• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Porkepik

Well, really positive impressions here, this game is a must buy now. Even my wife that does not like gaming at all watched me play yesterday and said the game was pretty (firts time she has ever said that, most of the time it is , the character are too bulky , not realist,...) She watched the intro cutscene in whole (another premiere for her ) and tried to give me advice to kill the bad guys or explore the scenery (look, check under the waterfall to see if there is a cave,.....). It really impressed me that a game could somehow move her out of her habitual shut it down and spend some time with me.

I don't see her playing it but I think she won't mind me playing it as much as most of the other games.

zoku88

I didn't notice any tearing either. It might be the monitors (or TVs) people are using. It could be the their displays have a low refresh rate or response time, both of which increase tearing. I played the demo at 1080p on the BenQ FP241VW.

What monitors are you people using? Mine has 6 ms gray to gray response time and at 60Hz refresh rate.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Dr. Zoidberg said:
- Facial animations in cutscenes are pure Naughty Dog. In other words, the characters' faces animate with what I call "Rubber Face". Now it's not nearly as evident here as it is in the J&D games, but the facial animations are still not quite realistic looking and it doesn't match the great character models. Realistic facial animation's been done better.
It's been done better on a more realistic looking characters, I guess those in HS, and that's about it. ND has the expressive cartoony look to their characters and their animation. It's like how they have faces on people in pixar movies. I guess just like many other things, it's a matter of liking that or not, but I did like it a lot.

Ranger X said:
As for movement, focus on your hand and watch it move faster and faster. At some point it will just be blur. That's what i'm talking about.
Yeah, but my hand doesn't move at 30FPS! That's the huge difference. Your example is the same as my real life car window example, but real life doesn't have low framerate :p

Ranger X said:
Lastly, i also think it's stupid movies are still 24fps + blur. It would look better and more real if it was at 60fps per example. We would also see better in fast action scenes and during high contrast changes.
Yeah, but much like movies, the games can't always afford to be 60FPS, and that's why the motion blur is used. Your brain *can* tell that it's shown a consecutive sequence of 30FPS images, especially if it's something that moves quickly.

jarosh

bud said:
there's some sort of bug which means non-us machines can't play it. apparently they're working on it, or something.
:(

i really hope they're fixing it or someone finds a workaround. i don't wanna wait for a pal demo (which might not be out until... well, forever... looking at the awful, AWFUL euro store content)

Brashnir

zoku88 said:
I didn't notice any tearing either. It might be the monitors (or TVs) people are using. It could be the their displays have a low refresh rate or response time, both of which increase tearing. I played the demo at 1080p on the BenQ FP241VW.

What monitors are you people using? Mine has 6 ms gray to gray response time and at 60Hz refresh rate.

I was playing on a Sharp Aquos 1080p LCD TV. I do, however, have that very same Monitor (well, almost. FP241W) and I'll bring the PS3 in here and check it out again and see what I get.

edit - played it on the monitor. It's exactly the same.

Played the demo again today, and I did notice tearing twice. It's nothing close to the one apparent in some other games. The game easily tops anything else in terms of graphics and animations.

Firewire

Banned
Porkepik said:
Well, really positive impressions here, this game is a must buy now. Even my wife that does not like gaming at all watched me play yesterday and said the game was pretty (firts time she has ever said that, most of the time it is , the character are too bulky , not realist,...) She watched the intro cutscene in whole (another premiere for her ) and tried to give me advice to kill the bad guys or explore the scenery (look, check under the waterfall to see if there is a cave,.....). It really impressed me that a game could somehow move her out of her habitual shut it down and spend some time with me.

I don't see her playing it but I think she won't mind me playing it as much as most of the other games.

Umm put the controller in her hands and let her play. And buy Ratchet! Your wife is getting the gaming itch!

deepbrown

I don't think the other thread deserves these...so I'll put them here. Some clever people have broken the code and have come up with some images.

Maybe I should give you the decoder so you can work it out yourself?

You can get some "cheats" that I of course can't try out

methane47

- Facial animations in cutscenes are pure Naughty Dog. In other words, the characters' faces animate with what I call "Rubber Face". Now it's not nearly as evident here as it is in the J&D games, but the facial animations are still not quite realistic looking and it doesn't match the great character models. Realistic facial animation's been done better.

They intended for the game to be like that from the start... I believe all of the facial animations are hand done... They used mo-cap but not for the face i believe.

So in that light I don't think its fair to give the game a bad rep because the facial animations dont look realistic.

Ranger X

Marconelly said:
Yeah, but my hand doesn't move at 30FPS! That's the huge difference. Your example is the same as my real life car window example, but real life doesn't have low framerate :p

Yeah, but much like movies, the games can't always afford to be 60FPS, and that's why the motion blur is used. Your brain *can* tell that it's shown a consecutive sequence of 30FPS images, especially if it's something that moves quickly.

Our eyes aren't functioning like frames anyways... The only thing we can say is "the highest the framerate the better".
Even if for some people it does feel better, for me it feels wierd and unnatural when there's applicated blur. My eyes aren't fooled by much effects. It's also like when there's an exageration of HDR bloom. To me it looks worse. It's like i had my greasy fingers in my glasses before watching. In the meantime everybody in general is like "woaaaa".

:(

methane47 said:
So in that light I don't think its fair to give the game a bad rep because the facial animations dont look realistic.

That's why I said that it's "Pure Naughty Dog". I know it's intentional. I just don't like it. It's just preference. I hated it in the J&D games too, but on fairly realistic looking characters it seems worse.

Again, just personal preference, don't attack.

sprocket

Banned
Brashnir said:
tearing is an indication of an inconsistent framerate, so yes, it does.

no its not . tearing happens when you do not turn on the vsync. tearing can still happen with a rock solid frame rate if you do not turn on vsync.

Vsync times the frames so one is not drawn until the the previous one is finished according to TV standards 30 and 60 fps. But with the vsync off you can still have a solid frame rate thats not in sync with the tv and it would cause tearing.

So why turn vsync off? because with it on you can either be locked at 30 fps or 60 fps. but with it off you can have a solid frame rate of say 40 fps or 50 fps even odd numbers like 52 or 47 . but those will cause tearing because our tvs are not set to sync with anything but 30 and 60.

So like with this game would you rather have minor tearing at a higher than 30 fps frame rate? or lock it at down to 30 with no tearing?

Dr. Zoidberg said:
That's why I said that it's "Pure Naughty Dog". I know it's intentional. I just don't like it. It's just preference. I hated it in the J&D games too, but on fairly realistic looking characters it seems worse.

Again, just personal preference, don't attack.
It still compares favourably to anything that isn't Heavenly Sword.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
rofl i like reading about how people get sick from tearing.

Every time it's like "after 2 minutes of tearing i'm [ill] [vomiting] [I gotta headache] [i'm paralyzed from the waist down] [i've developed cancer]"

whereas I used to play planetside for hours on end with massive tearing and it didn't bother me one bit.

folk these days need to eat some dirt or somethin if something as minor as screen tearing makes you sick.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Basch said:
Thanks for the translated review. I'm looking forward to yours as well. Don't worry about us, though. Go enjoy the game! If it is even anything like what everyone is saying, it should be one heck of a ride. :D

I think the demo impressions thread got overrun by Sony-haters. I hope this is their last chance to sabotage the game: it is getting quite ridiculous. I dare not go to those threads anymore. Maybe some of the others who took a break from this thread will come back. SAVE YOURSELVES BEFORE IT IS TO LATE!
:lol
You can tell 90% of those people seem to have not played the demo. Its funny but its a good sign that this game is something worthwhile. It reached 30 pages in less than a day.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Sol.. said:
I think the combat is very satisfying, I like the lack of accurate pretargeting...it's weaksauce and always has been
That is very true! I can't believe anyone would complain about this, as it's the most natural thing to not be able to re-establish perfect line of aim after you take cover. Besides, you can pre-aim by moving center of the camera onto whatever you want to shoot at. It works great and it only takes a moment (if that) to re-center aim properly that way.

Ranger X said:
My eyes aren't fooled by much effects
Fair enough, but thing is - most people prefer to have that blur even if it's artificial. In cinema for example, lack of blur is used as special effect almost, to emphasize some special move or motion or some such, like it was used in some of the fight scenes in Gladiator for example. The normal scenes always have blur because that looks more acceptable and natural for most people.

Firewire

Banned
Sol.. said:
rofl i like reading about how people get sick from tearing.

Every time it's like "after 2 minutes of tearing i'm [ill] [vomiting] [I gotta headache] [i'm paralyzed from the waist down] [i've developed cancer]"

whereas I used to play planetside for hours on end with massive tearing and it didn't bother me one bit.

folk these days need to eat some dirt or somethin if something as minor as screen tearing makes you sick.

Screen tearing affects different people in different ways. Don't sling mud at people that have problems with it. Some people may have exaggerated it a bit in the demo, but it is there, even though in my eyes its minimal.

Ynos Yrros said:
It still compares favourably to anything that isn't Heavenly Sword.

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree, since I feel that many games do it better because they don't exaggerate facial reactions and expressions on realistic looking characters. This is a preference issue. I don't want to argue about it because it will just derail the thread.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Porkepik said:

My wife is literally in *love* with this game! She's very receptive of adventure games in general, but she definitely thinks this game has that special sauce to it, just like I do actually <3

swoon

Ranger X said:
Lastly, i also think it's stupid movies are still 24fps + blur. It would look better and more real if it was at 60fps per example. We would also see better in fast action scenes and during high contrast changes.

movies would look cheap and awful at 60 fps. they would look like they were filmed a one use camera bought at cvs.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Marconelly said:
My wife is literally in *love* with this game! She's very receptive of adventure games in general, but she definitely thinks this game has that special sauce to it, just like I do actually <3
the three of you were made for each other ;)

(Marconelly <3 Wife ) <3 Uncharted

AltogetherAndrews said:
This might be a first for me, but I actually wish there was more auto-aim. It may be that I'm expecting it to play like Gears, or maybe Rainbow, but the gunplay feels weird.

Hey! I agree with you for once!

Also, I miss Ratchet's 60 fps...

acabado

Banned
I loved the demo,my only complaint is it's length and it's really focused on shooting,but I think they choose this part of the game to show to everybody that the gameplay is really solid and fun. I enjoyed very much the combats,they are really tasty,and strategic,the enemies try to get different positions to hit you. It has a little bit of plataforming,like PoP, and it works extremely well.

The sound is amazing,I love the sound everytime I hit the R1,and the environment sound is amazing.

As I said I think they choose this portion of the game to show you how the gameplay works pretty fine and add this to some gameplay variety,amazing story,graphics and you'll have a really great experience. Day one buy!

Basch

deepbrown said:

I thought I read on IGN that they will be making the demo available in Europe on November 22nd. But, you could always import the North American version. Think of it as a fresh experience. :D

Ranger X

swoon said:
movies would look cheap and awful at 60 fps. they would look like they were filmed a one use camera bought at cvs.

Nope. It entirely depends on what you are used to. Since it would be different and not what you're used to, you would find it cheap. In fact, something filmed at a higher framerate would simply look more like what your real eye can see, therefore an evolution, like it or not.
If people would always watch movies at 60fps, they would find some new footage at 24fps + blur to look "cheap".

anyways, /off topic

Firewire

Banned
Personally I don't care about the types of cut scenes, if its the engine or cg or whatever. If it looks good I'm happy, and personally I don't need my console to prove anything to me with a cut scene, the visuals in the game are what matters & Uncharted delivers exceptional in game visuals.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
ARG uncovered what seems to be the cheat code that can be used in the demo, but some of the buttons are missing it seems.

7yrz6yw.jpg

See, After L1, one or two symbols are covered by the sextant.

The code is L1, ?, ?, right, square, down, left, triangle, R1, up

I think I saw one instance of screen tearing when I played. Also after I kicked open the second gate the game froze on me and I had to cold shutdown the PS3.

AzerPhire

How are some fo you guys getting this to run at 1080p? And are you even sure it is running that res? (Just because you have the option selected and your tv supports it doesn't mean its running 1080p)

Brashnir

AzerPhire said:
How are some fo you guys getting this to run at 1080p? And are you even sure it is running that res? (Just because you have the option selected and your tv supports it doesn't mean its running 1080p)

It doesn't run in 1080p. I mentioned that my TV was 1080p in response to another poster who asked, but you're right - the game runs in 720p only as far as I can tell.

besada

Banned
msdstc said:
yah? try playing the game on hard... you stand still to recharge they flank you, aaaaand ya done.

This isn't really true. I've played through the demo ten times now, including five play throughs on hard. In each and every fire fight, you can stay in the same position the entire time and force them to come to you where you can dispatch them one on one. In some of them you'll have to run in to trip an enemy spawn (and they always spawn from the same points), but you can dart back to your cover without a problem.

The enemy doesn't really flank so much as they move around trying to get you in their line of sight. If you're moving it's going to feel like flanking, but if you're in the same position, they will always eventually run straight at you at which point you can melee them to death, take their ammo and wait for the next guy.

At the fight at the log (first fight) they won't ever cross over to you, and the guy on the cliff will never come down for a better shot. I've left Nathan standing behind the same rock for ten minutes or more.

At the fight at the temple, they spawn in a very predictable order. Start with three guys. Once you kill them, a wave of four comes from the back of the jungle. After those four a group comes down off the cliff for you. Other than the guy who stays up there (easily handled with a barrel shot) the rest of them will walk right to you.

I love the game (as can be seen by my dozens of earlier posts) but the AI, while aggressive, really isn't very smart. You can utterly control them simply by standing still and making them come for you. I finished the last battle with more than six guys laying dead on the exact same spot, because they kept following me through the gateway to be picked off one by one.

Mifune

Mehmber
Well, it certainly LOOKS great. The lighting, shadowing, character models are truly second to none.

But the demo frankly wasn't fun at all. The jumping felt really floaty to me. And the shooting was pretty flat and unexciting. And there was too much of it. Wasn't a huge fan of Gears, and am not a huge fan of that game's combat transplanted into the jungle. I'm sorry to say.

This was probably my most anticipated game for the rest of the year. I love the setting, the characters, the humor. I mean, it's Indy freakin' Jones on next-gen hardware, what could go wrong? Well, turning it into a shooter, for one thing.

I'll give it another shot after work, but right now I'm very disappointed. Not even sure if I'll pay 60 bucks for it.

steve

Banned
Porkepik said:

Same exact thing happened with my wife. :D

Alski

I work for M$ marketing! Hi!
I liked the demo, now for my point-form impressions:
•I love the saturated environments. Feels lush and inviting (as I player I want to be there)
•I appreciated the exploration much more then the combat.
•The camera irritated me (a lot). They are constantly trying to force me to look at what they want, not what I want.
•I got stuck because of the absence of climbing standardization. In one area I could climb the environment but the same height and edge in the next area I couldn’t. I actually got stuck in one area because I didn’t realize the pillar was climbable while every other object of that height I couldn't climb.
•Overall I liked it

Mifune said:
But the demo frankly wasn't fun at all. The jumping felt really floaty to me. And the shooting was pretty flat and unexciting. And there was too much of it. Wasn't a huge fan of Gears, and am not a huge fan of that game's combat transplanted into the jungle. I'm sorry to say.

Yeah, didn't feel fun to play. I don't think it's necessarily something that is wrong with the game itself, but I'm getting the feeling that this one might not be for me after all. I think I'm starting to get old, as I'm having trouble getting into a lot of these all-in-one games.

But I don't think it feels like Gears, at all. There is a cover system and even the weapon select is the same, but it doesn't feel anything like Gears.

gstaff

zoku88 said:

I noticed it once jumping down into the area where everyone starts piling in.

Loved the demo...very Gears like the way you get into cover. I like the switch shoulder feature too.

Banned
EviLore said:
I'm seriously going to be forced into PC gaming only at this rate. So many console games with screen tearing. Just give me the OPTION for vsync and I'll be happy. Full blown headache after playing through the demo on normal and hard.
That's a shame it affects you so badly. I really don't like tearing, but as far as next-gen games go, it really wasn't bad at all for me.

The problem is that as it's a 30fps game, any time it's tearing would drop down to 15fps if V-Sync was on, and that certainly gives me a headache.

RobertM said:
Do you guys just stare at the screen looking for tearing and in the process get a headache? Wtf is wrong with people.
Tearing is just something that's really obvious to some people - I don't go looking for it, it just sticks out really badly to my eyes. As I said earlier though, I didn't think it was that bad in Uncharted, and at least the game was still responsive when it was happening unlike some other titles.

Dr. Zoidberg said:
- Hit detection seems a little off. I hit enemies in the head a couple times last night and they didn't drop.
You didn't hit them in the head. Headshot = dead.

sprocket said:
Vsync times the frames so one is not drawn until the the previous one is finished according to TV standards 30 and 60 fps. But with the vsync off you can still have a solid frame rate thats not in sync with the tv and it would cause tearing.
Right, but 30/60fps is the target for games. Doesn't matter if it's consistent or not, if it's not at, or above 30fps then it's not a great framerate and you'll have tearing.

Mifune

Mehmber
AltogetherAndrews said:
Yeah, didn't feel fun to play. I don't think it's necessarily something that is wrong with the game itself, but I'm getting the feeling that this one might not be for me after all. I think I'm starting to get old, as I'm having trouble getting into a lot of these all-in-one games.

But I don't think it feels like Gears, at all. There is a cover system and even the weapon select is the same, but it doesn't feel anything like Gears.

This felt more fluid and even chaotic, I feel. So yeah, I agree. I guess I was talking just more about the combat mechanics.

In Gears, though, at least I felt in control. In the Uncharted demo, I felt like enemies were popping out of every nook and cranny and getting a bead on me from different angles. Oh, and I haven't had this much difficulty aiming a weapon since PDZ. The reticule seems to fly all over the place here, and the end result is me being extremely frustrated.

Spawn99

Banned
+Gorgeous Graphics
+Sweet Sound FX & Voice Overs
+Nice Platforming
+Cover System is sweet
+Cool Hand to Hand Combat System

-Explosions are meh at best
-Enemy AI in Hard is still kinda retarded
-Lacking Rumble really Sucks
-Six Axis control is laughably tacked on

The positives definitly out weigh the negative.

Porkepik

Firewire said:
Umm put the controller in her hands and let her play. And buy Ratchet! Your wife is getting the gaming itch!
Already have ratchet, she does not like it, I suppose too cartoony, maybe it's the setting that she likes. On the other hand my 5 yo boy loves ratchet even if I have to help him sometimes. Mario pary 8 is still his favourite game.

Top Bottom