• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

besada

Banned
steve said:
That's insane. I tried multiple times to kill those guys across the log by hand, and the mofos up top picked me off every time. And that was on Normal.

What's your secret?

Get halfway across the log before they start firing:) I essentially raced across the log, and as I got to the end launched into a contextual melee attack on the guy with the hat, knocking him out in one blow with a vault kick from the end of the log. Roll (the real secret) to the next guy, and straight into spamming the square button. Forget that combo stuff, it takes too long.

As soon as you knock out the second guy on the ground, roll to the cliff and stay there until you heal. Climb the vine, beat the tar out of the guy on top, then roll to the next guy and bash him.

That one really was the hardest. The closer you can position Nathan under the cliff, the less fire you take from above.

Madman

besada said:
I just finished my latest run. Hard, one bullet fired. I had to use a bullet for the first gate, but otherwise all kills were done by hand. Hardest points? The guys across the log and the guys on the cliff at the temple. Climbing up to them while they shoot at you is a giant pain.

I died once, when I forgot about the third wave at the temple and got caught out in the open.
I would like to see a video of this.

Finally got around to playing the demo. It really does feel alot like Gears of War mixed with some sketchy platforming and I'm really kind of surprised. I guess I was expecting more of a Tomb Raider-esque game and less of a shooter but based on that demo the game is more of a shooter than anything else. The gunplay is pretty satisfying (though I'd like a little rumble) and graphically it's damn nice but the platforming.....I'm not feeling it. The game seems pretty floaty when it comes to jumping and climbing, especially for someone like myself that just played Tomb Raider Anniversary.

Seems better than Ratchet though. That's a plus.

Kittonwy

Banned
Marconelly said:
Camera, from what I've played was awesome. A really nice mix between user controlled input and automatic/cinematic perspective framing. It also offers you the L2 hint view that works like in Gears and focuses on an important thing, useful if you get stuck.

You really thought that and had to investigate where to climb? I thought it was plain as day where you can climb and where you're not supposed to. I loved the climbing in the demo in general. They really cleaned up the animation there from that first build (that was this same location) and added much more incidental animation and weight to his climbing movements.

Man, I really loved just moving around in the demo, so nice and fun.

I agree. I thought climb spots were obvious enough. And instead of cover being just cover that you can vault over, you can climb on them, you can jump on them, works well and there's plenty of freedom.

Madman

besada said:
Much more boring than it sounds, as it requires waiting for guys to get tired of shooting at your cover and come after you.
Yeah, I guess I could see how it could be done that way. But man, that would be extremely boring. It would be like playing Heavenly Sword with just one stance.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Hitler Stole My Potato said:
The game seems pretty floaty when it comes to jumping and climbing, especially for someone like myself that just played Tomb Raider Anniversary.
I disagree - not that I didn't like last two TRs, but moving around here is so much more organic, it's like all that comes so much more natural to Drake, as opposed to TR, where it's almost, I dunno mathematical (by the numbers?) in comparison.

It's different in any case, and I think many will grow to love it once they get used to it a bit.

Kittonwy said:
I agree. I thought climb spots were obvious enough. And instead of cover being just cover that you can vault over, you can climb on them, you can jump on them, works well and there's plenty of freedom.
Yeah, I mentioned that in one of my previous post. That was a very nice surprise, and perfectly made sense in the whole shooting+platforming concept.

deepbrown

So who's going to try the fix? Or have all PAL gamers gone now? Or who's going to help with it...why is everybody here so selfish and self concerned?

besada

Banned
Madman said:
Yeah, I guess I could see how it could be done that way. But man, that would be extremely boring. It would be like playing Heavenly Sword with just one stance.

As I approach my fifteenth playthrough, I was just looking to see if it was possible. It really becomes much more like MGS, which has the same waiting for the enemy vibe.

deepbrown

deepbrown said:
POSSIBLE FIX FOR DIRTY FOREIGNERS
Ok well...I still havent managed to do it myself, simply because i can't be bothered to set up another account. And I'm not sure if said person is mistaken either. They say they have friends in New Zealand that have done it and the demo works perfectly...SO.

Apparently you are to create a new account, sign up to US - and set the US as the "home account" (what does this mean, the Master account? My Us account is a master account...is it meant to be the ONLY master account? How do i make my exisitng accouns sub-accounts if this is the case.) You then download the demo from that account and it should work.

Peh...who knows, I'm struggling to get hold of this guy to confirm and speak in better english.

Ps. Anyone made Drake stand on one leg? He will if you go near an edge. (apparently :( )
This possible fix. It is subtly different to just playing it on your US account...I need help in understanding what the guy means though.

to fix create a new account on yourps3 that has the U.S.A set as your home and the download the demo from that account. 60% of people Iknowin the pal region (NZ) who have dont so have the demoworking perfectly. Use this as atemp solution to the problem.

deepbrown

Forsete said:
Sounds like bullcrap. :/
It's worked for his PAL friends....so help me. Oh i dunno...just sounds like they're downloading it. Though he has no reason to lie about it working for them...meh

Marconelly said:
I disagree - not that I didn't like last two TRs, but moving around here is so much more organic, it's like all that comes so much more natural to Drake, as opposed to TR, where it's almost, I dunno mathematical (by the numbers?) in comparison.

It's different in any case, and I think many will grow to love it once they get used to it a bit.

I just felt like the main character wasn't in the same enviornment as the background (when it came to the platforming) - like there was some sort of disconnection. I guess I prefer the more solid state of TR platforms than this.

But this is just a demo. God knows I've played enough demos that don't do justice to the final product.

Forsete

deepbrown said:
It's worked for his PAL friends....so help me. Oh i dunno...just sounds like they're downloading it. Though he has no reason to lie about it working for them...meh

Ok, ill check it out. Setting my US account as the master account, will try and load the game. if that does not work, ill try and re-download.

Raist

Banned
Maybe the "master account" stuff means that you have to set this account as the one that the PS3 logs in when you boot it. Dunno.

Don't feel like trying tho. Has great chances to be 100% BS so I won't bother dl'ing the demo again. Unless someone here states it works :p

deepbrown

Forsete said:
Ok, ill check it out. Setting my US account as the master account, will try and load the game. if that does not work, ill try and re-download.
But does it mean master account? I dont know. Making it the default login? Maybe.

I really do not think it's a hardware thing though...we've yet to hear of a US resident with a Japanese ps3...

deepbrown

Forsete said:
The thing is I have lots of master accounts...at least I think I do. So how do I make my others sub-accounts, so the US one is the only master account? In fact how do I check that it is a master account?

Forsete

deepbrown said:
The thing is I have lots of master accounts...at least I think I do. So how do I make my others sub-accounts, so the US one is the only master account? In fact how do I check that it is a master account?

I figure the master account is the one you log into? If not, all my accounts are master accounts, and I dont think there is a way to make them sub accounts. And I wont be deleting any accounts of my system.

Mifune

Mehmber
Hitler Stole My Potato said:
I just felt like the main character wasn't in the same enviornment as the background (when it came to the platforming) - like there was some sort of disconnection. I guess I prefer the more solid state of TR platforms than this.

But this is just a demo. God knows I've played enough demos that don't do justice to the final product.

Yeah, I'm holding out hope that the demo isn't a good representation of the final game.

I think I would be fine with the demo if it had fewer enemies and the controls were just a bit tighter.

jett

D-Member
Evilore's eyes are weaksauce confirmed.*

*except when looking at a certain konami-developed game that looks like complete shit when compared to Uncharted.

deepbrown

Forsete said:
I figure the master account is the one you log into? If not, all my accounts are master accounts, and I dont think there is a way to make them sub accounts. And I wont be deleting any accounts of my system.
Same...what is this guy trying to say. He's not lying...maybe just misinformed. I DONT KNOW!

I have MASTER ACC US and it doesnt work
when I turn on the PS3 I can choose between:
my Master US acc
my master EU acc
my master Japan acc
or my Master Hong kong acc

doesnt work on ANY OF THEM

what I do not have is SUB accounts on any of my master accounts

I downloaded the Demo from my Master US account obviously and it didnt work

deepbrown

Nick Laslett said:
I downloaded the demo on my PAL console last night. Obviously it didn't work.

I dusted off my Japanese PS3, updated to firmware 2.0, and downloaded the demo again. It still doesn't work.

But this is an NTSC console! It only has a US account.

Any ideas?
Oh who knows. I still don't think it's hardware based.

reilo said:
By the way, the dialog and random comments by Drake remind me of non other than:

evil%20dead%20ss%20ash%202.jpg
Uncharted (+PS3) is DAY 1 now.

Forsete

Well, making the US account the primary account does not work.

I think this is bullshit, Uncharted probably looks at the hardware, nothing more.

Firewire

Banned
deepbrown said:
I can't...that's the problemo. Why comment and then not reply to questions! Grrr!

Deep I think its complete bull! If he posts it one time then doesn't respond at all, that pretty much tells you something. Also if this was the way to fix it, either Sony or Naughty Dog would have said do this, and believe me Sony knows people have accounts for other regions besides the one they reside in.

AKS

EviLore said:
Apparently your pistol has stronger bullets than the AK-47.

That bothered me somewhat, too, but I think they made it that way to balance the weapons. If you had a realistic AK-47, you'd be unstoppable if it did the damage that rifle is capable of. I was a US Marine, and I've seen an AK-47 chop a cinder block in half with a single round. It pretty much shreds any living thing that it hits. Large rounds with serious destructive power. The game wouldn't be that fun if you just tore through everything like that. An assault rifle has superior range, power, firing rate, firing capacity, ect over pistols. You kind of have to adjust the power and weaken an assault rifle somewhat or you'd overpower everything else except a sniper rilfe at a distance or a shotgun at close range. Or grenades, which are very nasty, particularly in real life given that they toss very sharp steel fragments in every direction at a high velocity for quite a distance (you can't just jump in the air like they do in the movies and escape a grenade; you'd be Swiss cheese).

Dante

besada said:
Monstrously good demo?

Well I played this demo like 8 times already, and I plan on playing it more this weekend. It feels different each time you play it kinda like MGS. That's why I am hoping we get a small MGS4 demo this year, that's way we can paly it over and over again.

Alski

I work for M$ marketing! Hi!
rothbart said:
Uncharted: Drake's VR Fortune confirmed! $150 VR helmet attachment!

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (Pyschic Controller Edition), the camera knows where you want to look, and it's a good thing too, because we as game developers do not!

Sheesh! I've never seen a game that allowed user camera control that I didn't use that camera control to look somewhere other than the default spot the camera pointed at... this is not something to bitch about. Would you prefer they take away ALL user control of the camera?

What are you talking about... did you even read what I posted?
Using an analogue stick to move a camera != pushing a button to center a camera.

besada

Banned
Dante said:
Well I played this demo like 8 times already, and I plan on playing it more this weekend. It feels different each time you play it kinda like MGS. That's why I am hoping we get a small MGS4 demo this year, that's way we can paly it over and over again.

Fifteen times and counting. CoD4 is getting lonely.

OMG!!! O_O!!!
Me and my friends just got through the demo and I dont think I have ever seen a more gorgeous game in my life. The wind blowing through the environment throwing dust and leaves around the shadows on everything the sound effects it just is so amazingly gorgeous!
I cant believe this game just wow.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Loudninja said:
No one posting their funny moments :(
The funniest thing I saw was actually in Dot50Cal's video when he tossed a grenade at an enemy which landed directly at his feet and the pirate basically just stood there and said, "Uh oh."

Mesijs

I'm not going to say ANYTHING about the storyline, as people are asking. I'm too scared too spoil anything and ruin it for most people.

I can only say that the storyline is good and surprising, that the characters are strong and that it is intriguing. I would love to say more but I would spoil it.

I can say that if you like action games, Uncharted is a no-brainer. It is as good as it looks and all gameplay mechanics are worked out perfectly. So buy it, you won't regret it. I assure you. One of the most entertaining and good games I played in a long time.

I think it's the best PS3-game available, and it must be one of the best games of this generation until now.

Alski

I work for M$ marketing! Hi!
PistolGrip said:
That's just a plain weird answer, come on now. Sometimes the game has to give you hints by pointing the camera or expanding in a certain way. This is the free roaming camera used by all 3d 3rd person games. Even FPSes do it at times. You may miss something extremely important and be lost without end without hints

I agree, and I liked that. Its the same concept as when something cool would happen in gears of war and you actually wanted to watch it you could press the button to have the camera look at it.

I shouldn't have added the push button thing as that point wasn't relevant to Drake. However there are times that the game does try to change my focus away from what I am interested in and I hate that.

Dante

kaching said:
The funniest thing I saw was actually in Dot50Cal's video when he tossed a grenade at an enemy which landed directly at his feet and the pirate basically just stood there and said, "Uh oh."

*rushes to watch that vid.

I chuckle everytime I shoot them ion the arm when they take their grenade out and they drop it at their feet and take themselves out.

besada

Banned
Loudninja said:
No one posting their funny moments :(

In my attempt to do the one-bullet run, I hid underneath an arch. The arch which crumbles in the temple area as men leap on it. I went from being under cover to being surrounded by three AK-wielding maniacs after having rocks bash me in the skull.

Loudninja

kaching said:

Another funny moment is when a pirate toss a grenade it bounce of the wall and landed at one of his pirate freinds hiding places.:lol

In my attempt to do the one-bullet run, I hid underneath an arch. The arch which crumbles in the temple area as men leap on it. I went from being under cover to being surrounded by three AK-wielding maniacs after having rocks bash me in the skull.

I have to try that :D

Kittonwy

Banned
deepbrown said:
This possible fix. It is subtly different to just playing it on your US account...I need help in understanding what the guy means though.

Don't screw around with the machine with these "possible fixes" just for a demo, you don't know who's coming up with this information and whether they'll work.

Top Bottom