• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Dizzan

MINI Member
Loudninja said:
What you guys do not get this is suppsoe to be and action part, I mean when you get shot down, they will be looking for you

Ninja, pleeeeeeeeeeeease slow down when you type.

I know you're excited but 80% of your posts are unreadable.

acabado

Banned
deepbrown said:
I'm officially selling my PS3.

No, I'm BURNING IT. And I'm robbing Sony's bank and stealing all their money and hoping they fail.

Plus I'm not very pleased with Naughty Dog. They ave said for 2 weeks the demo will be this week, but not once did they say it's only on the US store, and neither did they say it's fucking region locked.

My money stays in my pocket.

Did you already burn it? Please say yes!!!! :D :D :D :D

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
iapetus said:
The root of the problem is that Sony have made the decision to have completely regionalised stores rather than running things globally - something which Microsoft have already demonstrated can work well. The fact that this sort of issue can exist is Sony's fault, and not something ND can do anything about.
No, the root of the problem is that the game is fundamentally designed around region specific encoding, for the sake of personalizing the experience to as many people as possible. That has the knock-on effect of increasing the complexity of general coding/design of the game and testing, *significantly*. It really has nothing to do with the PS Store being regionalized, because if ND had just said, FU, we're American and this game will be made with English speakers in mind only, they could have put it up on any region's PS Store and it would have made absolutely no difference.

I'm not really sure what your point is with MS - 360's Marketplace is regionalized too, last I checked. And they've had a few situations with significant bugs that went up with demos that had to be pulled down causing the demos to be pulled down temporarily.

Mrbob

I cranked up the sensitivity and the gunplay is feeling much better now. Getting pretty good at hitting head shots as well. Enjoying the game more and more as I play through it and start to learn the nuances in the control.

Actually their aim is "horrible"... the only shot that hits you is the one that finally kills you. Everything else is just your luck running out.

YYZ

man I just wanted to say, as someone who isn't good at console FPS, this game makes it so easy to switch weapons, aim, choosing different spots to aim, etc... the controls for aiming and shooting are perfectly put together. I still don't like using the analog to adjust the reticule though, I often under/overshoot and miss easy headshots. On a PC, they would be headshot every time. Following a moving target with the right analog still sucks, but it's not really Naughty Dog's fault.

IGN's also posted a spoiler-heavy article on the first 4 chapters of the game, including downloadable movies of the cutscenes. I'm not even gonna put the link here to help people resist temptation. :D

FoeHammer

I liked everything about the demo except for the screen tearing (as mentioned before). I had a headache by the time I finished.

I usually don't notice it in most games, but it was pretty jarring here. I really hope this is fixed or improved upon in the final version because I really liked the game. I would hate to pass up on Uncharted because of something stupid like screen tearing.

This demo actually killed the hype I had for this game. It had great graphics but as much as a wanted to like it, I just wasn't having fun playing it. I loved Jak&Daxter, but didn't care for Jak2 or Jak3. I guess i'm just not a fan of Naughty Dog anymore?

I played Super Mario Galaxy and Call of Duty 4 right before trying the Uncharted demo. Uncharted has platforming and shooting, but SMG has better platforming and CoD4 has better shooting... So maybe Uncharted just didn't seem to work well for me since I had just played a game that was pure platformer and one that was a pure shooter.

Snah

Banned
I seriously cannot stop playing this demo. I must have gone through it about 10 times now. Each time I'm getting a bit more aggressive, a bit better with the gunplay, etc.

The game is sick. I can't wait until I can pick this title up.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Just played through it AGAIN.

I got through it without dying this time. I am understanding the melee system now. It's not like Heavenly Sword where you should watch the animations and then attack...you have to key it all in asap.

anddo0

I just tried playing on "hard' and its pretty damn difficult. It seems they become more aggressive with their flanking. The dudes with the shotguns charge at you instead of hanging back.

I died a few times while attempting melee attacks. I'd beat up one dude another one would sneak up behind me with a shotty to the back:lol

The AI in this game is ACE!

Speevy

Banned
Want to have some fun?

Try running in without aiming with a shotgun. See how many you can kill before you're taken down.

Loudninja

uncharted-drakes-fortune-2007110902.jpg

GeoramA

I can play this demo over and over again as well. Although it's kinda linear, it seems different every playthrough. It's genius. Yeah...I think I'll play through on hard again.

madmook

Whoa had my first experience with the controller "spacing out." I was aiming my gun and trying to get a bead on a baddie when the aim starts going right and won't respond to any button pushes. It stopped after like 5 secs and didn't happen again. Bluetooth fucking sucks.

Anyways, finally finished this short-as-heck demo and I can't wait to get the real thing. Those baddies sure don't like to stand still and let me shoot them... which just makes me mad and makes it all the more satisfying when I DO pump them full of lead. :lol

Speevy said:
Want to have some fun?

Try running in without aiming with a shotgun. See how many you can kill before you're taken down.

I played the demo once without aiming, only blind fire and run and gun, it worked out pretty good.

G-Bus

Banned
Think I've finally got the hand to hand combat dialed. it's only taken me a half dozen runs threw the demo and countless deaths.

Nothing more rewarding than jumping on someones back and snapping there neck. One guy I put in a sleeper and choked him out, or so it looked. So fuckin sweet.

dralla

is there any way to get to the skull? I can see it but can't get up on the ledge it's on. and what exactly do they do? are they for unlockables? [in the final game]

So yeah glad they fixed it so I could try it out.

Definitely going to pick this up once my backlog clears a little bit. Already ordered Mass effect and mario so I will probably pick it up after those.

My first time through was pretty rough, but I dialed the controls to what I like and went through the second time without a death(except one fall).

The melee stuff feels great and I took like half the guys out this last time with the stealth kills.

Great great stuff.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Loudninja said:

Whoa what? Explain.

Btw, who would've thought that the Uncharted demo thread would have more posts than the official Mass Effect thread? Hype +10.

Hey guys,
I was working hard on making a really cool official Uncharted thread but I went on vacation and figured I would have enough time to post it once I got back but Steve got the drop on it first. I am just posting what I had finished cause I planned to launch the whole thing this Monday. I think from a information point of view you did a fine job Steve but the graphic representation is really bland for what this game deserves. Feel free to use any of the images for the front page to give the game the recognition it has earned on these boards.

87jdd6r.jpg

86fggtv.jpg

7y6bjti.jpg

I died when playing it on normal, yet playing it now on hard I pretty much cruised by the demo. I think im gonna be playing it on hard when I get the full game, im playing the demo for the 5th time and it is still amazing.

Defuser said:
Anybody gonna attempt a melee only run through?
i dont think i could make it unless i waited forever for each one to come to a corner. Plus, Holy Shit at early release? I dont think I'll even have the extra money until two weeks.

Sho Nuff

Banned
I wish there was less emphasis on the gunplay, because the more I play it the less I enjoy the gunfights. I was playing Logan's Shadow on the train this morning and was trying to figure out why that style of stop-and-pop felt more solid. I think it's chunkier gun sounds combined with easier aiming but I'm not sure; aiming Drake just seems kind of fiddly, even when I doof around with sensitivity settings. I think it has more potential as a platformer (thanks to its animation engine) than a shooter.

BTW, I wish more games supported DTS 5.1, it's so rare to see this while playing a game:

6ujuuts.jpg

Grayman

Defuser said:
crossing the log in the first firefight would be difficult. I am not sure if the guy up top would let you climb the vine to him if you had cleared the other 2.

Chrono

Banned
^Is that the JVC Dolby Headphone processor?

I'm thinking about getting one, there doesn't seem to be many options to get Dolby Headphone anyway. Can't find a receiver with one and the only adapters like that are packed in with wireless headphones. Does it only work with Dobly 5.1 signals? I guess that's the definition of Dolby Headphone, stupid question... Was just wondering if you can get surround out of an X-FI PC sound card pushing out a 5.1, they have their own headphone surround tech but I doubt it's as good as Dolby's.

Sorry for the thread derail, uh, UNCHARTED IS AWESOME. :D

Rolf NB

Y2Kev said:
I can't get more than 4 shots into someone without them dying. It just doesn't work for me! i must be doing it wrong!
No, it's a pretty obvious misunderstanding actually:
If they don't die, you didn't really hit them!

Enemies duck and avoid shots. This is not the same thing as "flinching", which is apparently the technical term for a post-hit animation. I have seen it in wide use today, but that's not what's going on. Yes, these animations are a reaction to your shots, but that doesn't imply that you hit them.

So with that out of the way ...
*pushes that out of the way*
... let me just stay once again for great justice that I'm sold. I'll be there when this glorious foreign product hits my backwater country. I'll be there.

Defuser said:

I attempted it past the obvious points where you need to use a gun, and it is way too hard unless you can get a guy down in one hit every single time.

you still get shot at even in the melee animations.

Dante

Sho Nuff said:
I wish there was less emphasis on the gunplay, because the more I play it the less I enjoy the gunfights. I was playing Logan's Shadow on the train this morning and was trying to figure out why that style of stop-and-pop felt more solid. I think it's chunkier gun sounds combined with easier aiming but I'm not sure; aiming Drake just seems kind of fiddly, even when I doof around with sensitivity settings. I think it has more potential as a platformer (thanks to its animation engine) than a shooter.

BTW, I wish more games supported DTS 5.1, it's so rare to see this while playing a game:

Eww Logan's shadow actually lets you set your aiming reticule from behind cover, which is one of my pet peeves with that game.

Somebody already completed it with melee only a few pages back.

Elbrain said:
If anyone wants to see troll fest 2000 on this demo go to the Uncharted demo on the 1up board I went there to see what they thought of this game and I came of of there with wanting to put a bullet to my self with the nonsense they come out with BULLET I TELL YOU!

your first mistake, I like 1ups content, but their board is pretty much the same as gamefaqs.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
If anyone wants to see troll fest 2000 on this demo go to the Uncharted demo on the 1up board I went there to see what they thought of this game and I came of of there with wanting to put a bullet to my self with the nonsense they come out with BULLET I TELL YOU!

Top Bottom