• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

BatmanX said:
Same here for the italian.
Heavenly sword had a very good dubbing, but with drake I'll go for english audio for sure.

Dont listen to the french either... I tried it and they got the volume all wrong and everything... he was screaming 'merde' at me and it drowned out the gun shots

Pachimari

Loudninja said:
I don't know yet. There were unforgiving technical bugs. Anyway, I'm impressed with the AI and locations were raw hot and I never really got lost because of the help the game gave me. Puzzles were fantastic, though really easy. If you people turn off the hints to start with, it will last longer for you, because sometimes you will get lost. So to conclude, it could be a 7, 8 or 9 in score - but it doesn't really matter right now.

quetz67 said:
Where do you live exactly?
Denmark sir.

Tideas

Banned
Ok, so I just played the demo on normal, and I'm gonna go ahead and responded to all the people who were bitching about it earlier. ARE WE PLAYING THE SAME GAME?!

I think either these ppl are trolls, or have an unreasonable amount of expectation for a frigign demo.

1) Why no puzzle?

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and assume that any puzzle this game gives, is gonna spoil the story. So ND did the easiest route, which was give a portion of the demo that won't contain any spoiler.

2) Graphics being underwhelming.

Are you kidding me? This game is a beast. Oh man, I had to stop playing for a bit because it was so damn pretty

3) Graphic tearings

Didn't see it happen to me

4) Too shootery

Too shootery compare to what? Remember, it's the fans that try to compare this to Tomb Raider, not the developer. I like the action of the game. Combat takes a bit to get used to, but man are the enemies smart. They actually know how to friging use a nade to get you out of your foxhole.

5) Too short?

Um..it's a demo...what'd u expect?

Seriously, I think some of you guys are setting yourself up for a huge letdown by having too much expectations of what this game is and isn't.

From my initial play through, I don't think I'll be able to score this a 20, just...base on some stuff I've noticed and might not like if I was to finish this game.

Still, might be the first game to get an 18 or a 19 :)

Tideas

Banned
I really wish I have the review's code of thsi game so that I can review it and have it out by launch day instead of like, having it 3-4 weeks after launch :(

Pachimari

Tideas said:
I really wish I have the review's code of thsi game so that I can review it and have it out by launch day instead of like, having it 3-4 weeks after launch :(
Even though our website is danish (scandinavian), we'll have the review out before the american launch even. Oh, my favorite levels must be chapter 2 with the whole platforming, jetski level and another cool level I won't talk about.
Oh, the game doesn't have any loadtimes but there will be a black screen here and there. You can toggle subtitles on and off in cutscenes, even pause them and skip them.

BatmanX

Tideas said:
5) Too short?

Maybe too short to judge :) (just like the heavenly sword one).
Btw, I liked this demo and all, gfx are top notch, tearing don't bother me as I feared, characters are well done....BUT its just me or drake didn't give you an immersive feeling like, to say, Resident Evil 4? I'm gonna try it another time but I was expecting to have more fun with it, still gonna buy it first day I think but if Anastacio is right and the final game is really balanced more on shooting I don't think that I'm gonna get blowed away.

Just had my first quick try of the demo(yay for making it work on PAL consoles). And...

THIS GAME IS A GODSEND

Gameplay is way better than i thought with all the bitching about it being boring/floaty/whatever. It just feels perfect to me and the setting/graphcis/music is absolutely amazing. Story is kind of nonexistant in the demo but the mood is perfect.

The Indiana Jones/Tomb Raider/Adventure Novel format is the best thing ever.

I'm becoming a total Insomniac/Naughty Dog addict, they can't seem to release a bad game it seems and they keep getting better too.

<3 Uncharted, Resistance, Ratchet & Clank

Pachimari

jakershaker said:
Just had my first quick try of the demo(yay for making it work on PAL consoles). And...

THIS GAME IS A GODSEND

Gameplay is way better than i thought with all the bitching about it being boring/floaty/whatever. It just feels perfect to me and the setting/graphcis/music is absolutely amazing. Story is kind of nonexistant in the demo but the mood is perfect.

The Indiana Jones/Tomb Raider/Adventure Novel format is the best thing ever.

I'm becoming a total Insomniac/Naughty Dog addict, they can't seem to release a bad game it seems and they keep getting better too.

<3 Uncharted, Resistance, Ratchet & Clank
Well, it happened, Drake did float without even moving his legs in the final game.. so I could actually hover him around the stage, there's bugs (one is even worse) but all of those are very rare. =/ The prettiest game I have ever played? you bet. Goty? Not so sure anymore but I do really really like this game.

Oh, I think it was illegal of PS3fan.dk to publish their review as other websites are not allowed before a surden date. In my head, that questions if they even have the game.
I almost forgot, that it took me around 9 hours completing the game on 'Normal' (and I have to admit now, that firefights aren't easy) and keep in mind that the four first chapters were rushed as I already completed those in the beta.

Steroyd

Started on easy to get the jist of it, played it on normal, and it flows beautifully, for jumping from cover to cover the "oh fuck" moments when the screen goes grey and you're frantically looking for cover. :)

The enemies seem to dodge bullets ala RE4, but more frequent, so awesome when I finally pulled off the two footed face kick. :D

Now I just need to save the pennies till next month.

Tideas

Banned
BatmanX said:
Maybe too short to judge :) (just like the heavenly sword one).
Btw, I liked this demo and all, gfx are top notch, tearing don't bother me as I feared, characters are well done....BUT its just me or drake didn't give you an immersive feeling like, to say, Resident Evil 4? I'm gonna try it another time but I was expecting to have more fun with it, still gonna buy it first day I think but if Anastacio is right and the final game is really balanced more on shooting I don't think that I'm gonna get blowed away.

i don't really think you can take a 30 minute demo and come to that conclusion. of course, you can try, but you'll only be kidding yourself.

Like I said, if ppl go into this game without having some unrealistic expectations (tomb raider but with a guy) then they'll be fine. But if they expect too much, I'm gonna guarantee much disappointment

Tideas

Banned
Anastacio said:
Even though our website is danish (scandinavian), we'll have the review out before the american launch even. Oh, my favorite levels must be chapter 2 with the whole platforming, jetski level and another cool level I won't talk about.
Oh, the game doesn't have any loadtimes but there will be a black screen here and there. You can toggle subtitles on and off in cutscenes, even pause them and skip them.

even you guys got the review's code? I am gonna cry now! :(

BatmanX

Tideas said:
i don't really think you can take a 30 minute demo and come to that conclusion. of course, you can try, but you'll only be kidding yourself.

Like I said, if ppl go into this game without having some unrealistic expectations (tomb raider but with a guy) then they'll be fine. But if they expect too much, I'm gonna guarantee much disappointment

I'm not expecting too much. I'm not one of those guys who say "let's wait for the real first AAA game for ps3" and stuff like that 'cause I have my GREAT time with resistancein first place and even heavenly sword. I'm only saying that judging from this demo which is entirely focused on shooting, that don't give me the same feedback of something like resident evil4. Not saying that is bad really, I'm already sold like the great majorance here

Pachimari

robertsan21 said:
I really dont understand people who have anything bad to say about this game.
I don't understand them either, just accept their opinions. Uncharted won't appeal to everyone and if they don't like the shooting in the demo, then I'm "sad" to report, that the final game is about 85% shooting, and yea, there are big technical bugs but they are very rare. If you don't think Uncharted is the next godlike game, then you'll be fine, as it really is a d*mn great game but I myself did expect a little more from the creative heads at Naughty Dog.

Tideas

Banned
BatmanX said:
I'm not expecting too much. I'm not one of those guys who say "let's wait for the real first AAA game for ps3" and stuff like that 'cause I have my GREAT time with resistancein first place and even heavenly sword. I'm only saying that judging from this demo which is entirely focused on shooting, that don't give me the same feedback of something like resident evil4. Not saying that is bad really, I'm already sold like the great majorance here

from my playtime with RE4...that game was 90% shooting...

Dizzan

MINI Member
Pulled off the Drake Break (the neck break move). AFW! I tried to brawl as much as possible.

Another crazy moment was in the second gate area. Two guys were coming at me and I was aiming at the first guys head. When I shot they both ducked simultaneously. Very cool.

It's the perfect demo length. It gives you a sense of the story and gameplay and definately keeps me wanting more.

BatmanX

Tideas said:
from my playtime with RE4...that game was 90% shooting...

I know it :D its just that the shooting in re4 was more engaging for me. But hey, I'm comparing it with one of the three best games of the last 5 years

Tideas

Banned
BatmanX said:
I know it :D its just that the shooting in re4 was more engaging for me. But hey, I'm comparing it with one of the three best games of the last 5 years

err, comparing the demo and RE4, there's like no difference in the way they shoot. I think youre trying to compare a game that's trying to scare you with shades of darknesses and gloom with another game that's bright and colorful.

Like I said, wrong expectation ;)

Pachimari

Tideas said:
err, comparing the demo and RE4, there's like no difference in the way they shoot. I think youre trying to compare a game that's trying to scare you with shades of darknesses and gloom with another game that's bright and colorful.

Like I said, wrong expectation ;)
Really? :D

Graphics best i have seen so far, Yes better than Gears!

controlling the character and shooting: really good! its fun when the aiming has to be precise like that for the bullet to hit!

I really want this game !!!!

Steroyd

Did anyone notice after you complete the demo at the bottom it says it's published by SCEE inc? o_O

or does that only pop up on my PAL system?

G-Bus

Banned
Anastacio said:
I don't understand them either, just accept their opinions. Uncharted won't appeal to everyone and if they don't like the shooting in the demo, then I'm "sad" to report, that the final game is about 85% shooting, and yea, there are big technical bugs but they are very rare. If you don't think Uncharted is the next godlike game, then you'll be fine, as it really is a d*mn great game but I myself did expect a little more from the creative heads at Naughty Dog.

Could you possibly elaborate on that? you've got me all curious now.

BatmanX

robertsan21 said:
Graphics best i have seen so far, Yes better than Gears!

controlling the character and shooting: really good! its fun when the aiming has to be precise like that for the bullet to hit!

I really want this game !!!!

Yeah I second that. Its very rewarding and the controls is really near perfect (better than gears where I used to be stucked here and there)

Raist

Banned
HOLY SHIT THEY FIXED IT THAT'S AWESOME !!!

I really, really didn't expect this. Thumbs up to Naughty Dogs <3

We’re really sorry about what happened and didn’t anticipate this at all. We just didn’t know people from other territories could connect to the US PLAYSTATION Network Store and download demos … now we do! We’ve been too busy working on the game to wrap our head’s around the infrastructure of the PSN.

Huh ? We = ND, or Sony ?

I really can't imagine Sony didn't know people could connect to any store.

Anyway, that's awesome. DL'ing right now :D

Brashnir

Raist said:
HOLY SHIT THEY FIXED IT THAT'S AWESOME !!!

I really, really didn't expect this. Thumbs up to Naughty Dogs <3

Huh ? We = ND, or Sony ?

I really can't imagine Sony didn't know people could connect to any store.

Anyway, that's awesome. DL'ing right now :D

"We" probably means the guy(s) who prepped the demo build, I wouldn't go so far as to implicate all of ND, and definitely not all of Sony.

sinnergy

First game after buying a PS3 (with Motorstorm and RR7, only games I got also, and I didn't like R&C demo) which I want to buy. Great demo imo.

But it does has screen tearing, some minor framerate drops and geometry pop in. Hope this get's fixed.

ND did a great job, the only real killer app this year for PS3 imo.

wazoo

Brashnir said:
"We" probably means the guy(s) who prepped the demo build, I wouldn't go so far as to implicate all of ND, and definitely not all of Sony.

I heard KAz Hirai was hard at work looking at the SPE code.

reminder

Blablurn said:
wow, the german audio ist terrible :)

i need to play this game in english when it's out.

What is so terrible about it? I think it's really good.

Awesome Demo, thanks for the update Naughty Dog! :D

Pachimari

G-Bus said:
Could you possibly elaborate on that? you've got me all curious now.
I'm not sure I am allowed to speak about all these things sorry.

sinnergy said:
First game after buying a PS3 (with Motorstorm and RR7, only games I got also, and I didn't like R&C demo) which I want to buy. Great demo imo.

But it does has screen tearing, some minor framerate drops and geometry pop in. Hope this get's fixed.

ND did a great job, the only real killer app this year for PS3 imo.
I didn't notice any screen tearing or framedrops but I'm not a guy who really notice such things ever. Though, I can confirm pop-in is in the final version.

Played the demo, wasn't so impressed by it. I'm still planing on purchasing the game though. The fighting to me seemed kind of odd, and I was hoping for more platforming stuff (I'm guessing there was a bigger focus on shooting in the demo to get more people interested in the game).

Pewp

Anastacio said:
I'm not sure I am allowed to speak about all these things sorry.

I didn't notice any screen tearing or framedrops but I'm not a guy who really notice such things ever. Though, I can confirm pop-in is in the final version.

If you hold on the right stick and let the camera spin around it tears a bit. Who really does that anyway?

gogogow

Just finished the demo on normal.
I had great fun.

Headshots are so satisfying, because the movements of the enemies are so
unpredictable in this game.

I have only one minor complaint.
The R3 button to centre the camera is a little buggy.
When you press the button it will first spin to the right then quickly to the left.
Like it doesn't know in which way the camera wants to spin first.

The collision detection problems are still there, but won't detract from the experience.

There's some tearing when spinning the camera around like a lunatic, but it really doesn't tear that much at all, noticeable, but again does not detract from the gameplay.

After playing this demo. I've made up my mind.

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.
Day one.

Pachimari

dr3upmushroom said:
Played the demo, wasn't so impressed by it. I'm still planing on purchasing the game though. The fighting to me seemed kind of odd, and I was hoping for more platforming stuff (I'm guessing there was a bigger focus on shooting in the demo to get more people interested in the game).
There's more platforming in the full game, though it's 85% shooting.

Pewp said:
If you hold on the right stick and let the camera spin around it tears a bit. Who really does that anyway?
I do. But the only game I have noticed screen tearing, was in Heavenly Sword.

Lince

Banned
the Spanish dub is plain amazing it seems like a movie !!!!!! and holy shit at the textures... there's some minor tearing here and there just for the trained-eye but I can live with that in a game so gorgeous, too bad the demo is too short to comment on the gameplay but the shooting is fun and I had no problems landing melee combos on the pirate guys, I'm loving it so far.

this made my Saturday :D

PS3 faith +1

Steroyd

This might be the first game I play on hard on my first go around.

On normal everything was enjoyable it flowed absolutely perfect from beginning to the end of the demo, and I just finished it on Hard and the extra emphasis on cover just to survive lovin it more.

Pewp

Anastacio said:
I do. But the only game I have noticed screen tearing, was in Heavenly Sword.

Sorry that came out wrong from me. I only notice screen tearing with you hold on the right stick and have the camera move around constantly.

Pachimari

Pewp said:
Sorry that came out wrong from me. I only notice screen tearing with you hold on the right stick and have the camera move around constantly.
I understood you before and answere with 'I do' hold R2 down to look around but didn't notice the tearing anyway hehe. =)

Snah

Banned
Mmmkay said:
AK47 needs some recoil. Otherwise, holy crap this game is awesome, I could spin that camera for hours.

??? there is a LOT of recoil.

also, I don't understand how the game could be classified as 85% shooting.

Traversal/Shooting aspects are almost intertwined, and yes the core gameplay mechanis ARE shooting, but the game is still exploration/platformer based too.

Wollan

kitch9 said:
Jesus, what with this, R&C and COD4, my PS3 has finally lit up man.
Fuck yeah....

Uncharted is one of those experiences that makes you question the stuff you've played on the platform before it. It's not just head and shoulders above most PS3 games technically, there's a couple of folks here standing on each others shoulders.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Mmmkay said:
AK47 needs some recoil.

Don't know if it's realistic or not, but if you fire in short bursts there's relatively little recoil..but then if you hold your finger on the trigger, the recoil seems to increase.

Anyway, from my first playthrough - woo! So good. Hmm..

Graphics - excellent. Minor nitpicks in the lack of shadowing on some ground vegetation, and the selective reaction of vegetation, but otherwise, yum yum yum. Excellent textures, excellent character modelling, excellent lighting, lovely shading on surfaces (the barrell of the AK47 stuck out for some reason), really great.

As for the gameplay..I think the shooter elements are great. Gears-esque in the cover system, which is nice. It is NOT forgiving of poor aim, which is fine. But for those saying they were emptying bullets en masse into enemies and they weren't dying, I think you simply weren't hitting them :) Didn't use the melee system much, but it seemed fine, and might prove nice for variety. I understand the sentiment expressed earlier about being weirdly reminscint of goldeneye..more particularly in the aiming system. The traversal elements were nice, I hope to see more of that in the final game. The enemies were challenging, I like their behaviours on a micro level (the 'baseball' skidding, the dropped, still live grenades, their chatter). I was surprised by them a couple of times, but I'm not the kind to wait around analysing patterns...I liked how they were rounding on me at one point, taking advantage of my initially conservative style, trying to flush me out with grenades etc. And I like how they're set up differently every playthrough (yes, I died once or twice on this first run).

The characterisation in-game is wonderful. Already like Nate, nice sense of humour. I loved how in the opening cutscene, as he was falling, he was all "crap crap crap crap crap" - and then, the nice surprise of an 'oh shit' once he came to on the ground ( I figure with all the craps it was going to be one of those games, sans cursing). Cutscene expression isn't as good as HS, but still fine (and judging by other cutscenes I've seen in videos, I think it will be better than that opener).

Love the music, especially the menu music, very very nice and filmic. Love the setting, the style generally.

Hmm..love it!!

Top Bottom