• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Firewire

Banned
I guess some people are really into gun effects and stuff, but all I care about is being able to kill the enemy. Pretty well every gun does that, I don't really care if one gun takes more bullets to get the job done than another.

Draft

The single shot from a handgun being more powerful than the single shot from an automatic rifle is classic game design.

CLASSIC.

besada

Banned
Firewire said:
I guess some people are really into gun effects and stuff, but all I care about is being able to kill the enemy. Pretty well every gun does that, I don't really care if one gun takes more bullets to get the job done than another.

I've just been shooting since I was a kid, and I find it interesting. No matter how many times I say it's not a big deal, some people get really defensive. I just thought it was interesting.

Lightning

Banned
Ok, I just played the demo and this game delivers epic proportions.

Positives:

The controls - They take some getting use to but once you do they are fucking amazing and help you feel into the game.

Platforming - Fucking awesome. I was expecting this to take a back seat to shooting but it definitely didn't in this demo and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Visuals - Those graphics are insane. Best looking game I have played this year on the PS3 without doubt.

Animations - Another outstanding quality in this demo. Fantastic is all I can say.

Gameplay - Naughty Dog set out to make the gameplay fun and they totally delivered.

Negatives

Difficulty - AI is hell aggressive resulting in constant adrenaline pumping but also results in a lot of deaths. I think I died about 8 times in the one spot. Once you get the controls mastered though, this will get better.

My GOTY confirmed. That demo now has me more hyped for the game then I was for Twilight Princess and I usually don't get hyped for games but that was just totally unbelievable. If you own a PS3 and you don't buy this game you are a fucking moron is all I have to say. This game is spectacular, best game released on the PS3 this year without doubt.

BUY THIS FUCKING GAME!!!!!!!

Firewire

Banned
besada said:
I've just been shooting since I was a kid, and I find it interesting. No matter how many times I say it's not a big deal, some people get really defensive. I just thought it was interesting.

Maybe if I had experience with a real gun, I'd be a bit more into guns having realistic effects. But it seems every game that has gun play in it sees the same arguments about realistic effects, it just gets meh! after awhile.

Firewire

Banned
Lightning said:
My GOTY confirmed. That demo now has me more hyped for the game then I was for Twilight Princess and I usually don't get hyped for games but that was just totally unbelievable. If you own a PS3 and you don't buy this game you are a fucking moron is all I have to say. This game is spectacular, best game released on the PS3 this year without doubt.

BUY THIS FUCKING GAME!!!!!!!

Ok I will!

besada

Banned
Firewire said:
Maybe if I had experience with a real gun, I'd be a bit more into guns having realistic effects. But it seems every game that has gun play in it sees the same arguments about realistic effects, it just gets meh! after awhile.

I've never actually participated in one of these gun discussions regarding a video game, and I'm sorry if I trampled anyone's toes. It was more an interesting theoretical issue than a complaint, at least on my part. I use the pistol exclusively anyway, because I like the precision.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
uncharted.jpg

mine's the best

Dante

iapetus said:
Yes. Also you should probably suffer severe injuries from the fall and be unable to move much. Also you shouldn't be able to recover from being shot just by hiding behind cover. WTF were you thinking Naughty Dog? This is more like some sort of video game than real life! Epic fail.

:lol reminds me of when people in CG talk were arguing over the physics of Legolas's horse mount move in The Two Towers. Who gives a shit really, it looked cool!

Draft said:
The single shot from a handgun being more powerful than the single shot from an automatic rifle is classic game design.

CLASSIC.

Almost as classic as ninjas, who can battle armed soldiers and mechs :)

spwolf

besada said:
I know you can. I also know you have to just barely tap the trigger to do so. Its amazing to see you complain when I'm not actually complaining -- I love the game. Have anything interesting to say about the game, or did you just come in to feel put upon?

well at that point you thought it was only burst of bullets, chill out. You were writing down your opinion, i just pointed it was wrong. No need to be defensive.

Dizzan

MINI Member
I was expecting more puzzle/platforming elaments. And from what Anastacio has been saying, it is 85% shooting. I'm slightly disappointed.

Then the demo, which on the first play though I thought was really good, not great. I didn't really like the shooting. But after playing throuh a few times and really getting the hang of the controls, the shooting is AFW!! I love it. It's challenging but rewarding.

I just hope Uncharted 2 has a greater focus on puzzles and platforming. I'd like 50% shooting 25% platforming, and 25% puzzles.

Anyway, can't wait for the 19th.

Also, Nice job Bruce

Forsete

Dizzan said:
I just hope Uncharted 2 has a greater focus on puzzles and platforming. I'd like 50% shooting 25% platforming, and 25% puzzles.
e

Hmm, I remember Naughty Dog saying the mix in Uncharted was similar, like 50/30/20.

Loudninja

Its not possible to do melee only, you have to kill one with a gun at the top.But I am doing good so far, all of them been melee but one

Erebus

Played the demo a couple of times and pre-ordered the game! I was gonna do it anyway though.

The game is amazing and probably the best exclusive PS3 title of the year.

Basch

Wow, I just have to ask. Where did you guys hear this was going to be a platformer? I've let this slide for quite a while thinking that it was a rare case and just a lapse in judgement, but now I am beginning to wonder. I've been following the game ever since it was announced, and I thought that it was stated clearly very early on that this was an action/adventure game in the vein of Indiana Jones and National Treasure. It was stated over and over again that this would not be a platformer. This game was about finding treasure that others did not want you to find: this is where the guns came in. They tried to make this game to be like a summer blockbuster movie filled with action, adventure, and romance (Think Transformers). Maybe, people should start considering to read at least a little bit of info on the game before playing it as to avoid some misconceptions. Oh well, it must of been the recent spike in popularity. Some may have saw the name of the developer, Naughty Dog, and thought 'Ooh, Crash Bandicoot and Jak and Daxter... Yeah platforming!'. Sorry, just a little venting, but, in truth, the ones that are disappointed have only themselves to blame (in reference to the concepts).

Ok, now that that discussion has ended, let me add something else to the table.

The way the games portrays black people in this game is kind of racist. What with all the jumping around as if they're monkeys

/cue 20 pages

Lightning

Banned
Dizzan said:
I was expecting more puzzle/platforming elaments. And from what Anastacio has been saying, it is 85% shooting. I'm slightly disappointed.

Then the demo, which on the first play though I thought was really good, not great. I didn't really like the shooting. But after playing throuh a few times and really getting the hang of the controls, the shooting is AFW!! I love it. It's challenging but rewarding.

Anyway, can't wait for the 19th.

Also, Nice job Bruce
The demo didn't have 85% shooting imo, there was a bit of shooting but you were not shooting for 85% of the time. Definitely not.

But the demo was shortish and there were passages were you didn't shoot enemies or had to platform to the next section after killing enemies. I think the mix was great, we didn't see anything in the way of puzzles but the platforming itself was very nice and well implemented I thought.

I also enjoyed how you have to grab fallen enemies ammo and take their weapons. Nice touch.

Basch

Forsete said:
Hmm, I remember Naughty Dog saying the mix in Uncharted was similar, like 50/30/20.

Well, many term platforming as how to get from point A to point B. And from what I have heard, that sounds a bit right. But if I could adjust it a little more based on others' impressions from the game, I would say 65/20/15. At least, this is what it sounds like what Naughty Dog was trying to aim for.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
The demo really surprised me. The lighting and textures are incredible. Finally, A.I that doesn't stay put in one place or run in like idiots. I like how they flank, use cover and try to sneak up on you. :lol Depending on certain criteria, I actually might get this day one.

iapetus said:
Yes. Also you should probably suffer severe injuries from the fall and be unable to move much. Also you shouldn't be able to recover from being shot just by hiding behind cover. WTF were you thinking Naughty Dog? This is more like some sort of video game than real life! Epic fail.

Wouldn't that be awesome though, if Drake twisted his ankle a few minutes into the game and was forced to abandon his quest for now? Cue Uncharted II: Drake's Second Attempt.

Loudninja

fistfulofmetal said:
Ok, now that that discussion has ended, let me add something else to the table.

The way the games portrays black people in this game is kind of racist. What with all the jumping around as if they're monkeys

/cue 20 pages

No just not, I am black, and I dont give a crap!:D

Wouldn't that be awesome though, if Drake twisted his ankle a few minutes into the game and was forced to abandon his quest for now? Cue Uncharted II: Drake's Second Attempt.

Than mr fucking convoy takes over

Timbuktu

I finally found some time to play the demo and I'm as impressed with the environment and the animation a everyone else here. I also quite like Drake as a character, but somehow I was expecting him to chicken out of gun fights, bad guys would run after him and he would run away, involving plenty of platforming in the process (think Apocalypto). Are there other parts of the game more like that?

I mean, in the demo you are so outnumbered by the enemies, I can't see Drake going after them. The problem I have is that Drake seems to be starting the fights, when it should be the bad guys chasing after him, it's just a bit out of character.

I enjoyed the shooting, but I must echo the sentiment that it feels a bit fiddly now after playing RE4 Wii, I don't know where exactly I'd be aiming when I come out from cover.

Wollan

Anyone remember comments heard during firefights? Post them.

Drake: [Under fire]'How do I always end up in this mess!?'
Drake: [Grenade]'Oh boy!'
Drake: [Knocked a guy out]'And stay down!'
Drake: [Receiving grenades]'Swe-e-t!'
Enemy: 'Come out you asshole!'

Loudninja

Pirate:Right between the eyes
Pirate: you going down airplane man* or something like *
Pirate:Not so tough after all
Pirate:He is over there
Pirate:you will pay for that

Dante

Timbuktu said:
I finally found some time to play the demo and I'm as impressed with the environment and the animation a everyone else here. I also quite like Drake as a character, but somehow I was expecting him to chicken out of gun fights, bad guys would run after him and he would run away, involving plenty of platforming in the process (think Apocalypto). Are there other parts of the game more like that?

I mean, in the demo you are so outnumbered by the enemies, I can't see Drake going after them. The problem I have is that Drake seems to be starting the fights, when it should be the bad guys chasing after him, it's just a bit out of character.

I enjoyed the shooting, but I must echo the sentiment that it feels a bit fiddly now after playing RE4 Wii, I don't know where exactly I'd be aiming when I come out from cover.

Fortune and glory........Fortune and glory.

Dizzan

MINI Member
I'm just working on what Anastacio has said about the full game. He said it's about 85%shooting.

I love the demo and I know I will love the full game. I just hope the full game and further sequels include more platforming and puzzle elements.

YYZ

What's the correct timing to do a melee combo? Specifically the square-triangle-square combo. It never works for me and I end up just pounding square.

the funniest by far for me was when I was shooting at one enemy while two others were firing at me, as I popped out to shoot the guy one last time the other two hit me at the same time and my screen went grey. In real life I said out loud "unbelievable" and right after that Nathan said "un-freaking-believable" in the game. I think it was unbelievable atleast, I know I said the word then Nathan said it while adding freaking.

YYZ said:
What's the correct timing to do a melee combo? Specifically the square-triangle-square combo. It never works for me and I end up just pounding square.

Just do it slower then you're used too and you'll get it working.

Feels like Heavenly Sword combos, I had a hard time adjusting to them too.

Usually I push the next button as the current hit connects or something like that, hard to explain but should be that hard.

Basch

Dizzan said:
I'm just working on what Anastacio has said about the full game. He said it's about 85%shooting.

I love the demo and I know I will love the full game. I just hope the full game and further sequels include more platforming and puzzle elements.

I know, but it just sounds like to me that there are some who would rather want it to become a platformer than an action/adventure game. I'm just simply stating people shouldn't be surprised when the game is anything but one. It was meant to be an action/adventure game. That is what the developers wanted. I'd just prefer that people accept a game for what it is. And I didn't mean that in a bad way. I just meant that the developers wanted it to play the way it does; they wanted people to enjoy their game for what they wanted it to be: not something else. That just removes all the art that has already been established in the game. I don't want to see a game that they don't want to make.

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
Just finished the demo. That was some impressive shit. The faces, the voice acting-- EVERYTHING about this game screams AAA. The cover system is very intuitive, making firefights highly enjoyable.

This one looks like a winner.

spwolf

jakershaker said:
Just do it slower then you're used too and you'll get it working.

Feels like Heavenly Sword combos, I had a hard time adjusting to them too.

Usually I push the next button as the current hit connects or something like that, hard to explain but should be that hard.

yeah, it has to be slower, as if you are pulling your hand one after another... unlike in other games where you tap it quickly and then wait for animation to finish... timing has to be pretty good.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Basch said:
I know, but it just sounds like to me that there are some who would rather want it to become a platformer than an action/adventure game. I'm just simply stating people shouldn't be surprised when the game is anything but one. It was meant to be an action/adventure game. That is what the developers wanted. I'd just prefer that people accept a game for what it is. And I didn't mean that in a bad way. I just meant that the developers wanted it to play the way it does; they wanted people to enjoy their game for what they wanted it to be: not something else. That just removes all the art that has already been established in the game. I don't want to see a game that they don't want to make.

Like I said, after playing through a few times, the shooting feels great and really natural. Someone brought up a really good point in the other Uncharted thread (Why 2 threads?? Merge them mods!) that Drake is looking for hidden treasure and should be avoiding the bad guys rather than instigating fire fights. It gives the sense that Drake is less of an everyday man and more of a bad ass.

Anyway I feel like I'm just nitpicking. Ive never anticipated a game as much as this. From when I firt saw it, this looked to be my ultimate game, and the demo shows that it will come reall close to that. Maybe even exceed expectations in some cases.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So I was behind cover and an enemy guy jumps out and start just unloading his pistol wildly, shooting in all directions like a retard... on his last shot I pop out and shoot him in the face.

Drake said something hilarious right after the headshot, but I forgot exactly what. What a great moment... so funny. Wish I could remember exactly what he said.

Loudninja

recklessmind said:
So I was behind cover and an enemy guy jumps out and start just unloading his pistol wildly, shooting in all directions like a retard... on his last shot I pop out and shoot him in the face.

Drake said something hilarious right after the headshot, but I forgot exactly what. What a great moment... so funny. Wish I could remember exactly what he said.

did he say right between the eyes?

Bebpo

Banned
Uncharted is going to get nailed in the reviews for having no multiplayer. It's basically Sony's answer to Gears of War but with no online co-op or vs. multiplayer.

I'll be surprised if gamespot gives it a 9.0 or higher.

Evolved1

Nah... it was something funnier. I'm going to try and do it again.

I've played this demo like 20 times. Love this game.

(Even though the platforming is kinda meh)

Loudninja

recklessmind said:
Nah... it was something funnier. I'm going to try and do it again.

I've played this demo like 20 times. Love this game.

(Even though the platforming is kinda meh)

yeah, I love it,i notice, people with shot guns are more confident

Wollan

But it does push the console graphics benchmark further(with style) and it's supposedly a longer game than Gears and also the story is supposedly really good.
The game is quite a unique blend.

lupinko

Simply wow, ND did not disappoint, oh boy, I'm going to be incredibly happy on the 20th. =)

Oh right, it seems that ND followed Insomniac when it comes to playing games on NTSCJ consoles, anyone know the workaround to have blood in Uncharted? The bloodied screen that I see in the videos is just gray now.

I know for Resistance it was just using a US gamesave.

EDIT: Whoops, if it is like Resistance, we won't be able to find out until the 20th then. lol

kruskev

The ground textures in uncharted look really good, but it is kind of dissapointing that there is no terrain deformation at all when the character walks over a puddle of mud.

Chromax

Bebpo said:
Uncharted is going to get nailed in the reviews for having no multiplayer. It's basically Sony's answer to Gears of War but with no online co-op or vs. multiplayer.

I'll be surprised if Gamespot gives it a 7.0 or higher.

Timbuktu

Dizzan said:
Like I said, after playing through a few times, the shooting feels great and really natural. Someone brought up a really good point in the other Uncharted thread (Why 2 threads?? Merge them mods!) that Drake is looking for hidden treasure and should be avoiding the bad guys rather than instigating fire fights. It gives the sense that Drake is less of an everyday man and more of a bad ass.

Anyway I feel like I'm just nitpicking. Ive never anticipated a game as much as this. From when I firt saw it, this looked to be my ultimate game, and the demo shows that it will come reall close to that. Maybe even exceed expectations in some cases.

yeah. I just thought that the Drake you see in the cutscene who goes "crap, crap crap" and hesitates jumping out of the plane wouldn't see ten to twenty guys with automatic weapons and run straight towards them with a pistol. His strength might not be his skills with guns but how he uses the environment to his advantage. This really has less to do with the gameplay than with the character. I also thought that his priority would be to find the girl first, so at that point of the demo I was seriously looking for another way than to go down and shoot everyone, even if that was awesome and fun.

womfalcs3

Banned
Bebpo said:

Bioshock and Ratchet weren't penalized. EDIT: In terms of overall average in the ratings

Evolved1

I'd prefer the shotgun had a stock.

I also wish this game had an old WW2 era bolt-action rifle (no scope).

An M1 would be nice too...

Top Bottom