• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Tieno

j-wood said:
Man...GAF I have to decide. Either I get Uncharted this month, and ask for Assassin's Creed for Christmas, or vice versa. My wallet is really starting to hate November...it's close to going on strike. :(
Uncharted's release date is closer to christmas, while Assassin's Creed is possibly a 20-30 hour game reactions might to be very polar.

Firewire

Banned
j-wood said:
Man...GAF I have to decide. Either I get Uncharted this month, and ask for Assassin's Creed for Christmas, or vice versa. My wallet is really starting to hate November...it's close to going on strike. :(

Uncharted first, then AC.

WOW, as european I finally played the demo today. Best PS3 graphics so far but most of all, I must say I am impressed by the gameplay. The AI and the action are so good, every shot is fun. Thank you Nighty Dog, thank you for finally bringing a reason to own my PS3!

I can say many things about the game/demo but you've said enough.

Can't wait!

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
I also want to point out you can also individually flip the x and or y axis of both the camera and or the aiming in the options screen

That is, you have four independent adjustments:

1 Camera x axis:Normal or flipped

2- Camera y axis:Normal or flipped

3- Aiming x axis:Normal or flipped

4- Aming y axis:Normal or flipped

I am pointing this out to Evilore because it seems he had some trouble with this...

quetz67

Banned
jett said:
I wonder what this looks like on your average SDTV.
It looks marvellous...people tend to underestimate SDTVs

Neither the lighting nor shadowing looks worse (maybe even better), the great animations are the same and if you move closer to textures/objects you can enjoy all the detail.

Sure everything looks more crisp on an HDTV, but people thinking you cant see the difference between a PS2 (or Wii) and PS3 game on an SDTV need to have their eyes replaced.

j-wood said:

get Assassins creed now, save uncharted for christmas...thats what Im doing at least...Im really hyped for AC, but Im a big fan of ND, so I want to save that experience

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
One of the forumites over at Gamespot is saying that this game has been bumped up to next week. Has anyone else heard rumors of an early release. He says that EB's computers now show it for next week, and that Gamespot's release date on their website has changed, but it all sounds too good to be true.

Shins

Banned
Kleegamefan said:
I also want to point out you can also individually flip the x and or y axis of both the camera and or the aiming in the options screen
And with this game, I've finally set myself to "fix" my dependency on inverted controls for aiming/camera control. I'm tired of being shit out of luck for changing my look preferences in lesser games and demos where they decide such options are unnecessary.

I am going to die a lot for the first hour or so.

Aeon712

I'm going to give the demo another shot after being underwelmed my first playthrough due to the overly horrid camera. If I'm still not feeling it then it won't be a day 1 purchase like I've believed all these months.

Raist

Banned
Wollan said:
Regarding the hidden treasures..
Someone mentioned the skulls at the end of the level. I can't seemingly do anything with them or reach them. Sure they are items to can be picked and not just scenery detail?

Where are those ones ? You mean, right after the last platforming section ?

Also,
there's a skull with two tied carabines (that form a cross) at the beggining of the level. If you get close enough, there's a "L2" prompt. Dunno what to do with this xD? It's behing a bunch of trees so I doubt you can reach it)

AKS

Aeon712 said:
I'm going to give the demo another shot after being underwelmed my first playthrough due to the overly horrid camera. If I'm still not feeling it then it won't be a day 1 purchase like I've believed all these months.

WTF? "Overly horrid camera?" Hardly. I have had no problems with it, and you can even recenter it with the touch of a button. Try "Easy" if you are struggling.

Aeon712

AKS said:
WTF? "Overly horrid camera?" Hardly. I have had no problems with it, and you can even recenter it with the touch of a button. Try "Easy" if you are struggling.
Not having problems with the game at all, but the camera is bad(not Genji bad) but its bad. Folklores free roaming cam is sooo much better.

Goldrusher

Shins said:
And with this game, I've finally set myself to "fix" my dependency on inverted controls for aiming/camera control. I'm tired of being shit out of luck for changing my look preferences in lesser games and demos where they decide such options are unnecessary.

I am going to die a lot for the first hour or so.

Tip: ignore the weapon.

I used to play with inverted aim a lot, because I was controlling the weapon similar to controlling an airplane.
However, if you ignore the fact that it's a shooting game...and only focus on the crosshair on the screen...it's pretty easy to switch. In fact, it feels a lot more natural.

Firewire

Banned
Aeon712 said:

Jeez Aeon, first you dump on R&C now Uncharted! :lol

dfyb

Banned
Aeon712 said:
Not having problems with the game at all, but the camera is bad(not Genji bad) but its bad. Folklores free roaming cam is sooo much better.
:lol i like folklore but how is the camera so much better? both let you control it manually. i didn't have camera issues with either.

Brashnir

Aeon712 said:

Are you trying to play it like a game that operates the camera for you? I run around like it's a shooter and just keep the camera behind me and had no problems.

LoLLLERss!!
Awesomest game
that isn't wipeout
EVER!!!
The gun fighting is great and the hand combat is even better.
You can kill enemies by punching them in the BALLS!!! GOTY :lol
10 out of 10.

Tieno

Played a second time. After the first open firefight you have to platform up, and then there's this gate, up left there's a opening. Went there and I wasn't a sitting duck for the guys who were already there. Could pick them off one by one. Lobbed a grenade on some guy's head and after it bounced off his head he said "Uh oh" like he knew he was about to day and flew through the air as the explosion went off.
The fights are fun, best thing is seeing your enemies jump from cover to cover in these cool animations. This shotgun guy was coming closer and closer, covincingly jump-rolling into cover.
It's also cool to see them do the same animations Drake does when he's running and people are shooting at him.
Platforming went a lot better as you familiarize yourself with the way the animation system works.

Only I can't get the hang of the hard combo timing (square, triangle, square).
I also hope those guys don't say "shoot to kill" too often.
Max sensitivity needs to be more sensitive.

so November:

Uncharted, Assasins creed, Mass effect, Mario Galaxy and my birthday 8th november....

BEST MONTH IN GAMING HISTORY EVER? as so many 9+ games been released in the same month ever before?

Midas

Awesome demo, and I really like that you don't have unlimited ammunition.

The only thing that felt a bit weird was the lip sync on the characters in the intro, they looked really weird.

ChryZ

Just replayed the demo on hard! Woah, I liked it even more! Those pirates are awesome: flushed me out with granada, flanked me and rushed my cover ... this game will be full of win.

besada

Banned
womfalcs3 said:
Do I suck? I can't get through the large fight on easy. I keep running out of ammo and eventually dying trying to use hand-to-hand combat. I lose after the third wave of pirates come at me.

Quit running out to fight. Use the cover and roll between cover points. Also, if you run out into the field you will trip more enemies. Make them come to you, and if they're getting to close pop out and pepper them with a few bullets to get them to back off. You can completely control the enemy with hiding and suppressing fire.

Brashnir

robertsan21 said:
so November:

Uncharted, Assasins creed, Mass effect, Mario Galaxy and my birthday 8th november....

BEST MONTH IN GAMING HISTORY EVER? as so many 9+ games been released in the same month ever before?

You forgot a few...

COD4, Rock Band, and Crysis are all November too.

Pachimari

quetz67 said:
Assasins Creed first then Uncharted...because you might feel a little empty after you went through Uncharted in 9-10 hours
With lots of medals and 60+ unlockabels, you'll hardly feel empty. Those unlockables are great and are hard to earn, and you'll have other extras as well - and a whole new difficulty.

besada

Banned
Defuser said:
Anybody gonna attempt a melee only run through?

Already done it on Easy, Normal, and Hard. Hard took forever, with plenty of deaths. In all of them you essentially have to outwait the AI, except for at the log where you have to be fast and damn lucky.

deepbrown

The loading in this game is godly. You skip it straight away and it's there in the game! Amazing...if you die it'll put you straight back into the action. Fastest loading in a game I've seen before.

Oh and if you die in the water...Drake will float :p Nice touch.

Has anyone who has the full game tried to cheats we have found in the ARG... :p Apparently one of them "changes the way you play the game" or something.

antiloop

DSCF7877.jpg

DSCF7859.jpg

DSCF7917.jpg

Loved these shots. By dnpmakkah on TXB.

Thanks man glad you like it :D
Hey Wollan I have been working on a really bad ass official imagery for Killzone 2 I know your the guy for the info but I have got a ton of stuff im doing for your eventual thread Ill start throwing stuff at you when it gets closer to release.

painey

i re-downloaded it and played and it is just amazing.. i skipped the cutscene and didnt finish the demo because i didnt want to spoil it for when i buy the real game

Halvie

Banned
Wasn't really anticipating this game prior to the demo, but now I will most likely pick it up....really fun game. Looks great too, but not as good as the pics above my post. WTH is wrong with my tv lol

Captain Pants said:
One of the forumites over at Gamespot is saying that this game has been bumped up to next week. Has anyone else heard rumors of an early release. He says that EB's computers now show it for next week, and that Gamespot's release date on their website has changed, but it all sounds too good to be true.

Yep 11/15 is the date on the site, so like thursday, weird date.

Anyway Uncharted next week people.

Mifune

Mehmber
Hmmm, I think I'm coming around on the demo. Played through it a second time. Was more patient this runthrough, and ended up enjoying it quite a bit more. I still think there are TOO MANY enemy waves, but as long as the whole game isn't just shooting, I should be alright. It isn't just shooting, right? For those who have finished the game? There's plenty of platforming and whatnot?

Platform controls still feel a bit floaty to me.

This one is back on the to-buy list, pending some good reviews.

After playing the demo, I was very impressed, not only with the visuals (which in general are pretty good) but holy shit, Nathan animation is AWESOME. The multiple animations when he runs, covers, shoots, the facial animation ingame when a bullet impact near to you..

VonGak!

Banned
Insane Metal said:

Screw ND, here I have spent countless hours on playing smart telling people that developers use low(less) res ground textures to have more processing power for the rest (and more important) environment.

Quite a jump... by a mile.... above the ground textures featured in the "pre"-rendered E3 '06 video.
Not many devs can claim to be so spot on with their target videos and even less surpasses their target videos.

Top Bottom