• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Can't wait to play the demo today.

I have, however, listened to the demo soundtrack posted above and am really impressed with the music. Even this aspect of the game reminds me of Gears in that I expected both of them to feature dull soundtracks but, in the end, the results were spectacular.

ant1532

Banned
Just played the demo. Loved how his soaked in water clothes looked. The characters faces look weird to me in the cutscenes, especially the girl's.. The gameplay felt pretty solid, I love the way he reloads and the way you aim.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
dark10x said:
Can't wait to play the demo today.

I have, however, listened to the demo soundtrack posted above and am really impressed with the music. Even this aspect of the game reminds me of Gears in that I expected both of them to feature dull soundtracks but, in the end, the results were spectacular.
It's pretty crazy, isn't it - an ND game with truly remarkable music and sound effects. The title screen theme sells you on the whole thing as soon as it kicks in :-D

In other news, my 'official countdown' is close to being done. I really spent quite some time working on it - so Uncharted fans, I hope you'll like it.

Just finished the demo, it was kind of short, I've been playing too much Pc stuff lately so I still have to get more adept at the controls but I really dig it.

The musical score when you just let the menu run is fucking awesome.

dark10x

Marconelly said:
It's pretty crazy, isn't it - an ND game with truly remarkable music and sound effects. The title screen theme sells you on the whole thing as soon as it kicks in :-D
Yeah, I never expected it. I've literally hated the soundtracks in previous ND games. Jak 3 had a few decent tunes, but the other games had *TERRIBLE* soundtracks that detracted from the experience. I'm so thrilled that they actually realized that Uncharted NEEDED a powerful score and contracted someone out who could pull it off.

methane47

robertsan21 said:
I have MASTER ACC US and it doesnt work
when I turn on the PS3 I can choose between:
my Master US acc
my master EU acc
my master Japan acc
or my Master Hong kong acc

doesnt work on ANY OF THEM

what I do not have is SUB accounts on any of my master accounts

I downloaded the Demo from my Master US account obviously and it didnt work

This post makes no sense to me... Cant you only have one master account per PS3?

Dyno

AKS said:
If you had a realistic AK-47, you'd be unstoppable if it did the damage that rifle is capable of.

I'm surprised that people can have such different perceptions playing the same game segment.

I wasn't aiming for the head all that much, just pop-pop-popping the rounds in to see how it looked and played. I usually had to empty the pistol clip into a guy's body to have him go down. With the AK I kept it to a three-round burst and the guy fell over just the same.

So my impression was that the AK had at least twice the stopping power of the pistol which seemed right to me.

Kittonwy

Banned
AKS said:
That bothered me somewhat, too, but I think they made it that way to balance the weapons. If you had a realistic AK-47, you'd be unstoppable if it did the damage that rifle is capable of. I was a US Marine, and I've seen an AK-47 chop a cinder block in half with a single round. It pretty much shreds any living thing that it hits. Large rounds with serious destructive power. The game wouldn't be that fun if you just tore through everything like that. An assault rifle has superior range, power, firing rate, firing capacity, ect over pistols. You kind of have to adjust the power and weaken an assault rifle somewhat or you'd overpower everything else except a sniper rilfe at a distance or a shotgun at close range. Or grenades, which are very nasty, particularly in real life given that they toss very sharp steel fragments in every direction at a high velocity for quite a distance (you can't just jump in the air like they do in the movies and escape a grenade; you'd be Swiss cheese).

Yeah I think they made it this way so that the pistol isn't completely useless because often I'm stuck with having the pistol only.

lupinko

Well it was probably posted already in this thread and in the PSN thread, but yeah it's a bug they didn't test for, and they also mentioned the localization teams for PAL and NTSCJ regions are putting finishing touches on their versions, I don't know how much that weighs in on this, that or it's just a PR comment to deflect the QA screwup.

It sucks that I can't play the demo, NTSCJ PS3 am fail. =/

Stupid question, will they fix this bug when the game hits North America on the 20th? Because Uncharted was pretty much my console / pc game of 2007. =(

Insomniac QA > ND QA confirmed.

Station42

deepbrown said:
This possible fix. It is subtly different to just playing it on your US account...I need help in understanding what the guy means though.
I don't really understand the "account" thing...as you do...it sounds fake though...i won't really spend my time on it, better get out drinking...it's friday, after all.

NekoFever

Decision to import a console vindicated again! When will PAL players learn? :D

Graphically, the game is beautiful. Apart from one glaring flaw - the explosions, which I think look a bit shit - it's one of the best looking games I've ever seen and keeps running smoothly 99% of the time.

Overall I thought it was great. A couple of flaws - the difficulty seemed slightly high and the Sixaxis grenade aiming is unwieldy to say the least (please let it be optional) - but the good stuff far outweighed them. I liked the platforming, and when it was being controlled by the sticks the combat was great fun.

jarosh

deepbrown said:
POSSIBLE FIX FOR DIRTY FOREIGNERS
Ok well...I still havent managed to do it myself, simply because i can't be bothered to set up another account. And I'm not sure if said person is mistaken either. They say they have friends in New Zealand that have done it and the demo works perfectly...SO.

Apparently you are to create a new account, sign up to US - and set the US as the "home account" (what does this mean, the Master account? My Us account is a master account...is it meant to be the ONLY master account? How do i make my exisitng accouns sub-accounts if this is the case.) You then download the demo from that account and it should work.

Peh...who knows, I'm struggling to get hold of this guy to confirm and speak in better english.

Ps. Anyone made Drake stand on one leg? He will if you go near an edge. (apparently :( )
that's not a fix. that's bullshit.

and also, i like this:

deepbrown said:
So who's going to try the fix? why is everybody here so selfish and self concerned?
deepbrown said:
Ok well...I still havent managed to do it myself, simply because i can't be bothered to set up another account.
oic

deepbrown

jarosh said:
that's not a fix. that's bullshit.

and also, i like this:

oic

I wanted help because I didn't understand :( Don't be mean. I'm devastated. You're all jolly and feel the need to point and poke non-stoic people. :( I wish I was like you.

Impressions in spoiler for those who haven't downloaded.

The setup intro video was fantastic, imho. It shows Drake's sense of humor off, and you get to hear little bits of it as you play.

The enemy AI seems to do a pretty good job at trying to flank you. You can see this best in the circular courtyard - I spawned in there after dying (grenades suck), and four enemies were moving in groups of two to flank me from opposite sides.

I like shooting from cover, and I can see how some would liken it to Gears of War. It works well, and feels right.

The platforming sections aren't too difficult, but do require you look around the environment to see what you're capable of. Some of the rocks, etc, look like you can climb them, but can't. (this is mostly in corners, though).

All in all, I can definitely see myself picking this game up. The demo takes place in the 4th chapter/level, and I can't wait to see what happens in later levels or where the story goes.

Loudninja

DeejayKnight said:
Impressions in spoiler for those who haven't downloaded.

The setup intro video was fantastic, imho. It shows Drake's sense of humor off, and you get to hear little bits of it as you play.

The enemy AI seems to do a pretty good job at trying to flank you. You can see this best in the circular courtyard - I spawned in there after dying (grenades suck), and four enemies were moving in groups of two to flank me from opposite sides.

I like shooting from cover, and I can see how some would liken it to Gears of War. It works well, and feels right.

The platforming sections aren't too difficult, but do require you look around the environment to see what you're capable of. Some of the rocks, etc, look like you can climb them, but can't. (this is mostly in corners, though).

All in all, I can definitely see myself picking this game up. The demo takes place in the 4th chapter/level, and I can't wait to see what happens in later levels or where the story goes.

Nice, the game is 20 chapters long, I cannot wait! :D

AZ Greg

With my dwindling game budget, I decided to buy either Ratchet or Uncharted depending on which demo impressed me more. I'll be going to pickup Ratchet this weekend. My complaints with Uncharted have already been mentioned in this thread by other posters so I won't restate them. But what is up with screen tearing on some of the bigger PS3 exclusives (NG:S, HS, and Uncharted)? At least Insomniac hasn't let me down!

bryehn

deepbrown said:
Ps. Anyone made Drake stand on one leg? He will if you go near an edge. (apparently :( )

Yeah, right near the beginning. It's like an animation for standing/walking on stairs...but you can see it on slopes. Other than that...the stilted animations and clipping issues while climbing...it seems that this turned out pretty good indeed. The enemy AI makes it for me. Not buying until after the holiday rush, but the demo got me interested for sure. I also like that it's good and challenging (to me at least, I don't play a ton of shooters/action games).

Really not seeing why everyone has a hard-on for the graphics at all though. The rocks & shit are all too shiny, there's lots of clipping and tearing too. Some of the animations simply don't fit right, and the wrinkles on his shirt bend the same way every time. Oh, and will anybody ever get swaying grass to look remotely natural?

Don't get me wrong, it's a great looking game...but not the "BEST EVAR" that some people make it out to be...

Some kind of weird uncanny valley going on with the characters' teeth in the cutscene too. Hard to explain, but they're showing way too much bottom tooth or something.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
AZ Greg said:
But what is up with screen tearing on some of the bigger PS3 exclusives (NG:S, HS, and Uncharted)? At least Insomniac hasn't let me down!
How many great looking games do you know that don't have any kind of framerate problems? I can't even remember the last time I saw one that has no freme skipping or tearing of any kind.

As to why there's tearing - simple - most people prefer tearing (or better say, notice it less) to frame drops.

I think it's a bit silly to complain about framerate in Uncharted when it looks better than pretty much anything else and keeps 30FPS for what seems like 95% of the time.

bryehn said:
Don't get me wrong, it's a great looking game...but not the "BEST EVAR" that some people make it out to be...
It kind of... is, really. At least I can't think of anything. The rocks look shiny when they are next to the water - because they are wet. Other times, they don't look shiny. The semi-natural look things have is a stylistic choice too, can't fault them for that. All textures are hand drawn, for example. Some of the animations may not look right, but there isn't anything that animates better overall either. Wrinkles on his shirt don't bend the same way every time btw - it depends on what move you're doing.

Dante

AZ Greg said:
With my dwindling game budget, I decided to buy either Ratchet or Uncharted depending on which demo impressed me more. I'll be going to pickup Ratchet this weekend. My complaints with Uncharted have already been mentioned in this thread by other posters so I won't restate them. But what is up with screen tearing on some of the bigger PS3 exclusives (NG:S, HS, and Uncharted)? At least Insomniac hasn't let me down!

It's not a PS3 problem:

904_0006.jpg

deepbrown

bryehn said:
Yeah, right near the beginning. It's like an animation for standing/walking on stairs...but you can see it on slopes. Other than that...the stilted animations and clipping issues while climbing...it seems that this turned out pretty good indeed. The enemy AI makes it for me. Not buying until after the holiday rush, but the demo got me interested for sure. I also like that it's good and challenging (to me at least, I don't play a ton of shooters/action games).

Really not seeing why everyone has a hard-on for the graphics at all though. The rocks & shit are all too shiny, there's lots of clipping and tearing too. Some of the animations simply don't fit right, and the wrinkles on his shirt bend the same way every time. Oh, and will anybody ever get swaying grass to look remotely natural?

Some kind of weird uncanny valley going on with the characters' teeth in the cutscene too. Hard to explain, but they're showing way too much bottom tooth or something.
My shirt, jumper creases in the very same spots too whats your point....plus I tend to believe Marcs...he has a very good eye and amazing attention to detail.

It's a jungle, the rocks are wet. See the moss growing on them? I've been in rainforests and jungles, and if there's plant matter growing on the rocks near water (waterfalls) then they become slightly porous, and hold water on their surface, making them look shiny. Oh and btw...if you don't like "shiny" that's a preference, not a sign that the graphics are "the bad".

What looks better?

Kittonwy

Banned
Marconelly said:
How many great looking games do you know that don't have any kind of framerate problems? I can't even remember the last time I saw one that has no freme skipping or tearing of any kind.

As to why there's tearing - simple - most people prefer tearing (or better say, notice it less) to frame drops.

I think it's a bit silly to complain about framerate in Uncharted when it looks better than pretty much anything else and keeps 30FPS for what seems like 95% of the time.

It kind of... is, really. At least I can't think of anything. The rocks look shiny when they are next to the water - because they are wet. Other times, they don't look shiny. The semi-natural look things have is a stylistic choice too, can't fault them for that. All textures are hand drawn, for example. Some of the animations may not look right, but there isn't anything that animates better overall either. Wrinkles on his shirt don't bend the same way every time btw - it depends on what move you're doing.

I don't know, some people are just really picky now with this game, it's not like the game has a lot of tearing, just slightly, and the environment in the demo is simply awesome. And the gameplay? I think they've nailed it.

dark10x

My lord, this is incredible looking. This is indeed the next Gears of War, as far as I'm concerned. It actually does everything better. Superior textures, higher poly environments and characters, and a VASTLY superior lighting engine (fully dynamic high resolution shadows + HDR). Oh, and the motion blur is lovely when you spin the camera.

This absolutely crushes anything else on PS3 or 360, if you ask me, and it's a damn fun game too. I'm impressed with how good this feels.

The animation is pretty insane too. Drake has a few odd looking bits, but most of his movements are great. What REALLY feels special, though, are the animations of the enemies. I'm not used to seeing such things, but it really makes them feel alive. The way they dodge and dance around in front of you prevents them from ever appearing to repeat animations. So often in games with cover you can just point your gun towards a specific spot and the enemy will pop out right there for you but that does not happen here and you are forced to constantly adjust your aim (which is fun).

Hopefully the final game features a perfect framerate, though, as the minor slowdown and tearing DOES detract from it.

Oh, and the sound blew me away as well.

It kind of... is, really. At least I can't think of anything.
I agree. On a micro basis, I think this looks even better than Crysis on a high-end machine (though when you consider the size of the worlds in Crysis, there is no doubt that it is a leap beyond Uncharted).

Dante

Kittonwy said:
I don't know, some people are just really picky now with this game, it's not like the game has a lot of tearing, just slightly, and the environment in the demo is simply awesome.

Exactly, you want games that really push the envelope, your gonna have a few minor hiccups along the way

BTW, Love this shot El Capitan

http://i9.tinypic.com/87ks107.jpg

Kittonwy

Banned
[CFD] El Capitan said:
Thanks. The cloth in this game is so awesome. All the folds that shade themselves...good lordy.

It's great when he runs you can see the wrinkles shift, pretty freakin' cool rawr.
Indifferent2.gif

VonGak!

Banned
Loudninja said:
Drake mouth actually moves when he talks, I am talking about when he first land.

He should also according to the devs blink when bullets recoils near by him.

As I have been saying for a long time, this is what I since before E3 '05 wanted from next gen and Uncharted is the first game to deliver it.

M3Freak

Banned
The game demo rocked. The actual game is going to make me cry rivers of joy.

What I liked:

1. the controls were smooth and responsive. Nathan didn't feel like a log.
2. looking into the distance gave me the affect of looking at a painting - the graphics are the best I've ever experienced/seen.
3. sound is awesome - effects and music are both top notch, and sound terrific in my HT (crappy DD and DTS only...no uncompressed loving yet).
4. I loved the smoke clouds in the distance from the plane wreckage. They looked real, and also gave me the feeling of needing to get over their quick.
5. shooting enemies in different areas of their bodies makes them react believably - fun.
6. awesome black smoke clouds from exploding grenades
7. jumping from one cover spot to another was smooth and easy to do
8. I could make Nathan dive at a wall and when coming back, he would right into
cover mode
9. I could shoot at enemies far away, and more importantly, I could even see them moving around.
10. I loved how the enemies took cover, and eventually rushed. made the fights much more intense.
11. lighting is damn fine - the shadows on the ground fall on nathan the exact same way.
12. nathan's comment while doing his thing were funny and interesting to hear.
13. wet clothes - shiny and sweet.
14. awesome detail on Nathan when you go into shooting mode
15. I liked the hints - they will come in handy
16. enemies blowing themselves - hilarity. only after reading some of this monster thread did I learn that I must have a dude with a grenade, making him drop it, thus killing himself
17. movings trees, plants, atmospheric sounds, the birds.
18. awesome sky - looks real
19. Nathan's lips move when he's talking in game - awesome.
20. The enemies are animated beautifully - I love the way walk around, duck, dive, shoot, die...all awesome.

what I didn't like:

1. my wife was enthralled by the opening scene, and now wants to watch me play the full game. if she keeps to this, I'll have to play when she has free time. I'm now looking at an estimated time of completion somewhere in mid 2008. :(
2. screen tearing. there wasn't a lot, and most of the time I had to double check that it was really there, but I wish it wasn't there at all.

I hope the tearing isn't in the final game. Otherwise, first day purchase for me.

Loudninja

M3Freak said:
The game demo rocked. The actual game is going to make me cry rivers of joy.

What I liked:

1. the controls were smooth and responsive. Nathan didn't feel like a log.
2. looking into the distance gave me the affect of looking at a painting - the graphics are the best I've ever experienced/seen.
3. sound is awesome - effects and music are both top notch, and sound terrific in my HT (crappy DD and DTS only...no uncompressed loving yet).
4. I loved the smoke clouds in the distance from the plane wreckage. They looked real, and also gave me the feeling of needing to get over their quick.
5. shooting enemies in different areas of their bodies makes them react believably - fun.
6. awesome black smoke clouds from exploding grenades
7. jumping from one cover spot to another was smooth and easy to do
8. I could make Nathan dive at a wall and when coming back, he would right into
cover mode
9. I could shoot at enemies far away, and more importantly, I could even see them moving around.
10. I loved how the enemies took cover, and eventually rushed. made the fights much more intense.
11. lighting is damn fine - the shadows on the ground fall on nathan the exact same way.

what I didn't like:

1. my wife was enthralled by the opening scene, and now wants to watch me play the full game. I'm looking at an estimated time of completion somwhere in mid 2008. :(
2. screen tearing. there wasn't a lot, and most of the time I had to double check that it was really there, but I wish it wasn't there at all.

I hope the tearing isn't in the final game. Otherwise, first day purchase for me.

great,gald you like it :D

Kittonwy

Banned
Sometimes I would shoot at the enemy and miss them by about an inch next to his head, which would be the difference between a kill and the enemy shooting back and aggressively try to take me down rawr. >:|

Loudninja

Small things I notice

1.Drake just dont walk though the bodies, he puts 1 foot on them
2.foes will get tired of you being in cover,and will come after you
3.Drakes mouth moves when he talk durning gameplay
4.Darke will get wet depends on how deep you are in the water, very cool
5.Grenades and bounce off walls, very fun

The demo is so awesome, if you are not using melee you are missing out on so much. I love just going crazy on these guys, just run at them with blind fire then jump in the air with a flying punch to a guy out. I have been trying so many different ways to take on a situation, most of the time I fail badly but a few times I pull off an Indiana Jones moment where I am like "wow that worked".

This one time, during the last wave of guys in that first major area, where the checkpoint restarts you in the middle of the fight, its like 4 guys that come down from the top, one of them has a shotgun. Well I was in the back part (as far away from the gate that leads to the next area, but facing it) so I can see these guys coming down, I had like one bullet so I was like, screw this I'm charging them. The shotgun dude is after me, I run up to him, hit him with blind fire, take him out with one punch, grab the shotgun start rolling toward the low wall, all the while the other guys are hitting me, I am at black and white. But I made it to the wall, and the enemy was right on the other side, so we are like on top of each other (remember that scene in Naked Gun 2, it was like that). I was still hurt so I decided screw poping out of cover, when the guy came up I just blind fired the shotgun from behind the rock and that guy flew, it was so funny. There was a guy on the other side, so I rolled into position and blind fired him too. Shotgun blind fire from cover equals awesome, just letting you know.

deepbrown

Loudninja said:
Small things I notice

1.Drake just dont walk though the bodies, he puts 1 foot on them
2.foes will get tired of you being in cover,and will come after you
3.Drakes mouth moves when he talk durning gameplay
4.Drake will get wet depends on how deep you are in the water, very cool
5.Grenades and bounce off walls, very fun

That sentence makes me sad. :(

Loudninja said:
No one posting their funny moments :(

My funniest moment had less to do with me and more to do with GAF. Just after a barrel kill Drake said something along the lines of "Love those barrels". Also if you get the camera on Drake's face right at the beginning he pulls the funniest face when he's stopped talking. Goddamn, the in-game facial modelling/animation in this game is simply amazing.

I have to say, there's tragically little of it in the demo but what platforming there was is outstanding. Definitely of the PoP/SotC school but it's just so much more fluid and responsive, and even with the small amount we got, there were still different ways of tackling them.

I have to talk about the camera though. Aside from a couple of fixed positions (both in confined spaces where a free camera can cause a lot of problems) the camera is completely under your control. What's all of this talk of it looking where the game wants you to look? Are you talking about the hints? I'm genuinely confused

steve

Banned
Throwing a nade, and watching as the enemy hiding behind cover realizes he's screwed and utters a hopeless "Uh oh..." :lol

Greg

Played the demo again last night and saw the coolest thing. The second time you encounter enemies (the narrow passage), I killed one of the guys right next to a wall. Well, I used that wall as cover, and the point of Drake's foot rested on the on the body, and his heel was rested against the wall - and his entire leg was elevated at an angle due to the body being there.

Looked so fucking real... wish I had a shot of it.

Top Bottom