• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Elios83

Naughty Dog has definetly an ace in their hands with Uncharted, the game sets a new standard for console graphics and it's really fun and intuitive to play even for people who don't like the cover and shoot mechanics common in fps games. A definitive must buy for PS3 owners.

PS: Many developers should learn how to do motion blur in an intelligent way from ND.

Kittonwy

Banned
Schrade said:

Oh sweet now I can download it when I get a new computer after work rawr.
Indifferent2.gif

Pistolero

What a graphical feast. Seriously, shadowing, textures and water effects are jaw-breaking. ND set a new standard as usual. Animation is excellent.
I have yet to go through the demo as I barely watched a friend play it this morning...gotta try it and post my impressions of the gameplay later ! :D

gogogow

Wollan said:
Uncharted just elbowed out Killzone 2 graphically until further notice.
I wouldn't say that. Uncharted looks amazing, but I don't think it elbowed KZ2.
It's really hard to compare the two. They are going for a very different style.
The one for a very vibrant and "cartoony" look the other for a darker and more realistic approach.

The post-processing, (dynamic) shadows and lighting in KZ2 is out of this world.
In Uncharted, the textures and organic environments (vegetation, water) stands out.

But we've seen so little of KZ2, it's not fair to compare them anyway.

lackey

interesting, i just preodered uncharted on amazon. first time i've preodered anything, the demo was that good! damn you naughty dogs! :D

wazoo

lackey said:
interesting, i just preodered uncharted on amazon. first time i've preodered anything, the demo was that good! damn you naughty dogs! :D

yes, I understand, I did the same on play.com.

wazoo

gogogow said:
But we've seen so little of KZ2, it's not fair to compare them anyway.

Killzone 2 is far from being finished, the texture engine will be changed, it will look even better but if it too late you may have to compare it to Resistance 2 and Uncharted 2.

Raist

Banned
deepbrown said:
WHAT!? Plus that guy needs to turn down his sharpness just a tad on his tv.

Yeah.
Sharpness is annoying, I don't know how to set it. At 0, everything looks super clean, but a bit blurry and it looks like there's some loss in textures details. At 3 there's a huge improvement on textures, but then it's not as clean. I've tried 1 and 2, but don't know how to set it, really. Annoying xD

Anyway. Another small complain : the cover is a bit too sensitive. Sometimes you just want to roll, but Drake rushes to the next closest wall. Would be perfect if you had to be a bit closer to a wall to make him take cover.

Kreuzader

I had a problem getting used to the regenerating health system and the inevitability of taking damage. I'm -really- obsessive-compulsive about completing games with maximum health (to the point where I'm playing sections repeatedly for no reason other than to get through with 100hp). Bullets hitting me within a half-second of popping out of cover was driving me insane initially.

But I guess the game is supposed to be this way - it's not 1 bullet that's so bad, it's the cumulative fusillade over a short period of time. I can't think of another game I've played where your hp restores relatively quickly like this (although I hear that's the case with Gears and Halo), but my concern that I could just hide out until I'm all better is alleviated by the relatively few hits it takes to kill the player, and the very intelligent AI.

Between the frantic gunplay and the fluid/natural animations, I'm sold.

jett

D-Member
For some reason this thread prompted me to rewatch some gameplay vids of KZ2, and well...the overall animation and way the firefights develop are definitely a few notches below Uncharted at the time being. :

womfalcs3

Banned
Do I suck? I can't get through the large fight on easy. I keep running out of ammo and eventually dying trying to use hand-to-hand combat. I lose after the third wave of pirates come at me.

Kittonwy

Banned
Raist said:
Yeah.
Sharpness is annoying, I don't know how to set it. At 0, everything looks super clean, but a bit blurry and it looks like there's some loss in textures details. At 3 there's a huge improvement on textures, but then it's not as clean. I've tried 1 and 2, but don't know how to set it, really. Annoying xD

Anyway. Another small complain : the cover is a bit too sensitive. Sometimes you just want to roll, but Drake rushes to the next closest wall. Would be perfect if you had to be a bit closer to a wall to make him take cover.

Yeah the cover is a bit sticky, I try to roll in between two cover but it's better to just run through, Drake is a fast run anyway.

Kittonwy

Banned
womfalcs3 said:
Do I suck? I can't get through the large fight on easy. I keep running out of ammo and eventually dying trying to use hand-to-hand combat. I lose after the third wave of pirates come at me.

I'm sorry but yes.
Indifferent2.gif

Yeah it's a bit challenging.

womfalcs3

Banned
Wollan said:
Do you take cover with O and aim with L1?

I do use cover, but after the first wave of pirates get killed, the others come at you so I have to move often.

In the two times I've tried that part, I get two of them come from either side of a wall.

Raist

Banned
I also have some difficulties in understanding how melee works exactly. If you're too slow, the ennemy will counter, ok. But is there still some kind of timing to pull out different moves ? Most of the time I just mash sq. tr. sq. to avoid being countered, but then I always pull off the same moves. Also, Are there any different combos than sq. tr. sq. ? I tried to, but looked like it never worked.

JB1981

I think I'm gonna play the game on Hard. It's a good challenge and not overly punitive. Things get pretty hairy but it never feels unfair. As long as your aim is on, you shouldn't have a problem. I like that the game forces you to be selective with your shots and preserve ammo.

I think the graphics are very impressive but I found the gameplay a bit lacking. Nice cover system similar to gears but not ass good imo. The demo dropped it from a buy to a rental for me.

sprocket

Banned
lol at the stealth trolls trying to dismiss the graphics. :lol

The gunplay was slightly better than GOW which is awesome.

Also There was hardly any platforming elements to judge in the demo but from the screens we have seen we all know its there.

Plus here was no puzzles in the demo again we all know is in the final game.

I love all the stealth troll.. "the demo knocked it down to rental" post as well. :lol you guys are cracking me up!

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
After the demo I'm buying this game day 1.

It's fun on hard mode. :D

Graphics are amazing.

Gunplay is a little loose and frustrating.

Drop kicking bad guys is awesome.

hmmm, definitely enjoyed it...the intro cutscenes was great...the graphics were fantastic, except the sparse grass and the bitmap jungle in the background...animation is the best Ive seen, noticibly. Gameplay was intense and fun...bat guys are definitely quite smart with their diving...oh and hand to hand is excellent.

I would not say it was necessarily better looking than KZ2....that game just blows me away, but it is prob the most impressive looking game Ive played, just above HS and R & C, and the gears

Smokey

Really enjoyed the demo. I played through twice on normal, and watched a friend playthrough on hard. Hard doesn't seem THAT hard, so I'm thinking I may play on that one.

Man this game looks good though. Best looking console game out right now, half the time I just stopped and looked around and couldn't believe what I was seeing on my TV.

I wasn't sold on the game before the demo, but I'm definitely buying this for sure now. I may even switch over my Assassin's Creed pre-order to this.

Kolgar

This game wasn't even on my radar, really. I'd half-dismissed it as "Tomb Raider with a guy." But last night I downloaded the demo and gave it a try.

Uncharted reminds me of a half dozen games, from Tomb Raider to the recent King Kong to 16-bit classics like Blackthorne and Flashback. The gameplay is tight and feels really, really solid.

I had fun playing it through on medium, and was sorry when it ended. I think what impressed me most was the feel of the game and the fluidity of the main character's actions.

I'll definitely keep an eye on this one now, to see what the reviews say and if there's a bit more variety to the proceedings.

Being a PS3 showcase game, however, I must say I'm a little underwhelmed with the visuals. This game is definitely in the top tier for this gen, but that's still just a little bit short of what Sony promised.

Rugasuki

Uncharted has been the #1 game I've been looking forward to since its first trailer. After playing the demo it remains that way. I don't know if it will be my personal game of the year but it will be close (probably between Mario Galaxy, God of War 2, Assassin's Creed and this). I could play the demo over and over without it getting old.

There are only a couple things I would change about the game based on what I've played. Firstly, the facial animations during the cinematic sometimes look a little off or strange sometimes. For the sequel I hope they use the same motion capture tech as Heavenly Sword used. The video sequences really look amazing so if they could get down the facial animations it would be perfect.

Secondly, I'd like to be able to squat down on one knee sometimes even when not behind cover. Maybe this is just because I've been playing a lot of COD4 lately.

I'd also want to get rid of all tearing but honestly I haven't noticed it much and usually it annoys the hell out of me in games.

Great job overall Naughty Dog.

Ceb

Kolgar said:
Being a PS3 showcase game, however, I must say I'm a little underwhelmed with the visuals. This game is definitely in the top tier for this gen, but that's still just a little bit short of what Sony promised.

Considering it matches or exceeds ND's first Uncharted trailer, I'd say ND and Sony have lived up to their promises on this one. :lol

tribal24

Banned
sprocket said:
lol at the stealth trolls trying to dismiss the graphics. :lol

The gunplay was slightly better than GOW which is awesome.

Also There was hardly any platforming elements to judge in the demo but from the screens we have seen we all know its there.

Plus here was no puzzles in the demo again we all know is in the final game.

I love all the stealth troll.. "the demo knocked it down to rental" post as well. :lol you guys are cracking me up!

and you would think after they drop ps3 to 399$ we wouldnt see this much trolling but in this gaf world its still happening -_- sigh trolls know exactly which game to pick>.>

Tieno

Insane Metal said:
WARNING: TONS OF IMAGES!! :D :D :D :D :D

PS3 can´t handle high-res textures bububububu :lol
Thos images aren't that good though (kind of messy and muddy), looks way better on my TV. TAPOUT (over at Teamxbox.com) needs to do some photos, that guy is a god when it comes to capturing screens from a TV.

quetz67

Banned
Ceb said:
Considering it matches or exceeds ND's first Uncharted trailer, I'd say ND and Sony have lived up to their promises on this one. :lol
and it is NDs first game for Ps3 we are not at all through with this gen yet

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
About balancing over logs with 6Axis

1-Look at Nathans arms

2-If they lean towards the Left, lean 6XS in opposite way to make his arms level again

3-If they lean towards the Right, lean 6XS in opposite way to make his arms level again

4-TEH END

wotter

Tieno said:
Thos images aren't that good though (kind of messy and muddy), looks way better on my TV. TAPOUT (over at Teamxbox.com) needs to do some photos, that guy is a god when it comes to capturing screens from a TV.
He already did though:
1-11.jpg

*edit: thanx Tieno, removed them. You already rehosted them.

jett

D-Member
Kolgar said:

What did Sony promise?

Tieno

Checked out the PS3 Hi-Def pic thread and here are some good ones
Wotter, be careful those are imageshack and if they get frogged you'll be banned. I've rehosted them on tinypic.

Tapout aka OMG
81yue7c.jpg

6qd5mp4.jpg

82sw3yb.jpg

7xxo7k0.jpg

6ptanbr.jpg

8anx7ut.jpg

I'll rehost some others too (don't want to get frogged)

j-wood

Man...GAF I have to decide. Either I get Uncharted this month, and ask for Assassin's Creed for Christmas, or vice versa. My wallet is really starting to hate November...it's close to going on strike. :(

Top Bottom