• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Stealth

I'd have to say this is an upgrade of the Gears cover mechanic, for the reasons that you can switch shoulders for viewpoint and pull off and run or jump to a different piece of cover using different buttons. The fact that the entire demo was essentially all combat was a bit disconcerting, and I couldn't get the melee combos to work at all. It was a pleasant surprise to see that ammo will be realistically (to a degree) limited and that enemies are semi-intelligent, but there were a few very clear shortcomings with the henchmen. They all spouted the same few lines of pidgin dialog at me, they all looked very similar, and there were just too many of them at a time to seem realistic for the setting we're in. Unless the story explains the huge armed force, which I assume it shall. Other than those nagging bits and some screen tearing, though, I was very impressed with the graphics, animations, and storytelling. Platforming is very Prince/Tomb Raider, but never felt like the level was built around the puzzle (i.e. PoP's hallways of blades and spinning death columns). That is a very big plus.

So basically, it's still a day one, if for no other reason than the water effects. Hot damn.

Loudninja

UK Uncharted Demo on the Way
UK PS3 owners can put down their pitchforks as Naughty Dog's demo hits Euro PS3s on November 22.
by Olly Dean, IGN UK
UK, November 9, 2007 - Sony Europe has confirmed that a playable demo of Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, released on the US PSN Store yesterday, will hit UK PS3s on November 22.

European PS3 owners have been disappointed to discover that the US demo of the Naughty Dog's much-anticipated jungle adventure is region locked, meaning those with US PSN accounts on their UK PS3s are unable to play. While Sony's US network regularly gets content ahead of its European equivalents, the company's open attitude to region coding with the PS3 has meant players have previously been able to download content from the US store without issue.

Worry no more though, Sony has since confirmed to IGN that UK PS3 owners only have a couple of weeks left to wait before getting a taste of the game. The 1.2GB demo will be available on the November, still well ahead of the game's December 7 release date.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/834/834071p1.html

rothbart

andrewfee said:
Right, but 30/60fps is the target for games. Doesn't matter if it's consistent or not, if it's not at, or above 30fps then it's not a great framerate and you'll have tearing.

You're almost right, if it's not exactly 30 or 60fps, you'll get tearing. You can get tearing at above 30fps... 31fps for example, will "technically" lead to tearing, as will 59fps. Tearing occurs when the screen's update is not perfectly in sync with the display's update frequency.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Decent demo but it ends kinda abruptly -- not even a release date or anything. :)

The gunplay looks and sounds good but feels a little unsatisfying without rumble. The AI is pretty animated and definitely make it a challenge to take them down, but I would agree with Besada in that they're also really predictable. Still, doesn't make it a cakewalk so it works. There are guys who dance around between two cover points and then there are guys who charge at you. I think the real challenge here is managing your ammo since you max out at like 40 rounds for pistols and hardly anything for the AK/Moss-12. So it's pretty intense when you're in a shootout, missing a lot, and realizing you don't have much ammo and have to navigate closer for melee attacks.

Speaking of melee, I just wasn't feeling the timing or something. Too much animation lag and it actually gets awkward when enemies interrupt your combo. Haven't had any crazy jumping on people's backs and breaking their necks yet. I know it doesn't have to be the next coming of Ninja May Cry here, but right now I'd say the melee isn't that fun.

The worst part of the demo for me was the first play through where you had to hit the X button a bunch of times on every stone block to see where you could climb at first. The platforming in general just feels like an afterthought, at least in the demo. The log balance beam walk baffled my mind as no matter how much I tipped the Sixaxis in any direction, he would still do his own thing on the log and slip off. Overall, I was really surprised the game (or at least the demo) was so gunplay heavy. Might not be a bad thing as the shooting was pretty intense, but I was hoping for more of a balance. Also let down that the platforming wasn't basically Prince of Persia or SotC.

One thing they did get right was the difficulty balance in Normal mode (I'm looking at you, COD4). It was fun, and it wasn't easy by any stretch. I tried Hard and it was just a tad masochistic. I think I'll be playing through this on Normal, but probably won't get the game until I get a copy from someone at Sony and play SMG first.

Wow this official thread came early..
Ahhhh suck I made a really awesome header image for the official Uncharted.
Ill post it on Monday for you to use Steve the current one you have is a travesty for a game this huge.

chespace said:
Overall, I was really surprised the game (or at least the demo) was so gunplay heavy. Might not be a bad thing as the shooting was pretty intense, but I was hoping for more of a balance. Also let down that the platforming wasn't basically Prince of Persia or SotC.

I wonder though if that's not a deliberate choice for demo purposes. Unless you're Mario (or Ratchet, maybe), you might not get away with a demonstration that emphasizes platforming and exploration over something more tangible like combat.

steve

Banned
I would LOVE to know how Naughty Dog gets this game looking like this with no loading. Not even a cutscene to hide a load, you just press a button and BAM, you can play. First game I've seen this gen that has managed that.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
chespace said:
The log balance beam walk baffled my mind as no matter how much I tipped the Sixaxis in any direction, he would still do his own thing on the log and slip off.

Yep, same here.

steve

Banned
The trick with the logs are to move across them quickly. When I first tried, I went slowly, and had to continuously fight to counter balance myself.

I was just being too cautious.

Haul ass across the log and you mgiht have to counter-balance yourself once along the way.

deepbrown

Marconelly said:
ARG uncovered what seems to be the cheat code that can be used in the demo, but some of the buttons are missing it seems.

See, After L1, one or two symbols are covered by the sextant.

The code is L1, ?, ?, right, square, down, left, triangle, R1, up
Oh CHEERS Mercs! I was asking if they wanted to work it out for themselves. There's another cheat code as well if you type in "el draque" PEH!

The log balancing thing is critically flawed anyway. We're used to a certain detached feeling between the input device and on-screen action, but once they start emulating realistic action, like tilting in order to keep balance, you fall into this weird "uncanny valley" of game control. If you had one controller in each hand, sure, it'd work. But emulating a balance walk where the character stretches out his arms, by way of a single device that you hold with two hands... that doesn't work.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
BruceLeeRoy said:
Wow this official thread came early..
Ahhhh suck I made a really awesome header image for the official Uncharted.
Ill post it on Monday for you to use Steve the current one you have is a travesty for a game this huge.
I agree :) I was hoping for a funny Chibigans header. Hopefully you deliver ;)

deepbrown

AltogetherAndrews said:
The log balancing thing is critically flawed anyway. We're used to a certain detached feeling between the input device and on-screen action, but once they start emulating realistic action, like tilting in order to keep balance, you fall into this weird "uncanny valley" of game control. If you had one controller in each hand, sure, it'd work. But emulating a balance walk where the character stretches out his arms, by way of a single device that you hold with two hands... that doesn't work.
You've thought about that WAY too much, and I don't think it is flawed for the reason you give.

Yeah WTF at the log balance I thought my sixaxis was broken. I just did somersaults at the beginning of the log balance and it got me half way across :p

Alski

I work for M$ marketing! Hi!
Did no one else find the camera jarring? I found the camera to be ridiculously irritating. :|

deepbrown said:
You've thought about that WAY too much, and I don't think it is flawed for the reason you give.

To each their own, just relaying my thoughts on it. I do think that until Sony splits the damned thing in two, the whole motion control thing will just feel weird.

Banned
rothbart said:
You're almost right, if it's not exactly 30 or 60fps, you'll get tearing. You can get tearing at above 30fps... 31fps for example, will "technically" lead to tearing, as will 59fps. Tearing occurs when the screen's update is not perfectly in sync with the display's update frequency.
Sorry, what I meant is that if a game could be running at 31fps, the engine typically caps it at 30 so you've got some overhead, rather than actually running at 31 and having it tear.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I didn't have one problem with the sixaxis log. I just moved it really slightly. I never fell off in five playthroughs.

PistolGrip said:
I agree :) I was hoping for a funny Chibigans header. Hopefully you deliver ;)

You know I finished the whole thing and I have to say its really quite sweet looking Ill post the whole thing up here tonight and just let Steve have it the game deserves a sweet official page.

VonGak!

Banned
chespace said:
Decent demo but it ends kinda abruptly -- not even a release date or anything. :)

The gunplay looks and sounds good but feels a little unsatisfying without rumble. The AI is pretty animated and definitely make it a challenge to take them down, but I would agree with Besada in that they're also really predictable. Still, doesn't make it a cakewalk so it works. There are guys who dance around between two cover points and then there are guys who charge at you. I think the real challenge here is managing your ammo since you max out at like 40 rounds for pistols and hardly anything for the AK/Moss-12. So it's pretty intense when you're in a shootout, missing a lot, and realizing you don't have much ammo and have to navigate closer for melee attacks.

Speaking of melee, I just wasn't feeling the timing or something. Too much animation lag and it actually gets awkward when enemies interrupt your combo. Haven't had any crazy jumping on people's backs and breaking their necks yet. I know it doesn't have to be the next coming of Ninja May Cry here, but right now I'd say the melee isn't that fun.

The worst part of the demo for me was the first play through where you had to hit the X button a bunch of times on every stone block to see where you could climb at first. The platforming in general just feels like an afterthought, at least in the demo. The log balance beam walk baffled my mind as no matter how much I tipped the Sixaxis in any direction, he would still do his own thing on the log and slip off. Overall, I was really surprised the game (or at least the demo) was so gunplay heavy. Might not be a bad thing as the shooting was pretty intense, but I was hoping for more of a balance. Also let down that the platforming wasn't basically Prince of Persia or SotC.

One thing they did get right was the difficulty balance in Normal mode (I'm looking at you, COD4). It was fun, and it wasn't easy by any stretch. I tried Hard and it was just a tad masochistic. I think I'll be playing through this on Normal, but probably won't get the game until I get a copy from someone at Sony and play SMG first.

^ As predictable as your input? ^.^

steve

Banned
Y2Kev said:
I didn't have one problem with the sixaxis log. I just moved it really slightly. I never fell off in five playthroughs.
Some people just really suck at motion control.

I watch people try it, their controller's flying all around, when all you really need is the most subtle of movements.

A good tip to remember is that only your wrists should be moving. Your arms should be locked in place.

If your arms are moving, you're only making it harder on yourself.

jarosh

well spill the beans about the supposed fix for pal gamers! what are you waiting for?

or send pm if it's "shady" or whatever.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Did anyone else LOL when Nathan was like "awww shit", after getting scared by the statue? I know I did. :lol :lol

Loudninja said:
No, its not old

They mention dumping the timing aspect of the melee combat in the interview, how does that make what is seen in the demo fresh out of the oven? They also stated that they removed alot of the flailing animation when shot as people complained about them.

steve said:
Some people just really suck at motion control.

I watch people try it, their controller's flying all around, when all you really need is the most subtle of movements.

A good tip to remember is that only your wrists should be moving. Your arms should be locked in place.

If your arms are moving, you're only making it harder on yourself.

I didn't fall, I just thought it felt unnatural, in part because of the weirdness of performing a arms out balance task using a single, two handed device, and in part because all of a sudden motion is moved from the sticks to an internal motion sensor. And it didn't feel necessary. "Tacked on" seems like a fitting description.

Spoo

Was pretty excited to get my hands on the demo, and there's a lot I liked about it (graphics, platforming elements, VA, animation), but I wasn't too happy to find out that the combat was basically Gears of War all over again :\ Maybe it's just too early to tell for me.

besada

Banned
Okay, so the pistol is the exact same power as the AK-47, on a per shot basis, per my scientific testing.

Since people move around, I tested using the piled-up rock cover. Using twin pieces on the last fire fight set, all carefully undamaged as I killed everyone in that set with hand to hand (I finally did it!).

It takes approximately 30 bullets from both the AK and the pistol to destroy a cover pile completely. This is of course at the same reasonably close range (ten feet, say) and dumping every single shot into the cover (short bursts on the AK to deal with muzzle climb).

I didn't have enough ammo left for the shotgun or I would have tested it. Oh, and a grenade rolled within a few feet of one of those barriers? Destroys it completely. And looks damn cool in the process.

Loudninja said:
He has to test it first, he does not wnat to give people false hope.

I've already been teased with talk of a fix! it probably won't work. Waiting until the 22nd for the PAL demo is going to be tough. :(

Loudninja

besada said:
Okay, so the pistol is the exact same power as the AK-47, on a per shot basis, per my scientific testing.

Since people move around, I tested using the piled-up rock cover. Using twin pieces on the last fire fight set, all carefully undamaged as I killed everyone in that set with hand to hand (I finally did it!).

It takes approximately 30 bullets from both the AK and the pistol to destroy a cover pile completely. This is of course at the same reasonably close range (ten feet, say) and dumping every single shot into the cover (short bursts on the AK to deal with muzzle climb).

I didn't have enough ammo left for the shotgun or I would have tested it. Oh, and a grenade rolled within a few feet of one of those barriers? Destroys it completely. And looks damn cool in the process.

Wow

Top Bottom