• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Wollan

Okay, just finished the demo.

One of the first thoughts I got was that I had to quit NeoGAF.
Some of you few select folks, it's fucking depressing. Just quit this hobby of yours.

The game: It's gold. Pure gold.
Actually, it's much better than I thought.

Any worry is completely washed away.

I was semi annoyed yesterday when people who could play it didn't post indepth impressions.
But I'm with you now. This is too much. Overwhelming game.

Loudninja

Wollan said:

Some of you few select folks, it's fucking depressing. Just quit this hobby of yours.

I was semi annoyed yesterday when people who could play it didn't post indepth impressions.

Glad you enjoy it dude :D

Deep where in the fuck are you?

Wollan said:

posting impression are hard, it is much easier to post situations you were into.

I mean, someone just saying "yeah, so I walked around, I shot someone, I climbed some stuff, then it ended" doesnt portray how awesome some moments are.

scoobs

Hooray for Naughty dog, good work!

1194664330560.gif

Speevy said:
I kicked open a gate and the game froze. Anyone else had this happen?

A few people have had similar problems but IIRC with one of the guys the problem was actually more widespread than just this demo. If it keeps happening I guess just try redownloading it.

I've played through it a dozen times and had no problems, same as many here so I don't think the demo is broken. Who knows though, get your ass over to the Sony boards and bitch about it and ND will have a fix for you in a couple of hours.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Enjoy the demo European GAF brethern! :-D
Really nice how they fixed it so quickly and posted updated version (imagine if this was a disc based demo!)

Kittonwy

Banned
Wollan said:

Uncharted is afw.
Indifferent2.gif

Dizzan

MINI Member
Hey ND, if any of you guys read this, THANK YOU!

I never actually complained about the situation as I understand that things cant always go your way in life (unlike some whining bitches that believe they deserve the world).

Anyway the game is beautiful. Also very linear, but the beauty more than makes up for the linearity.

It's also quite hard I thought. A LOT of gunplay. Which is cool but I hope to see more platforming/puzzles in the rest of the game (or the sequel). The brawling was cool. Ran out of ammo with three pirates left and kicked the shit out of them. Nice touch.

Cutscenes great and it's the first time I expect the story to deliver (Opening scene sucked me right in). Really well written. Witty dialogue and already a twist
Looking for fortune and NOW have to find El.
Yeah I called her El. Can't wait for it.

Animations are real nice. Transitions aren't bad but not the greatness I was hoping for.

Anyway, I have already preordered and paid this bad boy but it was nice to get some hands on with it.

Good Job ND.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
whoa. I finally beat the demo. Awesome. Not good with shooters, but wow it was cool.

ND really out done themselves. This is looks to be a good franchise. The demo had that Indiana Jones feel of exploration and danger to it I think I will certainly pick this game up. Playing this demo makes me want to break out my Indiana Jones movies.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Here's my impressions from the other thread.

Hey ND, if any of you guys read this, THANK YOU!

I never actually complained about the situation as I understand that things cant always go your way in life (unlike some whining bitches that believe they deserve the world).

Anyway the game is beautiful. Also very linear, but the beauty more than makes up for the linearity.

It's also quite hard I thought. A LOT of gunplay. Which is cool but I hope to see more platforming/puzzles in the rest of the game (or the sequel). The brawling was cool. Ran out of ammo with three pirates left and kicked the shit out of them. Nice touch.

Cutscenes great and it's the first time I expect the story to deliver (Opening scene sucked me right in). Really well written. Witty dialogue and already a twist Looking for fortune and NOW have to find El. Yeah I called her El. Can't wait for it.

Animations are real nice. Transitions aren't bad but not the greatness I was hoping for.

Anyway, I have already preordered and paid this bad boy but it was nice to get some hands on with it.

Good Job ND.

calder

Glad to see non-NA people get to play the demo now, and very glad to see how upfront and responsive ND are/were about the issue. :)

I've played through it 4 or 5 times now. Can. Not. Wait for the game. :D Kinda like the Bioshock demo I don't want to burn it out, but I still want to jump in and try it again. One lame thing is that I still haven't gotten the hang of melee attacks, I have to mash square because I just can't get the combos to save my life. When should I be trying to time triangle? Right after I push square, when the blow lands on teh guy, what?

Agh, how to punch people? I suck at it. I run up to a guy and punch him, then he punches back and I get scared and run away. :(

Just need to learn the timing I guess. I did this kickass combo once where the enemy blocked a kick by grabbing ahold of Nathan's left leg and he just kicked him in the head with the right. Even though I have no idea what I'm doing I'm still managing to bust out some groovy moves occasionally.

Punching, kicking and smacking people into walls is great fun.

And I really didn't expect the AI to be as good as it is. Totally crazy those people are, running around, taking cover, dodging, getting shot in the face for being so darn unpredictable.

Also, standing on corpses is cool. Is this the first game ever where you can do that? Corpsestanding FTW.

The only thing I have to complain about so far is that the explosions look weak. And I guess the deadzone is a bit large, but I'm getting used to it.

Wollan

The AI is quite different than I was expecting (before all the impressions yesterday).

I was expecting RE4/Medal of Honor type behavior where it's very pre-set or ultra simple but that isn't the case at all. It's really adaptable and it's probably the most impressive I've seen for a third person game. A very nice surprise, same with game difficulty.

Loudninja

Wollan said:
The AI is quite different than I was expecting (before all the impressions yesterday).

I was expecting RE4/Medal of Honor type behavior where it's very pre-set or ultra simple but that isn't the case at all. It's really adaptable and it's probably the most impressive I've seen for a third person game. A very nice surprise, same with game difficulty.

Speaking of RE4m the foes in that agme cannot dodge worth shit :lol

Bebpo

Banned
Played the demo two times in a row.

+Graphically it looks fantastic. Absolutely no complaints only praises for how alive the jungle feels. Great lighting, great animation, great character models.

+Platforming feels pretty good. It's fast and feels good.
-Platforming controls feel a little slippery/unprecise. Like in that last section the first time I overjumped the last platform because the game doesn't give you a good idea of your jump distances. Also it's easy to 'slip' off a platform when running around on it. I have a feeling I'll be redoing a lot of jumps.
+/-Hopefully the game is more open platforming like Jak. The platforming in the demo was very linear and just "go exactly this way". Would be nice if rooms had multiple ways to climb an area like SoTC.

+Gunplay is pretty good. Very intense and I think rumble will only make it better. All the weapons feel good.
+Enemy AI is ridiculously smart. They'll do a running duck if you shoot at their head, hide under cover, run at you to attack if you're under cover, toss grenades. Use team tactics to flank you.
+ lack of ammo forces you to mix things up and not camp.
-Grenades are kind of hard to aim on the fly when you have like 1 second to aim & throw and no time to mess with tilting.
-Enemies have invincibility frames during their hit animations. So if you don't get a head shot you have to shoot->wait for animation to finish->shoot->wait for animation to finish->shoot. This is definitely a design choice and many games do it, but I'm not really a fan. If I unload 10 shots into a guy in 1-2 seconds I expect him to fall down.
+/-Physical attacks are interesting. They are overpowered as they instant kill, but they leave you open to take damage from others.

+Music in the difficulty select menu is really good. Should be a great soundtrack
-Drake's voice is...odd. It doesn't match the look of his character at all.
+I appreciate that he actually synchs his mouth movements to the non-cutscene in-game dialogue

Also game is tough. Even on my 2nd run I died twice in the end firefights. It's definitely tougher than Gears of War and I was trying to put together why and this is what I got: A) Enemies are far smarter and more aggressive. In Gears you just keep pumping ammo at them as they hide and run at you. B) Enemy groups in Uncharted come from all sides so you have to keep moving. It's rare that you can just find one wall and stay behind it the whole fight. In Gears you could slowly go from one wall to the next, only worrying about the enemies in front. If you do that in Uncharted you will get shot from the side. C) Above-mentioned invincibility frames. Combined with points A & B, not being able to down guys really quickly makes fights a lot tougher since as you're shooting at one guy 3-4 times, it gives the other guys time to get behind you.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I can't get more than 4 shots into someone without them dying. It just doesn't work for me! i must be doing it wrong!

acklame

game is f'ing awesome :D

+ amazing graphics
+ fun gun play
+ crazy animation

can't wait for the full game for the complete cinematic experience.

Wollan

Y2Kev said:
I can't get more than 4 shots into someone without them dying. It just doesn't work for me! i must be doing it wrong!
Yeah. Good impressions by Bebpo there but that part made me scratch my head.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Y2Kev said:
lol, QFT

i seriously dont get where that complaint is coming from

Bebpo

Banned
Wollan said:
Yeah. Good impressions by Bebpo there but that part made me scratch my head.

If I shoot someone with a pistol in the chest, and while they're twirling around in their hit animation I keep shooting them it doesn't seem to hurt them most of the time for me. Takes me an entire clip with a pistol to take out a guy or two. If I keep shooting with no pauses.

Maybe I just need to aim better. Forgot to mention it seems like there is no auto-aim, which obviously makes it a hell of a lot harder in shooting than Gears.

Anyhow, I really liked the demo. Much more than the Ratchet demo, which makes sense as I like ND games more than Insomniac ones (not counting Resistance).

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i don't think enemies are invincible during hit animations...if you're aiming for the head, you may be missing as they flail around. that's actually an interesting wrinkle in the gunplay -- a headshot will get you an instant kill, but the hit animations make it risky to spray bullets in the general area of an enemy's head. i guess that's present in most shooters, but it's really pronounced here

edit: and yeah, the absence of any obvious auto-aim contributes to this whole thing

jet1911

Bebpo said:
If I shoot someone with a pistol in the chest, and while they're twirling around in their hit animation I keep shooting them it doesn't seem to hurt them most of the time for me. Takes me an entire clip with a pistol to take out a guy or two. If I keep shooting with no pauses.

Maybe I just need to aim better. Forgot to mention it seems like there is no auto-aim, which obviously makes it a hell of a lot harder in shooting than Gears.

I think you can turn auto aim on somewhere in the option.

Speevy

Banned
freethought said:
A few people have had similar problems but IIRC with one of the guys the problem was actually more widespread than just this demo. If it keeps happening I guess just try redownloading it.

I've played through it a dozen times and had no problems, same as many here so I don't think the demo is broken. Who knows though, get your ass over to the Sony boards and bitch about it and ND will have a fix for you in a couple of hours.

Well I've played through the demo at least 5 times and only had it happen once. I've also never had a PS3 game freeze in-game. The only other times my PS3 has ever locked up is during some video playback, or when the browser froze. But the browser thing happens to every browser, especially ones running on so little memory, and with so few features. All in all my PS3 has been amazing.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I thought the voice Drake is pretty damn good. He has that Indy/Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds/Baltheir cockiness about it.

Wollan

May quite possibly be the most expressive game character ever. And in a brilliant way.
Everything I've seen of cutscenes yet, gameplay comments, animation..etc. Spot on.

Speevy

Banned
One thing that surprised me is how well the bad guys aim, even on easy mode. I mean you're in this jungle and you can get behind cover, but as soon as you walk out in the open it seems like every single shot hits you.

Bebpo

Banned
Speevy said:
One thing that surprised me is how well the bad guys aim, even on easy mode. I mean you're in this jungle and you can get behind cover, but as soon as you walk out in the open it seems like every single shot hits you.

They get paid for shooting people. They are probably good at it.

Top Bottom