• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Sho Nuff

Banned
Chrono said:
^Is that the JVC Dolby Headphone processor?

I'm thinking about getting one, there doesn't seem to be many options to get Dolby Headphone anyway. Can't find a receiver with one and the only adapters like that are packed in with wireless headphones. Does it only work with Dobly 5.1 signals? I guess that's the definition of Dolby Headphone, stupid question... Was just wondering if you can get surround out of an X-FI PC sound card pushing out a 5.1, they have their own headphone surround tech but I doubt it's as good as Dolby's.

It works with any optical out (but you need to go to optical mini (round plug) from optical (square plug). The adapter is like 2 bucks. Also, the US release of the processor sucks because there's no way to plug in an AC adapter, only Japan has that feature. So retarded. :( I blab about it here.

Rolf NB

Elbrain said:
If anyone wants to see troll fest 2000 on this demo go to the Uncharted demo on the 1up board I went there to see what they thought of this game and I came of of there with wanting to put a bullet to my self with the nonsense they come out with BULLET I TELL YOU!
Sure, what did you expect? If I wanted to get maximum mileage out of a bullshit hit-squad, I'd deploy them as near as possible to people working in the media as well.

Tieno

I'm sorry but I don't have the time to go back the pages as I want to play as fast as possible, how do you get the demo working on PAL system? Just download it from a US account?

kay

Tieno said:
I'm sorry but I don't have the time to go back the pages as I want to play as fast as possible, how do you get the demo working on PAL system?
There is a new download, I think the old one is gone.

Forsete

Steroyd said:
OMG OMG OMG WHY DIDN'T I WAKE UP EARLIER!?

Up yours region lock believers ahuahuahua.

Hehe, I was in the bathroom trying to access GAF on my mobile phone to see if there had been any development, the service was down so I had to haxx another provider.. Then I saw the thread title (demo now works on non-US systems) and I was like holy mother of.. why the fuck didnt I bring my PSP with me, remote download ftw!

I jumped in the shower and did a shower-toothbrush combo, very fast. :D

quetz67

Banned
dralla said:
You do know ND is a branch of Sony?
yeah but usually Sony are very strict about new content on the PSN...and quick changes can easily produce some unforseen problems, so I am surprised they allowed to change this with little to no playtesting

quetz67

Banned
Sho Nuff said:
BTW, I wish more games supported DTS 5.1, it's so rare to see this while playing a game:

6ujuuts.jpg
Sho Nuff, could you please post some impressions for that nice little gadget ?!

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Just played through the demo again. I seriously love everything about this game, and we've barely scratched the surface.

Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but zero loading time is a beautiful thing.

Surfheart

Just finished downloading and playing and this game is stunning.
So nice to have a game live up to and even exceed the hype after a recent dissapointment.

The cover mechanic and gunplay felt really satisfying too.

Day 1 for me.

Dante

Another nice little touch is when the enemies are talking smack and you shoot them, they don't finish their audio queue, it ends, and a grunt soundbyte kicks in.

quetz67

Banned
Sho Nuff said:
I wrote a lot about my setup here. BTW, Kojima Productions was using the same device to demo MGS4 at Tokyo Game Show this year.
awesome! thanks!

I understand it has only optical in, so for PC I need a soundcard with that connector, right?!?

TONX said:
Just played through the demo again. I seriously love everything about this game, and we've barely scratched the surface.

Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but zero loading time is a beautiful thing.

the best thing...very important for immersion

Tieno

Played it. It looks incredible, the image quality is so clear and smooth, didn't notice any jaggies or graphical defects. Incredibly cosistent, which goes a long way. So much so that the transition from cutscene to in-game almost doesn't get noticed.
I like it a lot, great atmosphere (music and forest sounds). Almost want them to make a Lost game.

I like the shooting more than the platforming which where most of my problems are. It's pretty hard to do finer movements when you're on a pillar for example, sometimes I'd drop off because Drake would go in an animation I didn't want him to go and he wouldn't latch on like in most other platformers.
Shooting is pretty good, first thing I did was max out the sensitivity. Plays very smooth, but still have to get the hang of the melee combat timing.

El-Suave

Just imgagine adding rumble into the mix. That'll enhance immersion even more. This game is reason enough to import a Dualshock 3.

Snah

Banned
Has anyone else noticed that if you try and skip the intro cut scene...the game loads INSTANTLY????

How the hell is this possible?

quetz67

Banned
Snah said:
Has anyone else noticed that if you try and skip the intro cut scene...the game loads INSTANTLY????

loading most stuff during startup already...just one explanation

M3wThr33

Banned
Reminds me a lot of Miami Vice, which is a good thing. What's hard to get used to is that you have to kill all the enemies. It just seems like it artificially extends the game time by having multiple waves.

Otherwise, it's beautiful and I can't wait to see the next Jak game.

Steroyd

Snah said:

Heavenly sword does that, it's to hide loading a double edged sword though.

llTll

Banned
Forsete said:
Hehe, I was in the bathroom trying to access GAF on my mobile phone to see if there had been any development, the service was down so I had to haxx another provider.. Then I saw the thread title (demo now works on non-US systems) and I was like holy mother of.. why the fuck didnt I bring my PSP with me, remote download ftw!

I jumped in the shower and did a shower-toothbrush combo, very fast. :D
:lol :lol and here i thought i am the only one on earth who do that. i use this phone

i-mate_jasjam.jpg
:D

Brashnir

Snah said:

Obviously, the game already has everything you can see and can do at the beginning of the game loaded while the cutscene is playing. Since you can only go in one direction, it's probably using the RAM that would have been used to store the area behind you in memory for running the video.

This might actually be the reason they went with video cutscenes instead of running them realtime - to cut down on load times.

Snah

Banned
Steroyd said:
Heavenly sword does that, it's to hide loading a double edged sword though.

No, heavenly sword actually makes you WAIT after you skip the cutscene....there is no waiting for loading in Uncharted.

Tieno

Brashnir said:
Obviously, the game already has everything you can see and can do at the beginning of the game loaded while the cutscene is playing. Since you can only go in one direction, it's probably using the RAM that would have been used to store the area behind you in memory for running the video.

This might actually be the reason they went with video cutscenes instead of running them realtime - to cut down on load times.
It's also hard to do fast cuts to different environments with in-engine cutscenes. Since blu-ray offers them a lot of storage the video cutscenes can have a very high bitrate so you don't get compression artifacts (which is my only problem with recorded cutscenes anyway).

Snah

Banned
Brashnir said:

No....I'm saying try skipping the intro video when it first starts: THERE IS NO LOADING! It's instant.

It just surprised me a bit. Only explanation I have is that it loads during the title screen.

quetz67

Banned
Snah said:
No, heavenly sword actually makes you WAIT after you skip the cutscene....there is no waiting for loading in Uncharted.
skipping cutscenes in HS? how?

Snah said:
I was thinking this myself, but I don't know - doesn't make sense to do that just for a demo...
you dont make much sense, if they do it in the full game, they can easily have it in the demo too

Brashnir

Snah said:
No....I'm saying try skipping the intro video when it first starts: THERE IS NO LOADING! It's instant.

It just surprised me a bit. Only explanation I have is that it loads during the title screen.

Yes, I was insinuating that it had already loaded the first area before the cutscene even started. Sorry if there was any confusion. It's a nice touch. I like when developers go the extra mile on stuff like that. It wouldn't be horrible to sit through a short load there, but it's better when it jumps right into the game.

Snah

Banned
quetz67 said:
skipping cutscenes in HS? how?

you dont make much sense, if they do it in the full game, they can easily have it in the demo too

Yeah, you can "skip" the cutscenes in HS...but you get a loading screen. :lol So it doesn't make much sense to do so.

jiggle

The demo is stored on a Harddrive. I'm sure that helped alot :p (although that didn't help HS's loading when CS was skipped...hmmm...)

Tieno

jiggle said:
The demo is stored on a Harddrive. I'm sure that helped alot :p (although that didn't help HS's loading when CS was skipped...hmmm...)
It helps, but it still gives a general impression that Uncharted will have good streaming. For all we know ND lets us/forces us to install 2GB, just like Heavenly Sword.

Dante

jiggle said:

True but ND said the final game will have NO load times at all.

nny

I just got up and it's fixed already? Oh great way to start the day, I was getting so frustrated reading this thread and not being able to play.

Forsete

Wow.. Thats all I can say.

I love the gun play, the platforming seems even better from what I can tell. My GOTY for sure.

The graphics made me want to cry. :lol

BatmanX

Blablurn said:
wow, the german audio ist terrible :)

i need to play this game in english when it's out.

Same here for the italian.
Heavenly sword had a very good dubbing, but with drake I'll go for english audio for sure.

Top Bottom