechanic MORE Resident Evil 4 than Gears of War. The enemies will react to ANY bullet you hit em with, and where you shoot'em is VERY important.

Top Bottom