• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

deepbrown

Greg said:
Played the demo again last night and saw the coolest thing. The second time you encounter enemies (the narrow passage), I killed one of the guys right next to a wall. Well, I used that wall as cover, and the point of Drake's foot rested on the on the body, and his heel was rested against the wall - and his entire leg was elevated at an angle due to the body being there.

Looked so fucking real... wish I had a shot of it.

WOW

European demo was announced for November 22nd.
Well that sucks... Why they do this? It thought the whole Europe-shafting was over...

reilo said:
By the way, the dialog and random comments by Drake remind me of non other than:

evil%20dead%20ss%20ash%202.jpg
If I wasn't already sold on the game this post would've made it so.

VonGak!

Banned
GauntletFan said:
Only on GAF can I go into an Uncharted thread and see a screenshot of Mass Effect

Only on Gaf you can go into a Mass Effect thread and see pictures of Gran Turismo 5.

You did it to defend the poor Mass Effect screens reminding people of the gaming site being poor at image capturing.

Dante posted a pic of Mass Effect to remind people that it's not Uncharted and PS3 which has issues with tearing. Mass Effect is after all a shooter too so tearing has the same impact making the reminder rather fitting.

Mrbob

I need some help with hand to hand attacks. The game tells me to hit square traingle square for a hand to hand combo, but I never can get it to go through. So I keep on hitting square square square. Are you supposed to hit the triangle right after the initial punch goes through. Oh and I saw a pretty cool sequence earlier where I got behind an enemy and used the melee combat. Drake flew on his back and snapped his neck.

Cover combat I'm still not totally convinced yet. The combat aiming mechanic feels somewhat floaty to me right now. The hit animations are cool, but it is a bit disappointing to see all the enemies float back to a bullet hit the same way, and then move on like they were never hit. Would be nice to see them limping around after being shot if ND is going to go to all that effort with the hit animations. Also I'm not a big fan of respawning enemy camps which seem to permeate the demo.

Sound design is incredible though. The enviromental effects are crisp and clear and extremely immersive.

I'm still on the fence after playing the demo. Need to see how the final version pans out.

Dante

VonGak! said:
Only on Gaf you can go into a Mass Effect thread and see pictures of Gran Turismo 5.

You did it to defend the poor Mass Effect screens reminding people of the gaming site being poor at image capturing.

Dante posted a pic of Mass Effect to remind people that it's not Uncharted and PS3 which has issues with tearing. Mass Effect is after all a shooter too so tearing has the same impact making the reminder rather fitting.

Well played :lol

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8454892&postcount=327

Loudninja said:
I never had this much fun with grenades :D

Did you watch Dot's vid with the "uh oh" throw :D

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Played the demo about 5 times by now. Absolutely love it.
The game is freaking gorgeous and it play well too. The AI is pretty good; they flanked me time after time but I drop kicked them in the face when they got too close!

We need more stuff like this demo on PSN...you hear me Sony?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Mrbob said:
Would be nice to see them limping around after being shot if ND is going to go to all that effort with the hit animations. Also I'm not a big fan of respawning enemy camps which seem to permeate the demo.

This actually does happen in the demo. I've seen a guy favoring his shoulder, for example. I've noticed that the animation "resets" after a time though, which is kind of unfortunate, but we're already asking more of them than any other developer.

There are no respawning camps...enemies drop in.

VonGak!

Banned
Greg said:
Played the demo again last night and saw the coolest thing. The second time you encounter enemies (the narrow passage), I killed one of the guys right next to a wall. Well, I used that wall as cover, and the point of Drake's foot rested on the on the body, and his heel was rested against the wall - and his entire leg was elevated at an angle due to the body being there.

Looked so fucking real... wish I had a shot of it.

Better grab a camera and replicate that situation, I need to see... I crave!

Ploid 3.0

I like how enemies react to mistakes or times when they're in trouble. I made one drop a grenade or I threw one at him while he was lining up to shoot me I think. His reaction was looking at it for a second, saying $h#( and realizing he had no time to run away. Grenade masta achievement unlocked!

Mrbob

Y2Kev said:
This actually does happen in the demo. I've seen a guy favoring his shoulder, for example. I've noticed that the animation "resets" after a time though, which is kind of unfortunate, but we're already asking more of them than any other developer.

There are no respawning camps...enemies drop in.

Yeah I know but it seems like an old videogame tactic of just funneling more guys in out of nowhere in waves. See Call of Duty 4 as it does the same thing.

Of course the demo does take place in a big jungle enviroment so I guess it is possible for this to happen.

NekoFever said:
Decision to import a console vindicated again! When will PAL players learn? :D

Graphically, the game is beautiful. Apart from one glaring flaw - the explosions, which I think look a bit shit

You said it man, importing is the only way to fly. I always kind of regretted importing, the customs charge nullified the saving I made, I didn't play anything I couldn't have waited for and the region locking on PS2 games and DVD's always left me with a bad taste in my mouth. But last night I can honestly say my decision was finally worthwhile. I can't imagine how it must feel for my countrymen, I weep for you all.

As far as explosions, I do think they look gorgeous, but in no way, shape or form do they look like real (conventional) explosions.

Dante

Loudninja said:
My God, one of the pirates just said * he out of ammo*, how did the fuck did he know I was out of ammo?

they can hear the empty barrel of your gun, makes like a clicking sound. they totally advance you after that.

This game is beautifully designed, animates like a dream, and plays really well. My only criticism is the large dead zone in the analog control. Congrats to Naughty Dog for doing such a good job.

Dante

Loudninja said:
Ah yes, soon as it made that sound they were on me

The dead bodies look pretty disturbing in this game when you look down at them, I think it's because they look a bit civilian like and eerie.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
This game is beautifully designed, animates like a dream, and plays really well. My only criticism is the large dead zone in the analog control. Congrats to Naughty Dog for doing such a good job.

Try bumping the sensitivity up, I put mine up 2 notches, and I felt it remedied that.

Hunter D said:
This whole thread is ironic.

How is it Ironic? and please, don't say that is ironic :)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Dante said:
The dead bodies look pretty disturbing in this game when you look down at them, I think it's because they look a bit civilian like and eerie.

Try bumping the sensitivity up, I put mine up 2 notches, and I felt it remedied that.

How is it Ironic? and please, don't say that is ironic :)

look at this dead guy

drake3.jpg

i think he looks like kobe bryant

besada

Banned
Mrbob said:
Yeah I know but it seems like an old videogame tactic of just funneling more guys in out of nowhere in waves. See Call of Duty 4 as it does the same thing.

Of course the demo does take place in a big jungle enviroment so I guess it is possible for this to happen.

The enemy spawns are entirely scripted, just like on CoD4. Even though the bodies are often there ahead of time, they simply won't react until the right time. In the temple battle, when you're doing a showdown with the front three guys, the next wave is literally standing at the back holding AKs, but they won't come out unless you a) kill the last of the front three or b)move past the middle of the field. If you Leroy Jenkins out into the field, you can rack up a bunch of guys coming at once in what seem like random timings, but the spawn triggers are very specific.

This is one of those games you could do a real speed run on, because the enemies ar always going to come from the same places. I now always hit one of the three guys at the log with a bullet as he comes down the rope, and I always headshot the guy at the top of the cliff after climbing the vine, because I've learned exactly where his head is going to be when I cross the spawn trigger.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Ugh, something is up with my PS3. It locks up on my demos. Not just Uncharted, but happened with Bladestorm and others. At times, normal games as well. This is getting the fuck on my nerves. Especially after I was *REALLY* getting into the Uncharted demo. Anyone else experience this?

VonGak!

Banned
besada said:
The enemy spawns are entirely scripted, just like on CoD4. Even though the bodies are often there ahead of time, they simply won't react until the right time. In the temple battle, when you're doing a showdown with the front three guys, the next wave is literally standing at the back holding AKs, but they won't come out unless you a) kill the last of the front three or b)move past the middle of the field. If you Leroy Jenkins out into the field, you can rack up a bunch of guys coming at once in what seem like random timings, but the spawn triggers are very specific.

This is one of those games you could do a real speed run on, because the enemies ar always going to come from the same places. I now always hit one of the three guys at the log with a bullet as he comes down the rope, and I always headshot the guy at the top of the cliff after climbing the vine, because I've learned exactly where his head is going to be when I cross the spawn trigger.

Sadly it's the cost of "realism" :( For the gun-play to be challenging while the enemy still being vulnerable to few shots they'll need a ton of enemies, but if all the enemies are sent at once they'll overwhelm the player.

Would have been easier had it been Aliens Nathan was fighting, then they could have a much higher pain.. threshold?

Can't wait for the day where AI will be so good in games that a small groups with realistic hit damage will put up a good challenge without being all knowing (able to know exactly where the player is and what he/she/cat is doing).

deepbrown

VonGak! said:
Sadly it's the cost of "realism" :( For the gun-play to be challenging while the enemy still being vulnerable to few shots they'll need a ton of enemies, but if all the enemies are sent at once they'll overwhelm the player.

Would have been easier had it been Aliens Nathan was fighting, then they could have a much higher pain.. threshold?

Can't wait for the day where AI will be so good in games that a small groups with realistic hit damage will put up a good challenge without being all knowing (able to know exactly where the player is and what he/she/cat is doing).

Meaning the game gets funner as it goes on?

mr_nothin

Banned
VonGak! said:

Programmers can already do that right now.
AI is 'dumb' now because most people suck at playing games.
Take this thread for example.
You have ppl yelling out "OMG THEY NEVER STOP RUSHING AND ADVANCING AND FLANKING" & "I CANT STOP FOR A SECOND AND THINK" and they list those as being "too hard". Having the ai even smarter right now will turn casuals away from games. Look at how many people are complaining about this game being too hard.

3-4 shots is pretty realistic to me...

JB1981

Just played through the demo on Hard and the AI really is quite good. The firefights play out differently with each play through, for me.

I have no problem with aiming. The lack of auto-aim is a nice change of pace and it makes getting headshots all the more satisfying. The soundtrack at the menu screen is probably the best I've heard all year as well. Absolutely stirring stuff.

spwolf

Pewp said:
Please someone tell me how good this game looks HD. I need a good excuse to go buy an HDTV, this could be it.

on my 50" Panny Plasma, it looks considerably better than any screenshot or video posted here or PSN. It looks pretty amazing.

Pachimari

Mesijs said:
I'm not going to say ANYTHING about the storyline, as people are asking. I'm too scared too spoil anything and ruin it for most people.

I can only say that the storyline is good and surprising, that the characters are strong and that it is intriguing. I would love to say more but I would spoil it.

I can say that if you like action games, Uncharted is a no-brainer. It is as good as it looks and all gameplay mechanics are worked out perfectly. So buy it, you won't regret it. I assure you. One of the most entertaining and good games I played in a long time.

I think it's the best PS3-game available, and it must be one of the best games of this generation until now.
Just got home from having completed Uncharted Drake's Fortune. We are not allowed to publish our review before a surden date, which mean, I won't talk a lot about it.

Even though the characters are well-developed, some of them could use a lot more screen-time. Honestly, if you have asked me a score for the beta, I would have given it a 10/10 but after having completed the full game, it's under that score. The game is a masterpiece, though it has some obvious technical problems which affects gameplay.

Oh, and this is my percents of the three core elements of the game:

85% is shooting
10% is platforming
05% is puzzles.

Maybe give and take a little more, but you can imagine the picture. Oh, and I got the presskit as well.

Dante

I tried looking for the skull last night, but couldn't find it. Has anybody found any other easter eggs in the demo?

Grayman

I haven't found a skull but I found a sort of metal stand with some banners on it. It has an L2 to look at and nate says sweet or something.

Dante said:
I tried looking for the skull last night, but couldn't find it. Has anybody found any other easter eggs in the demo?

If anyone has the intention to post the location of the skull, please use spoilers. I haven't found, or even looked for it yet.

VonGak! said:

I consider it would be more realistic and less funny. I prefer fun over realism.

Why just people don't stop complaining about scripting? Everything CAN NOT be AI driven. A videogame is an script itself, and fine tuning the timing of the spawning enemies is necessary to make a shooter enjoyable. If the enemies had a perfect AI we would die in a matter of a second. Do you feel soooo "Ramboes" to be able to kill everybody if they behaved realistically? I definitely don't... and I'm sure neither you do.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Played the demo through four or five times now. It's pretty darn great. It's such a breath of fresh air to play a game with Tomb Raider style clambering and platforming where the controls are so responsive.

Top Bottom