• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

so finally played the demo before heading off to work this morning (it took overnight to finish the fucking download)

and....LOVE LOVE LOVE SEX SEX SECHS!!! :D :D :D

can't praise it enough and its fucking challenging to boot! the AI is great..

...only criticism is the fact you only have the ol' PS2 analog configuration of a walk/run pace and not full range of movement (though odd because Naughty Dog did implement it with Jak and Daxter).
...and yes because the animations bit the devs in the ass in regards to getting to sync well with navigating/interacting with the enviroment

other than that, everything else is golden and this game is gonna be something special

OH AND DTS SUPPORT IN ALL PS3 GAMES PLEASE!!!! :D

deepbrown

I've now heard mixed response about the camera...from "I love the camera...it's so cinematic and has a life of it's own in a good way...like a movie" and "OMG it's so confusing". I'm sure the POP guy did an increidble job, and I look forward to seeing it for myself.

*cries inside*

spwolf

chespace said:
Decent demo but it ends kinda abruptly -- not even a release date or anything. :)

The gunplay looks and sounds good but feels a little unsatisfying without rumble. The AI is pretty animated and definitely make it a challenge to take them down, but I would agree with Besada in that they're also really predictable. Still, doesn't make it a cakewalk so it works. There are guys who dance around between two cover points and then there are guys who charge at you. I think the real challenge here is managing your ammo since you max out at like 40 rounds for pistols and hardly anything for the AK/Moss-12. So it's pretty intense when you're in a shootout, missing a lot, and realizing you don't have much ammo and have to navigate closer for melee attacks.

Speaking of melee, I just wasn't feeling the timing or something. Too much animation lag and it actually gets awkward when enemies interrupt your combo. Haven't had any crazy jumping on people's backs and breaking their necks yet. I know it doesn't have to be the next coming of Ninja May Cry here, but right now I'd say the melee isn't that fun.

The worst part of the demo for me was the first play through where you had to hit the X button a bunch of times on every stone block to see where you could climb at first. The platforming in general just feels like an afterthought, at least in the demo. The log balance beam walk baffled my mind as no matter how much I tipped the Sixaxis in any direction, he would still do his own thing on the log and slip off. Overall, I was really surprised the game (or at least the demo) was so gunplay heavy. Might not be a bad thing as the shooting was pretty intense, but I was hoping for more of a balance. Also let down that the platforming wasn't basically Prince of Persia or SotC.

hahahaha.

Dante

JB1981 said:
ya, here's hoping

same boat, and I ordered specifically for this game :(

:lol Camera is fine, you can invert both axis which is what I did. Seriously is this people first 3d game? I didn't ever think of the camera once during play, I did have to bump up the aim sensitivity though.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Has this been covered yet? The demo locks up on me...like, a lot. Anyone else having this problem?

Loudninja

Guys post your funny moments in the demo

One time this pirate was jump down from ledge, I was shooting at him, when he lading, he never got back up :D

Madman

Alski said:
They keep on trying to take control of the camera away from the player to look at what they want you to look at... but I hate that, just let me look at whats important to me.
I thought it worked well. I never had to fight it. As long as the camera does not affect my ability to perform (see: Ninja Gaiden) I'm fine with it.

steve

Banned
Alski said:
Thank You! I been saying that the camera is sloppy but we are the only two that see it.
I think you're out to lunch.

A poor camera this is not.

It moves when you tell it to, there's a button to center it directly behind you when you want it to.

You can precision aim or fire blindly at the press of a button.

You can look up, you can look down, you can look both to your right and to your left.

What exactly did they do so wrong with the camera that you continue to bitch about it incessantly?

It works fine.

i had my system language set to spanish and I played this demo

gee they dropped the equivalent of the s-word and f-word in spanish a few times

in english its much milder

I love the battle mechanics and the gunplay, but they just throw a few TOO many enemies at you. Seems like one wave too many during each encounter. I hope that's just that area's focus, and there are other areas that are much more focused on exploration/platforming.

acabado

Banned
Dante said:
same boat, and I ordered specifically for this game :(

:lol Camera is fine, you can invert both axis which is what I did. Seriously is this people first 3d game? I didn't ever think of the camera once during play, I did have to bump up the aim sensitivity though.

Me too, when you control Drake you feel that the caracter is really in your hands and it's very intuitive.

Firewire

Banned
Kintaro said:
Has this been covered yet? The demo locks up on me...like, a lot. Anyone else having this problem?

I haven't experienced any lock ups at all, and I've played the demo about 10-12 times now.

Loudninja

Guys post your funny moments in the demo

One time this pirate was jump down from ledge, I was shooting at him, when he landing, he never got back up :D

I psoted this again, new page :D

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Camera, from what I've played was awesome. A really nice mix between user controlled input and automatic/cinematic perspective framing. It also offers you the L2 hint view that works like in Gears and focuses on an important thing, useful if you get stuck.

chespace said:
The worst part of the demo for me was the first play through where you had to hit the X button a bunch of times on every stone block to see where you could climb at first. The platforming in general just feels like an afterthought, at least in the demo.
You really thought that and had to investigate where to climb? I thought it was plain as day where you can climb and where you're not supposed to. I loved the climbing in the demo in general. They really cleaned up the animation there from that first build (that was this same location) and added much more incidental animation and weight to his climbing movements.

Man, I really loved just moving around in the demo, so nice and fun.

Alski

I work for M$ marketing! Hi!
steve said:
I think you're out to lunch.

A poor camera this is not.

It moves when you tell it to, there's a button to center it directly behind you when you want it to.

You can precision aim or fire blindly at the press of a button.

You can look up, you can look down, you can look both to your right and to your left.

What exactly did they do so wrong with the camera that you continue to bitch about it incessantly?

It works fine.

Out to lunch? Let me expand where I'm coming from on this one. I also hate the camera in Zelda and Metroid (before the Wii). I want direct control all the time. Don't assume that what you as a developer want me to look as is more important then what I as the player want to look at.

Cameras that you need to push a button to get it to look where you want are BS.

spwolf

Marconelly said:
You really thought that and had to investigate where to climb? I thought it was plain as day where you can climb and where you're not supposed to. I loved the climbing in the demo in general. They really cleaned up the animation there from that first build (that was this same location) and added much more incidental animation and weight to his climbing movements.

Man, I really loved just moving around in the demo, so nice and fun.

i hate platforming in general and I found it easy... heh. Heck, i rememeber reading someones impressions of how you can properly jump (which never happened to me, unlike in many platforming games that I threw away in anger).

Man, I keep trying to get to the end of the thread before posting but reading it makes me want to play the demo and the damn thing just keeps growing.

So here are my impressions; First of all Drake does this weird sliding whenever you start moving which is kind of a shame. However he controls so responsively that this makes little difference. He may look a little floaty but anyone who says it feels floaty is either trolling or has no experience with this kind of game.

The gunplay was what I really needed to be sold on and I was a little disappointed to hear the demo was skewed so heavily in favour of it. After playing it though, wow. The cover system worked great, the freedom you have while in cover took me completely by surprise and unloading an AK was very satisfying (FYI automatic fire greatly reduces accuracy so if you unload a full clip you're only likely to make 4 or 5 hits, I love it) as was the shotgun backflip.

Drakes barrel comment is what really sold me though, hilarious.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Oh yes, now I remembered, on that first shootout, I noticed you can even latch on top of that broken stone wall, and peek over it to shoot at pirates. It makes it easier to aim at one of them actually. I thought that was a very nice touch, as you usually just lean left/right, or over a small cover only when your feet are on the ground. Here they obviously decided to make some use of character's agility even during shootouts.

djtortilla said:
i had my system language set to spanish and I played this demo

gee they dropped the equivalent of the s-word and f-word in spanish a few times

in english its much milder
He says 'shit' at least once in English as well.

steve

Banned
The camera only takes control when they want to frame a specific scene, at least from what I noticed. 80% of the time, I was telling it where to look, not the other way around.

The other 20% would be the camera telling me, and 10% of the time it's where I would have been lookign anyway.

I thought it worked well, not once did it get me killed or prevent me from performing a move, that's the number one sign that a camera is working.

Raist

Banned
freethought said:
Man, I keep trying to get to the end of the thread before posting but reading it makes me want to play the demo and the damn thing just keeps growing.

So here are my impressions; First of all Drake does this weird sliding whenever you start moving which is kind of a shame. However he controls so responsively that this makes little difference. He may look a little floaty but anyone who says it feels floaty is either trolling or has no experience with this kind of game.

The gunplay was what I really needed to be sold on and I was a little disappointed to hear the demo was skewed so heavily in favour of it. After playing it though, wow. The cover system worked great, the freedom you have while in cover took me completely by surprise and unloading an AK was very satisfying (FYI automatic fire greatly reduces accuracy so if you unload a full clip you're only likely to make 4 or 5 hits, I love it) as was the shotgun backflip.

Drakes barrel comment is what really sold me though, hilarious.

Wait a minute... I thought you were from UK. HOW DO YOU PLAY IT.

Probably a US PS3 huh ? sigh...

rothbart

Alski said:

Uncharted: Drake's VR Fortune confirmed! $150 VR helmet attachment!

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (Pyschic Controller Edition), the camera knows where you want to look, and it's a good thing too, because we as game developers do not!

Sheesh! I've never seen a game that allowed user camera control that I didn't use that camera control to look somewhere other than the default spot the camera pointed at... this is not something to bitch about. Would you prefer they take away ALL user control of the camera?

Slavik81

Alski said:
Out to lunch? Let me expand where I'm coming from on this one. I also hate the camera in Zelda and Metroid (before the Wii). I want direct control all the time. Don't assume that what you as a developer want me to look as is more important then what I as the player want to look at.

Uhh... You don't. It's mapped to the stick in Uncharted and there seems to be very little automatic camera movement. I don't think there's even a button you use to centre the camera.

It forces you to choose where you want to look. I don't like that part of it. I liked Zelda on the Wii and such though. That seems like something you'd like, though, based on the description you gave.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Alski said:

That's just a plain weird answer, come on now. Sometimes the game has to give you hints by pointing the camera or expanding in a certain way. This is the free roaming camera used by all 3d 3rd person games. Even FPSes do it at times. You may miss something extremely important and be lost without end without hints

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
MickeyKnox said:
Fucking hell man, I was at 98% and my internet went down. What a fucking general pain in the ass, I just restarted the d/l.
huh my downloads pickup right where they leave off. Why did you have to restart ?

steve

Banned
MickeyKnox said:
Fucking hell man, I was at 98% and my internet went down. What a fucking general pain in the ass, I just restarted the d/l.
Why would have to restart?

It should resume at 98% when you get your internet back up. *scratches head*

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
freethought said:
Very true - the reason why there's small sliding sometimes is to get him to run fast quicker and to be responsive - without making his legs move at a spastic rate, or for you to wait until he reacts to the change in your input. They said they put responsiveness to user input first - which is the decision I agree with, but I also really think they married this perfectly with making him move smoothly with some really complex animation. It's almost like having a real person put in a game and controlling him with some unrealistic requests (to start running really fast or to stop really quickly, etc.)

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Fuck you all!

I keep reading this thread and I keep wanting to replay the damn demo.

Guess what? I'm gonna replay the damn demo! Are ya happy now?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Alski said:
Don't assume that what you as a developer want me to look as is more important then what I as the player want to look at.
Don't assume the developers made such decisions so idly. There's a recent interview where they specifically talked about this, explaining that they much prefer to keep the camera in control of the player whenever they can, but there are just some times when they found that it better to specifically frame an event/scene in a specific way. They tried to weigh the decision to take away control carefully, so don't paint them as being so flippant about it.

spwolf

reilo said:
Fuck you all!

I keep reading this thread and I keep wanting to replay the damn demo.

Guess what? I'm gonna replay the damn demo! Are ya happy now?

i played it 5 times until i finished it :). thats a lot for me.

reilo

By the way, the dialog and random comments by Drake remind me of non other than:

evil%20dead%20ss%20ash%202.jpg

Zer0

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
True, but you can't really blame people for approaching "Che on PS3" impressions with half a laugh in their throats. These sound honest enough, but there was no way these impressions were going to be anything but lukewarm. And I'd expect people to say the same about me if I ever offered impressions on something like Mass Effect.

why anyone gives a XXXX about the impresions of someone who

A works for ms

B give a 9 to pdz

C gives negative impresions of every ps3 game on the horizont

dont get me wrong i thing che is a nice guy,but come on che impressions about anything ps3 related its like getting bill gates talking about linux

besada

Banned
I just finished my latest run. Hard, one bullet fired. I had to use a bullet for the first gate, but otherwise all kills were done by hand. Hardest points? The guys across the log and the guys on the cliff at the temple. Climbing up to them while they shoot at you is a giant pain.

I died once, when I forgot about the third wave at the temple and got caught out in the open.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Goddamn...every single time I try to play the demo, it locks up. Sometimes at the start, sometimes farther in. But it never fails...maybe it fucked up on the install or something, but I definitely don't want to download it again. =(

ARGH.

Loudninja

Kintaro said:
Goddamn...every single time I try to play the demo, it locks up. Sometimes at the start, sometimes farther in. But it never fails...maybe it fucked up on the install or something, but I definitely don't want to download it again. =(

ARGH.

Maybe the demo is not finish yet? that happen to me

steve

Banned
besada said:
I just finished my latest run. Hard, one bullet fired. I had to use a bullet for the first gate, but otherwise all kills were done by hand. Hardest points? The guys across the log and the guys on the cliff at the temple. Climbing up to them while they shoot at you is a giant pain.

I died once, when I forgot about the third wave at the temple and got caught out in the open.
That's insane. I tried multiple times to kill those guys across the log by hand, and the mofos up top picked me off every time. And that was on Normal.

What's your secret?

reilo

You know, the platforming bits in this game are super easy when you think about it. Smooth rather.

Unlike, let's say, Ninja Gaiden ∑, where you have to fall off eighty fucking times before you get it right and have to use a three button combo just to jump up onto a ledge. Not a great comparison, but still, in contrast, very nice.

Top Bottom