• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

wazoo

Wollan said:
Uncharted is one of those experiences that makes you question the stuff you've played on the platform before it. It's not just head and shoulders above most PS3 games technically, there's a couple of folks here standing on each others shoulders.

It is like Jak and Dexter on the ps2. No surprise here. I'm pretty happy, tech sharing is hot inside Sony.

JB1981

Snah said:
??? there is a LOT of recoil.

also, I don't understand how the game could be classified as 85% shooting.

Traversal/Shooting aspects are almost intertwined, and yes the core gameplay mechanis ARE shooting, but the game is still exploration/platformer based too.
haven't you only played the demo, though? .......

Wollan

Regarding the hidden treasures..
Someone mentioned the skulls at the end of the level. I can't seemingly do anything with them or reach them. Sure they are items to can be picked and not just scenery detail?

Also the medal system, must you get 10 headshots after each other to get it? I'm sure I had over ten headshots but not directly after each other. Is the medal system active in the demo?

BeeDog

Finally, FINALLY, a game with a human character where it actually feels I'm in total control of his movements. Couldn't care less how "floaty" it feels for others, I seriously dig that and wish more games had such nice controls. Drake moves like I want him to move, and the control scheme doesn't play its own tricks.

Superb demo, confirmed my interest in this game. :D

bud

i was under the impression that the shooting to platforming ratio was like 70/30 or 60/40. it's disappointing to hear that it's like 85/15.

Station42

finally, i played it...tnx again, nd, in the name of europe. :D

just two complaints, since i won't focus on how awesome the demo is, 'cus just too many of you already did :p ...well, i hope that the platform part in the complete game will not be so linear as it was in the demo, it felt very "obligated", even if paths are very well hidden/fused with the jungle...i'm expecting more freedom of choiche in climbing etc...
also the sixaxis for granades doesn't really work, or for better saying, does not sute the action, it jus doesn't feel right to me.

other than this, i really liked it! i just hope there will be a good balance between platform and shooting, 'cus my only real fear is it might become repetitive; story also is gonna play a big role in the game.

De-mon

Captured by me :D

81fmgpg.jpg

BruceLeeRoy said:
Hey guys,
I was working hard on making a really cool official Uncharted thread but I went on vacation and figured I would have enough time to post it once I got back but Steve got the drop on it first. I am just posting what I had finished cause I planned to launch the whole thing this Monday. I think from a information point of view you did a fine job Steve but the graphic representation is really bland for what this game deserves. Feel free to use any of the images for the front page to give the game the recognition it has earned on these boards.

87jdd6r.jpg

86fggtv.jpg

7y6bjti.jpg

You still have the old ugly Elena. Apart from that it looks pretty cool.

Mmmkay

gofreak said:
Don't know if it's realistic or not, but if you fire in short bursts there's relatively little recoil..but then if you hold your finger on the trigger, the recoil seems to increase.
Ahh, I was just firing in short bursts. I guess it's a compromise for the aiming system they chose.

Finally i've got the time to play this.
Uncharted is very well done. The animations are very nice even if there's sometimes weird thing that occurs with rocks or branches.
The jungle seems so real and the water (wet effects !!!!) OMG !
Combos are simple but fun and shooting is well rendered (head shots too)
Plateforming is well integrated but i hope the puzzles to be more sophisticated (not just looking for the good edge or rock to climb on).
This game is just outstanding and i know know that PS3 can do very very good games.

Last thing is that i really hope the final game to let us choose between english/french/etc. because the french actors are not that good (ok it's nice for a videogame but the videos that i've seen with english voices were very well done).

Brashnir

bud said:
i was under the impression that the shooting to platforming ratio was like 70/30 or 60/40. it's disappointing to hear that it's like 85/15.

Maybe it just depends on how you look at it. It could very well be that 40% of each level is platforming/puzzle solving, but due to the nature of the combat, the shooting segments take up 85% of the time playing, since you tend to remain in an area for a while as you fight through the waves of enemies, while you move through platforming areas quickly.

quetz67

Banned
bud said:
yeah with the shooting already in the demo they must have an army on that island...luckily the shooting part is well done, hope it doesnt get too repetitive.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
wazoo said:
It is like Jak and Dexter on the ps2. No surprise here. I'm pretty happy, tech sharing is hot inside Sony.
At the time, though, there were other PS2 games that could match J&D in a lot of areas and you also had XBOX and Gamecube hitting.

With Uncharted, I really do believe this is the most impressive console game yet released (well, almost released). Seriously, NOTHING looks this good. Up until playing Uncharted, I continued to prop up Gears of War as the best looking console game out there but that crown has been stolen. Uncharted does EVERYTHING better.

Everyone was raving about CoD4, but that game feels several years old in comparison. This also stomps the crap out of Heavenly Sword (with its AWFUL framerate). Absolutely incredible work by Naughty Dog.

I also love the gameplay. It's just so much fun.

yeah with the shooting already in the demo they must have an army on that island...luckily the shooting part is well done, hope it doesnt get too repetitive.
Well, I think the shooting is on par with Gears of War (or really close, at least) and that game was based entirely upon it. Mixing such high quality combat with platforming and adventure elements seems like a great mix to me.

Pachimari

Wollan said:
Regarding the hidden treasures..
Someone mentioned the skulls at the end of the level. I can't seemingly do anything with them or reach them. Sure they are items to can be picked and not just scenery detail?

Also the medal system, must you get 10 headshots after each other to get it? I'm sure I had over ten headshots but not directly after each other. Is the medal system active in the demo?
I don't think the medal system is active in the demo. I made 100 headshots in the full game, and you don't have to do it after each other. I can confirm that much.

bud said:
It's kind of how you see it actually. There IS a heck of a lot of shooting. It's like there's a firefight waiting for you all the time. You could make it 'shooting 70-30 platforming/puzzles' I guess. It just felt there were a lot of shooting, much more than I thought there would be.

Station42 said:
just two complaints, since i won't focus on how awesome the demo is, 'cus just too many of you already did :p ...well, i hope that the platform part in the complete game will not be so linear as it was in the demo, it felt very "obligated", even if paths are very well hidden/fused with the jungle...i'm expecting more freedom of choiche in climbing etc...
also the sixaxis for granades doesn't really work, or for better saying, does not sute the action, it jus doesn't feel right to me.

other than this, i really liked it! i just hope there will be a good balance between platform and shooting, 'cus my only real fear is it might become repetitive; story also is gonna play a big role in the game.
If you don't like the sixaxis, you can use the right analog stick. Story might play a big role in the game, (not a spoiler, just my impressions)->
but for me, it didn't blow me away unfortunatly (it depends how you look at it and what you expect) but it's still
very good and interesting! I still think Uncharted is the most fantastic game this generation so far.

Btw, how do you people chose language in the demo?

Goldrusher

Finally played it...

I already pre-ordered it so the demo didn't have to convince me, screens, trailers and all the info already did.

Anyway, graphics are wowsome. A little of tearing in the early stage of the level, but then it either vanished or I didn't notice it anymore...

Controls are perfect. At first, Nathan may seem a little floaty to some, but once you get master the constrols and work through the game, it all fits together perfectly.
I love the cover system and how you can jump/roll from cover to cover. Guns work fine, grenade throwing is nicely done, etc. etc.

Sound is awesome, surround effects nicely done. Great music too. Ignoring the game itself, it still sounded like a mix of the Tin Tin (cartoon) music and the Indiana Jones (movies) soundtracks. Great combination and very fitting for the game.

One minor issue is that when played on a Japanese console, you don't have blood...I really hope we'll be able to bypass that by using an American save file.
Altough the enemies react wonderfully to bullets, it still is easier when you see blood as well.

Looking forward to the full game.

le.phat

here's a euro who just got done playing through the first time. this is it guys, 4D!
seriously, i am grateful ND, for taking your time in polishing and fine tuning this game into the wonder that's playing before me right now. what a treat.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
number1jagsfan said:
Ah, I fucking deleted it! Download, go go go!

You had to download it again anyway, so don't worry about having deleted it. There was no patch for those who already downloaded it, just have to redownload the whole thing.

Raist

Banned
Just played through twice :eek:

Ok, first, this game is gorgeous. Wonderful environments, texture quality and diversity are impressive. A bit of tearing here and there (mostly while holding L2 and messing with the camera) but nothing really disturbing. Noticed pop in only once.

The animations are excellent, as expected. It is a bit "floaty" at times (but Drake does have a sense of weight, I see no problem when he jumps), I can understand why some people complain here. But IMO, it's purely a matter of gameplay balancing. I'm sure Drake wouldn't be as responsive if animations were more strict. Layering is really excellent, and as for textures, the animations variety is impressive.

I really like the gameplay. Super responsive, feels fun, aiming and grenade throwing are perfect. I had mostly doubts on this part of the game, but the demo hopefully makes those doubts vanish. The AI is VERY well done, and the game surely is challenging.

So, all in all, this game is day 1 confirmed. I only have minor complaints about it, such as the grenades that seem to have a 5cm range sometimes, or the camera that can occasionnally be a little bit annoying, but nothing that important.

Can't wait to receive my copy (my postal service better hurry the fuck up this time :p)

THIS is why I bought my PS3, as has been mentioned before me it makes you question the efforts of other developers...

Incredible shadows, fantastic textures and the animation is the best I've seen.

I'm really glad ND listened to the criticisms and worked on them, the gunplay really does work and the hit indicator is also much less distracting; surprisingly throwing grenades using the motion control is actually quite simple as well.

If Uncharted is received poorly (sales) then I don't know what Sony can do, this is a game I would buy a PS3 for.

Might have already been discussed, but does anybody know how to do the different combat moves? I've pulled off a few randomly, I'd like to know how to do the drop kick in particular.

Goldrusher

Anastacio said:
There's no 'option' menu in-game here, there was in the full game, but not in my demo..

press Start, then options, then language

On my Japanese system, I can only choose English and Japanese though.
The screen with the controller / button config does change depending on your XMB language.

DrXym

My impressions from the demo:

- Kudos for them fixing the non-US issue so fast. Kudos for Sony too for demonstrating that a corporate blog *can* work
- Highly polished demo
- Cutscenes are great
- Graphics in-game are undeniably beautiful with shadowing & water done extremely well. Motion blur kicks in too when you spin the camera.
- There were a few minor clipping glitches (hands or knees disappearing into rocks in some climbing animations). Nothing major
- Solid framerate, I saw minmal tearing, generally only when twirling the camera
- Game controls seems solid overall
- Combat is okay, but I haven't gotten into it yet
- Exploding barrels *are* extremely incongruous
- Camera was generally okay but sometimes did annoying things
- I felt slight motion sickness from all the constant twirling the view around looking for places to climb

Overall I think the final game is going to get (and deserve) 90% rating or more. I still plan on getting it assuming the reviews hold out.

Pachimari

Goldrusher said:
press Start, then options, then language

On my Japanese system, I can only choose English and Japanese though.
The screen with the controller / button config does change depending on your XMB language.
The problem is, there are no options menu in my demo, I just told you. I'll try again later though. =)

wazoo

dark10x said:
At the time, though, there were other PS2 games that could match J&D in a lot of areas and you also had XBOX and Gamecube hitting.

I agree, but they were not many on the ps2 (why bring Xbox/GC they were more powerful consoles ?). Ken K. named J&D the most beautiful game at E3 2001 for some reason. The other games worthy of it were MGS2/FFX/GT3. GT5P and MGS4 seems to be on track for being released 18 months after the japanese launch like MGS2/GT3. FFXIII being late may be more related to the ps3 sales than everything else.

What I meant overall is that the ps3 dev curve looks quite close to the ps2 back in 2001 (except Insomniac is better than they were in 2001 when they got the J&D engine because they could not understand ps2 hardware with ease).
As for western development, I do not think something was at J&D level.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Impressions:

-graphics were nice, but not mindblowing
-controls on the floaty side, overall solid though
-the gun fights felt repetitive towards end of demo

The game is a great 1st effort in a new franchise, no doubt. The final game will probably range anywhere from 8.0 to 9.5 depending on length and variety.

SpokkX

nice service of ND to fix the demo for us PAL users :)

anyway, game is great imo.. love the setting, control and animation. The shooting also feels great, surprisingly. Kind of feels like Goldeneye in the way the enemies react, love it

When there's something bad to say about the PSN i'm the first to bitch so it's time for me to say :

GOOD JOB ND AND SONY FIXING THE DEMO SO FAST.

Now keep up with quality games like this one and lot of content on PSN like what you've done for the last few weeks.

Ceb

Raist said:
So, all in all, this game is day 1 confirmed. I only have minor complaints about it, such as the grenades that seem to have a 5cm range sometimes, or the camera that can occasionnally be a little bit annoying, but nothing that important.

Yeah, the grenades are like firecrackers... that's the only problem I have with the combat aspect of the game.

Wollan

People really need to see this game in motion.
The environment moves at all times, smooth shadows follows and cast everywhere, haze, highly detailed textures, running and interactive water, insects, ambient sounds, hdr lighting. Absolutely insane looking. Never before has a game portrayed a living environment so convincingly. Uncharted just elbowed out Killzone 2 graphically until further notice.

deepbrown

Insane Metal said:
WARNING: TONS OF IMAGES!! :D :D :D :D :D

PS3 can´t handle high-res textures bububububu :lol

Can you PLEASE find my favorite corner in the demo. After the last conflict and you have to climb to get out to end the demo...instead of jumping the way you're meant to go, jump accross...and there's an amazing wet wall with more moss...and you can get in really close to drake's face :O

ps. thank you Chris for fixing the demo so quickly :)

deepbrown

I have now played the demo. There are definitely some wow moments.

Things I noticed and enjoyed:

+You can pause the movies - helpful when somebody rang me during it (damn them!)
+The best layering of textures I've seen. The rocks are wet when they need to bet wet, and on some walls, you have damp moss,very wet moss etc. Looks godly.
+Shadows and lighting...just amazing. No jaggy shadows! incredible.

+Love all his animations when you're not doing anything...getting out his gun when he hears a sound, patting himself down, crouching down, putting his arms on his hips (lol) And in general...by being responsive and having smooth animation...certainly the best animation to date.

+Shooting a toucan was fun
+Walking through deep water, felt like walking through deep water
+Wet drake...and more importantly, partially wet drake
+Crossing the log wasn't as hard as some people said - I didn't fall over once, sixaxis was a nice touch
+Oh and getting him right to the edge and watching him trying to balance on one leg is very entertaining lol.

+The music was godly...and reacting to what I was doing.

+Destructable cover was very fun - especially the stone ones.

+Nate's hair shader...and generally nate in the whole is amazing looking.
+His facial expressions during punching and combat, and his heavy breathing...all really adds the this.

+What I think is really important...is both here and at neogaf we were complaining about him floating...or partial floating on non-horizantle edges. This is completely gone - and spectacularly gone! People were commenting that it was a problem we were always going to have, but Naughty Dog have solved it. On leaning edges his feet would angle correctly, if there was a hole, one of his feet would go in the hole. He would rest his feet on the bodeis. Really really well done. Does even AC do it this well? I've seen him on roof tops with floating feet...Drake's bend down the right angle!

+Walking on bodies! Wow...this was cool...I'd just stand on a body and jump up and down on them watching them react...and then I'd push them off the edges. Very funny! lol

+Control wise...very good, very responsive, he did what I wanted to do, and jumping from cover to cover was very easy. I was worried I wasn't going to like the shooting...but it is very good fun, and running around trying to punch them out and pick up their grenades was really cool.

-I need to work out the timing on melee...but I did a neck snap and a flying kick kill as well.
-Minor tearing when I was pissing about.
-I don't want hints! So I turned it off :p

deepbrown said:
Can you PLEASE find my favorite corner in the demo. After the last conflict and you have to climb to get out to end the demo...instead of jumping the way you're meant to go, jump accross...and there's an amazing wet wall with more moss...and you can get in really close to drake's face :O

I could if I had a PS3 :lol

Pics are not mine... sorry :(

Top Bottom