• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Forsete

I've always wondered why the revolver in Half-Life is more accurate than any other the other weapons except the crossbow?

VonGak!

Banned
WasabiKing said:
Uncharted makes me question why a 9mm pistol is more powerful than an AK-47.
Has it actually been confirmed that pistol bullets hurt more in the game? Perhaps the gun is better due to the precision shorts taken.

Would be neat with a video clip confirming the difference... not that I doubt it as this is after all is a balancing trick used in many games so pistols wont become useless.

deepbrown

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
I agree that it's nothing like TR but it sure as hell isn't ICO either. I don't know where the hell you're coming from with that.

If any game could be compared to Uncharted, it's Gears of War. Both feel remarkedly similar. Too similar, imo.

Honestly, I would've prefered more Tomb Raider and less Gears.

You seem to misunderstand my point...I'm not saying it's like ICO. I'm saying there's a spectrum of action adventure games that looks like this...and how close they are to TR:

TR....................................................................................iCO.....Uncharted :)

Anywho...I had to buy a new ps3 after burning my old one.

besada

Banned
VonGak! said:
Has it actually been confirmed that pistol bullets hurt more in the game? Perhaps the gun is better due to the precision shorts taken.

Would be neat with a video clip confirming the difference... not that I doubt it as this is after all is a balancing trick used in many games so pistols wont become useless.

I tested them against rock objects and the pistol appears to be the exact same power on a per-bullet shot as the AK, if not a little more powerful.

Bebpo

Banned
It's too bad the game doesn't have online multiplayer. The engine is totally made for it.

Imagine a level where everyone can climb up the walls and platform around the arena like crazy while taking cover and firing at each other.

Also my main hope for the game is that it isn't completely linear. I've replayed the demo 3 times now, and there really isn't much you can do differently each time. It's not like one time you fight normal and then the next time you platform up to a high spot and snipe off enemies as they come. The closest thing to that is the 3rd gate where you can jump from the log to the window and shoot the first two guys instead of going through the gate. Game needs more stuff like that but more elaborate.

VonGak!

Banned
besada said:
I tested them against rock objects and the pistol appears to be the exact same power on a per-bullet shot as the AK, if not a little more powerful.

But do those take damage like the pirates? Anyway, so that should mean the AK47 has a plus in bullet spraying but won't have any advantage when doing precision shots where the two weapon types are... about equal?

Oh and thanks for testing it. ^.^

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Bebpo said:
Also my main hope for the game is that it isn't completely linear. I've replayed the demo 3 times now, and there really isn't much you can do differently each time. It's not like one time you fight normal and then the next time you platform up to a high spot and snipe off enemies as they come. The closest thing to that is the 3rd gate where you can jump from the log to the window and shoot the first two guys instead of going through the gate. Game needs more stuff like that but more elaborate.

I think they're referring to it as "wide linear". Reasonably directed, but reasonable freedom along the path at least at certain points. I've had a couple of instances of approaching things differently in different playthroughs, mostly because of varying enemy placement on each run, asides from the part you mention (e.g. one time I started a fight by shooting from a greater elevation before jumping down versus because there were closer enemies that time, versus dropping down the ledges before starting the fight etc. i.e. the difference between a longer range encounter and a closer range one)

Bebpo

Banned
gofreak said:
I think they're referring to it as "wide linear". Reasonably directed, but reasonable freedom along the path at least at certain points. I've had a couple of instances of approaching things differently in different playthroughs, mostly because of varying enemy placement on each run, asides from the part you mention (e.g. one time I started a fight by shooting from a greater elevation before jumping down versus because there were closer enemies that time, versus dropping down the ledges before starting the fight etc. i.e. the difference between a longer range encounter and a closer range one)

Yeah, I mean personally I think the best gameplay in the universe is MGS. MGS is a linear story where you move from one area to the next area in order, but within the areas themselves there is an ungodly amount of non-linear freedom. You can replay MGS1-3 a dozen times and play it completely different each time. I want all games to be like that.

Woohoo! I dropkicked a fool! Getting the hang of the melee combat now. The rest of the combat feels great too. You have to play smart and aggressive and it's really fun when you know what you're doing and are running, jumping and rolling between cover shooting faces and kicking ass like some sort of Ninja Jones. But I don't know if they should've made it possible to circle cover. If you wanna take cover behind a different side of the same object you have to "unsnap" and then position Nathan at that side. Feels a bit clunky. And I am a bit bothered by how the AI automatically knows where you are once it has spotted you, makes it hard, if not impossible, to flank or sneak up on people.

And the explosions look like poo.

teiresias

I can tell I'm going to suck at this game. I can't even get past the wave encounter at the arch ruins near the beginning - and that's on easy. Ugh!

Crisis

Banned
Mesijs said:
I've played the first part of the game six times now but I still love it.

Says something about the game, right?

It says something about the first part of the game. Play the rest and tell us what you think. :D

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Firewire said:
My blacks are black! When you guys get that burn in on those overpriced plasma's you will feel the power of the Bravia. :lol

The *ONLY* LCD I have seen with actual blacks are the Sammy 81-series (but they have issues in other areas to make up for it)

Unless you have one of these, your blacks, well....aren't :D

Crisis

Banned
teiresias said:
I can tell I'm going to suck at this game. I can't even get past the wave encounter at the arch ruins near the beginning - and that's on easy. Ugh!

Just take your time and you'll get the hang of it. Don't worry so much about it.

Kleegamefan said:
The *ONLY* LCD I have seen with actual blacks are the Sammy 81-series (but they have issues in other areas to make up for it)

Unless you have one of these, your blacks, well....aren't :D

The Sony Bravia series use the exact same panels as made by Samsung, they have the best blacks I've seen outside of a Plasma.

Mesijs

Crisis said:
It says something about the first part of the game. Play the rest and tell us what you think. :D

I completed the full game and it's great. :D Now replaying on Crushing difficulty. Completed on Hard.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Opus Angelorum said:
The Sony Bravia series use the exact same panels as made by Samsung, they have the best blacks I've seen outside of a Plasma.
The Sony LCDs do not feature a local dimming LED backlight like the 81 series Samsung.

Riddler

Anastacio said:
Completed the game yesterday and there's some platforming and great puzzles, though not one of them were any hard. It's most shooting over and over though, a heck of a lot of shooting actually. It is kind of hard to not say it's a shooter with platform elements on top of it. It is still an action/adventure game though.

That stinks considering ND said the game had harder puzzles than Tomb Raider. O'well I loved the demo and still cant wait to get it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
When you mean hanging from cover, what do you mean? I've been hanging off of ledges, but never really at a time that's opportune for shooting at enemies..

dralla

the area when you have to break down the second gate, hang from the hole on the left side. peek over and shoot the enemies

Tideas

Banned
WasabiKing said:
Uncharted makes me question why a 9mm pistol is more powerful than an AK-47.

have you shot both a 9mm and an AK-47 in real life? They both send out bullets. Where the bullets hit is what determines death.

One just does it more and faster. And less accurate I might add from the recoil

deepbrown

Anyone notice these symbols in the Halloween trailer?
1938546429_c7bb1dddef_m.jpg

Translated...it says "glided one"...in other words "El Dorado"

Mesjis try out these cheats:
L1 right square down left triangle r1 up

and

left right down up triangle r1 l1 square
(or it could be the same symbols backwards)

Tell me if they do anything...but put what they do in spoilers. Cheers.

VonGak!

Banned
Riddler said:
That stinks considering ND said the game had harder puzzles than Tomb Raider. O'well I loved the demo and still cant wait to get it.

Are the TR puzzles hard?

Anyway, it's easy to make hard puzzles. It's much harder to make the puzzles intuitive (which to me is a lot more rewarding than hard puzzles).

Tieno

gofreak said:
When you mean hanging from cover, what do you mean? I've been hanging off of ledges, but never really at a time that's opportune for shooting at enemies..
Remember that first big open firefight where a few waves of enemies come? After that you have to platform to higher ground, when you're there you have to open a gate...leaving you open for enemies to shoot if you don't get to cover quickly. You don't have to go through that gate, but you can go platform to the ledge on the left. Hanging on that ledge you can clear the enemies already there, lobbing grenades and stuff.
I hope this is but a small taste and they build on this concept of mixing platfoming with shooting, cause well, it's the only game so far that does both well and it can set the combat apart from other games.

gofreak said:

at the beginning of the demo just after you got the grenades
102af9e90e1a3cb910ed4874eb84d.jpg

(the enemy went behind me while i was taking the shot >_<)

I love how the platforming enhance the gunfight (y)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
dralla said:
the area when you have to break down the second gate, hang from the hole on the left side. peek over and shoot the enemies

Tieno said:
Remember that first big open firefight where a few waves of enemies come? After that you have to platform to higher ground, when you're there you have to open a gate...leaving you open for enemies to shoot if you don't get to cover quickly. You don't have to go through that gate, but you can go platform to the ledge on the left. Hanging on that ledge you can clear the enemies already there, lobbing grenades and stuff.
I hope this is but a small taste and they build on this concept of mixing platfom with shooting, cause well, it's the only game so far that mixes both well and it's fun.

Gotcha, thanks.

Station42

Anastacio said:
If you don't like the sixaxis, you can use the right analog stick. Story might play a big role in the game, (not a spoiler, just my impressions)->
but for me, it didn't blow me away unfortunatly (it depends how you look at it and what you expect) but it's still
very good and interesting! I still think Uncharted is the most fantastic game this generation so far.

but i liked it used to balance drake...i guess i'll just try to not use grenades :p

besada

Banned
Loudninja said:
Rocks do not equal humans dude :lol

No, but destructible objects are built to withstand a certain amount of damage, so using the same destructible object (piled rock cover) we can get a more accurate idea of how powerful the weapons are, since enemies won't exactly hold still for similarly targeted shots.

Pistol and AK require nearly the same number of shots (more shots on the AK actually) to destroy the same piled rock cover, while the shotgun requires significantly less shots. The shotgun at ten feet is roughly five times as powerful as the pistol and AK.

Tideas said:
have you shot both a 9mm and an AK-47 in real life? They both send out bullets. Where the bullets hit is what determines death.

No. What determines stopping power is hydrostatic shock which is largely determined by the size and velocity of the bullet (although heavily modified by the design of the actual slug), which also heavily influences how much internal damage is done.

The idea that any two guns are the same other than how fast they deliver bullets is just completely wrong.

besada said:

Did you take into account the fact that the rock walls break apart differently depending where you shoot? I totalled one with 22 bullets from the AK. I also routinely kill guys with two shots to the chest. Outside of headshots I've never killed anyone with less than 3 shots from the pistol.

acklame

Demo was incredible, can't wait for the full game.

I went to preorder Uncharted today and gamestop says it comes out 11/16. I hope that's true!

Dragon

Banned
Am I missing something or is this whole pistol vs. Ak-47 discussion moot? Didn't ND adjust the effect of an Ak-47 bullet vs. a pistol and it just didn't make it into the demo?

Loudninja

TheBranca18 said:
Am I missing something or is this whole pistol vs. Ak-47 discussion moot? Didn't ND adjust the effect of an Ak-47 bullet vs. a pistol and it just didn't make it into the demo?

Dont know dude :D

besada

Banned
freethought said:
Did you take into account the fact that the rock walls break apart differently depending where you shoot? I totalled one with 22 bullets from the AK. I also routinely kill guys with two shots to the chest. Outside of headshots I've never killed anyone with less than 3 shots from the pistol.

Yeah. I got it down to the break points. I'm not sure how you're only firing two shots from the AK, since every pull of the trigger fires out a burst of bullets. If you're talking two bursts, well, ok. Also if you're aiming the first shot in the chest, it's entirely possible the second is going into the head from muzzle climb, which still counts as a headshot and you only need one of those with either of the weapons.

You can total the rock walls with the same or less numbers of bullets from the pistol, by the way. Five or six shots for the shotgun. A grenade removes them completely if it's within a couple of feet. And hurls the stones some distance.

None of this is a big deal, by the way, or a complaint. I've just played the demo twenty times now and got a little fascinated with testing both the AI and weapon strength. Anything to keep running around until the full game drops.

jonabbey

I still think Uncharted has more than a whiff of Shadow of the Colossus in it. Not in the characterization or anything, but in the animation. SOTC had a lot of inverse kinematics (the horse, climbing the colossi), and Uncharted feels the same way in the platforming parts.

Which is great.. I can't think of a game I'd rather see inspiring this generation than SOTC.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
BruceLeeRoy said:
Alright changed it what do you guys think?
Great. She stands out too much though. Could you try and lower her contrast so she doesnt stand out as much. Make her darker to look like shes a background image not popping up front.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Tideas said:

Besada already threw this one out, but I'd just like to chime in with:

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Let's bring the comparison a step further apart to demonstrate its absurdity: a .22 Short bullet and a .50 BMG bullet hitting your chest. That also an identical outcome if striking the same spot? Not quite.

WARCOCK

Banned
Tideas said:

I agree with this man. Because gamers have lives and life needs gaming.

Top Bottom