• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

_RT_

Just played through the demo again.
Loved the neck snap when you sneak up on someone from behind.

Didn't catch that one before. :)

tribal24

Banned
jonabbey said:
I still think Uncharted has more than a whiff of Shadow of the Colossus in it. Not in the characterization or anything, but in the animation. SOTC had a lot of inverse kinematics (the horse, climbing the colossi), and Uncharted feels the same way in the platforming parts.

Which is great.. I can't think of a game I'd rather see inspiring this generation than SOTC.

im gonna agree with this though seems just about right

besada

Banned
EviLore said:
Besada already threw this one out, but I'd just like to chime in with:

I looked it up. With the AK we should be seeing around 1300 foot/pounds of energy at 50 yards, while the 9mm is doing something like 400 foot/pounds. A single AK bullet at ranges longer than you fire in Uncharted should be doing about three times the damage.

Pachimari

Riddler said:
That stinks considering ND said the game had harder puzzles than Tomb Raider. O'well I loved the demo and still cant wait to get it.
It's just putting 2 and 2 together, and you have solved the puzzle. They are easy but I still like them A LOT.

Station42 said:
but i liked it used to balance drake...i guess i'll just try to not use grenades :p
But you can use the tilt for balancing and analog for grenades.

TheBranca18 said:
Am I missing something or is this whole pistol vs. Ak-47 discussion moot? Didn't ND adjust the effect of an Ak-47 bullet vs. a pistol and it just didn't make it into the demo?
Again, I'll confirm, that the Ak-47 in the demo is how it is in the final game as well.

Btw, if people think they have seen a lot of barrels at one stage, wait until you see one chapter in the final game..
Oh, I remember I told people that dead bodies could be shot, after playing the final game yesterday, that's not possible. =)

conman

Tieno said:
Remember that first big open firefight where a few waves of enemies come? After that you have to platform to higher ground, when you're there you have to open a gate...leaving you open for enemies to shoot if you don't get to cover quickly. You don't have to go through that gate, but you can go platform to the ledge on the left. Hanging on that ledge you can clear the enemies already there, lobbing grenades and stuff.
Funny. I didn't realize you could open that gate. I've only ever jumped up through that hole to the left of it.:lol Keep learning all kinds of new things in this demo.

Favorite melee move so far: jumping scissors leg take-down. I also really like the sliding-under, kick to the nuts move. Sounds like there're a lot more context-sensitive moves left to discover. Very cool.

Greg

besada said:
I looked it up. With the AK we should be seeing around 1300 foot/pounds of energy at 50 yards, while the 9mm is doing something like 400 foot/pounds. A single AK bullet at ranges longer than you fire in Uncharted should be doing about three times the damage.
But this is a video game - the primary advantage is a faster rate of fire.

People are so fucking ridiculous.

womfalcs3

Banned
It shouldn't be hard to increase the coefficient of friction, right?

The bodies, when tapped, slide as if the the surface is slippery.

jakster4u

Whenever you run up to an enemy while their is a lot of people around its as if every guy is shooting at you at once. But when you are under cover, you get a couple of shots every once in awhile, when you stand you get some more. So its basically impossible to try to jump over cover to melee the guy standing right in front of you, without almost dieing. Instead you have to time when your going to pop up with what the guy right in front of you is doing. Why ND?

Snah

Banned
Greg said:
But this is a video game - the primary advantage is a faster rate of fire.

People are so fucking ridiculous.

Yep. That's the whole point. It's not meant to be realistic. It's used to provide for fun gameplay mechanics. It's best used when an enemy is rushing close to you and you can spray some bullets on him with no need for proper aiming. it takes him down fast in that scenario.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
jakster4u said:
Whenever you run up to an enemy while their is a lot of people around its as if every guy is shooting at you at once. But when you are under cover, you get a couple of shots every once in awhile, when you stand you get some more. So its basically impossible to try to jump over cover to melee the guy standing right in front of you, without almost dieing. Instead you have to time when your going to pop up with what the guy right in front of you is doing. Why ND?

Yes, why ND? Why do your bad guys shoot you when you're in the open and save some ammo when you're behind cover and try to flank you? Why, WHY!

deepbrown

womfalcs3 said:
It shouldn't be hard to increase the coefficient of friction, right?

The bodies, when tapped, slide as if the the surface is slippery.

I like that they move like that...I like to push them off edges and hear them go "thump" :)

deepbrown

jakster4u said:
lol. Try didn't tactics you muppet...it's quite easy to do melee with people around you...why not make sure they're NOT AROUND YOU!? Keep them on the side of the enemy you are meleeing...then they'll shoot him and not you :)

spwolf

EviLore said:
Besada already threw this one out, but I'd just like to chime in with:

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Let's bring the comparison a step further apart to demonstrate its absurdity: a .22 Short bullet and a .50 BMG bullet hitting your chest. That also an identical outcome if striking the same spot? Not quite.

its not really the same, it is much easier to kill with Ak-47 in short spaces than with 9mm in the game. At least what I noticed.

But people miss the point that real life is not like in movies. It is not easy to kill anyone and AK-47 is light, durable and not really precise. It doesnt jam easily so it makes spraying easy - spraying as in making a lot of noise and staying alive. Ak-47 is not really high powered weapon, but obviously it is more powerful than pistol.

This is not tactical shooter anyway.

deepbrown

deepbrown said:
Anyone notice these symbols in the Halloween trailer?
1938546429_c7bb1dddef_m.jpg

Translated...it says "glided one"...in other words "El Dorado"

Mesjis try out these cheats:
L1 right square down left triangle r1 up

and

left right down up triangle r1 l1 square
(or it could be the same symbols backwards)

Tell me if they do anything PWEASE...but put what they do in spoilers. Cheers.
DO IT! Or I guess I'll have to wait and see! gr lol:D

Goldrusher

Hmm...

What audio languages do you have on an American system ?

It appears the demo still isn't completely region-free.

With a European console, with for example a Dutch XMB, the audio in-game will be Dutch as well.
However, with the same 1200MB demo file, a Japanese console set to Dutch, will have the demo in English. And in the Options menu (in-game) there's English and Japanese only.

besada said:
Yeah. I got it down to the break points. I'm not sure how you're only firing two shots from the AK, since every pull of the trigger fires out a burst of bullets. If you're talking two bursts, well, ok. Also if you're aiming the first shot in the chest, it's entirely possible the second is going into the head from muzzle climb, which still counts as a headshot and you only need one of those with either of the weapons.

After some testing I'm pretty sure this is what's happening. It only ever works over long distances with the first shot hitting around the top of the sternum. It might be three shots as well if that's the minimum burst although I'm pretty sure I've squeezed off single shots with the AK so who knows.

Bebpo said:
Yeah, I mean personally I think the best gameplay in the universe is MGS. MGS is a linear story where you move from one area to the next area in order, but within the areas themselves there is an ungodly amount of non-linear freedom. You can replay MGS1-3 a dozen times and play it completely different each time. I want all games to be like that.
Fuck yeah I agree. It might be somewhat linear but the A.I. in MGS is so amazing the game will play different almost everytime.

spwolf

p.s. you can fire single bullet from Ak47 as well as shorter and longer bursts.
Its kind of funny how ppl complain about these things without getting the basics right.

dfyb

Banned
shotgun would be useful if aiming with it wasn't so slow. ak47 is pretty weak (feels like the mg/pistol balance in warhawk -- i liked the balance in warhawk, but it's not ideal for singleplayer). pistol is definitely my favorite and it gets bonus points for being usable while hanging on cover.

newsguy

jet1911 said:
I noticed that when you kill enemies with the "square, triangle, square" combo they drop more ammo.

I saw that the game told me to do that combo, but no matter how many times I tried it the enemy would punch me in the gut before the second move.

Loudninja said:
So what is yall favorite weapon? I really like the pistol, so fun to use

Pistol is the best I guess, but shotgun is fun because people fly back when you hit them, feels very powerful like a shotgun should.

Grayman

jet1911 said:
I noticed that when you kill enemies with the "square, triangle, square" combo they drop more ammo.
I think any melee kill does it. The hud icon for the ammo is more golden when you pick it up as well.

Phaethon0017 said:
Might have already been discussed, but does anybody know how to do the different combat moves? I've pulled off a few randomly, I'd like to know how to do the drop kick in particular.
When I did the dropkick I was running at an enemy who was facing me then pressed square. Just like the neck snap but I wasn't behind him.

jett said:
I wonder what this looks like on your average SDTV.
It looks great.

quetz67 said:
And how to get the shirt wet, but not his trousers? :p
you could try timing rolls over a puddle?

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
I agree that it's nothing like TR but it sure as hell isn't ICO either. I don't know where the hell you're coming from with that.

If any game could be compared to Uncharted, it's Gears of War. Both feel remarkedly similar. Too similar, imo.

Honestly, I would've prefered more Tomb Raider and less Gears.
Before knowing how similar Uncharted would be I figured that uncharted would also be the end of first year game that steps up the system.

Is there a way to invert the Y axis? It's only thing that's really preventing me from enjoying this awesome demo. I just can't get my mind to not do inverted controls. =(

besada

Banned
spwolf said:
p.s. you can fire single bullet from Ak47 as well as shorter and longer bursts.
Its kind of funny how ppl complain about these things without getting the basics right.

I know you can. I also know you have to just barely tap the trigger to do so. Its amazing to see you complain when I'm not actually complaining -- I love the game. Have anything interesting to say about the game, or did you just come in to feel put upon?

jet1911

donkey show said:
Is there a way to invert the Y axis? It's only thing that's really preventing me from enjoying this awesome demo. I just can't get my mind to not do inverted controls. =(

In the option menu, yes.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
besada said:

Yes. Also you should probably suffer severe injuries from the fall and be unable to move much. Also you shouldn't be able to recover from being shot just by hiding behind cover. WTF were you thinking Naughty Dog? This is more like some sort of video game than real life! Epic fail.

G-Bus

Banned
newsguy said:
I saw that the game told me to do that combo, but no matter how many times I tried it the enemy would punch me in the gut before the second move.

You have to time it right. When drake throws his first punch, right after he'll start to bring his hand back, hit triangle and so on. My main problem was i was trying to do it to fast.

Any one notice the big gusts of wind that blow leaves all over the place? i was standing behind a pillar, barrel went off, gun fire ringing all round and this big gust of wind picks up a bunch of leaves and swirls them around. Minor thing but was kind of holy shit moment with everything else going on. The more i play this the better it gets.

I just finished the game and hoooo boy, what a ride! You haven't seen anything yet!

While I'm not gonna spoil anything for the life of me, I can say that I managed to unlock the next-gen filter. Yup, it makes everything glow like crazy. Also, Drake has another outfit that's kinda like the original one but in black.

Loudninja

SiegfriedFM said:
I just finished the game and hoooo boy, what a ride! You haven't seen anything yet!

While I'm not gonna spoil anything for the life of me, I can say that I managed to unlock the next-gen filter. Yup, it makes everything glow like crazy. Also, Drake has another outfit that's kinda like the original one but in black.

Thanks dude, but you may wnat to put that in spoliers :D also how many hours did it take you to beat it?

Top Bottom