• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
deepbrown said:
Anyone want to know the fix? I dont know if it works...spose I'll go try it. meh

Posting the 'fix' might be a good idea. Prepare to be laughed at if it involves changing the language, character set or resolution or running it from a different account.

vpance

About the log balancing, it confused me at first too.

Just tilt the controller the opposite way Drake is leaning. That's it.

besada

Banned
Loudninja said:

This is in Hard mode, of course. I guess I should test if there's a difference. I was standing ten feet away from a pristine wide hump of rock, and that's what it took. Maybe I can get the count down.

Any excuse to keep playing the demo.

Loudninja

LMAO you know how guys come jumping down ,well oen guy was juping down I shoot at him, he just hit the ground when he landed.

This is in Hard mode, of course. I guess I should test if there's a difference. I was standing ten feet away from a pristine wide hump of rock, and that's what it took. Maybe I can get the count down.

Any excuse to keep playing the demo.

I doubt its a difference man :p

steve said:
Some people just really suck at motion control.

I watch people try it, their controller's flying all around, when all you really need is the most subtle of movements.

A good tip to remember is that only your wrists should be moving. Your arms should be locked in place.

If your arms are moving, you're only making it harder on yourself.

You do know that many of us just don't like motion control in general, regardless of our skill level. It works really well in one game (Wii Sports) and in just about everything else, it's take it or leave it.

22nd....... well if thats whats going to happen I am sure that they wanted this demo to only be played on US PS3s!

if that is the case
Sony = FAILS and once again lets the customers down!

If they add the demo in 1 day and it works for everyone

Sony= is awesome and everything is forgiven!

Dragon

Banned
besada said:
Okay, so the pistol is the exact same power as the AK-47, on a per shot basis, per my scientific testing.

Since people move around, I tested using the piled-up rock cover. Using twin pieces on the last fire fight set, all carefully undamaged as I killed everyone in that set with hand to hand (I finally did it!).

It takes approximately 30 bullets from both the AK and the pistol to destroy a cover pile completely. This is of course at the same reasonably close range (ten feet, say) and dumping every single shot into the cover (short bursts on the AK to deal with muzzle climb).

I didn't have enough ammo left for the shotgun or I would have tested it. Oh, and a grenade rolled within a few feet of one of those barriers? Destroys it completely. And looks damn cool in the process.

Didn't they say they've fixed the gun balancing? Or maybe I'm mistaken, thought I heard that though.

Firewire

Banned
About the log portion, I didn't think it was bad at all, I just use very slight adjustments with the sixaxis and it was fine. Also for those concerned about it, Naughty Dog stated in one article that you have the option to turn it off.

tribal24

Banned
dammitmattt said:
You do know that many of us just don't like motion control in general, regardless of our skill level. It works really well in one game (Wii Sports) and in just about everything else, it's take it or leave it.

it works well in two games wii sports and folklore>.>

Gattsu25

Banned
cgcg said:
lol at chespace's impressions.
They're not glowing impressions but they are good critical impressions from someone who has honestly played the demo. Don't fault him if you can only process that which you agree with. Lose the unnatural phobia of dissenting opinions and stop being so maddeningly close minded.

steve

Banned
dammitmattt said:
You act like that's fact.

It's simply your opinion.

I've found it to work well in Tools of Destruction, Folklore, Resistance and now Uncharted.

Conversely, I've DESPISED it in Heavenly Sword.

It's simply a matter of personal preference. For me personally, I usually give it a try and see how it's been implemented, and if I don't like it, I turn it off. But if I find I can use it decently, I stick with it because it adds something fresh to the standard formula.

Madman

Here are my more in depth impressions after a couple go arounds.

First off, the Gears comparisons and all others are getting pretty old. This isn't Gears of War or Pop or SotC. Can't people just approach stuff with an open mind and not focus on how some other game does something?

Log balancing requires you to make small motions. Don't overcompensate.

Also, I should mention have played strictly on hard.

I really like the feel of the game. The platforming feels natural and while it's not complicated, it breaks up the action nicely and gives you a little more to play with. The cover system works extremely well. I never felt like I was fighting it. The AI works great and while they do rush through doors, they also throw grenades and put plenty of fire on you. They are definitely a challenge and killed me quite a few times. The gunplay is fun and fast. It's challenging but it doesn't make me want to pull my hair out eitther. Graphics are a no brainer, it looks amazing.

Motion controls feel fine and work pretty well. They don't feel forced at all.

I'm really satisfied with the result and I think this will fight it out with GoW2 for my GOTY.

Gattsu25 said:
They're not glowing impressions but they are good critical impressions from someone who has honestly played the demo. Don't fault him if you can only process that which you agree with. Lose the unnatural phobia of dissenting opinions and stop being so maddeningly close minded.

True, but you can't really blame people for approaching "Che on PS3" impressions with half a laugh in their throats. These sound honest enough, but there was no way these impressions were going to be anything but lukewarm. And I'd expect people to say the same about me if I ever offered impressions on something like Mass Effect.

Omeyocan

Regarding the AI

The final AI in Uncharted is simple, yet also very powerful. We are heavily utilizing the Cell architecture to allow the enemies to be more aware of their surroundings. On top of this, the AI is highly configurable to allow the designers to create custom behaviors. Examples of this are combat distance used for close-combat/ranged enemies, likelihood of moving and reaction times, grenade throwing and shooting styles. The goal was to make the AI ’seem’ smart. If we could do so without making the code complex, that would be great. The approach we took to this was to use animations to add variations to our characters instead of trying to programmatically add complex behaviors.

Raist

Banned
Holy shit, this thread moved fast :lol

So, what's up. Any nice screens, and news on the insert-a-disc-on-PAL-PS3's-lulzk bug ?

Gattsu25

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
True, but you can't really blame people for approaching "Che on PS3" impressions with half a laugh in their throats. These sound honest enough, but there was no way these impressions were going to be anything but lukewarm. And I'd expect people to say the same about me if I ever offered impressions on something like Mass Effect.
True, as well. The way I see it, these impressions are as positive as could be from him...so I take that as if they were fairly glowing. His complaints are more informed that the vast majority of complaints in this thread and it is obvious that 1) he played the demo and 2) he is being as impartial as he can.

JB1981

Who cares what Che says?

Anyway, there is no way to sprint in the game, right? From what I recall of playing the demo last night, I felt like sprinting was context sensitive or something. If I was taking heavy fire, Drake would duck and start running but I had no way to actually make him run myself. Is that accurate?

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
AltogetherAndrews said:
This is tru, as my russian ex girlfriend used to say. Che on MSG Exclusive Games: "OMG THE greatest game in history", Che on Uncharted: "Its ok but nothing especial" okie dokie

Aeon712

The camera is sooo bad, that's prob the only bad thing I can say about it. Other then the part where it felt like the enemies were constantly spawning. I sorta felt like an idiot walking up to every rock and wall to see if I could climb it.

besada

Banned
JB1981 said:
Who cares what Che says?

Anyway, there is no way to sprint in the game, right? From what I recall of playing the demo last night, I felt like sprinting was context sensitive or something. If I was taking heavy fire, Drake would duck and start running but I had no way to actually make him run myself. Is that accurate?

That's my take on it. Sometimes he runs fast, sometimes not. There is no sprint button that I've found.

deepbrown

iapetus said:
Posting the 'fix' might be a good idea. Prepare to be laughed at if it involves changing the language, character set or resolution or running it from a different account.
POSSIBLE FIX FOR DIRTY FOREIGNERS
Ok well...I still havent managed to do it myself, simply because i can't be bothered to set up another account. And I'm not sure if said person is mistaken either. They say they have friends in New Zealand that have done it and the demo works perfectly...SO.

Apparently you are to create a new account, sign up to US - and set the US as the "home account" (what does this mean, the Master account? My Us account is a master account...is it meant to be the ONLY master account? How do i make my exisitng accouns sub-accounts if this is the case.) You then download the demo from that account and it should work.

Peh...who knows, I'm struggling to get hold of this guy to confirm and speak in better english.

Ps. Anyone made Drake stand on one leg? He will if you go near an edge. (apparently :( )

Madman

Raist said:
You've probably just ruined my whole week end, thank you very much mate :lol
Don't shoot the messenger! :D

Also, what's wrong with the camera? I really didn't feel any problems with it myself. The only camera I have really had problems with was Ninja Gaiden Sigma's. That was rough.

Y2Kev said:
I didn't have one problem with the sixaxis log. I just moved it really slightly. I never fell off in five playthroughs.

I never had any problems with it either, but that being said, I'd cut off motion controls in this game if I could. They're un-needed and tacked on.

deepbrown

Dr. Zoidberg said:
I never had any problems with it either, but that being said, I'd cut off motion controls in this game if I could. They're un-needed and tacked on.
Apparently you don't have to use them. So far I've liked motion controlling in all my games. I like new things though...

Raist

Banned
Madman said:

Also, what's wrong with the camera? I really didn't feel any problems with it myself. The only camera I have really had problems with was Ninja Gaiden Sigma's. That was rough.

No excuse, you brought the bad news, you pay :p

For the camera, I think it's not mobile enough. And it's way to dark, I can't see shit.

:'(

@Deep> yeah, that's me. Sup ?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Dr. Zoidberg said:
I'd cut off motion controls in all games if I could. They're un-needed and tacked on.

Fixed for me personally.

Going through the demo right now. Nathan should probably win "Character of the Year" just based on the intro alone. :lol

Dante

Did you guys notice how some of the pirates shoot their guns? There's one anim where the dude just runs out and starts spraying bullets like a maniac, while others are more skilled and calculated, my favorite though is still when they pull the baseball slide into cover.

Evlar

Banned
I don't typically have camera problems in games, and I didn't in this one either. I get momentarily frustrated when I try to move the camera and the developers have decided to make it fixed at that particular place; it happens in Uncharted and most every other game with a free camera.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Dante said:
Did you guys notice how some of the pirates shoot their guns? There's one anim where the dude just runs out and starts spraying bullets like a maniac, while others are more skilled and calculated, my favorite though is still when they pull the baseball slide into cover.
Mine is the Belly Crawl sneak attack. that move is pure magic and hilarious

Dante

Loudninja said:
This is the only game where I really love using the pistol

the machine gun has quite a bit of recoil, but is effective in short bursts, the shotgun kicks ass though. But yeah pistol is crucial for nailing the headshots.

JB1981

Loudninja said:
yea i like the pistol and i really like the shotgun (great sound fx). The AK is alright, wish it felt a little better tbh.

I think this game is really going to benefit from rumble and I hope I got my import right before it hits.

jet1911

Loudninja said:

Try COD4. ;)

I tried it again but on hard this time. I had way more fun. Shooting bad guys just before they throw a grenade is cool. :lol

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
dork said:
Does anyone know how long the full game is supposed to be? ANd any unlockables?
finishing the game without trying to get everything: 10 hours for gamers, 12-15hrs for casuals. 60hrs for Loud Ninja as he will most likely unlock everything ;)

Loudninja

I see I am not alone :D, oh and this one pirate said right between the eyes, than he got shot in the head :lol

10 hours for gamers, 12-15hrs for casuals. 60hrs for Loud Ninja as he will most likely unlock everything ;)

You know it ;)

Dante

JB1981 said:
yea i like the pistol and i really like the shotgun (great sound fx). The AK is alright, wish it felt a little better tbh.

I think this game is really going to benefit from rumble and I hope I got my import right before it hits.

Same here did you pre-order from Yes Asia?

Loudninja said:
I see I am not alone :D, oh and this one pirate said right between the eyes, than he got shot in the head :lol

love the banter "He's out of ammo! Flush him out!"

On a side note they refer to him as "bolle" I am ignorant to that term does anybody know it? :) Prob just boy i'm guessing.

Kittonwy

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
The log balancing thing is critically flawed anyway. We're used to a certain detached feeling between the input device and on-screen action, but once they start emulating realistic action, like tilting in order to keep balance, you fall into this weird "uncanny valley" of game control. If you had one controller in each hand, sure, it'd work. But emulating a balance walk where the character stretches out his arms, by way of a single device that you hold with two hands... that doesn't work.

I don't know. I was hopping on the log and just had no trouble running right through, it worked pretty well for me, and I didn't expect it to work that well because previously when I was watching videos, people were falling off all the time, and most of the time I didn't even slip at all.

Alski

I work for M$ marketing! Hi!
Aeon712 said:
The camera is sooo bad, that's prob the only bad thing I can say about it. Other then the part where it felt like the enemies were constantly spawning. I sorta felt like an idiot walking up to every rock and wall to see if I could climb it.

Thank You! I been saying that the camera is sloppy but we are the only two that see it.

dork

Banned
PistolGrip said:
finishing the game without trying to get everything: 10 hours for gamers, 12-15hrs for casuals. 60hrs for Loud Ninja as he will most likely unlock everything ;)

Awesome thanks man. Any word on what the unlockables could be?

Alski

I work for M$ marketing! Hi!
Madman said:

They keep on trying to take control of the camera away from the player to look at what they want you to look at... but I hate that, just let me look at whats important to me.

Top Bottom